Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you like your steak?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Tuna.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Exeggcute wrote: »
    It's not blood.

What is it with overcooking everything in this country?

It's either boiled to **** or fried to ****.

It gets it colour from hemoglobin in the blood which is still visible.

I prefer meat cooked through, even if it is argued it is cooked when still bloody in the middle...

That said well cooked meat can change the chemical structure in the meat which is not the healthiest.

I prefer poultry meat...and veal in something like a Jager Schnitzel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Just medium

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Waved briefly in a warm room.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Black as a witches tit

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

Blue steak. The way it was meant to be eaten

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Brown on the outside & maybe fried a bit tight with a rub of raw garlic and ginger, and moist and red raw on the inside. Mmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Horse

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭rob316

md23040 wrote: »
    Heat a frying pan best on gas and leave on a high heat for at least 5 minutes without oil. Add steak which has good dousing of good oil applied and properly seasoned.

Immediately turn the steak after 20 seconds and cook for 2.5 minutes. Turn and cook for a further 2 minutes.

Rest the steak in tin foil sunny side (shiny side) out. After 5 minutes served with mashed Patato and onions - there's nothing better than a properly cooked steak just shy of medium.

Get the pan smoking and most importantly, it cant be stressed enough, make sure the steak is at room temperature. Leave it out for 30 min atleast (I like an hour) season with salt and pepper. The longer you leave it the better, as the meat warms the salt and pepper will start to "melt" into it.

When the steak is cooked, take a peeled clove of garlic and rub the clove on the steak. Its outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

2-3 minutes for a nice plump steak each side on the BBQ over a hot flame. You just can't beat a good steak, it practically melts on your tongue like butter.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

I like steak medium to well done, and I just love when some annoying kunt at the table tells me I can't/shouldn't eat it that way.

Yeah, this does my head in. I like my steak well done.

I've tried it rare, medium rare etc and I just don't like it.

If somebody orders a pink steak, I couldn't give a flying fook, just as long as mine is well done. Why people get so upset over others ordering a steak well done is very annoying. I don't care what you say, I still love the taste of it well done !!

I like steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Med rare.

To quote Anthony Bourdain,

"After cooking your steak let it rest.Do not cut it straight away.Give it a few mins.Leave it the fook alone."

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I don't get the "well done is a waste" thing. It's not for me, but if someone eats it and enjoys it, it's not a waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

I think this sums up my feelings regarding well done.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Medium well, and I don't give a f*ck what others think. A little pink in the middle and I'm a happy man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Blue steak. The way it was meant to be eaten

Certain cuts like rib eye are not meant to be eaten blue as you need to render some of the fat to give it flavour.

I cook on as hot a pan as possible. For a thick fillet I sear it on all six sides and then adjust cooking time depending on the thickness of the meat. Charring is critical for flavour.

I then cover it and rest in a warm oven (100 degrees) for ten minutes or so.

The resting makes a big difference to flavour, gives a more palatable internal temperature and prevents an unattractive leakage of blood across the plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭md23040

rob316 wrote: »
    Get the pan smoking and most importantly, it cant be stressed enough, make sure the steak is at room temperature. Leave it out for 30 min atleast (I like an hour) season with salt and pepper. The longer you leave it the better, as the meat warms the salt and pepper will start to "melt" into it.

When the steak is cooked, take a peeled clove of garlic and rub the clove on the steak. Its outstanding.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=q7Y8WP2GHIGCgAaA1KXIDg&q=himalayan+salt+block+cooking+steak&oq=himalayan+salt+cook+stwaks&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.1.0.0i22i30k1.9940.18736.0.21802.12.12.0.0.0.0.1640.7247.2-4j3j1j0j1j2j1.12.0....0...1c.1.64.mobile-gws-serp..2.8.4797...0j0i67k1j0i22i10i30k1.m7ZxNk8Mtg0

Was in the butchers this morning buying mince and he ages his steaks for 28 days at 2.3c on hooks above Himalayan salt blocks, and says they are amazing cooked on top of a Himalayan salt block too. Never heard it done before and wonder has anyone tried this out.

BTW Aldi steaks IMO are really good quality and execeptional value.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Cooked in milk and garnished with raw jelly beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Not a big fan of steak.

There. I said it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

osarusan wrote: »
    Not a big fan of steak.

There. I said it.

That's fine. It's only if you overcook it that you face ostracism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Medium for me thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

osarusan wrote: »
    Not a big fan of steak.

There. I said it.

Yeah, it can be decent but its generally overrated and certainly overpriced. Fillet especially for the reputation it has, can be completely bland. Not usually a whole pile of alternatives though in conventional restaurants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

While I eat meat I don't like to be reminded that was once an animal so any sight of blood turns me right off eating it. So it well done for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Unfertilised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Medium-rare with a nice glass of red wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Well done, with charcoal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

md23040 wrote: »
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=q7Y8WP2GHIGCgAaA1KXIDg&q=himalayan+salt+block+cooking+steak&oq=himalayan+salt+cook+stwaks&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.1.0.0i22i30k1.9940.18736.0.21802.12.12.0.0.0.0.1640.7247.2-4j3j1j0j1j2j1.12.0....0...1c.1.64.mobile-gws-serp..2.8.4797...0j0i67k1j0i22i10i30k1.m7ZxNk8Mtg0

Was in the butchers this morning buying mince and he ages his steaks for 28 days at 2.3c on hooks above Himalayan salt blocks, and says they are amazing cooked on top of a Himalayan salt block too. Never heard it done before and wonder has anyone tried this out.

BTW Aldi steaks IMO are really good quality and execeptional value.

Totally agree on the aldi steaks! Medium to medium rare for me. I could face a rare steak but couldn't eat a well done one...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

FortySeven wrote: »
    That's fine. It's only if you overcook it that you face ostracism.
    Ostrich steak! Kangaroo steak is pretty tasty as well but as with many game meats don't overcook (so medium max) or else you'll be chewing for a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I'll have the milk steak, boiled over hard and a side of your finest jelly beans... Raw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Has to be rare but getting a proper rare steak is hard in Ireland.

Espeically in pubs (I know), rare=medium well.

Advertisement