Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

amazon fire 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mccartj5

Akrasia wrote: »
    There's a chance that the root won't work on your version of the software, if that's the case, you'll need to sideload version 5.1.2 of the OS before rooting, but that's not too hard to do and if you need help, just ask

Hey Akrasia,

Thanks for the guide, I've gotten as far as Step 3 rootking and it has failed a couple of times. I have now started the ap again and it seems to be stuck at Verify Root Status. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

mccartj5 wrote: »
    Hey Akrasia,

Thanks for the guide, I've gotten as far as Step 3 rootking and it has failed a couple of times. I have now started the ap again and it seems to be stuck at Verify Root Status. Any ideas?

When I rooted my phone, it restarted a few times and one time it said I had failed. I just pressed the root button again and it worked. If it's jammed, maybe delete the app from the tablet and restart step 3 again using the tool, and if this doesn't work, you might have to roll back your os to the version 5.1.2

Download the ADB tool in the link in my post, download the old version of the os from the link in my post (it'll be a .bin file)

You'll need to put the .bin file into the folder that contains your ADB files and it's easier to rename it to something like 'fire512' so you can run the command easier

by default this will be your c drive, so the path would be c:/ADB/

Plug your fire into your computer

Power off your tablet, then hold volume down and power up together and you'll get into a boot menu, select option 2 (volume buttons are up and down, power button is select)

Now all you gotta do go to your computer,
    Hold Shift and Right click somewhere inside the c:/adb/ folder and select 'open command window here'

In the command shell, write
    adb sideload fire512.bin
    (presuming you renamed your file to call it fire512)

This will send the older version of the official firmware to the tablet

When this is done, repeat step 3 and install rootking and keep restarting it until it reaches 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mccartj5

When I rooted my phone, it restarted a few times and one time it said I had failed. I just pressed the root button again and it worked. If it's jammed, maybe delete the app from the tablet and restart step 3 again using the tool, and if this doesn't work, you might have to roll back your os to the version 5.1.2

Download the ADB tool in the link in my post, download the old version of the os from the link in my post (it'll be a .bin file)

You'll need to put the .bin file into the folder that contains your ADB files and it's easier to rename it to something like 'fire512' so you can run the command easier

by default this will be your c drive, so the path would be c:/ADB/

Plug your fire into your computer

Power off your tablet, then hold volume down and power up together and you'll get into a boot menu, select option 2 (volume buttons are up and down, power button is select)

Now all you gotta do go to your computer,
    Hold Shift and Right click somewhere inside the c:/adb/ folder and select 'open command window here'

In the command shell, write
    (presuming you renamed your file to call it fire512)

This will send the older version of the official firmware to the tablet

When this is done, repeat step 3 and install rootking and keep restarting it until it reaches 100%

Thanks Akrasia, I carried out a factory reset, started the process again and it worked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Why root it?

It won't update automatically and you could brick it and you probably wreck your warranty (although at 30pound it hardly matters)

The Amazon App store is better than Google Play in a lot of ways - some of the free games on Underground are absolutely amazing.

I've enough of Google Play on my phone so I'm leaving my Fire as an Amazon tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Messing about with rooting it ....one thing led to another ....and err Its bricked as in dead .....Whats the odds of returning it to the store for a new one :D

• Advertisement

Asus X540L wrote: »
    Why root it?

It won't update automatically and you could brick it and you probably wreck your warranty (although at 30pound it hardly matters)

The Amazon App store is better than Google Play in a lot of ways - some of the free games on Underground are absolutely amazing.

I've enough of Google Play on my phone so I'm leaving my Fire as an Amazon tablet.

I have amazon underground with all the free apps on all my Android devices, as well as the Play Store. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Why root it?

Amazon fire OS is a big billboard. If you're happy to be hard sold non stop that's fine, otherwise you should consider reclaiming the device for the things you want to use it for, not the things amazon wants you to do

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Amazon fire OS is a big billboard. If you're happy to be hard sold non stop that's fine, otherwise you should consider reclaiming the device for the things you want to use it for, not the things amazon wants you to do

I have an Amazon Fire and there are no ads on it.

I was tempted to root but to be honest I don't think it is worth the hassle for the few apps that I regularly use.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Battery life  (on FireOS) is terrible for me. Was that the same with anybody else?

Eh ever think that a lot of the Amazon's offers are very good.

I actually like being kept informed.
    There's millions of great free underground apps and kindle books and Amazon isn't afraid to tell you, along with offering free store credit just for playing some app.
    They give free episodes of their latest tv shows too - and all for 30 pounds!

Don't bite the hand that feeds you by rooting! (and you may end up like Vego)

• Advertisement

Suckit wrote: »
    Battery life  (on FireOS) is terrible for me. Was that the same with anybody else?

Some apps like Hearthstone murder the battery. It's the same on my phone.
    Just be careful about what you use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Some apps like Hearthstone murder the battery. It's the same on my phone.
    Just be careful about what you use.

Facebook apps on my phone ate the battery so I got rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

I have an Amazon Fire and there are no ads on it.

I was tempted to root but to be honest I don't think it is worth the hassle for the few apps that I regularly use.

Even I don't see any ads on my Fire, kinda strange as it said with special ads.

But there's not many apps on Amazon store, so I'm tempted to atleast get the google app store

Even I don't see any ads on my Fire, kinda strange as it said with special ads.

But there's not many apps on Amazon store, so I'm tempted to atleast get the google app store

The app store doesn't need rooting so if you're happy with the Fire OS skin, then there's no risk at all in adding the play store

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Is there a guide to installing Google Play without rooting the device?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I've put cm 12 on 2 of these so far. I've found that kingroot works best if you have a very good wifi connection as it needs to access servers to get the best root method for your particular device. I have very fast cable broadband but my 2.4Ghz WiFi is a bit weak (the only band supported by the fire). This is not usually a problem as everything else connected to it is supports 5GHz. I found that kingroot is much more likely to succeed when I'm very close to the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

digitaldr wrote: »
    I've put cm 12 on 2 of these so far. I've found that kingroot works best if you have a very good wifi connection as it needs to access servers to get the best root method for your particular device. I have very fast cable broadband but my 2.4Ghz WiFi is a bit weak (the only band supported by the fire). This is not usually a problem as everything else connected to it is supports 5GHz. I found that kingroot is much more likely to succeed when I'm very close to the router.

Worked fine for me on 3MB internet, 2.4ghz wifi, with a brick wall between me and the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

got my fire from amazon. :-)
    i dont want to root it.
    i just want to remove ads.
    is this a simple request to amazon chat team?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,282 ✭✭✭✭ted1

got my fire from amazon. :-)
    i dont want to root it.

Have you used it yet, the ads are only on the lock screen and you don't notice them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Yes

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101806694&postcount=85

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

sugarman wrote: »
    Side loaded 3.1.2, rooted it, disabled OTA and stuck on CM12.1 this afternoon.

Much better and very happy with it.

No more ads, bloatware and a propper app store.

I'd original tried just adding the play store and removing ads but still found fireOS very sluggish with any labour intensive apps.

I have GTA 3 running on max settings using my PS3 controller no bother now.

Wait what?...GTA 3 + PS3 controller?....you have my attention! Can it be done with a ps4 controller?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭brianorourke

Should be getting one of these soon, and would like to root and remove fire OS. Is there anything I should know about, like preventing the latest Fire OS update, or is the latest version rootable? Or does a downgrade need to happen first? Many thanks by the way for the tutorials in this thread!

I followed the guide re getting the google play store and its apps but keeping the Fire OS.

I connected my google account and downloaded a few apps but I couldn't use the Chrome browser. I guess the Fire OS doesn't want one using another browser with ad revenue etc.

Does anyone know how to stop google accounts on different phones/tablets from syncing your browsing history etc.

I would be afraid that my gmail account would be vulnerable too given the amount of people around the house at xmas that could use the tablet.

The app store doesn't need rooting so if you're happy with the Fire OS skin, then there's no risk at all in adding the play store

Was under the impression device had to be rooted to install play store, thanks very much.

I followed the guide re getting the google play store and its apps but keeping the Fire OS.

I connected my google account and downloaded a few apps but I couldn't use the Chrome browser. I guess the Fire OS doesn't want one using another browser with ad revenue etc.

Does anyone know how to stop google accounts on different phones/tablets from syncing your browsing history etc.

I would be afraid that my gmail account would be vulnerable too given the amount of people around the house at xmas that could use the tablet.

You should update play store, same thing happened to me but it prompted to update play store I did and chrome is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

If you get Chrome working, you can disable syncing by logging out of your a/c within Chrome. Open Chrome, tap 3 dots in top RH corner and select settings. Tap on your A/C (if logged in) and opt to sign-out.

With regards prohibiting access, use an app like AppLock. You can get it from Play Store and use it to add a security pin/swipe to Apps.

I can't even get into the Play Store app. It just comes up as a white blank screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

I can't even get into the Play Store app. It just comes up as a white blank screen.

It might be trying to update the Play Store in the background. This can take a while and didn't give me any message that it was updating other than to say it had updated after the fact.

Did you ever get into play store? If not, try reinstall. If so, power off, power back on and try access a google app e.g. mail, calendar and leave for a while, say 10mins to give Google Paly time to update (if this is what is happening in the background).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Wait what?...GTA 3 + PS3 controller?....you have my attention! Can it be done with a ps4 controller?

It's usb otg. ps4 pad should be easier than ps3. Not sure if the tablet needs to be rooted to gain usb otg tho. something to check out.

Advertisement