Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Alkers wrote: »
    I've been having similar problems lately, turn on sitting room lights - Xbox will turn on too

It it on a smartplug? Perhaps a better solution than putting it in a room on its own (as I suggested before) is checking what the socket has been designated as in the Home app - click on the device icon, then the cog, and look at the device type. If it's been listed as a light, it will turn on with the other lights in that room I believe. So set it to outlet or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

nephster wrote: »
    It it on a smartplug? Perhaps a better solution than putting it in a room on its own (as I suggested before) is checking what the socket has been designated as in the Home app - click on the device icon, then the cog, and look at the device type. If it's been listed as a light, it will turn on with the other lights I believe. So set it to outlet or similar.

This is the answer by default smart plugs seem to default to a light socket and be lumped in with other smart lights in a room on google home.

I had to do as your saying recently on a teckin smart socket that had done this, I changed it on the google home app and it is now separated from the lights but still in the same room.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

It it on a smartplug? Perhaps a better solution than putting it in a room on its own (as I suggested before) is checking what the socket has been designated as in the Home app - click on the device icon, then the cog, and look at the device type. If it's been listed as a light, it will turn on with the other lights in that room I believe. So set it to outlet or similar.

No it's not on a smart plug, the xbox is compatible with google home also, which makes it even more odd.

This is the answer by default smart plugs seem to default to a light socket and be lumped in with other smart lights in a room on google home.

I had to do as your saying recently on a teckin smart socket that had done this, I changed it on the google home app and it is now separated from the lights but still in the same room.

Interesting that works for you! I've just tried to practice what I preached (with an Innr Hue-compatible Zigbee plug) and it comes on and off with the lights no matter what I do if in the same room. The Hue ecosystem is very light-centric obviously, and even though it sees it in Hue as an on-off switch it seems it still treats it like a light coming on with the other lights in the room.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone with Zigbee sockets rather than Wi-Fi ones if they have the same issue.

No it's not on a smart plug, the xbox is compatible with google home also, which makes it even more odd.

Odd indeed! If you go into the Device Settings for the Xbox in the GH app, and look at the bottom, I think you should see something telling you if it's connected through a skill and what device type it is. For example, the control I have set up for my original Xbox (!!!) is connected through Harmony, and shows as device type: remote control. I'm curious what device type it thinks the Xbox is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

Odd indeed! If you go into the Device Settings for the Xbox in the GH app, and look at the bottom, I think you should see something telling you if it's connected through a skill and what device type it is. For example, the control I have set up for my original Xbox (!!!) is connected through Harmony, and shows as device type: remote control. I'm curious what device type it thinks the Xbox is...

Connected through: Xbox
    Device type: game console

Connected through: Xbox
    Device type: game console

Which is all as it should be, I'd say; you might try removing and readding the action if you haven't tried that already (is this still technically a beta action? It was last year). After that, if it kept happening I'd generally tell people that their tech is haunted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I've just got the Nest hub.

When swiping down to look at rooms it's very hard to see what's turned on and what's off?

Like if the mini is on in one of the rooms when I look at the hub it doesn't show anything compared to the home app on my phone that allows you to see what's on and off.

Any ideas if I'm doing something wrong?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Never really used the hub for that, it’s control/viewing etc but not configuration the way the app is. Eg if I turn off next cams/doorbell/hub max, can’t turn them back on from hub, need to do it from app.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

copacetic wrote: »
    Never really used the hub for that, it’s control/viewing etc but not configuration the way the app is. Eg if I turn off next cams/doorbell/hub max, can’t turn them back on from hub, need to do it from app.

Well it's not really control and viewing though as you cannot see what's on and what's off. Makes it a little pointless feature, easily could be much better.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

Hi,
    I recently purchased a google nest hub. It’s great, but the one thing which grates me is the news. When I play news, the rte news is sometimes days out of date. How do I get it to play the most recent rte news? I have bbc news never any issues with it being old... thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

emclau wrote: »
    Hi,
    I recently purchased a google nest hub. It’s great, but the one thing which grates me is the news. When I play news, the rte news is sometimes days out of date. How do I get it to play the most recent rte news? I have bbc news never any issues with it being old... thanks!

I believe it's an issue with rte

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

McGaggs wrote: »
    I believe it's an issue with rte

Thanks.. I believe I may also have just answered my own question when I seen the reviews on this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/RTÉ-News/dp/B01N32X6LB

Out of interest what then is the best alternative up to date audio source for Irish news in google assistant? Thanks!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

emclau wrote: »
    Thanks.. I believe I may also have just answered my own question when I seen the reviews on this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/RTÉ-News/dp/B01N32X6LB

Out of interest what then is the best alternative up to date audio source for Irish news in google assistant? Thanks!

I use Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Interesting101

Hey Guys,

New(ish) to using google assistant / routines from my phone.

Is it possible to play weather / news from ggogle asistant but have it cast to my chromecast audio.

So far ive only been able to get spotify / tune in radio content to cast.

Ideally id like to setup a routine for "Good Morning".
    Have it cast - Weather , News Headlines and then play radio station.

Any ideas ?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Anyone having issues with their Google Homes today?

Specifically; hearing a command, processing the speech to text correctly and then not executing it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Anyone having issues with their Google Homes today?

Specifically; hearing a command, processing the speech to text correctly and then not executing it.

The last few days including today have not been the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bossdrum

I haven't been able to set a radio alarm for a few weeks.
    Has anyone been able to set one up recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭culsoh

Can someone help me please...

Last week I changed back to EIR and received a new modem. Since then my Google home or mini won't connect. I've uninstall and tried to set them up again but at the last stage, after I've heard the ding sound during set up it says Could not communicate with your Google Home.

Anyone any ideas what I can do??? I am lost without the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Is the 2.4 GHz network enabled on your modem? I don't think the Google devices can use the 5 GHz network.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Is the 2.4 GHz network enabled on your modem? I don't think the Google devices can use the 5 GHz network.

All mine are on 5GHz

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Anyone any suggestions on how to force the Google nest cam to connect to 5ghz via an eero device?

It's connected to 2.4ghz at the minute, and I'd like to change it to 5to see if there's any improvement on quality and connection reliability.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭culsoh

How would I check that?
    I rang EIR support yesterday, waited 30 mins and then when the operator picked up, the call was terminated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

All mine are on 5GHz

You're right. I just checked mine and they are all on the 5GHz network. Must be some other home automation devices I'm thinking of.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Anyone any suggestions on how to force the Google nest cam to connect to 5ghz via an eero device?

It's connected to 2.4ghz at the minute, and I'd like to change it to 5to see if there's any improvement on quality and connection reliability.

Thanks

You need to have different SSIDs for the two different bands, that way you can force a device to connect to one or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

You need to have different SSIDs for the two different bands, that way you can force a device to connect to one or the other.

Or just enable band steering of the router supports it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Thanks

You can't, I think there's a EU rule that outdoor kit has to be 2.4 so Google won't allow it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9246544?hl=en#:~:text=Note%3A%20In%20the%20United%20States,use%20the%202.4GHz%20band.

Looks like it's worldwide, or just outside of the US, not just EU which makes outdoor stuff 2.4.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Thanks lads, looks like the eero isn't going to solve my problem either, I've the router in the sitting room, and the nest cam is outside the house (sitting room external wall)

Still getting intermittent camera disconnected warnings. :mad:

Anyone any ideas?

Maybe I should try switching all my other devices (few Google homes 4 in total) smart TVs over to 5ghz and keep the nest camera and the smart plugs (2 of) and bulbs (2 of) on the 2.4?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Thanks lads, looks like the eero isn't going to solve my problem either, I've the router in the sitting room, and the nest cam is outside the house (sitting room external wall)

Still getting intermittent camera disconnected warnings. :mad:

Anyone any ideas?

Maybe I should try switching all my other devices (few Google homes 4 in total) smart TVs over to 5ghz and keep the nest camera and the smart plugs (2 of) and bulbs (2 of) on the 2.4?

Yes, rename your 2.4ghz with a different SSID to 5ghz and move your cameras over

Advertisement