Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late Toy Show = Ireland a Nation of Simpletons?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Ryan Tubridy barely keeping his boiling irritation with children, studio audience and interviewees in check; some kid cycling into a speaker; 'why didn't I get toys like this when I was a child'; booing the Billy Barry Kids; some kind of trad music/hi-hop fusion bonanza; six year old getting in a sick burn on Tubridy; ridiculous competition prizes; perfect running time to get nicely gee-eyed. It's fecking great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

_Jamie_ wrote: »
    Lots of kids would do that, it's hardly unusual. Some of them will just spend this particular Friday watching the toy show. I don't understand what point you are trying to make or why you are wondering at your child reading a book by a very popular children's book author like that is somehow unusual.

What age are you? Seriously. Do you have kids? I made a very basic point about my own child NOT being consumed by watching the LLTS and usually reading a book on a friday night. Im not wondering about it. I encourage it. She will watch it this Friday, just like I said she would.

As for young kids reading books and I mean actually reading books, you are kidding yourself if you think a lot do, so yes these days it is unusual.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Seriously is there one person in Ireland who likes Ryan Tubridy? A gormless charmless cretin. How the f*ck did he get the job in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Why don't people just mind their own business?

It doesn't affect you if people watch the toy show. Worry about your own life, not the lives of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I never liked it even when I was a child mainly because some little fucker would be given a brilliant top of the range toy that I wanted and he would stand there saying "it's alright" or "I don't really like Transformers" or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Senna wrote: »
    Have you ever watch a TV channel from another country? It really seems like you have not, they're not 24/7 Opera and the arts you know.

SCORCHIO!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭893bet

My favourite tubridy moment was Katie Hopkins ripping him a new arsehole a few weeks ago. Genuinely funny watching him flounder against her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

893bet wrote: »
    My favourite tubridy moment was Katie Hopkins ripping him a new arsehole a few weeks ago. Genuinely funny watching him flounder against her.

When he's interviewing Richard Dawkins he gets owned completely, fantastic youtube viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

All my nieces and nephews (6-9) read. One 6 year old is reading Dahl.

My 7 year old is also flying through his books. My 9 year old has been through the Harry potter's already and is about to discover the Lord of the rings for Christmas.

Loads of kids still love reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

All my nieces and nephews (6-9) read. One 6 year old is reading Dahl.

Roald, not Sophie I hope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Seriously is there one person in Ireland who likes Ryan Tubridy? A gormless charmless cretin. How the f*ck did he get the job in the first place?

Not wishing to be controversial but...I like Ryan Tubridy.

Seems an affable genuine chap. The LLS can be a crying bore, but just check out the rotten stale guest list. They need to cancel The Saturday show to concentrate one solid line-up a week.The haters will be hating cos the host has to be everything to all men so it seems an impossible gig. When you ask who would be better its usually silence or heaven forbid answers like Darcy or Daithi...emm yeah.
    Now whose gormless and charmless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

I dont like Ryan Tubridy.

I dont like kids.

I won't be watching it, but to each their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

It's his personality, lol and the connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

darlett wrote: »
    When you ask who would be better its usually silence or heaven forbid answers like Darcy or Daithi...emm yeah.
    Now whose gormless and charmless?

I think Grainne Seoige would have been a good choice for the show. I know people will say she's not the most likable of sorts but either was Gaybo in his hey day either tbf and I think that's not a bad thing anyway, as you to have the ability to be a bit of c**t when the occasion warrants it. When her sister was drowning with her daytime stint she stepped in a few times for her and I thought she was excellent. Famously had a bit of a run in with Gerry Adams during a phone interview on one occasion which was a bit of craic. She has serious interviewing skills but yet can have the craic too.

However, her main attribute for me is that she has an opinion of her own and is not afraid to express an opinion which is not all that politically correct, something with Ryan T would be afraid of his shite to do. So wooden you'd get splinters watching him. Agree with you about Darcy or Daithi though, two gombeens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

My kids like watching it but rarely last until the end. I think they like the fact more that they can have treats while watching it.

Even though I'm an unabashed Christmas fiend, I think the Toy Show is definitely one of those Irish cultural instituations that is more relevant to adult nostalgists and increasingly less to modern children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Will tv3 be running their abomination this year as well.

My eldest watched the LLTS, which means I do too. I find that her interest wains after about an hour (could be more down to tiredness) but she won't go to bed before it's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I can't wait for the Toy Show:) I'm hoping to have the tree up, few nice things to eat, and it is one of the only evenings in the year all of us will sit down together to watch something. The eldest are a teen and early 20's, and we are doing it all over again with an almost 5yr old so am planning on thoroughly enjoying the Toy Show, and Christmas. They are only small for a very short time, so if enjoying stuff like this makes me a simpleton in some people's eyes so be it.

• Administrators Posts: 13,861 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Just to say, I don't think.the Billy Barry Kids have been involved for years. There are so many other schools around now in every corner of the country, the BBs don't have the monopoly anymore.

As for children reading... Loads of them do! Of course loads of them don't, but loads of them do too. There are a lot of children around!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Just to say, I don't think.the Billy Barry Kids have been involved for years.

The Billy Barry Kids were present on the late late Toy Show with Gay Byrne when I watched it in December 1984.

• Administrators Posts: 13,861 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

That's 32 year ago ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

By now it's a given that some Billy Barry school past pupils if not current kids themselves are reading this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Agreed, chief. Forget about Yeats, Kavanagh, Behan, Swift, Brian Ó Nualláin, Joyce and all that lot. We need something like the Potato Museum in Blackfoot, ID.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

RTE could be showing a lot worse - like programmes showing women how to conceal evidence of domestic abuse like in Morocco.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Christmas has been hi-jacked by single childless arsehole types who want to drink, buy ****e, act like berks and ignore or slag off religion.

God be with the days when Gaybo used to have the Archbishop on the Toy Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

God be with the days when Gaybo used to have the Archbishop on the Toy Show.

It's cringing to think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

I don't really like watching it these days. I always think Ryan looks a bit stiff around the children.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭Kadser

JupiterKid wrote: »
    RTE could be showing a lot worse - like programmes showing women how to conceal evidence of domestic abuse like in Morocco.
    Or topless darts.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭pocketse

ardinn wrote: »
    Im absolutely cringing you think that this countries annual cultural highlight is the LLTS

It's actually people like you who are the embarrassment!

Have to agree with this. This country does produces great operas, plays, cultural events. The very fact that you don't know about them would lead me to believe you've never actually sought them out. Stop expecting TV to bring culture into your living room. Get up off your arse, buy a ticket and support something!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I reckon you have nailed that in one. While my 8 year old was only introduced to it 2 years ago, its really just something to watch on TV on that particular night. Last night she read a book, Charlie and the chocolate factory. Imagine that? Yes she reads books and actually enjoys it more than TV. She's looking forward to the LLTS, but only because she gets to stay up a little later and enjoys slagging off bits of it with her Dad.:D

Please tell us more about how brilliant you believe your child is. Everyone here completely gives a f*ck.

• Advertisement

Why are so many people in this thread unable to differentiate between the possessive singular and the possessive plural of words?

It's so basic it's embarrassing. Hopefully you're getting somebody to proofread your job applications, etc.

Advertisement