Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dáil is an ‘assembly of half-wits and lunatics’ - Michael O'Leary

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Well let's apply the Ryanair model to the country: we're going to get people to do the jobs of two or three people at once, expand services, have lots of hidden costs, charge for services previously included in the price, launch pr offensives about side issues, have sh*t quality for the client, make wealthy people even wealthier.

Thanks Mr O'Leary. We've tried it and it has seriously pissed off most of the population. You are quite right about the Dail: only the type of people you describe would apply your business model to a society. Now fcuk off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Mr O’Leary said the Irish electorate needed to take responsibility for choices made at the ballot box. People needed to stop voting in the local lunatic or the village idiot if they wanted a strong, serious government - “We, when given the opportunity, chose to vote in the worst assembly of half-wits and lunatics.
    The electorate cannot complain about the lack of activity by this Government because it was what they voted for.

yeah it is what was voted for, you think we have been ignoring the good candidates or parties or something michael, they are all beyond a joke! thats what gets to me, its as if we are complaining about the sham that this country is, while ignoring the good option! Spare me!
    Well let's apply the Ryanair model to the country: we're going to get people to do the jobs of two or three people at once, expand services, have lots of hidden costs, charge for services previously included in the price, launch pr offensives about side issues, have sh*t quality for the client, make wealthy people even wealthier.

Thanks Mr O'Leary. We've tried it and it has seriously pissed off most of the population. You are quite right about the Dail: only the type of people you describe would apply your business model to a society. Now fcuk off.
    maybe we should apply his model, you get good service for a cheap price. What do we get here, ****e results and this country spends a bloody fortune every year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

While I like Ryanair for giving us cheap flights, we'd be treated like slaves on ****e money if he were in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Fleawuss wrote: »

Totally agree! Be careful what you wish for is what I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

a strong, serious government

It think likes of Micheal O'Leary wouldn't really like that though.
    (Who knows) the "strong, serious" government might not always be minded to do what Michael O'Leary wants, and I'm sure its easier to get away with murder when many of the "legislators"/regulators" are, shall we say, not so focused on their job in the Dail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

Ireland is too corrupt to govern effectively.

The public sector should also have limits on terms of service.

The entire public service? Firemen, teachers, nurses, DSP staff, Revenue auditors etc? What is your rational for that statement and how do you see your system working?
    I uses the term public service only in the context of politics.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_service
    "A civil servant or public servant is a person in the public sector employed for a government department or agency."

The entire public service? Firemen, teachers, nurses, DSP staff, Revenue auditors etc? What is your rational for that statement and how do you see your system working?
    I uses the term public service only in the context of politics.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_service
    "A civil servant or public servant is a person in the public sector employed for a government department or agency."
    In a good functioning democracy officers/representatives make the decisions (in theory)
    and they are chosen from a selection at random.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sortition
    However like the satire Yes minister, civil servants (politicians) can be limited by other civil
    service members.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes_Minister
    If you read about the true foundation of Democracy it is autonomous in this regard.
    by rotation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

The system does not work but then democracy is massively flawed.

You would likely get a better government if it was randomly selected
    like jury duty.

So much hatred and veiled racism in your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    So much hatred and veiled racism in your post.

racism? really...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

annnnnddddd Michael O Leary gets more free publicity in all the national newspapers, tv station s websites etc. because of yet another catchy soundbite

Well played sir.

He really is a one man pr machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

snubbleste wrote: »
    :confused::confused:
    Éamonn Ó Cuív

My mistake. Still, that's only two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Here he is, spouting his unreserved criticism of the goverment: http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/michael-oleary-dail-an-assembly-of-halfwits-and-lunatics-765879.html
    He also reserved strong criticism for The Irish Times and RTÉ for prioritising cyclists in Ranelagh and Drumcondra over others.

WTF??

• Site Banned Posts: 5 BlindBoyRB

Hard to disagree with anything he said in that article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Not an honest man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

He's right.

Mick Wallace who is a tax fraud who took money that was owed to his employees and who openly breaks the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Lunatic half wit refers to Government as an assembly of half wits and lunatics.

Lunatic half wit followers laud lunatic half wit leader for doing so.

All in all, a great day for lunatic half wits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

racism? really...

Yeah. Guy at all black gang bang. Hey guys I don't like black dicks in my ass. Brian logic.. "You must be racist so".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

diomed wrote: »
    Not an honest man.
    You don't get to his position as the recipient of persistent rimming and oral adulation by Newstalk radio by being an honest man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

goose2005 wrote: »
    My mistake. Still, that's only two.

Also Seán Haughey, grandson of Seán Lemass.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Paulzx wrote: »
    annnnnddddd Michael O Leary gets more free publicity in all the national newspapers, tv station s websites etc. because of yet another catchy soundbite

Well played sir.

100% this.

O'Leary spouts some anti-government claptrap every year and the media and its consumers fall over themselves to say "Oh, Michael should be running the country" despite the guy having never put forward a solution or an opinion other than a moaning soundbite. And God help us if he did, I doubt the man does democracy.

In other news, Ryanair are having their Black Friday sale all weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

He's bang on the money. A society that votes in utter clowns like Varadkar, Ahern, Kenny, Healy Rae, Boyd Barrett, Donohoe etc... deserves all that's coming to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I don't agree with his Bart-killing policy, but I do approve of his Selma-killing policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

He's right.

Mick Wallace who is a tax fraud who took money that was owed to his employees and who openly breaks the law.

Taught how to do it by the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Can anyone point out the ultra qualified candidates that our electorate are supposedly not electing? I mean candidates, not random business people you reckon can do the job.

It's all well and good to say "the current politicians are crap", but not one alternative has been named. No point proposing Michael O'Leary since he has never run for office and never will.

I think too many people are suffering from exposure to American politics, where one person can shoot to the very top in the space of one election and subsequently appoint anyone they like to important posts. This gives huge freedom to govern as you see fit, which results in hugely different policies every 4/8 years, depending on how 51% of the population voted.

Our proportional system prevents this to a degree, so there are far more varied interests represented.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Well played sir.

I'm not sure that's 100% true. He hasn't mentioned Ryanair or aviation in his interview for example.

What he is though, and why he gets air time, is one of Ireland's leading business people who was a major player in creating one of Ireland's most successful, possible our most successful ever, business.

He actually is someone worth listening to because of what he has achieved and what he still does.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Can anyone point out the ultra qualified candidates that our electorate are supposedly not electing? I mean candidates, not random business people you reckon can do the job.

It's all well and good to say "the current politicians are crap", but not one alternative has been named. No point proposing Michael O'Leary since he has never run for office and never will.

I think too many people are suffering from exposure to American politics, where one person can shoot to the very top in the space of one election and subsequently appoint anyone they like to important posts. This gives huge freedom to govern as you see fit, which results in hugely different policies every 4/8 years, depending on how 51% of the population voted.

Our proportional system prevents this to a degree, so there are far more varied interests represented.

I thought Aodhan O Riordain seemed to be a capable TD.

He lost his seat at the last election when Finian McGrath and Denise Mitchell were elected ahead of him. I'm not fully sure what they actually bring to the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I'm not sure that's 100% true. He hasn't mentioned Ryanair or aviation in his interview for example.

Michael O leary doesn't have to mention "Ryanair" to garner publicity for the airline.

He is Ryanair. There isn't one person in this country who doesn't automatically think "Ryanair" irrespective of what subject he is talking about.

If MOL is discussing the fertility and ballbag size of his prize bulls people still think of "Ryanair"

It's nearly a version of product placement. The guy is a genius at self promotion for his company.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

CatFromHue wrote: »
    He actually is someone worth listening to because of what he has achieved and what he still does.

I don't agree.

I don't think his undoubted achievements in one field means that what he says about another field should automatically be respected or considered worth listening to.

In fact, the crude way in which he speaks, the way in which he exaggerates, makes me think that he is not taking yourself seriously and not worth listening to.

The way he speaks is not the way a person speaks when they have a serious point to make and want to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭Sand

snubbleste wrote: »
    People needed to stop voting in the local lunatic or the village idiot if they wanted a strong, serious government

Why should people ever want a strong government? Strong Irish governments have always been hopelessly incompetent, arrogant and corrupt. People want weak governments that are accountable to the Dail and forced, kicking, screaming and bawling to govern in an open, transparent and vaguely evidence based manner. Thats why they vote for Independent TDs who represent them in the Dail and are abandoning the whipped party TDs which do not represent them.

Michael O leary doesn't have to mention "Ryanair" to garner publicity for the airline.

He is Ryanair. There isn't one person in this country who doesn't automatically think "Ryanair" irrespective of what subject he is talking about.

If MOL is discussing the fertility and ballbag size of his prize bulls people still think of "Ryanair"

It's nearly a version of product placement. The guy is a genius at self promotion for his company.

He was speaking at a meeting for business's in the Midlands so not doing Ryanair stuff.

Yeah he is associated with Ryanair, for good reason, but doing PR for them would mean taking about sales, Ryanair news, aviation news etc. which he clearly isn't doing here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

how do the independents represent them, unless they are in power?

Advertisement