Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for >15 year old cars

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Meab

Everything that changes your insurance premium is related to the risk of a claim.

Driving an old car means that you're more likely to want to put in a claim because the likelihood is that you need the money more that a person who drives a new car.

If your car breaks down, it doesn't effect your insurance anyway so its not actually related to the quality of your car so NCT doesn't make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Meab wrote: »

Driving an old car means that you're more likely to want to put in a claim because the likelihood is that you need the money more that a person who drives a new car.

That's not correct. The older the car, the less likely you are to claim for your loss, given the potential impact on your premium. The more valuable the car makes it a necessity to proceed. The risk with older cars is the disproportionate number of expensive 3rd party claims. There are many reasons for this, all of which have been thrashed to death here

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

That's not correct. The older the car, the less likely you are to claim for your loss, given the potential impact on your premium. The more valuable the car makes it a necessity to proceed. The risk with older cars is the disproportionate number of expensive 3rd party claims. There are many reasons for this, all of which have been thrashed to death here

What view is likely to be taken of an eccentric old giffer like my 18-year-old 3-litre Jaguar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Everything that changes your insurance premium is related to the risk of a claim.

If your car breaks down, it doesn't effect your insurance anyway so its not actually related to the quality of your car so NCT doesn't make a difference.

Nope the opposite.

Why would you make an insurance claim, on an old car. Your insurance will go up more than the car is worth. Nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

jimgoose wrote: »
    What view is likely to be taken of an eccentric old giffer like my 18-year-old 3-litre Jaguar?

usually....Its requires a legendary mustache....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Surely if I had a tip in my €2,500 05 car it would cost a lot less in claims than a tip in a 151 car so therefore less 'risky' ?

Surely if I had a tip in my €2,500 05 car it would cost a lot less in claims than a tip in a 151 car so therefore less 'risky' ?

The big costs in a 'tip' are what or who you crash in to, not the car you use to do it in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

The big costs in a 'tip' are what or who you crash in to, not the car you use to do it in

Okay, but how am I any more likely to tip another car if I'm driving an older car???

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭kuro2k

I have two 21 year old cars with Axa insurance

96 BMW cabrio, 610 EUR - renewed last month, 16% increase
    96 Toyota Hilux Surf, 520 EUR - due to be renewed in September

Looking at some of the quotes I feel very lucky. I've alway found Axa good, I've been with them for 12+ years

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Every second ad on the radio for the past 18 months is trying to get you to buy a new car.
    New car, new car, new car.
    and apparently new car sales is an indicator of how well the country is doing.
    Beats me!
    "Ooo, I have a job" or "Ooo I got a raise"
    So little sheep rushes out and buys a new car? wtf?
    Is that all you can think of doing with your new found sense of optimism and security? I don't understand this fixation with cars.
    I have a big shiny new car, therefore I am?
    Anyway, I got sidetracked. what I meant to say is that it seems like the the insurance companies and the car companies are in some sort of an alliance to price older perfectly safe cars off the road and force us to buy new cars.
    And other posters are right, this assault on older cars makes a mockery of the NCT, which gets more stringent every few years.
    It's all one big money making racket!! Nya-ha-ha-ha (hysterical laugh)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Candlewick

Excellent point.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Candlewick

kuro2k wrote: »

Looking at some of the quotes I feel very lucky. I've alway found Axa good, I've been with them for 12+ years
    If they're over 20, are they considered classic cars or is that 25?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Just on Axa, i have been talking to at least a dozen people lately where Axa quoted in some cases half of what other companies are doing

If they keep it up they will clean up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

What annoys me is the Government are not making proper moves against the industry, I'm not sure what powers they would have but they'll be then there scratching their heads in the next 2-3 years wondering why loads of people are signing into the dole again.

I know lots of people from all income ranges who head out to work in their 10 years and older cars. It's not like everyone driving these cars has a load of money in the bank but are just too mean to spend it, it's all they can afford.

The stupidity​ is mind boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

What annoys me is the Government are not making proper moves against the industry, I'm not sure what powers they would have but they'll be then there scratching their heads in the next 2-3 years wondering why loads of people are signing into the dole again.

I know lots of people from all income ranges who head out to work in their 10 years and older cars. It's not like everyone driving these cars has a load of money in the bank but are just too mean to spend it, it's all they can afford.

The stupidity​ is mind boggling.

I'd say the number of people driving uninsured is climbing all the time.

Some drivers will be unable to afford increasing premiums and unable to afford to upgrade their cars.

Just on Axa, i have been talking to at least a dozen people lately where Axa quoted in some cases half of what other companies are doing

If AXA, or any insurer, find themselves attracting a disproportionate number of risks in a particularly difficult sector, they will increase their rates in order to slow down the flow of new customers.

Insurers are always trying to balance their portfolio among the various risk profiles and being heavy in any one area is a very dodgy strategy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

With AXA since 2008, only once have i come close to leaving them, quoted by Allianz, when AXA ran to see was i taking up their offer i said no, told them why, in a split second they undercut to keep my business.

Got an online quote yesterday from them, 1200E was the price they gave, entered all the details exactly as they have them on file.

Rewnewal due in the door in the next 2 weeks so i'll be interested in seeing will it be more or less than that price.

Allianz & the AA are quoting me the same as i paid last year for all the bells and whistles, 700E.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Candlewick wrote: »
    If they're over 20, are they considered classic cars or is that 25?

Cars are considered classics at 25, but you cant get classic tax until 30 and classic insurance starts at 15.

Skatedude wrote: »
    Cars are considered classics at 25, but you cant get classic tax until 30 and classic insurance starts at 15.

I can get that for my 2001 Ford Puma? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

So much wrong in that post I don't know where to start....
    Older car drivers are less likely, not more, to claim as the value of a claim on an older car would be to ruin your NCB for a small amount. That would be financial suicide, which would become self-evident at renewal time. That and the fact theyd only give you peanuts for your old car anyway. .

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

KC161 wrote: »
    I can get that for my 2001 Ford Puma? :confused:

I doubt it. they seem to insist the cars cannot be jap or too "normal"
    mk1 golf, mabey, mk3 golf probably not.

Skatedude wrote: »
    I doubt it. they seem to insist the cars cannot be jap or too "normal"
    mk1 golf, mabey, mk3 golf probably not.

AXA said the car MUST BE 25 YEARS OLD

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭lol5605

Anyone got anything decent lately? I have a 1998 Civic, 2 years ago i paid 750, 900 last year and now its gone up to 1450. I have rang 15+ companies and only one would quote me and that was close to 2000.

KC161 wrote: »
    AXA said the car MUST BE 25 YEARS OLD

I have been with axa a number of times, and was with them last year with my 19 year old car, but they simply may not want to insure you. the cars they will cover also seems to change depending on who's applying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

lol5605 wrote: »
    I have rang 15+ companies and only one would quote me and that was close to 2000.

Insurance in this country is compulsory, you have to have it.

Tell them they have to quote you, they don't have a choice.

If they wont, demand a refusal letter, if you get 3 of these letters the Declined Cases Committee of Insurance Ireland can force one of the companies to insure you.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Silane

Turner wrote: »
    Insurance in this country is compulsory, you have to have it.

Tell them they have to quote you, they don't have a choice.

If they wont, demand a refusal letter, if you get 3 of these letters the Declined Cases Committee of Insurance Ireland can force one of the companies to insure you.

Yeah probably for 2K, a lot of hassle to end up right where he is right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

kuro2k wrote: »

Jesus - you have my dream garage right there!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 30 CosyChair

I Have a 95 bmw 5 series insured with fbd fully comp open driving no mileage limit for 250 eurro classic policy. they beat all the rest as they only let yodo 2 to 4k a year on there policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Need little bit of help.
    I have policy with Allianz unitl 19/ 07/2017.On friday I sold my car (2002 audi 1.6) and I bought Celica 2001.Im 31 with 5+++ NCB so I tought I just give them a call to change reg on the policy.
    When I called them I was told because Celica has more than 6 owners they cant change reg on my policy and wont insure me.Not year of the car or because it is Jap import,no.It has more than 6 owners!!!WTF??
    So atm car is sold new car bought and cant drive it.Im fecking pi**ed off and I dont know what to do.Im going to call them on monday and speak to manager down there but it doesnt look good.
    Does anyone have idea what to do( except why did u buy Celica)??

• Advertisement

Need little bit of help.
    I have policy with Allianz unitl 19/ 07/2017.On friday I sold my car (2002 audi 1.6) and I bought Celica 2001.Im 31 with 5+++ NCB so I tought I just give them a call to change reg on the policy.
    When I called them I was told because Celica has more than 6 owners they cant change reg on my policy and wont insure me.Not year of the car or because it is Jap import,no.It has more than 6 owners!!!WTF??
    So atm car is sold new car bought and cant drive it.Im fecking pi**ed off and I dont know what to do.Im going to call them on monday and speak to manager down there but it doesnt look good.
    Does anyone have idea what to do( except why did u buy Celica)??

I think Allianz are one of the companies with the 15 year rule.

My car has 7 owners, previous owner kept 'selling' the car due to not declaring it off the road for tax reasons.

Advertisement