Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dáil is an ‘assembly of half-wits and lunatics’ - Michael O'Leary

Options
  • 25-11-2016 6:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

So says everyone's favourite businessman Michael O'Leary
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/o-leary-calls-d%C3%A1il-assembly-of-half-wits-and-lunatics-1.2882008
    Mr O’Leary said the Irish electorate needed to take responsibility for choices made at the ballot box. People needed to stop voting in the local lunatic or the village idiot if they wanted a strong, serious government - “We, when given the opportunity, chose to vote in the worst assembly of half-wits and lunatics.
    The electorate cannot complain about the lack of activity by this Government because it was what they voted for.
    Is he right?
    I think he is. We have a very fair democratic voting system. The Dáil and its actions is basically a reflection of ourselves.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr Joe

100% on the money. Look at the bile spewed by idiots like Coppinger every day and along with the Left wing media setting the narrative. What he said about RTE and the Irish Times was even better and more accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Yea I think he is right to, But in all fairness our options are not great...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

snubbleste wrote: »
    So says everyone's favourite businessman Michael O'Leary
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/o-leary-calls-d%C3%A1il-assembly-of-half-wits-and-lunatics-1.2882008

Is he right?
    I think he is. We have a very fair democratic voting system. The Dáil and its actions is basically a reflection of ourselves.

I like our voting system. It gives a wide view and representation of people in society. The PR system is far better than the UK approach or the US electoral college method.

Mr Joe wrote: »
    100% on the money. Look at the bile spewed by idiots like Coppinger every day and along with the Left wing media setting the narrative. What he said about RTE and the Irish Times was even better and more accurate.

A left wing hasn't been in government here ever.

.FFFGFFFGFFFGFFGLABFFFGLAB ETC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I also agree with him. There's an inability amongst the Irish electorate to be cognisant of bigger pictures and of national issues.

However, the electoral set up in Ireland is dysfunctional which keeps the cycle of idiocy going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr Joe

I like our voting system. It gives a wide view and representation of people in society. The PR system is far better than the UK approach or the US electoral college method.
    In some ways it is in some ways it isn't. It's good it isn't a closed 2 party system. But it helps ensure we get pathetic governance ie the current Circus with independents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

He's our princess di Donald trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hard to argue with him. Many that fit that description in all the current parties and Independent groups

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭brickmauser

The selections of candidates to parties are made at cummans and constituency meetings which are made up of or ruled by members of the same families who were on the local steering committees of the Volunteers a century ago. A great grandfather or grandfather of a serving TD won the seat in the 1918 election and took either side in the civil war. The same is true of many county councillors. The seats are owned by these families or extended members and handed down generation to generation when voters are instructed to do so by canvassers. If your father or mother always voted for the father of the local candidate now you will vote for his son. That way you can get into Gardai get a job as a teacher civil servant and get your kids a place in the local school and get your planning permission and get a cancer check before everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

We get what we deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

No way. A person complaining about politicians? Stop the f**king press!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

The selections of candidates to parties are made at cummans and constituency meetings which are made up of or ruled by members of the same families who were on the local steering committees of the Volunteers a century ago. A great grandfather or grandfather of a serving TD won the seat in the 1918 election and took either side in the civil war. The same is true of many county councillors. The seats are owned by these families or extended members and handed down generation to generation when voters are instructed to do so by canvassers. If your father or mother always voted for the father of the local candidate now you will vote for his son. That way you can get into Gardai get a job as a teacher civil servant and get your kids a place in the local school and get your planning permission and get a cancer check before everyone else.

I think that's an argument from the 1970's. The problem now is the independents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Might be angling for the job himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

He's our princess di Donald trump.

People used to say years back that a businessman like Michael O'Leary should be running the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Name a single qualified, competent candidate that was on the ballot paper in any constituency in the country, in the last or in any general election?

Also I'd like Michael O'Leary to state who he gave his voting preferences to in his constituency so we can all learn from him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Nothing new there, what he said in that article, he has said many times before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ted111 wrote: »
    Name a single qualified, competent candidate that was on the ballot paper in any constituency in the country, in the last or in any general election?
    What qualifies one to run for parliament?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Your da ran before. I.E.Connaughton and Kenny for starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

That's a harsh comparison on half-wits and lunatics to compare them to the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Only 1 modern politician is a direct descendant of the War of Independence, Nessa Childers, and she's not even in the Dáil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

I know what I think qualifies someone to sit in parliament and I'll tell you if you want, but you're not getting my point. MOL and the people who agreed with him above are saying that Irish people are at fault for electing morons. It's for MOL and his agree'ers to point out the non morons who should have been voted in. Who was on the ballots that is top notch and didn't get the votes. Point that out, Michael, name that person, and then you can blame people for failing to vote for this great person.

In particular MOL should name who he voted for. Since he is castigating other people's voting choice - then let's us have a look at his.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Yea I think he is right to, But in all fairness our options are not great...

Thats pretty much how I feel too. Our options are quite frankly pitiful. However the political culture acts as a barrier to anyone trying to be different.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

goose2005 wrote: »
    Only 1 modern politician is a direct descendant of the War of Independence, Nessa Childers, and she's not even in the Dáil.
    :confused::confused:
    Éamonn Ó Cuív

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Ted111 wrote: »
    I know what I think qualifies someone to sit in parliament and I'll tell you if you want, but you're not getting my point. MOL and the people who agreed with him above are saying that Irish people are at fault for electing morons. It's for MOL and his agree'ers to point out the non morons who should have been voted in. Who was on the ballots that is top notch and didn't get the votes. Point that out, Michael, name that person, and then you can blame people for failing to vote for this great person.

In particular MOL should name who he voted for. Since he is castigating other people's voting choice - then let's us have a look at his.

The political culture acts as a barrier to anyone trying to be different. Do you understand that?

[QUOTE=Ted111;101778656

Also I'd like Michael O'Leary to state who he gave his voting preferences to in his constituency so we can all learn from him.[/QUOTE]

Yes I like the answer to that to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

Ireland is too corrupt to govern effectively.

The system does not work but then democracy is massively flawed.

You would likely get a better government if it was randomly selected
    like jury duty.

The public sector should also have limits on terms of service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

O'Leary is a FG voter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

The entire public service? Firemen, teachers, nurses, DSP staff, Revenue auditors etc? What is your rational for that statement and how do you see your system working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

The system does not work but then democracy is massively flawed.

You would likely get a better government if it was randomly selected
    like jury duty.

Sortition is a very good idea I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

What we need is a dictatorship to be won in the Lotto followed by a mass dance off in Croke Park where the weakest and unfittest (along with any tracksuits)will be shot.

Let the survivors return the state to the glory days of ehmm, ehh, I'll get back to ye on that one.

Advertisement