Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late Toy Show = Ireland a Nation of Simpletons?

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 13,816 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

She'll be too busy reading to be on the Toy Show. She reads and I mean really reads. It's very unusual.

She'll have read all the books by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

She'll have read all the books by then.

That'll be very unusual!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I love the toy show. Always did. It's a bit of harmless fun and merriment in an otherwise gloomy world. Now that I live abroad a load of us irish get together in someone's apartment and watch it, it's a slice of home for the night.

Some people need to stick a light bulb up their arse and lighten up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Grandeeod wrote: »
    What age are you? Seriously. Do you have kids? I made a very basic point about my own child NOT being consumed by watching the LLTS and usually reading a book on a friday night. Im not wondering about it. I encourage it. She will watch it this Friday, just like I said she would.

Yes, to slag it off apparently. :confused: Your kid doesn't have to like the show, of course. But you appear to making some correlation between your child enjoying reading and not liking the toy show (remember what you said - only watching it to stay up later and slag it off). Enjoying the show has no correlation to not enjoying reading, none at all. Kids can do both. Liking toys and salivating over them doesn't convey a lack of brainpower. And nope, reading is not unusual for children, especially not Roald Dahl.

maudgonner wrote: »
    Well there is a pattern here...the previous presenter's nickname 'Pat the Plank' sounds like an instruction a paedophile would issue to kids. :eek:

:eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

I watched a half hour of it tonight and I stand by my original post. Any adult who is entertained by this ****e needs help.

A fcuking national embarrassment. Lol!

The famine clearly did not kill enough of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    I watched a half hour of it tonight and I stand by my original post. Any adult who is entertained by this ****e needs help.

What great things are you going to achieve tonight so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Ah would you relax. The kids like it, that's the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Jesus, you're easily embarrassed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

https://media.tenor.co/images/3e3e3e90da3e32b6e0fbf259567d9e96/raw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Loving the innuendos,thinks he's doing a great job really. Wish my girls were small again :( must be a competition for the best dressed in audience though, never seen them looking so festive! Or maybe I've just never noticed with the wine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭rob316

the last young one was fairly hyper. way too much coke

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

A little known fact that I'd thought I'd share with you all,quite a few of the kids have different disabilities,learning and physical but not very obvious to everyone , that's why I love it .Ryan tubridy has insisted on this, and to the gentleman whose daughter loves reading, my daughter does too and was on the LLTS, talking about dolls but she also reads one book and listens to another simultaneously,at 14 not that unusual :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Tubridy is also a huge advocate of reading, and makes sure there is always a book section on the toy show.

I usually think he is great with the kids on the toy show, but that was just plain nasty with the little boy and the lamb, to keep pushing it like that was wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Edups2.0

rob316 wrote: »
    the last young one was fairly hyper. way too much coke

Jaysus she was clear mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Stop looking for attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

Am I the only Irish person who absolutely cringes when thinking that this is the annual cultural highlight of an easily spellbound nation?

Other countries produce opera, pagents, fiestas, etc.

We produce an RTE welfare case shooting his load on the latest Fisher Price Playstation (activity set)
    cultural highlight :) wtf are you on about? nobody thinks it is .. I won't criticise people who watch it either though

muddypaws wrote: »
    Tubridy is also a huge advocate of reading, and makes sure there is always a book section on the toy show.

That was always pushed on the show. Nothing new there!

Half an hour is a lot to watch when you have no interest in it. For example, I watched zero minutes of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

The toy show should have a podcast/audiobook section to go along with the reading section. Lots of great educational and scientific podcasts/audiobooks being broadcast that young people could delve into and enjoy, can make their own presents for themselves through immediate and enjoyable knowledge learning. Some young folks probably utilize them anyways but the toy show should tap into it and help broadcast it more to those that maybe don't

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

We produce an RTE welfare case shooting his load on the latest Fisher Price Playstation (activity set)

Out of curiosity, does that void the warranty, or...?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's a pity Pete Doherty and the Baybyshambles weren't on after. I was told that they were going to give a set. A live version of The Lost Art of Murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Too much singing snd dancing and not enough toys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

muddypaws wrote: »
    Tubridy is also a huge advocate of reading, and makes sure there is always a book section on the toy show

Great to see the editorial department of the Daily Platitude chime in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

While I can understand why Tubridy is there (€€€), and I can understand why the kids are there, I simply cannot understand why random people choose to attend this train wreck of a show.

• Administrators Posts: 13,816 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

For the free stuff. People came home with about €1000 worth of stuff last night. And the people in the audience are the children of 20-30 years ago who loved watching it, who probably have their own children now.

If people don't like it you don't have to watch it. There is plenty of choice on telly these days. Freesat gives you any amount of channels for nothing. It's a bit of light hearted entertainment. It's not meant to be taken seriously. It's not billed as "the cultural highlight of the year"... It's a bit of harmless fun that makes memories for an awful lot of children.

Turn it off and go to an opera if it's too low brow for anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyTClarke

In fairness to the Toy Show, it's not the most cringe worthy TV institution in Ireland. No, that award goes to the Rose of Tralee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Too much singing snd dancing and not enough toys.
    1. Like this since I watched it first in December 1984
    2. Tell that to the Singers and dancers of all ages. You'll be scoffed at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

I simply cannot understand why random people choose to attend this train wreck of a show.
    Because in the wisdom of some goons in the Public Relations, it's a GREAT IDEA to give some LLTS tickets to randomers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

While I can understand why Tubridy is there (€€€), and I can understand why the kids are there, I simply cannot understand why random people choose to attend this train wreck of a show.

Because they get a trailer full of giveaways. The amount last night was very impressive

Advertisement