Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Bit of a long shot, but I've the new Chromecast and have a Logitech Harmony hub connected to it to replace the remote. All works fine except for in the Eurosport Player app, the navigation buttons don't work. Select and back do work. Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Anyone using or have insight into the new Chromecast with Google TV? I'm using Netflix on my slightly older smart tv, and it has Amazon Prime, but missing a host of other newer apps such as NowTV, Disney Plus, etc, and hoping I can replace my existing Chromecast Ultra with the new one and have all the streaming apps in one handy location (and should be able to control with voice, can't do that with the TV's apps)

Edit: nevermind that, I see it's only shipping with delivery ETA around 1-2 December... So essentially a pre-order! Went ahead with the ethernet adapter too as I've a powerline adapter nearby, better connection :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

AngelaRI wrote: »
    Anyone using or have insight into the new Chromecast with Google TV? I'm using Netflix on my slightly older smart tv, and it has Amazon Prime, but missing a host of other newer apps such as NowTV, Disney Plus, etc, and hoping I can replace my existing Chromecast Ultra with the new one and have all the streaming apps in one handy location (and should be able to control with voice, can't do that with the TV's apps)

AFAIK it's a Android TV box which means that anything that's available on the Play Store for Android TV will work on it so it's got a lot more functionality than the Chromecast Ultra, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

AngelaRI wrote: »

Edit: nevermind that, I see it's only shipping with delivery ETA around 1-2 December... So essentially a pre-order! Went ahead with the ethernet adapter too as I've a powerline adapter nearby, better connection :)

Now TV is not available for Android TV (what Google TV is based on) yet. You'll have to cast it like before until they release it. It'll be soon, they have a version out for Sony TV's, other Android TV will follow

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Bit of a long shot, but I've the new Chromecast and have a Logitech Harmony hub connected to it to replace the remote. All works fine except for in the Eurosport Player app, the navigation buttons don't work. Select and back do work. Anyone any ideas?

Well, does the navigation work in that app with the original remote? The Harmony should be sending identical IR commands so would be odd if it didn't work in that one app but the original did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

nephster wrote: »
    Well, does the navigation work in that app with the original remote? The Harmony should be sending identical IR commands so would be odd if it didn't work in that one app but the original did.

Yes it does. And every other app I've tried works fine. Just seems to be a problem with Eurosport. By the way the Harmony is connected to the Chromecast by bluetooth - I should have said I'm using a hub.

On another note, RTE player seems to work fine after an install, but the following day won't start up and gives an android error logo in the top left and I've to reinstall :/

Not plain sailing so far with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

On another note, RTE player seems to work fine after an install, but the following day won't start up and gives an android error logo in the top left and I've to reinstall :/

I see this on my nvidia shield and on the Chromecast tv. It's been a problem on the nvidia shield for over a year. Rte could do with fixing it as it renders the app useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

Nedved85 wrote: »
    I see this on my nvidia shield and on the Chromecast tv. It's been a problem on the nvidia shield for over a year. Rte could do with fixing it as it renders the app useless.

There are actually two RTE Player apps in the Play store, both almost identical and neither mention Android TV. The one with the square corners on the logo is the standard android app for phones and tablets. The one with the rounded corners on the logo is specifically for Android TV.

Of course, neither of them actually work on Android TV.

R

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

RunDMC wrote: »
    There are actually two RTE Player apps in the Play store, both almost identical and neither mention Android TV. The one with the square corners on the logo is the standard android app for phones and tablets. The one with the rounded corners on the logo is specifically for Android TV.

Of course, neither of them actually work on Android TV.

R

The TV one works perfectly once, if you want to use it a second time you have to clear the app data and register the device again, then it'll work again. Major pain in the **** but it's rarely I use that app so not the end of the world.

This is what you get with the RTE app on any Android TV device. I have the exact same issue with a Shield. Rte don't look like they're capable of making a working app, it's been this way for ages but in fairness the adverts play perfectly when it works

You can clear data in the rte app in settings to get it working again but you'll have to do this nearly every time. Myself, I've given up on it as it's crashed half way through shows and I've had to start again and ensure all the ads again with no fast forward!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

This is what you get with the RTE app on any Android TV device. I have the exact same issue with a Shield. Rte don't look like they're capable of making a working app, it's been this way for ages but in fairness the adverts play perfectly when it works

You can clear data in the rte app in settings to get it working again but you'll have to do this nearly every time. Myself, I've given up on it as it's crashed half way through shows and I've had to start again and ensure all the ads again with no fast forward!

It's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Anyone get the new google tv device and have trouble using a dns on it? I use smartdnsproxy and the google tv constantly looses wifi connection but once i revert to the default google dns eveything is ok. Strangely when i changed to the smartdnsproxy dns on the router directly and left default google dns on the google tv it was also ok. Never had this issue with android tv devices before.

Google stuff never likes to have it's DNS changed, if you need to have it changed change it on a router level rather than a device level, the amount of times it'll reset itself just isn't worth the hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Hello, I am not able to play RTE 2FM or RTE RnaG on my Google Home device. Does anyone else have this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Raoul

Has anyone got the TG4 player working on Google TV or Android TV? Just sticks at the loading screen for me.

Raoul wrote: »
    Has anyone got the TG4 player working on Google TV or Android TV? Just sticks at the loading screen for me.

Same for me on a Shield

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fishy1

saneman wrote: »
    I've had the same issue for some time myself, very frustrating. It worked once for me so I'd try it every now and again - I'm a glutton for frustration it seems.

So tonight, after another failed attempt, I asked "Is 2fm on Tunein?". The answer was "...RTE 2fm/90.7fm Dublin, Ireland, free internet radio, TuneIn".

Then I asked "Stream 90.7fm Dublin"... the response "Okay, here's RTE 2fm from Tunein". \o/

Granted I then heard what passes for rap/R&B these days and promptly turned it off, but hey, it worked.
    Glenman wrote: »
    Hello, I am not able to play RTE 2FM or RTE RnaG on my Google Home device. Does anyone else have this problem?

Saneman posted this a few weeks ago & it seems to still be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Can we rename this the rte isn't working thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Can we rename this the rte isn't working thread?

It's basically a feature at this point!

does anyone know can you 'hack' the home to play a given URL, which i think would cut alot of the issues out as the RTE radio URLS usually work fine

• Registered Users Posts: 39 evster

Saying "Hey Google play 90.7 FM" works fine for me at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Anyone elses Google homes acting a bit weird yesterday evening?

Asking it to play specific music resulted in getting weird replies such as "cannot be played on this device" or "Sorry that song isn't available on YouTube" (not YouTube music, YouTube)

Didn't try it this morning tbf, but seemed to have issues playing music I've played countless times in the past, and not with just one device, several throughout the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 pinking

McMurphy wrote: »
    Anyone elses Google homes acting a bit weird yesterday evening?

Asking it to play specific music resulted in getting weird replies such as "cannot be played on this device" or "Sorry that song isn't available on YouTube" (not YouTube music, YouTube)

Didn't try it this morning tbf, but seemed to have issues playing music I've played countless times in the past, and not with just one device, several throughout the house.

I sometimes get this happening to me, I have spotify premium and it will start either playing youtube music with adverts or a non-premium spotify account with adverts. I have to turn it off and on again to get it to pick up my spotify account, so weird

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Anyone any experience of using Nest cams or other Google Assisted enabled cams as baby monitors? If so, any reviews or recommendations?

I'm completely signed up to Google taking over my home but not sure if a solution requiring a smartphone app is what I'm looking for here when battery optimisation on the phone/tablet etc is brought into the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Anyone any experience of using Nest cams or other Google Assisted enabled cams as baby monitors? If so, any reviews or recommendations?

I'm completely signed up to Google taking over my home but not sure if a solution requiring a smartphone app is what I'm looking for here when battery optimisation on the phone/tablet etc is brought into the equation.

I have no idea on the google integration.
    I will say though there is a lot to be said for getting a baby camera with its own screen.
    My fear with a baby camera being linked to any app and wifi is around times to get the device opened and connected to app when you are concerned about the baby.

At least with a dedicated device its usually a button press and always on sound is standard feature on the baby monitors.

I say this as someone who also quite likes google products but not sure i would want the faffing around with the inevitable google product issues and a baby monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

To be honest, I'm not even sure I want a camera. Baby monitors for decades have been audio only end everybody was fine. We're not anxious parents and I'd worry that having a camera would drive us to be checking it constantly.

However I love smart, integrated technology...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Play RTE radio 1 - uhmmmm something when wrong try again a few seconds
    reboot
    reboot
    repeat

How is it so utterly useless as a reliable radio

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

We use a couple of nest cams now, but used proper monitors when they were smaller. Nest is fine for checking. No good for noise activation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

To be honest, I'm not even sure I want a camera. Baby monitors for decades have been audio only end everybody was fine. We're not anxious parents and I'd worry that having a camera would drive us to be checking it constantly.

I use a traditional audio baby monitor in conjunction with an indoor Nest cam and a Hub Max. Just relying on the audio from the camera isn't enough and it does require a standalone baby monitor but the two work very well together.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

I think you're right, we have a baby monitor with camera and just use it like a dumb audio monitor 99% of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

My Lenovo smart clock has started playing the Good Morning routine $random minutes after the alarm goes off. 26 minutes this morning...

Anyone else come across this?

Advertisement