Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

AngelaRI wrote: »
    Glad I'm not the only one with these issues! Definitely been ongoing for more than a few weeks and getting worse by the day. Misheard commands. Randomly dropping or replacing words in a command (I can see the command on my Hubs). Or just ignore - words appear, disappear without response after a few seconds.
    My most common usage nowadays "Hey Google, Feedback" - and they've gotten a LOT of feedback from me lately, some rather, er, frustrated...

I think I found the trick for the lights though: if my mini in my office won't respond to 'Hey Google, turn off the lights', it usually responds to 'Hey Google, turn off the f****g lights' :rolleyes:

Funny. That seems to be the way to get it to work in our house lately too.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭65535

US English works great for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

It's funny, my other half can be heard from another room going "HEYGOOGLEMUTERADIO", "HEYGOOGLEMUTETHERADIO", "HEY... GOOGLE... MUTE... THE... RADIO!" and it'll keep on playing, and I walk in and go "hey google, mute" and it gets it right straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

65535 wrote: »
    US English works great for me.

Reminder me how to change language please?

kenmc wrote: »
    Reminder me how to change language please?

On my phone - go into Google Home app
    Click on your icon up top right
    Go to 'Assistant Settings'
    Scroll down to Languages and decide there
    There is English (Ireland) but it is just the irritating (to me) South East England accent.

• Advertisement

Many other settings for sensitivity of voice, multiple voices etc. can be set but I guess it's set initially to a medium mode which seems to work fine for me.
    I did re-label the light to 'The Light' so when I say
    turn off the light or lower the light 50% it works ok

I picked the us english, and then asked the forecast. Apparently we're in the middle of a heatwave - a high of 37 tomorrow, and there was me hoping for snow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I picked the us english, and then asked the forecast. Apparently we're in the middle of a heatwave - a high of 37 tomorrow, and there was me hoping for snow :(

Is your home address set correctly? My language is set to US and my weather forecasts are fine and in Celsius.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

It's pretty simple to change the default to Celsius.

It's pretty simple to change the default to Celsius.

It is and always was set to Celsius for weather units. Only thing I changed was English UK to English usa

• Advertisement

It's all good now, back to winter, 3 degrees today and snow forecast tomorrow.

I made no changes since it announced the heatwave. Stupid thing.

How do you manage routines these days? I have some set but want to change them, but can't see how in the Home app anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭bambam26

How do you manage routines these days? I have some set but want to change them, but can't see how in the Home app anymore.

I had to ask google to Create routine it sent a link to my phone which took me to the settings in the home app,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭sioda

I have a pink routines icon at the top of my main Google home app page

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Tap your profile icon top right corner of the screen - Assistant settings - scroll down to shortcuts - scroll to end of page - tap on 'see all routines'. You can customise preset routines or create your own routines from there. Seems like a long way round to get there, can't understand why the routines icon has been removed from the main window in some versions of the app. Also routines don't seem to work for me anymore. Any ones I created were working fine up to about a month ago, now all routines have stopped working & I've tried editing them using suggested commands from within the app but no joy.

Tap your profile icon top right corner of the screen - Assistant settings - scroll down to shortcuts - scroll to end of page - tap on 'see all routines'. You can customise preset routines or create your own routines from there. Seems like a long way round to get there, can't understand why the routines icon has been removed from the main window in some versions of the app. Also routines don't seem to work for me anymore. Any ones I created were working fine up to about a month ago, now all routines have stopped working & I've tried editing them using suggested commands from within the app but no joy.

Same for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Raoul

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Same for me.

Yep. Gone to absolute sh1te.

Asking google to broadcast is very very hit or miss now.
    So much so, that you can assume the message arrived in another room.
    Used to be rock solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Used to be rock solid.
    This is the Google Home in a nutshell - features that are fawless then barely/don't work, updates that give and take and an app that (perhaps this is just me ) is impossible to navigate for all but the very very basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Used to be rock solid.

Google home - rock solid
    Nest mini - works sometimes, no longer broadcasts. I'd be annoyed if I didn't get it for free for having a Google play music free trial active during some offer they had a while back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I have Google Mini x 1, Nest Mini x 1, Hub x 1, Nest WiFi point x 1 (as part of mesh)... All get things wrong on an equal basis...

I've given away a couple of Google Mini's as I have reached saturation point. If I ever get any more, they'll be aimed more towards audio quality and will replace some of the LG speakers that I have... they are Google Audio speakers and work direcly with the rest of the Google Speakers and I have the sound bar and woofer that is also part of the system.

If they would get the commands to work, it'd be an impressive ecosystem.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

What language have you Google Home set to??? I've mine set to English (Ireland) and I'm not having any of these problems that I'm reading about here.

Clareman wrote: »
    What language have you Google Home set to??? I've mine set to English (Ireland) and I'm not having any of these problems that I'm reading about here.

I have English Ireland too.

Raoul wrote: »
    I have English Ireland too.

Ive tried different language settings and all have problems.
    The biggest issue is things work perfectly for months and then one day they just dont work anymore.
    Too much of Google fcuking around and using customers as testers is my guess.

Open a support ticket with them if you really want to see a sh!tshow.

They'll walk you through the issue for about 10/15 minutes before suddenly realising that they're in the US so their European colleagues should be dealing with you. They'll "escalate" your issue to their European colleagues and you'll get an email telling you that you're a priority but they can't do anything for you right now due to Covid. Then you'll get a number of emails 3-4 months later asking if they've resolved your problem!

Open a support ticket with them if you really want to see a sh!tshow.

They'll walk you through the issue for about 10/15 minutes before suddenly realising that they're in the US so their European colleagues should be dealing with you. They'll "escalate" your issue to their European colleagues and you'll get an email telling you that you're a priority but they can't do anything for you right now due to Covid. Then you'll get a number of emails 3-4 months later asking if they've resolved your problem!

You found out how to open a ticket with Google?! Woah, I'm impressed! (I'm actually looking forward to having to subscribe to Google One sometime in the summer so I get elevated "support".)

Ive tried different language settings and all have problems.
    The biggest issue is things work perfectly for months and then one day they just dont work anymore.
    Too much of Google fcuking around and using customers as testers is my guess.

This is Google all over.

Get told about a new Google app. Try it out. Like it. It gets updates. It works even better. More of my friends use it. Slowly notice no new updates for a good while. There's a cancellation announcement. Rinse and repeat.

Routines used to work fine for me. Then they changed it so I could only activate one by speaking - which kinda defeats the purpose of a quiet "bedtime" routine, when other people might be asleep. Then they hid the feature for a bit and it's only now - slowly - getting a re-work.

I'd bet money there have been some personnel shuffles in the big G, and this is the fallout.

I had a routine to turn on my heating. "Hey Google, I'm cold" to turn it on. "Hey Google, I'm too warm" to turn it off. Worked fine up to a month ago. I found out it had stopped working after this exchange:
    "Hey Google, I'm too warm"
    "Maybe you should go for a swim".

I don't have "shortcuts" in Assistant Settings, so I get lost there.

If i ask one of the devices to create a routine as mentioned here too, it sends a link to the assistant app on my phone. Clicking it googles for creating a routine :confused:

• Advertisement

I have one saying "Hey google, it's Raoul's bedtime routine", it just searches that on google. Even when I add the routine shortcut to my homescreen and then click on it, it just searches that online. Absolutely ridiculous.

Advertisement