Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late Toy Show = Ireland a Nation of Simpletons?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Grandeeod wrote: »
    As for young kids reading books and I mean actually reading books, you are kidding yourself if you think a lot do, so yes these days it is unusual.

It really isn't.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

A 6 year old reading Dahl? Why that's nothing! My 2 year old is reading Proust.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Do they even care about toys anymore?
    Smartphones and tablets for the lot of them. :(

Them crazy kids might as well be mainlined to the internet of things with the direction we're headed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Its something for the kids to watch.

Most of the adults that watch the show seem to be more hyped up about it than the kids.

• Administrators Posts: 13,889 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

She's looking forward to the LLTS, but only because she gets to stay up a little later and enjoys slagging off bits of it with her Dad.:D

What bits will you be slagging off? The last few years it's been heavy with entertainment, provided exclusively by children. I hope you don't encourage your daughter to sneer at other children??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Do they even care about toys anymore?
    if you classify the Nintendo Classic Mini as the toy maybe. :pac:

the 'review' by 10 year old boy will get 7/10 :)

it did'nt get the 3 marks cos he did'nt get the 1980's sense of the device.

Since I'm not watch the Late Late Toy smasheroo some other boardsie can tell me how accurate I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    Am I the only Irish person who absolutely cringes when thinking that this is the annual cultural highlight of an easily spellbound nation?

Other countries produce opera, pagents, fiestas, etc.

We produce an RTE welfare case shooting his load on the latest Fisher Price Playstation (activity set)

Toy Show > you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

As for young kids reading books and I mean actually reading books, you are kidding yourself if you think a lot do, so yes these days it is unusual.

It's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

I'm looking forward to it. It's a good night's entertainment. That said, I also think Tubridy is an all right sort of lad and that RTE punch far above their weight as a a public service broadcaster operating in a small country. Doesn't suit the online outrage crew though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

JupiterKid wrote: »
    A 6 year old reading Dahl? Why that's nothing! My 2 year old is reading Proust.:)

My kid was reading Foucault and Derrida while in utero

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Prime Irish Beef

Oodoov wrote: »
    If i paid the licence fee i'd give a sh it.

Watch out, we have a bad ass over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Why are so many people in this thread unable to differentiate between the possessive singular and the possessive plural of words?

It's so basic it's embarrassing. Hopefully you're getting somebody to proofread your job applications, etc.

Absolutely. I admit the whole concept of more than one word with different meaning that sounds the same is beyond my intellectual capacity. Thank god for people like you who have the expertise to set us straight. Ensuring idiots like us get this right on an Internet forum like boards.ie is probably the most important challenge of our ( are? I'm so confused ) times. Imagine boards without it. Anarchy!

And I suppose your ( you're ? I'm so confused) rare and highly sought after talent to know when to use your or you're lands you an extremely high paying, high flying glamour job as curator of the the Internet. Wow you are important. Do you wear a f*cking cape?

The word hero gets bandied about too often these days, but you sir are the greatest hero of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Mrs Sutch loves it, she also tries to make the little sutch's watch it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

whiterob81 wrote: »
    I don't really like watching it these days. I always think Ryan looks a bit stiff around the children.

That's genuinely worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The toy show is perhaps the only place where Ryan Tubridy looks comfortable. RTE make a big deal of it and never fail to mention it all week before and after every other programme. Perhaps the toy show is the only Late Late Show that knows its audience at least?

Love it or hate it the toy show is part and parcel of Christmas in Ireland. The excessive Christmas jumper, the cocky upperclass kids and Tubridy acting the clown are all part and parcel of the tradition. There's a lot of plastic insincerity there and one cannot help thinking most of the kids featured are the children of all these RTE personalities and so-called 'stars' we see on Tubridy's other shows throughout the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,137 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Please tell us more about how brilliant you believe your child is. Everyone here completely gives a f*ck.

Here's one to report....Go **** yourself!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,137 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

What bits will you be slagging off? The last few years it's been heavy with entertainment, provided exclusively by children. I hope you don't encourage your daughter to sneer at other children??

Oh you are so PC with that concern for my child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I enjoy the thread on here where everyone gets lit and abuses tubs. Other than that I can take or leave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Am I the only person who thinks turbidy - while otherwise a mediocre interviewer- is pretty good at the toy show? Better than Gay.

Am I the only person who thinks turbidy - while otherwise a mediocre interviewer- is pretty good at the toy show? Better than Gay.

I feel the same. This is Tubridy's forte. It is also the only Late Late Show that knows its audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Omackeral wrote: »

Well there is a pattern here...the previous presenter's nickname 'Pat the Plank' sounds like an instruction a paedophile would issue to kids. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

This is a prime case of the perpetually outraged.

Lighten up.

It's light entertainment on a Friday evening. Tubridy is a twonk but he can work with kids.

And I hate that fncker.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

And now we're going to show you a few toys made by a small company from carrickmacross...
    Invariably proceded the showing of sh*t made out of wood that nobody wanted.

Timber toys are great- Germans do them very well

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

The Toy Show is good entertainment.

Have watched it for many years with my children, and now with my grandchildren.

• Administrators Posts: 13,889 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Oh you are so PC with that concern for my child.

I'd be more concerned for other children and that your daughter, at 5, was being taught to laugh at them.

Btw, your daughter is a bit young for the toy show yet. Give it another two years and she'll be longingly watching it wishing she could be on it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I'd be more concerned for other children and that your daughter, at 5, was being taught to laugh at them.

Btw, your daughter is a bit young for the toy show yet. Give it another two years and she'll be longingly watching it wishing she could be on it!!

She'll be too busy reading to be on the Toy Show. She reads and I mean really reads. It's very unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

Omackeral wrote: »
    maudgonner wrote: »
    Well there is a pattern here...the previous presenter's nickname 'Pat the Plank' sounds like an instruction a paedophile would issue to kids. :eek:

I was joking! Put the pitchforks down people!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

It's because he's an overgrown child.

Coming back to issues relating to the toy show: at least the toy show does what it said on the tin. It serves an audience of kids and their parents/grandparents/aunts/uncles. Could the same be said about most other editions of the Tubridy show?

The Valentines special is more an example of pandering to a nation of simpletons. The 2 times it was on gave us among the worst drivel ever seen on a Friday night on RTE 1. Who wants a show dedicated to loudmouthed divorced idiots tanked up on wine, 50 Shades of Grey and yet another dose of Katie Hopkins?

It is sad that RTE give us all this drivel like a constant diet of reality TV, poor pop/modern country music, the RTE canteen every chance they can, the same old unpopular individuals like Bill Cullen on for years, Ruby Walsh until one is blue in the teeth, Louis Walsh non-stop, etc. The Late Late Show has been rendered to be just a promoter of all this poor fare and poor programmes. RTE are not catering for the majority of the population who have much better taste in entertainment that this absolute dross. Compared to ALL this, the toy show makes sense and provides something different and ironically less infantile.

If RTE are in financial difficulties, a lot of the reason is that they are squandering money on boring programmes no one wants. There's a few dramas this year no one asked for, then there's that godawful Stetsons and Stilettos, and then there's stuff like Room To Improve and all then Rachel Allen shows that have become jaded at this stage. RTE are making the individuals in these awful or boring or played out shows rich and themselves poor. No wonder no one is happy paying the TV tax and it is a total insult to anyone who pays it that they are ignored. The media have never been so out of touch with the people and so against the people. The content of Tubridy's show most of the time is proof of that. Again at least the toy show genuinely caters for an audience.

PS: Ireland is not a nation of simpletons. The media thinks we are though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

The Valentines Day thing is because they don't have to pay a guest.

Advertisement