Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Is there any ethernet adapter for the new chromecast?

It has USB 3.0 so it'll work with any generic one or USB 3.0 hub with Ethernet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Supercell wrote: »
    You must have been quick off the mark ordering all I got was a button to be added to a waitlist, oh well it will be available eventually to all.

I must have been lucky. Had ordered 10 minutes after I got the announcement email.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

UK store has a couple of bundle offers that you can't get for IE or any other European location from eBay I can see (I'm in Spain.)

There's a good saving on a deal with two Audios, new Chromecast and a Nest Hub Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I must have been lucky. Had ordered 10 minutes after I got the announcement email.

Some waitlist that was, didn't get any notification but now i can order, eta 16th -20th October.
    Would love to sideload Jellyfin on to it and map the Netflix button to that :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Supercell wrote: »
    Some waitlist that was, didn't get any notification but now i can order, eta 16th -20th October.
    Would love to sideload Jellyfin on to it and map the Netflix button to that :D

I've never heard of Jellyfin.....

That's my weekend sorted anyway

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    I've never heard of Jellyfin.....

Jellyfin is a fork of Emby, not as polished

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've been a fan of Plex for a very long time, it'd take a lot for me to change from it

I've been a fan of Plex for a very long time, it'd take a lot for me to change from it

Used Plex for years but moved to Emby when Plex started trying to monetise and add features nobody wants. No way I'd go back, at this stage Emby is better, supports more formats so less transcoding, better subs handling

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Jellyfin is a fork of Emby, not as polished

I've used both, much prefer Jellyfin as its free and opensource, I don't find it any "less" to be honest as I have no need to stream outside my local network. It streams from my raspberry pi download box (sonarr, radarr, jackett on dietpi) to various devices around the house without breaking a sweat. It can utilize the onboard chipset on the pi to do hardware transcoding and is rate adaptive to the client so pretty much works on anything. Also it will even cast to a Chromecast :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I've a lifetime Plex Pass and will be staying with it a while I think especially as it's supported automatically by so many platforms, if I could get it on the hub it'd be a great bonus

• Advertisement

I've a lifetime Plex Pass and will be staying with it a while I think especially as it's supported automatically by so many platforms, if I could get it on the hub it'd be a great bonus

Fwiw I had a lifetime Plex pass and just dropped it. Emby is on just as many platforms now, Samsung, LG, Roku. I run a private Emby (15 users) on a hetzner dedi server with 150TB of media mounted from G suite.

Doubt we'll ever see Plex, Emby or jellyfin on a Google hub as there's no vested interest like Disney+

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

New Chromecast arrived today. Very tidy interface, remote is very good. Big fan of it so far.

Channel 4 really need to get the finger out and get a version of All 4 for Android TV sorted. The Fire OS app is great, surely porting it to a different version of Android wouldn't be that much effort for them.

I use the Nvidia Shield for all my entertainment needs, great job but I just noticed that the Chromcast TV can show the Nest feed, now that could be very handy for the doorbell

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

As your Google to read a Halloween sorry lol....

Must do that with the kids actually, was great fun last year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Must do that with the kids actually, was great fun last year.

Not sure how our children found out about it...

Whatever about the children, why did I just order 2 of the Google TVs, I don't need them, my phone is beside me on the couch nearly all the time, I have a spare chromecast anyway.

I think I've a problem..............

Whatever about the children, why did I just order 2 of the Google TVs, I don't need them, my phone is beside me on the couch nearly all the time, I have a spare chromecast anyway.

I think I've a problem..............

I'm waiting for a sale to buy two Nest Audios if it makes you feel any better?

I don't need one, never mind two but I like the idea of the stereo pair.

Doesn't even have to be a big sale. Buy two and save 10e or something. Anything to enable me to justify it to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

I've been finding lately that when I ask google to turn on the lights in the sitting room, it will turn on all devices, even those that aren't lights (Xbox & a smart plug). Anyone know why this would be happening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

plays RTE radio 1, after 5 min cuts, back again and repeat ...happens on Newstalk, makes it impossible to listen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

No biggie, but in the last few days when i stream RTE RADIO 1 or Newstalk, I hear an advert for the Nevada Census first????? :pac:

No biggie, but in the last few days when i stream RTE RADIO 1 or Newstalk, I hear an advert for the Nevada Census first????? :pac:

Do you have any VPN or DNS on your router?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

namloc1980 wrote: »

I have just ordered one from the US through Addresspal! Very annoying, usual Google abandoning products.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Alkers wrote: »
    I've been finding lately that when I ask google to turn on the lights in the sitting room, it will turn on all devices, even those that aren't lights (Xbox & a smart plug). Anyone know why this would be happening?

I get that sometimes when I ask to turn off the lights, then suddenly I get 'okay, turning off 36 devices' instead of '16 lights'... It's intermittent, unpredictable.
    More often I'll get 2 or 3 consecutive 'I'm sorry but power options aren't available yet for this device' when asking to turn off the lights, then say the exact same words again and 'ok, turning off 2 lights', still trying to pin down any sort of pattern to this, but so far it appears totally random

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

AngelaRI wrote: »
    I get that sometimes when I ask to turn off the lights, then suddenly I get 'okay, turning off 36 devices' instead of '16 lights'... It's intermittent, unpredictable.
    More often I'll get 2 or 3 consecutive 'I'm sorry but power options aren't available yet for this device' when asking to turn off the lights, then say the exact same words again and 'ok, turning off 2 lights', still trying to pin down any sort of pattern to this, but so far it appears totally random
    Interesting, we moved from Alexa recently, where you could look back at the commands it had heard, is this functionality on home anywhere?

Alkers wrote: »
    Interesting, we moved from Alexa recently, where you could look back at the commands it had heard, is this functionality on home anywhere?

Yes, go to myactivity.google.com and filter by Assistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Is anyone else experiencing "clipping" when streaming from TuneIn?

I have multiple devices and it's happening on them all where it's like an intermittent connection, drops for a millisecond and back again.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Is anyone else experiencing "clipping" when streaming from TuneIn?

I have multiple devices and it's happening on them all where it's like an intermittent connection, drops for a millisecond and back again.

Thanks!

Have had this on both Google devices and Amazon Echo.

Advertisement