Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for >15 year old cars

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Need little bit of help.
    I have policy with Allianz unitl 19/ 07/2017.On friday I sold my car (2002 audi 1.6) and I bought Celica 2001.Im 31 with 5+++ NCB so I tought I just give them a call to change reg on the policy.
    When I called them I was told because Celica has more than 6 owners they cant change reg on my policy and wont insure me.Not year of the car or because it is Jap import,no.It has more than 6 owners!!!WTF??
    So atm car is sold new car bought and cant drive it.Im fecking pi**ed off and I dont know what to do.Im going to call them on monday and speak to manager down there but it doesnt look good.
    Does anyone have idea what to do( except why did u buy Celica)??

If the car is road legal, your current insurers are obliged to put it on cover for you (minimum 3rd part cover). Persist & complain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

CosyChair wrote: »
    I Have a 95 bmw 5 series insured with fbd fully comp open driving no mileage limit for 250 eurro classic policy. they beat all the rest as they only let yodo 2 to 4k a year on there policy.

Do you have another car insured?

.... I was told because Celica has more than 6 owners they cant change reg on my policy and wont insure me....

I've never heard of that rule before. I'm completely baffled about that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

beauf wrote: »
    I've never heard of that rule before. I'm completely baffled about that one.

I was thinking to put mates name on it and drive under 3rd party extension( they have no problem with that one :eek::eek: ) and switch cover to my wifes car but my wifes car is already insured...Im stuck as f@ck

Is that not fronting, and I thought they do have a problem with it.

I think I would challenge the 6 driver rule and raise it with the ombudsman. Its probably just another means to stop old cars and scammers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

KC161 wrote:
    I think Allianz are one of the companies with the 15 year rule.

No. I drive a fifteen year old car and recently bought a new policy from Allianz without difficulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

chicorytip wrote: »
    No. I drive a fifteen year old car and recently bought a new policy from Allianz without difficulty.

Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Need little bit of help.
    I have policy with Allianz unitl 19/ 07/2017.On friday I sold my car (2002 audi 1.6) and I bought Celica 2001.Im 31 with 5+++ NCB so I tought I just give them a call to change reg on the policy.
    When I called them I was told because Celica has more than 6 owners they cant change reg on my policy and wont insure me.Not year of the car or because it is Jap import,no.It has more than 6 owners!!!WTF??
    So atm car is sold new car bought and cant drive it.Im fecking pi**ed off and I dont know what to do.Im going to call them on monday and speak to manager down there but it doesnt look good.
    Does anyone have idea what to do( except why did u buy Celica)??

If it's a jap import celica, then you will have trouble insuring, most companies no longer cover them for new business. As you are changing details of cover, they can refuse to cover if it doesn't meet their underwriting rules. (The 6 owners referecne, no idea where they are getting that from & should not be an issue)

Try autoline as they are currently the best for covering Celica's. (A lot of the Celica club members have used them for good quotes, they cover both north & south of Ireland - but do have some terms & conditions)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I'm looking at buying a Megane convertible. Its 2000 reg and I just want it for the summer. Who is covering cars this age?

Axa No
    Campion No
    Autoline Maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 64,901 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Autoline. Not cheap. Must have normal car.

First Ireland. Cheap. Don't need normal car insurance in your own name. But only for existing customers, not for new business. AIG (underwriter) says no.

Not sure how easy it will be to convince any of them that a Renault Megane is a classic car though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Try simply insure.ie. They were the only brokers that would come within miles of my 19 year old car and were cheaper, though still crazy expensive. Compared to my yoke a Megan should be far cheaper.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I'm looking at buying a Megane convertible. Its 2000 reg and I just want it for the summer. Who is covering cars this age?

Axa No
    Campion No
    Autoline Maybe
    ••••
    Do u plan to have 2 cars for 1 Policy?

How did u word quote with axa. ?
    Did u say u want temp cover for few weeks or did u say it's a car that is declared off the road during non-summer months ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've a 1999 SAAB LPT 2 litre

BOI that I currently use offered renewal for €850

First Ireland - €3459.57 third party only LOL
    First Ireland - €2008.40 comprehensive LOL

Simplyinsure - unable to quote, for some reason

Britton - €1067.66

Allianz - their webpage says ""Car cannot be more than 15 years old"

Liberty - €810 with added partner and TPFT (and 10% off for buying online)

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Check that fire or theft don't effect NCB and that step back NCB in-place

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

cplwhisper wrote: »
    ••••
    Do u plan to have 2 cars for 1 Policy?

How did u word quote with axa. ?
    Did u say u want temp cover for few weeks or did u say it's a car that is declared off the road during non-summer months ?

Ahhh never realised this subform existed.

Anyway, I want it covered for use as a second car. I have a main car, just want this for a bit of weekend use.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭celica1994

I have a policy with them for motor insurance, my car died, im looking at a 15 year old passat tomorrow, Does anyone know if Bank of ireland insure cars over 15 years, theyre unwritten by rsa insurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They wouldn't quote my wife on her 17 year old car, that was new business though.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They wouldn't quote my wife on her 17 year old car, that was new business though.

cheers for the reply, hopefully i might have luck cause i have a policy already!

just wondering, did you call them or just try the online quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Online.

• Advertisement

I am currently with BoI on a car older than 15 years.

Online.

yea nearly most of them now wont quote you online if the car is over 10 years, ya gotta call them

biko wrote: »
    I am currently with BoI on a car older than 15 years.

when did ya take out the policy, just curious?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

RSA refused me and I was already with them and had been with them for three years so was disappointed with them. Mine's a 1995 btw. I ended up with AXA eventually. Online won't work, it's going to take time to ring all of them up. Brokers seems to charge more but do give quotes alright.

RSA refused me and I was already with them and had been with them for three years so was disappointed with them. Mine's a 1995 btw. I ended up with AXA eventually. Online won't work, it's going to take time to ring all of them up. Brokers seems to charge more but do give quotes alright.

Im with boi already, im just hoping they insure this new car, its 02, where as my old car was 03

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

celica1994 wrote: »
    Im with boi already, im just hoping they insure this new car, its 02, where as my old car was 03

I'm guessing you should be ok then, as long as you know the usual, points, NCB, etc. 02 is not really that old compared to a 95 so good luck :)

I'm guessing you should be ok then, as long as you know the usual, points, NCB, etc. 02 is not really that old compared to a 95 so good luck :)

Cheers man! yea im hoping they dont make a giant fuss over it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

I had third party on my 16 year old focus through a last year with liberty of 700

Renewal was 2700

Used a broker and got 910 quote but didn't get around to taking it yet

However AXA have a deal in for new customers and last night got a quote of 633 comprehensive will be taking that once i get NCT in next day or so

I had third party on my 16 year old focus through a last year with liberty of 700

Renewal was 2700

Used a broker and got 910 quote but didn't get around to taking it yet

However AXA have a deal in for new customers and last night got a quote of 633 comprehensive will be taking that once i get NCT in next day or so

cool hopefully your qoute goes well :)

• Advertisement

celica1994 wrote: »
    when did ya take out the policy, just curious?
    Last year, May 2016

Advertisement