Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you like your steak?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Allinall

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why not? Do people think by eating well done that they are not eating a dead animal anymore?

If people ate these things whilst blindfolded they would definitely prefer the less cooked steak.

Why would anyone eat blindfolded?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Allinall wrote: »

:pac:;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I think it's just the texture, more than the appearance, for me at least anyway. I don't enjoy the feel of a less than medium, and whilst I eat a well done if given to me, I feel like I am simply chewing to much to get through it.

Medium goes down nice and easy for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Toots wrote: »
    Blue - although it's hard to get one cooked blue properly.

Yep me too. They need the right kit, right steak and someone who knows what they're doing.
    I like steak medium to well done, and I just love when some annoying kunt at the table tells me I can't/shouldn't eat it that way.

Exactly :)

One of my all time favs is steak tartare. Haven't come across it since moving back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Alun wrote: »
    People like what they're used to.

People will like what I tell them to like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Allinall wrote: »

It actually happens a lot.

Here is one example

Being blindfolded would completely change the experience as you actually eat with your eyes first and that can change the whole perception of food.

Sort of like how many people are put off by the look of oysters and then refuse to try it.

Also read that people blindfolded even found it hard to differentiate between red and white wine which is hard to imagine.

A person who then ate a medium or rare steak without knowing would most likely find it tastier and nicer texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭The Draugan

Rare , like properly french rare, kinda cool in the middle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

This arms race of steak snobbery is currently at level 5 CAOEOI (Constant Anecdotes Of Eating Outside Ireland).

Somebody will surely now break out and claim that they just have a group of friends around and they chase and eat it alive, Serengeti-style.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

53.7 deg Celcius in the sous vide, finished on a smoking hot cast iron pan with the aid of a blow torch. Whiskey and peppercorn sauce.

When the weather is better I use the afterburner method. Take out of the fridge 2 hours before coooking. Salt liberally. Pour charcoal into Weber chimney starter. When the coals are up to temperature you can't see any black on them. At this point the top of the chimney is over 500 deg C. Put a grill over the top and put the steak on the grill. 1 minute each side followed by 30 sec each side. Rest for 10 minutes.

The high temp ensures it chars properly and the maillard reaction does it's thing turning a simple cut of meat into a thing of beauty. The short cooking time ensures that it's pink and juicy inside.

Oh and most importantly - Striploin or Rib Eye. You need a bit of fat on there for flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Ordering a well done steak is the same as ordering burnt toast.

ive never once had a steak that was burnt - thats an other generalisation from the steak snobs...

what i will say is that ive had many steaks that looked under cooked, especially in foreign countries where our medium-well is equivalent to their medium and they tasted s*it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Medium if I've been to that restaurant a few times and I'm familiar with their definition of "medium", otherwise it's medium well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

I like it rare to well done , I like steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

rob316 wrote: »
    Isn't steak just great, no food makes me happier eating it.

How do you like your steak cooked?

Medium rare myself, although I would eat it rarer than that, I just can't stand for well done steak though, seems utterly pointless and tasteless.

medium rare to medium

I've had near blue steak in Germany and it was delish - literally melted in the mouth. But it's not something I'd go for on a regular basis.

Well done renders the meat tasteless in my opinion.

ive never once had a steak that was burnt - thats an other generalisation from the steak snobs...

what i will say is that ive had many steaks that looked under cooked, especially in foreign countries where our medium-well is equivalent to their medium and they tasted s*it.

Where does this stupid term 'steak snob' come from.

If you find a medium steak tastes bad how could it possibly get any better by continuing on and making it well done? Makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Medium rare, except for ribeye which is best cooked medium. (Rare is not the recommended optimum way for every cut)

Don't like rare steak, too tepid for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

This arms race of steak snobbery is currently at level 5 CAOEOI (Constant Anecdotes Of Eating Outside Ireland).
    Level 6 is 'The only reason you don't like it is because you just haven't eaten the right one yet.'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Why not? Do people think by eating well done that they are not eating a dead animal anymore?

If people ate these things whilst blindfolded they would definitely prefer the less cooked steak.

I'm not sure what you're getting at, but I just prefer my meat well done. I've eaten medium rare steak as well, fyi. It's a matter of how I like my steak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

People like what they like, no big deal.

This is true, though I wonder if people who eat well done steaks also insist on putting a chicken breast in the over for 90 minutes, just to be safe and get rid of all of those juices. :p

I mean to each their own and all, I just don't get it. It's rare (ba-dum!) that I hear someone who only likes well done steaks comment on taste either, it's almost always on how it looks, re. bloody etc (and despite the fact it's not blood, if you leave it to rest for a few mins as recommended that issue is soles).

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you're getting at, but I just prefer my meat well done. I've eaten medium rare steak as well, fyi. It's a matter of how I like my steak.

What I am getting at is that people who prefer a well done over cooked steak are generally the type who are cautious with foods and picky.
    They would then be uncomfortable with meat having any other colour than brown as it reminds them too much of blood.

If you have eaten medium rare, then I don't see how you can say that well done is tastier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Allinall

There's a burger snobbery thread around here somewhere and they're coming out with more of the same pretentious waffle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

What I am getting at is that people who prefer a well done over cooked steak are generally the type who are cautious with foods and picky.
    They would then be uncomfortable with meat having any other colour than brown as it reminds them too much of blood.

If you have eaten medium rare, then I don't see how you can say that well done is tastier.

Well i'm not uncomfortable about having meat that reminds me of blood. I'm not really bothered about that type of thing. I'm just more used to eating well done meat. It's just my preference for how I like my meat served to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭musicfan1ie

Will happily eat steak from rare to well done. My mum used to incinerate steaks when I grew up.

I prefer rare or medium rare, but now hugely dependent on where I eat it. I've had some bad cuts lately and it's not nice Slicing through a rare steak like that. So now it's medium in a normal restaurant and rare when I trust the restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Ordering a well done steak is the same as ordering burnt toast.
    I used to love eating burnt toast, on purpose. It has a nice 'tang' if done right. I don't really eat toast anymore but I must give it a go again.

I've never eaten a steak, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Billy86 wrote: »
    I mean to each their own and all
    I've never eaten a steak, though.
    Get the f*** out! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Don't like steak at all. But that's moot.

If I happen to be served it at a dinner party or whatever and there is a hint of pink, I'm in the sink not being well. Sorry bout that.

Each to their own.

Strikes me that many people feel they HAVE to say, bleu, medium, rare, whatever, anything but bien cuit, to keep up appearances. Not all now, just many!

It is a personal thing, and it's very hard to convince anyone that doesn't like any pink or blood to change. Just that. They won't notice the difference in taste, just the look of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

_Jamie_ wrote: »
    Medium rare, except for ribeye which is best cooked medium. (Rare is not the recommended optimum way for every cut)

I'm glad someone pointed this out. It's interesting that in a thread full of such knowledgeable steak eaters that only few specified what type of steak they are referring to, yet so many must have it rare.

Ribeye is by far my favourite steak and I find it needs to be close to medium to ensure the fat has rendered. Done right it is far superior to a fillet steak in terms of flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

If its a fillet steak, then medium rare. I'm pregnant now though, so unfortunately can't have my steak like that for a while :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Rare. Cooking it ruins it. Just caramelize it a touch and Nyom

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Sugar Free wrote: »
    I'm glad someone pointed this out. It's interesting that in a thread full of such knowledgeable steak eaters that only few specified what type of steak they are referring to, yet so many must have it rare.

Ribeye is by far my favourite steak and I find it needs to be close to medium to ensure the fat has rendered. Done right it is far superior to a fillet steak in terms of flavour.

Yes, less than medium and you have gristly, undercooked fat. Yuck. And the high fat content means it can take a longer cooking time without drying out or toughening.

Advertisement