Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dáil is an ‘assembly of half-wits and lunatics’ - Michael O'Leary

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Skommando wrote: »
    By using that justification there's also rape and robbery everywhere, so it's all good then, until it happens you or your family of course, but we can smugly say to you, it happens everywhere.
    Not directing this at you specifically, but online (which is a reflection of what people discuss off-line, even if they might do so more politely off-line!) quite a few Irish people tend to whinge about Ireland being this and Irish people doing that, as if it is only specific to Ireland (when it's in relation to stuff that happens anywhere). There's a fair bit of it on this thread alone. Completely lacking awareness that they are also Irish people and not doing anything about the problems either! They're just moaning about other Irish people doing/not doing/being/not being. I believe that's the point Ulysses is making.

So you have equated apple and their tax issues to people lying on hospital beds.

You do know Ireland spends 20 billion on welfare each year and another 20 billion on health.

13 billion will sort it all out.

Well 13 bn certainly wouldnt hinder and its not something we can afford to turn down but i certainly dont know how low to middle income families are squeezed for every cent with Water charges, property charges, income taxes, increase in VAT rate, costs of running a car, costs of running a household, costs of education and yet this major elephant in the room is blatantly ignored. Its the fact that multi billion dollar companies get these breaks so liberally that frustrates me while normal hard working people are bullied into handing over more of their hard earned. 13 bn may not 'solve our problem' but it could go a long way in terms of taking the burden off at the same time.

By spending 20 bn on both Welfare and Health do you mean funding the actual departments themselves or the actual costs of providing healthcare and the provision of welfare payments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Well 13 bn certainly wouldnt hinder and its not something we can afford to turn down but i certainly dont know how low to middle income families are squeezed for every cent with Water charges, property charges, income taxes, increase in VAT rate, costs of running a car, costs of running a household, costs of education and yet this major elephant in the room is blatantly ignored. Its the fact that multi billion dollar companies get these breaks so liberally that frustrates me while normal hard working people are bullied into handing over more of their hard earned. 13 bn may not 'solve our problem' but it could go a long way in terms of taking the burden off at the same time.

By spending 20 bn on both Welfare and Health do you mean funding the actual departments themselves or the actual costs of providing healthcare and the provision of welfare payments?

We have a Health Budget of €14.6 billion in 2016/2017.

For a country of 4 million + people, we SHOULD have a world class health system for that expenditure.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

Flimpson wrote: »
    Not directing this at you specifically, but online (which is a reflection of what people discuss off-line, even if they might do so more politely off-line!) quite a few Irish people tend to whinge about Ireland being this and Irish people doing that, as if it is only specific to Ireland (when it's in relation to stuff that happens anywhere). There's a fair bit of it on this thread alone. Completely lacking awareness that they are also Irish people and not doing anything about the problems either! They're just moaning about other Irish people doing/not doing/being/not being. I believe that's the point Ulysses is making.

I don't buy the justification and excuse that because it happens elsewhere, it should be acceptable in Ireland.

Can you detail for us what you doing about them ?

By using that piss poor justification there's also rape and robbery everywhere, so it's all good then, until it happens you or your family of course, but we can smugly say to you, it happens everywhere.

Did you even read the rest of my post? I think we tend to refer to the corruption in ireland as exclusive to us in conversation and from that pov i see where ulysses is coming from but if you had read the rest of my post i alluded to the fact that we may be more gullible than others for a chancer.

• Advertisement

Did you even read the rest of my post? I think we tend to refer to the corruption in ireland as exclusive to us in conversation and from that pov i see where ulysses is coming from but if you had read the rest of my post i alluded to the fact that we may be more gullible than others for a chancer.

Again if you want to continue to try and justify and excuse it because it happens elsewhere, don't expect others to play along with that justification and excuse.

We have a Health Budget of €14.6 billion in 2016/2017.

For a country of 4 million + people, we SHOULD have a world class health system for that expenditure.

Alot of it is being pumped into admin. Nurses have had to go abroad for work. its the likes of Brendan Drumm bleeding the country dry with massive salaries and expenses and then his predecessor came in

We're too beholden to Parish-Pump Politics. Gob****e Politician A in Ballygobackwards gets a few passports stamped, fixes the roads and gets a little infrastructure funding in and sure...who cares if he trousers a brown envelope or two?

He'll hold his clinic in the local pub, go down to the GAA club and sink a few pints and free round for the locals and...that's how it is done

That's how the corruption metastasizes.

People vote locally at national elections.

Again if you want to continue to try and justify and excuse it because it happens elsewhere, don't expect others to play along with that justification and excuse.

:confused: Im not doing that you utter lunatic.

I critiqued our own electorate in my post saying that we are more gullible than others. Did you not read it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

O' Leary may be correct about Dail Eireann but i'd say his boardroom would be an assembly of sycophants , 'yes men ' and 0'Leary clones and I doubt very much democracy holds sway there.

• Advertisement

What are you doing differently? How are you helping solve the problem.

Getting all outraged on boards is not going to solve the problem.

We're too beholden to Parish-Pump Politics. Gob****e Politician A in Ballygobackwards gets a few passports stamped, fixes the roads and gets a little infrastructure funding in and sure...who cares if he trousers a brown envelope or two. He'll hold his clinic in the local pub, go down to the GAA club and sink a few pints and free round for the locals and...that's how it is done

Yes you are right but this isnt just limited to rural politics. Haughey and Bertie had the voters eating out of their hands in North of Dublin City.

Tony Gregory himself although a genuinely decent man, prioritised (understandably so) his own constituency over the needs of the country when he signed a deal back in 1981 for investment in the city slums

What are you doing differently? How are you helping solve the problem.

Getting all outraged on boards is not going to solve the problem.

Why would I, it's the same everywhere apparently.

We're too beholden to Parish-Pump Politics. Gob****e Politician A in Ballygobackwards gets a few passports stamped, fixes the roads and gets a little infrastructure funding in and sure...who cares if he trousers a brown envelope or two?

He'll hold his clinic in the local pub, go down to the GAA club and sink a few pints and free round for the locals and...that's how it is done

It's the same everywhere, stop whinging.

What are you doing about it ?

It's the same everywhere, stop whinging.

What are you doing about it ?

I'm not complaining.

Stating a fact.

I don't buy the justification and excuse that because it happens elsewhere, it should be acceptable in Ireland.

Can you detail for us what you doing about them ?
    Well I didn't say it was an excuse - just gave my view as to what a poster meant. It's also not helpful when people claim something is specific to Ireland when it could be found anywhere - but I don't think anyone is saying that makes it ok either though.

I never demanded of others to state what they're doing about it so I'm not sure why you're asking me what I'm doing.

:confused: Im not doing that you utter lunatic.

I critiqued our own electorate in my post saying that we are more gullible than others. Did you not read it?

By gulibly pretending / justifying it's grand because it happens everywhere

Well I didn't say it was an excuse - just gave my view as to what a poster meant. It's also not helpful when people claim something is specific to Ireland when it could be found anywhere - but I don't think anyone is saying that makes it ok either though.

I never demanded of others to state what they're doing about it so I'm not sure why you're asking me what I'm doing.

Well given he/she refuses to specify what they are doing despite their own outrage......

Are you lacking awareness that this is Ireland and you're doing nothing about it ?

Well given he/she refuses to specify what they are doing despite their own outrage......

I've already told you, I'm going to use your excuse and justification for it from now on. It happens everywhere, stop complaining.

• Advertisement

By gulibly pretending / justifying it's grand because it happens everywhere

Where did i do that? :confused: Go away you clown

I've already told you, I'm going to use your excuse and justification for it from now on. It happens everywhere, stop complaining.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/quiz-rpg-the-world-of-mystic-wiz/images/b/bc/Style-6-talking-to-wall-300x290.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150603145404

Where did i do that? :confused: Go away you clown

Sure it happens everywhere. Stop whining.

Are you lacking awareness that this is Ireland and you're doing nothing about it ?
    Nope. Therefore I'm not whinging at other Irish people for not doing anything. :)

Nope. Therefore I'm not whinging at other Irish people for not doing anything. :)

sure it's everywhere, so stop complaining, accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭md23040

I remember the time of the bailout many people would have preferred the IMF to solely govern the country rather than any of the political parties.

The IMF would have had no political baggage, vested interests, looking over their shoulders towards next elections, and might have cut the crap out the public services, introduced efficiencies and leaner government. I would have preferred this too which is a sad indictment of modern day Irish politics and still much the same continues sadly today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The IMF would have had no political baggage, vested interests, looking over their shoulders towards next elections, and might have cut the crap out the public services, introduced efficiencies and leaner government. I would have preferred this too which is a sad indictment of modern day Irish politics and still much the same continues sadly today.
    Pity they arent running the place now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

The biggest issue is the Dail is largely powerless and you've a hugely powerful executive - the cabinet.

If the Dail becomes more serious as a source of legislation and not just rubber stamping exec decisions, it'll become far less useless.

As the voting patterns become less predictable the Dail is becoming a lot more active. For decades we had a totally useless opposition and a near default Fianna Fail "party of government".

That's changed and it's unlikely to change back again. So fingers crossed the Dail becomes more useful as time goes on.

I agree though we get the government we elect. If people paid more attention to national issues and stopped assuming TDs were county councillors with special responsibility for potholes and other minutia, we might get a useful national assembly.

Until we stop rewarding TDs exclusive for constituency service, they won't change their focus.

You have to start asking questions about bigger issues to TDs and dealing with Councillors much more for local issues. We tend to keep going to TD way too much

• Registered Users Posts: 35,686 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

All in all you're just a--nother prick in the Dail

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

At the end of the day we elect politicians to govern not to do what they do at the moment which is waffle and complain about the state of the place. We assign way to much to government as is.

Advertisement