Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dáil is an ‘assembly of half-wits and lunatics’ - Michael O'Leary

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Think it's a very easy cheap shot to ask people, when they complain, what are they going to do about it!

I'd love to do something about it but I'd hate to run for public office because I genuinely believe I wouldn't get 20 votes in a General Election - and also because I am not qualified. One of the problems is, most of the TDs aren't either!

I wouldn't attach myself to any of the established parties - coz firstly, they're the problem and secondly, you'd need to serve your time licking arses for years before you'd even get on a ticket.

You can't even start a new party. Lucinda Creighton tried that and practically the whole country sneered at her and were just dying to see her fall on her arse - which she duly did! Much to widespread delight.

So what are you supposed to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Think it's a very easy cheap shot to ask people, when they complain, what are they going to do about it!

I'd love to do something about it but I'd hate to run for public office because I genuinely believe I wouldn't get 20 votes in a General Election - and also because I am not qualified. One of the problems is, most of the TDs aren't either!

I wouldn't attach myself to any of the established parties - coz firstly, they're the problem and secondly, you'd need to serve your time licking arses for years before you'd even get on a ticket.

You can't even start a new party. Lucinda Creighton tried that and practically the whole country sneered at her and were just dying to see her fall on her arse - which she duly did! Much to widespread delight.

So what are you supposed to do?

What you are suppose to do is get involved in civic organisation and campaign for the change you want, you are coming across as a bit whiny maybe you don't mean too, Lucinda Creighton failure has noting to do with you stating a new party, she wasn't laugh at she was derided for he views.

A complete loon has started a new party based on his latest obsession and even managed to get on national radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

People used to say years back that a businessman like Michael O'Leary should be running the country.

He is NOTHING like trump. He hasn't bankrupted a number of his businesses and doesn't tend to rant incoherent racist nonsense.. just to point out but a few differences.

Nothing wrong with a businessman running the country, so long as they aren't bat sh!t crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Everyone who has ever listened to these guys is dumber for having done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

mariaalice wrote: »
    What you are suppose to do is get involved in civic organisation and campaign for the change you want, you are coming across as a bit whiny maybe you don't mean too, Lucinda Creighton failure has noting to do with you stating a new party, she wasn't laugh at she was derided for he views.

A complete loon has started a new party based on his latest obsession and even managed to get on national radio.

Well, you don't know what civic organization I am or have previously been involved with. Did you miss the bit where I said I am not qualified to run for public office? But I don't think you paid very much attention to the launch of Renua if you think Creighton was laughed at for her views - If it was as simple as that, the would have done well because there's always going to be a significant enough number of people who would agree with her - enough to get at least a couple of them elected. She was laughed at because they didn't have a thorough manifesto covering every single angle of every single issue known to man on day 1 of the party's existence (refer to her appearance on The Late Late Show on launch day - refer to the Renua Facebook page which was derided daily for this reason). Then they also take one headline from the existing policies of the party, or one name from the party, and use it to ridicule everything about the whole party - exactly as you have just done to Justin Barrett's new party.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Laois_Man wrote: »
    No there's nothing wrong with complaining. What's a bit galling though is the journal.ie types who moan and moan about all politicians, civil servants and just any other Irish people doing nothing yet never even make suggestions for improvements themselves. I don't think anyone expects everyone with a complaint to run for office, it's just the lack of even offering an alternative idea that makes their complaining so hollow. They tend to be the kind who want excellent services but not to have to pay the taxes for them. It's not just an Irish thing though (The Simpsons spoofed it beautifully with the bear tax episode and the "Can't someone else do it" one).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,481 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Well 13 bn certainly wouldnt hinder and its not something we can afford to turn down but i certainly dont know how low to middle income families are squeezed for every cent with Water charges, property charges, income taxes, increase in VAT rate, costs of running a car, costs of running a household, costs of education and yet this major elephant in the room is blatantly ignored. Its the fact that multi billion dollar companies get these breaks so liberally that frustrates me while normal hard working people are bullied into handing over more of their hard earned. 13 bn may not 'solve our problem' but it could go a long way in terms of taking the burden off at the same time.

By spending 20 bn on both Welfare and Health do you mean funding the actual departments themselves or the actual costs of providing healthcare and the provision of welfare payments?

The Apple judgement obliges Ireland to COLLECT the €13bn owed in tax only.

The amount is in fact then owed to a string of countries that Apple siphoned revenue out of, Ireland being very low on that list.

Upon collection, Ireland then must distribute the owings to the countries who were defrauded, there will be no 13bn floating around here.

Amazing how many people just read headlines on the likes of the journal and spout soundbites "apple 13bn we'll all be rich etc".

Also, 13bn wouldn't run the HSE for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

Everyone who has ever listened to these guys is dumber for having done so.

I think this guy is a genius. He denies climate change to get the headlines.
    His voice is super strongly local which make him even more of a target for ridicule
    but crucially as a politician, he highlights exactly the reasons he was elected.

carbon tax, the working man, farm relief, dredging the rivers.....

now that how you politician, no wonder the Healy-Rae's keep getting elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

creighton is streets ahead of any of those other morons in the dail in my opinion. With the current shambles, hopefully Renua can capitalise next time around. Im not in Lucinda constituency, but I read FG put their strongest Dublin candidates in that constituency, to make it more difficult for her to get a seat.

Maybe it isn't a surprise she didn't get elected, the Irish seems to love spoofers and bull****ters, we have the dail full, to prove it...
    Ill tell you the issue I have, we have the biggest bleeding heart country on earth, anyone here who came in and called it like it was, which would be moderate views in other countries, (their life would probably be made hell here, hitler etc, for holding in my opinion very moderate views). I am very interested in politics, but I would not be getting involved in it till my forties at least and hypothetically... The regressive left would be foaming at the mouth...

100% I totally agree and have said it before, if you are one of the established parties, you aren't the solution, you are part of the problem. if you are an independent, you are a cop out. Unlike you and I LaoisMan who would be wet behind the ears, they know exactly what is involved and yet they still wont start their own parties. Want to try and bring around real change? youd be starting your own party, all these independents can huff and puff all they want, if they indeed to want change, why aren't they out forming parties? no doubt because its a far easier life just agreeing with your constituents on every issue! and condemning the government on every issue too! Politics in Ireland and absolute comedy show!

Advertisement