Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late Toy Show = Ireland a Nation of Simpletons?

Options
  • 26-11-2016 7:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Am I the only Irish person who absolutely cringes when thinking that this is the annual cultural highlight of an easily spellbound nation?

Other countries produce opera, pagents, fiestas, etc.

We produce an RTE welfare case shooting his load on the latest Fisher Price Playstation (activity set)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,301 ✭✭✭✭noodler

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    Am I the only Irish person who absolutely cringes when thinking that this is the annual cultural highlight of an easily spellbound nation?

We produce an RTE welfare case shooting his load on the latest Fisher Price Playstation.

The only one, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭ratracer

We produce an RTE welfare case shooting his load on the latest Fisher Price Playstation.

I don't think fisher price make PlayStation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭munster87

Who's spellbound by it? You're the one starting a thread about it

• Site Banned Posts: 5 BlindBoyRB

I owned a Fiesta once, they're nothing to be bragging about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

I think it's safe to say RTE produce a lot of crap that your TV licence money pays for. I'm quite the cynic myself but I think the Toy Show is one of the few things they do that's really good. It's a happy occasion and the kids absolutely love it, let people be merry I say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

If i paid the licence fee i'd give a sh it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,964 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

People have house party's around the Late Late toy show

Loved it as a child , favourite parts were the video game segment and when they showed the wrestling toys

The toys of today are way better than the stuff I played with 15-20 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

I loath soccer, bunch of lads paid silly money to play a life size version of subuteo. Then again, it might not just be my cup of tea, I might not be the target audience. I'll not watch it so.... What's next. Kimberly mikado muck...give me a club milk

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Fisher-Price always made the best gear before technology reared it's ugly head

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Im absolutely cringing you think that this countries annual cultural highlight is the LLTS

It's actually people like you who are the embarrassment!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

I don't watch it anymore but does it do any harm ? Sure it brings a bit of Christmissy cheer in to your gaff...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Thread is garbage from the very first line.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

Ireland a Nation of Self Loathing Simpletons*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I'm 33 now, the Toy Show was a big deal when I was a young lad, but the interest seemed to be specifically for people aged 6-13 and parents of those kids. Outside of that it was no big deal, although quite probably with a large viewing total.

Nowadays though there is a huge mania about it from all sides, including childless 30 somethings, of either gender.....all following the pied piper Tubridy, hoodwinking people into thinking that 1) they should care and 2) he cares! The ads with those Cheshire cat grins and hugging kids make me sick. He couldn't give two ****s aside from the fact that it's the flagship night in the seat that pays him a whack load of dosh in an otherwise failing slot and host. I look forward to hearing about his "wacky" jumper this year and how this somehow proves that he's up for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The traditional AH thread that goes along with it makes the whole thing hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

We produce an RTE welfare case shooting his load on the latest Fisher Price Playstation (activity set)

Have you ever watch a TV channel from another country? It really seems like you have not, they're not 24/7 Opera and the arts you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

OP, are you the same person who refused the tickets off Pat Kenny years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

I've no problem with it. The kids and the mammies and the daddies can watch it. Lots of other channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I like it. No harm. It's something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I find this outrageous and I feel moderately angry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Edups2.0

Bah humbug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

As a child the toy show was absolutely magical. Loved it. Can't wait till my little lad is old enough to appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭sjb25

I know I missed the toyshow last year but it sure had escalated quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The Toy Show had some merit years ago, in a different, innocent time. Gay Byrne shooting his load all over a delighted audience is a particular fond memory!

Now, it's a bit like modern pop music. Manufactured, stage managed and over rehearsed to within an inch of it's life. And that prize gimp hosting it doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    OP, are you the same person who refused the tickets off Pat Kenny years ago?

Kenny displayed a distinct lack of class there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Agricola wrote: »
    The Toy Show had some merit years ago, in a different, innocent time. Gay Byrne shooting his load all over a delighted audience is a particular fond memory!

Now, it's a bit like modern pop music. Manufactured, stage managed and over rehearsed to within an inch of it's life. And that prize gimp hosting it doesn't help.
    Yeah totally agreed. It was so much better in the 80s/90s. Now I know someone will likely come along and point out what a coincidence it is that that era also happens to have been when I was a child :D and true... but I would have no interest in showing today's Toy Show to my nieces. It's a different show and not in a good way, imo. Too much tat rather than focus on the toys and the kids trying them out, which - apart from the Billy Barry kids - was the entire thing when Gaybo presented it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I think it's safe to say RTE produce a lot of crap that your TV licence money pays for. I'm quite the cynic myself but I think the Toy Show is one of the few things they do that's really good. It's a happy occasion and the kids absolutely love it, let people be merry I say.

Given that it's normally the most watched TV show of the year, I wouldn't think the TV licence income pays for any of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Agricola wrote: »
    Gay Byrne shooting his load all over a delighted audience is a particular fond memory!
    with the water gun.

Myself, the time that Gaybo had to stand still, while a fella with a yo - yo took a 5 pence coin from his year is recalled.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

ligerdub wrote: »
    I'm 33 now, the Toy Show was a big deal when I was a young lad, but the interest seemed to be specifically for people aged 6-13 and parents of those kids. Outside of that it was no big deal, although quite probably with a large viewing total.

Nowadays though there is a huge mania about it from all sides, including childless 30 somethings, of either gender.....all following the pied piper Tubridy, hoodwinking people into thinking that 1) they should care and 2) he cares! The ads with those Cheshire cat grins and hugging kids make me sick.

You forgot to mention the Billy Barry element.

Little $*&%' s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

It's not the cultural highlight though. :confused: I doubt that even people who like it consider it that.

Advertisement