Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for >15 year old cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

cplwhisper wrote: »
    Insuring a 2nd car in your name for you only driver on both cars is possible
    BUT
    with additional drivers will be complicated as whom would be main driver of each car

If Puma is THunder model then best be sitting down

Which insurance companies is this possible with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Got my renewal quote today from 123.ie. €582 for a 00 Ford 1.7. Third party fire and theft.

In 2016 I paid €440
    In 2015 I paid €365

Jaysus. Although I was expecting worse. I can - at least - afford this. I reckon it will be in vain but will shop around tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Got my renewal and was pleasantly surprised. Driving a 99 2.0 Honda Accord, which even last year I had trouble getting a quote. Last years was 506 with 4 years no claims, this year 456 with my 5 years no claims. To be honest at that rate I'm not even going to bother ring around, or even ring them in case it is a mistake.
    That's with Bank of Ireland insurance, I know on their website they won't accept older cars but given my renewal I would say could be worth ringing for others with older cars. I am getting 100 ish off for being customer also.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Got my renewal quote today from 123.ie. €582 for a 00 Ford 1.7. Third party fire and theft.

In 2016 I paid €440
    In 2015 I paid €365

Jaysus. Although I was expecting worse. I can - at least - afford this. I reckon it will be in vain but will shop around tomorrow.

Try these guys
    http://bjp.ie/contact-us/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Bananaleaf wrote: »

In 2016 I paid €440
    In 2015 I paid €365

We got our renewal from 123.ie for our 01 1.6 Focus - €719
    That's up from less than €400 last year. No claims, no points etc etc.
    I tried putting my own car's ( 2007 Focus) details in on the 123.ie with hubby's age and driving profile and got a quote of €463

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭student7890

I tried a new quote with 123.ie for a 15 year old Ford Focus 1.4, TPFT

I'm over 50 with 9 years no claims, no penalty points, they would not insure me.

This was after 25+ bumped their renewal from €356 to €600

I headed off to Allianz (thanks guys) where a new quote is €476.

I'm going to drive a safe, roadworthy and tested car for another year.

Beam me up Scotty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

The Insurance Companies screwing us for having older cars on the roads makes a mockery of the NCT.What is the point of having this test if the Insurance Companies don't recognise it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

The Insurance Companies screwing us for having older cars on the roads makes a mockery of the NCT.What is the point of having this test if the Insurance Companies don't recognise it?

Taxi's aside they'll change the law and bring it down from 4 years to 1 years for a first NCT, same as the CVRT at that, ANNUALLY :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Car just turned 16 years old.

Last year 700 third party with liberty

Today renewal is 2679

Off the road for me I'd say

Tried chill brokers: no one else bar liberty would even quote

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Today renewal is 2679

Disgraceful treatment from insurance companies. Not a 15 year old car, but a friend of mine who has 5 year old VW Golf, no claims, 6/7 years driving, just turned 30, premium last year €800 this year €1300. We are being screwed.

• Advertisement

joeysoap wrote: »
    Disgraceful treatment from insurance companies. Not a 15 year old car, but a friend of mine who has 5 year old VW Golf, no claims, 6/7 years driving, just turned 30, premium last year €800 this year €1300. We are being screwed.

Ah here that's ****in nuts how can that be justified?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Seems its easier if you are renewing with the same company, but impossible is trying to switch company.

Mine was low but went up 25% this year with allianz.

beauf wrote: »
    Seems its easier if you are renewing with the same company, but impossible is trying to switch company.

Mine was low but went up 25% this year with allianz.

Yeah I'm assuming my quote increase of 2k was we've covered ourselves but we want you to F off ideally

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Ah here that's ****in nuts how can that be justified?

Can't be justified. He tried a few companies for comparison, waste of time, an post/Aviva renewal still there cheapest. Are for chill .......... I don't know how they are still in existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I was just wondering if it is only cars older than 15 years that are likely to see an increase in premiums?

My car is 05. 3 years ago I signed up with Liberty at a very reasonable €310 for comprehensive. The year after it increased by €50 but after ringing around their quote couldn't be beaten. Last year, they quoted me €500 and after speaking with them on the phone, they gave it to me for €420 (can't remember rightly). This year I've received a quote for €515 and after speaking again with them on the phone they brought it down to €408 (3rd party only).

I understand that due to rising insurance costs there would be an increase of some sort, but €200 over 3 years is ridiculous. I have tried a few online quotes and I'm getting >€600 for 3rd party!!!! This is scandalous!

Is it because my car is 12 years old?!

All cars, just a lot harder and more expensive with 10+

This is old news no...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Well the thread is titled >15 so I thought I'd ask anyway. I don't pay too much attention to the depths of whether it's cars >10 years old or not until I'm looking for my insurance!!!

Is it because they're more likely to break down?

I get mine serviced regularly - I think regular servicing should be taken into account. A 15 year old car that's regularly serviced could be in better condition than an 8 year old that hasn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭tom85

I have 05 bmw cd in showroom condition going by look of it i should sell it now because in year or two time no one will be able to insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

tom85 wrote: »
    I have 05 bmw cd in showroom condition going by look of it i should sell it now because in year or two time no one will be able to insurance

The flaw in that logic is that that there is no market now for cars approaching 15 either, so you'll get peanuts for it. And 2 years is a long time in insurance land, so I'd stick with it and go for the hope by the time the 2 yrs is up that a working alternative is available.

Otherwise, you're looking at speding 1000's on a newer car anyway.......just my 0.02.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Corvo

Today renewal is 2679

Working in the industry, I could usually give you a reasoned answer for an increase.

However I can't fathom that one, its disgraceful.

• Advertisement

Renting a car is cheaper than some of these examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Just of note - insured a 06 civic with Zurich for the reasonable amount of 597.

Got it for €910 with AXA through First Ireland insurance brokers

Will do me grand I've been planning only keeping it one more year anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Candlewick

Just goes to show that it pays to shop around when you are looking for motor insurance. I have found that in recent years. I never pay the first amount quoted for renewal without negotiating and finding out what other options are available to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Well the thread is titled >15 so I thought I'd ask anyway. I don't pay too much attention to the depths of whether it's cars >10 years old or not until I'm looking for my insurance!!!

Is it because they're more likely to break down?

I get mine serviced regularly - I think regular servicing should be taken into account. A 15 year old car that's regularly serviced could be in better condition than an 8 year old that hasn't!

Your car is in good condition and is NCT'd twice as often as, say, a 5 yr old car......so if condition was a factor you should actually get a discount, not a loading.

But of course this is Ireland and the only excuse for the premiums on older stuff is pure greed. There is no actuarial basis for it whatsoever.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

galwaytt wrote: »
    Your car is in good condition and is NCT'd twice as often as, say, a 5 yr old car......so if condition was a factor you should actually get a discount, not a loading.

But of course this is Ireland and the only excuse for the premiums on older stuff is pure greed. There is no actuarial basis for it whatsoever.
    On a comparison, are UK cars over 10 years tested annually or how does that system work?

I have an 10 year old car (11 at the time of next insurance renewal) which I was thinking of keeping as it passes the NCT no bother and has small mileage. Beginning to wonder if I should try to change after reading this thread.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,060 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Candlewick wrote: »
    I have an 10 year old car (11 at the time of next insurance renewal) which I was thinking of keeping as it passes the NCT no bother and has small mileage. Beginning to wonder if I should try to change after reading this thread.

It'll cost you money either way, newer car or increased insurance.

My own insurance went up from 580 to 630, for a 03 Golf, with RSA. I am in no hurry to get rid of the car either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Just got my dads 01 car-van insured with liberty for 700e today!

• Advertisement

Parchment wrote: »
    Just got my dads 01 car-van insured with liberty for 700e today!
    Sounds like good value but that depends on your age, your licence, your no claims bonus and the value of the van.

Advertisement