Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you like your steak?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

murpho999 wrote: »
    No,no no. It's not steak snobbery.

A well done steak is just a steak that has been destroyed by having the flavour cooked out of it. It is overcooked.

There is loads of flavour and texture in a rare to medium steak. The 'blood' you see dripping is just actually water.

I realise that this is difficult for people who prefer meat and two veg and well done steaks. but try getting a steak a little less cooked the next time, that there remains a hint of colour in it and see how that goes.

That certainly sounds like textbook snobbery...

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

On the 14th of March. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Don't like Steak personally, so once it's on someone else plate I'm happy

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I'll have everything rare apart from Ribeye which I like medium. _Jamie_ speaks the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Buy cheaper cuts if you're going to deliberately overcook it.

Waste of money otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Well cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Medium to rare for me. With loads of horseradish sauce.

Well done is like chewing on the sole of a boot. I was reared with all meat and veg being over cooked. Even now when I cook for my mother I have to overcook her food otherwise "it's not cooked properly"

Medium to rare for me. With loads of horseradish sauce.

Well done is like chewing on the sole of a boot. I was reared with all meat and veg being over cooked. Even now when I cook for my mother I have to overcook her food otherwise "it's not cooked properly"

Are you aware that most steak purists would also regard putting horseradish on one as destroying the flavour of it?

Presumably though, you just like it that way, and would find anyone giving you grief over your preference to be an annoying prat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Even now when I cook for my mother I have to overcook her food otherwise "it's not cooked properly"

I once suggested to my Mum that a roast chicken might be improved upon with the addition of garlic & herbs. Think she suspected I was gay.

Also, don't get me started on fcuking Bisto!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

Rare to medium rare.

Anything else is basically wasting a good cut of meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    Rare to medium rare.

Anything else is basically wasting a good cut of meat.

'Cept for rib eye which is better more done!

Who the hell ever buys fillet anyway? Such an overpriced, overrated cut of meat. Give me something with some fat in it. Cooked to medium rare or medium with oil and butter, pepper and salt. Garlic if you're an aristocrat. OR a T-bone over a grill, American style. They tend to go more medium and I don't think the quality suffers one bit for it just because they aren't obeying the diktats of some poncey French chef.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

rib-eye is my favourite - I cook it medium at home but sometimes a little more depending on the piece

otherwise generally I'd be going medium rare for other types of steak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Most restaurants will give ye a worse cut of meat if you order it well done anyway so at least someone is benefiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I'm a vegetarian now but when I ate steak I used to prefer it rare to medium rare but then I switched to medium to well. It wasn't because of the blood or anything it's just that I liked the flavour. I found that when ordering a rare steak in many restaurants that I'd get served something that was a bit bland and boring and often cold. Try sending back a steak that you ordered rare because it was undercooked and see how the chef reacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Usually straight medium.

I like all types, but ribeye is my current fave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

Medium rare - like most Irish I was used to very 'well-done' meat growing up as my mammy overcooked meat to protect us from food poisoning.

Soft, juicy medium-rare is so much better. Delectable. Of course the missus still insists on well-done because she's stubborn and that's the way her mammy does it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

If I'm having a strip loins or fillet.. .medium rare ...if I'm having a tbone...medium.

Advertisement