Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you like your steak?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ice.cube

While I eat meat I don't like to be reminded that was once an animal so any sight of blood turns me right off eating it. So it well done for me.

Ahh shure it comes from a packet not an animal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I like mine rare with a side of smug condescension.

Seriously what is with the snobbery around steaks? Often from people who couldn't cook a ****ing pot noodle themselves and who would normally find food snobbery utterly pretentious.

Personally I like a medium to medium rare steak depending on the cut, anything rarer has a disgusting slippery rubbery texture. I insisted on rare for a while because that's what various snobs had told I should like, until eventually I started wondering who I was trying to impress. Also not sure why anyone cares what someone else is doing with their food

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Rare, or preferably venison or tuna, both of which are miles better than beef.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Ostrich steak! Kangaroo steak is pretty tasty as well but as with many game meats don't overcook (so medium max) or else you'll be chewing for a week!

I was in a bar in Dundee two days ago that does alligator. It was lunchtime though so I didn't risk it and had kangaroo instead. Going back some evening soon for the reptile. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Gleefulprinter

Raw and bloody. I like to feel like Hannibal Lecter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Depends on my mood but either rare or medium rare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Not he correct question to ask......
    It depends on the cut.
    I have cooked many thousands of steaks, structurally the correct way to cook is...
    Fillet ; seared (blue or rare)
    Strip loin ; rare-med
    Rib eye ; med-rare
    All tougher cuts for example a steak from flank or silverside ; slow cook med-well
    Although just eat what you like but if you prefer well done tastier and more cost effective to stick to the cheaper cuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Stoogie

I like my steak rare to blue but I always say as the chief would take it, which gets me a rare to medium on most occasions. I've ordered blue and got well done and been served a medium while my partner is having her after dinner mints because I sent it back so these days I have the duck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

When I'm depressed I'll have it blue
    On the rare occasion I'll have it rare
    If I'm dining with my clairvoyant mum I'll take it medium
    When no option is given I'll just take it...well, done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Rare to medium rare depending on where I am. Some places really overcook them.

Everywhere overcooks them. You have to ask for it rare to get it medium rare...philistines!

• Advertisement

I like mine rare with a side of smug condescension.

Seriously what is with the snobbery around steaks? Often from people who couldn't cook a ****ing pot noodle themselves and who would normally find food snobbery utterly pretentious.

Personally I like a medium to medium rare steak depending on the cut, anything rarer has a disgusting slippery rubbery texture. I insisted on rare for a while because that's what various snobs had told I should like, until eventually I started wondering who I was trying to impress. Also not sure why anyone cares what someone else is doing with their food

Best post in thread. Similar to you, I had been eating steak medium-rare for a while because consensus was that it was the best way to eat it but I've since realised I prefer it medium at rarest; I don't like that rubbery texture, it feels like I'm forcing myself to think it tastes nice. I do prefer medium over well-done though but even well-done tastes nicer for me than I know rare would.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 london bus 200

ONE OF THE HUMAN RIGHTS, BUT THEY WOULD ALSO ARGUE THAT ITS THEY RESPONSIBILITY, WHILE BREXIT WAS KEEPI THE PEOPLE BUSY, AND THEN NOW TTHATS ARE A POSSIBILITY WHERE IN CONVENIEN T TIMES THE GOVERNMENT I THINK APART FROM THEY PROFILING ALL OUR BEHAVIOUS ANF ACTIVITIES AND ONE DSY THERES ALL ODF TAHT IS WELL IN EN OR FIFY YERS

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

ONE OF THE HUMAN RIGHTS, BUT THEY WOULD ALSO ARGUE THAT ITS THEY RESPONSIBILITY, WHILE BREXIT WAS KEEPI THE PEOPLE BUSY, AND THEN NOW TTHATS ARE A POSSIBILITY WHERE IN CONVENIEN T TIMES THE GOVERNMENT I THINK APART FROM THEY PROFILING ALL OUR BEHAVIOUS ANF ACTIVITIES AND ONE DSY THERES ALL ODF TAHT IS WELL IN EN OR FIFY YERS

That's great, but how do you like your steak ? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

When did boards merge with Reddit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Medium for me.

That said, I don't lie awake at night worrying about how much people incinerate theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

davo2001 wrote: »
    It annoys me when I hear a person ordering a well done steak, especially a good cut like fillet.

Just order a burger you philistine!

why, its the same piece of meat and shouldnt bother you how its cooked? a well done steak is a properly cooked one, there is no flavour involved when theres blood dripping from it.

it does appear that steak snobbery seems to apply only to those who like it barely cooked and they look down on those who like it medium well, to well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    I grew up in family of extremely well done (burnt) steak eaters.
    I didn't know any different until I learned that wasn't really the way it was supposed to be.
    I'm slowly training myself to eat it less cooked and am happily eating
    medium-well at the moment. Small steps :D

I was the same. Although have reached my minimum at medium. Have attempted less, but unfortunately could not enjoy it my self.

Order medium in France (knowing no different) the same as I do here, and it was still nearly still mooing, the next night ordered well, and as said here earlier, a good vet could have still bought it around, so I stuck to the chicken and fish after that. But at least I can say I tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭Alun

RobertKK wrote: »
    I don't like meat with blood still visible, it is how wild animals eat meat...
    FFS people, it's NOT blood, it's myoglobin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

why, its the same piece of meat and shouldnt bother you how its cooked? a well done steak is a properly cooked one, there is no flavour involved when theres blood dripping from it.

it does appear that steak snobbery seems to apply only to those who like it barely cooked and they look down on those who like it medium well, to well done.

No,no no. It's not steak snobbery.

A well done steak is just a steak that has been destroyed by having the flavour cooked out of it. It is overcooked.

There is loads of flavour and texture in a rare to medium steak. The 'blood' you see dripping is just actually water.

I realise that this is difficult for people who prefer meat and two veg and well done steaks. but try getting a steak a little less cooked the next time, that there remains a hint of colour in it and see how that goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

a well done steak is a properly cooked .

:eek::eek: Nope, it's a well done steak and nothing more. Properly is still pink in the middle. Well done, black with the sides curled up is ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Depends on my mood. Normally medium rare but if I'm out with a group and others order steak I'll order it rare as it's normally overcooked whenever they're doing more than 2 at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭osullic

Rare or medium rare for me depending on the cut. The OH always orders steak well done though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I do love steak but I'm currently into braising tougher cuts like chuck and shin for several hours with veg, wine and stock. Beautiful melty beef with mash spuds on a cold winters night. Served with a nice chianti.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Well done. I prefer fillet steak, and I know you're supposed to eat it medium rare or something, but I don't like eating meat that's red and bloody.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Well done. I prefer fillet steak, and I know you're supposed to eat it medium rare or something, but I don't like eating meat that's red and bloody.

Why not? Do people think by eating well done that they are not eating a dead animal anymore?

If people ate these things whilst blindfolded they would definitely prefer the less cooked steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why not? Do people think by eating well done that they are not eating a dead animal anymore?

If people ate these things whilst blindfolded they would definitely prefer the less cooked steak.

People like what they like, no big deal.

My missus used to be one of those "I don't like my steaks dripping 'blood'" types until we went to a very expensive restaurant in Belgium once and she ordered a steak well done. Now it must be said it was a fairly odd place, run entirely by elderly women, and they point blank refused to do it! Now this was in the middle of nowhere and the only place for miles and we were starving, so I persuaded her to give it a try medium-rare which she reluctantly agreed to. From that point on she was converted, said it was the best steak she'd ever had. I'm sure if people just gave it a try and managed to get over the "blood" thing, starting with medium and working down, they'd be the same.

People like what they like, no big deal.
    People like what they're used to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Ordering a well done steak is the same as ordering burnt toast.

Advertisement