Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

amazon fire 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Trying to get those handy children's cases with the handle. All the ones on eBay say things like v5 or 2015.
    Is the one I got on Amazon for 24.99 compatible with the reference v5 or 2015 anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,827 ✭✭✭✭muffler

mrcheez wrote: »
    wooh this is pretty small alright, I take it you can easily increase the font-size for my elderly recipient to use it for emails etc?
    You certainly can as my son asked me what size font I wanted when he was setting it up for me and showed me the available sizes .... the cheek of him :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Trying to get those handy children's cases with the handle. All the ones on eBay say things like v5 or 2015.
    Is the one I got on Amazon for 24.99 compatible with the reference v5 or 2015 anyone know?

yeah these are v5 / 2015 I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

8GB version is gone back up to 69.99 in Argos and magically they have them in stock again. Had one reserved at 36.99 but got no text/email to tell me when it would arrived in store as they were showing sold out. Going in store now to see if they will honor the reserved price but I'm not hopeful. Bit of sharp practice going on there in my view.

The 16GB version is currently on offer at €10 more than the 8GB version but I think it would be wasted on the recipient. Might let it slide until January if I cannot get the original one at 36:99, I'm sure they will drop in price again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,282 ✭✭✭✭ted1

bazz26 wrote: »
    8GB version is gone back up to 69.99 in Argos and magically they have them in stock again. Had one reserved at 36.99 but got no text/email to tell me when it would arrived in store as they were showing sold out. Going in store now to see if they will honor the reserved price but I'm not hopeful. Bit of sharp practice going on there in my view.

The 16GB version is currently on offer at €10 more than the 8GB version but I think it would be wasted on the recipient. Might let it slide until January if I cannot get the original one at 36:99, I'm sure they will drop in price again.

I think that there mark up remains the same as Amazon would have provided them at a discounted price to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Tablet still hasn't arrived and I ordered on black Friday.

Very disappointing but reading the guys post above about the argos pricing fr the 16gb version that I got makes me happy enough to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

reserved it 3 times in argos last week but no reservation number issued....... customer care were pretty much useless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I got two boxes today out of 6 that were listed as being in Dublin yesterday, the missing ones were all marked as being in DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE EXT
    DUBLIN 12 and the ones I got were listed as being in DUBLIN PARCEL DEPOT
    BALLYMOUNT RD
    DUBLIN 12

So are some parcels going to the wrong sorting centres or is that EXT place like an overflow place when they get busy?

ted1 wrote: »
    I think that there mark up remains the same as Amazon would have provided them at a discounted price to them.

Just back from Argos, got it at the reduced 36.95 price. Showed the store manager the reservation text/email with the dates that it was reserved at the reduced price, and that it only came into stock again at full price. In fairness there was no argument and they honored the reduced price, so happy days.

I know their website says you pay the shop price on the day you collect but there was a bit of cleverness about the way it went back up in price at the exact same time it came into stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I got two boxes today out of 6 that were listed as being in Dublin yesterday, the missing ones were all marked as being in DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE EXT
    DUBLIN 12 and the ones I got were listed as being in DUBLIN PARCEL DEPOT
    BALLYMOUNT RD
    DUBLIN 12

So are some parcels going to the wrong sorting centres or is that EXT place like an overflow place when they get busy?

Were the ones in Dublin Parcel Depot Ballymount Road bigger? Normally I find Parcels come to me from that depot but packets will come from my local sorting office.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Were the ones in Dublin Parcel Depot Ballymount Road bigger? Normally I find Parcels come to me from that depot but packets will come from my local sorting office.

There might just be something in that as the ones that arrived today were quite large boxes and the other items will be in smaller boxes. but usually when items go to this
    DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE EXT
    DUBLIN 12
    I find that they get delayed there for at least an extra day before going on to Carlow DSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

muffler wrote: »
    Anyone buying the fire 7 during the black Friday deals would have got the original recommended case for 6 or 7 euro I think. I bought mine in NI - £20 for the tablet and £4 for the case.

That's where i saw the difference in cases here, when i got one for someone last year it was 1/2 price with tablet, what turned out to be a universal case & not one for Amazon fire 7

i've bought 4 of these for my nephews/nieces and rooted them all and flashed stock nexus7 firmware using kingroot. so it's just like you bought a tablet from Google and has the play store. it was a bit of a pain alright findind information the first time so give us a reply if anybody has problems

this is THE guide i followed on how to do it:
    https://www.thepolyglotdeveloper.com/2016/05/install-better-custom-rom-amazon-kindle-fire/

there's a rake of other guides and threads on xda-developers and they all left out information, i went through a lot of them. so start on that guide
    Akrasia wrote: »
    Just posting a link to the batch file. It's awesome
    http://rootjunkysdl.com/files/?dir=Amazon%20Fire%205th%20gen/SuperTool

I've yet to do this on the tablet, but I've come across a few guides on this thread, which one is the best one?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I've yet to do this on the tablet, but I've come across a few guides on this thread, which one is the best one?

Thanks.

There are a few youtube videos you can watch, but here's basically what I had to do.

1. download the zip file AmazonFire5thGenSuperTool.zip from my link above
    2. Extract it somewhere convenient on your hard drive
    3. plug your fire into the usb port of your laptop and let windows automatically install the drivers
    4. double click the 'Auto.bat' file

it will run a quick check and it should list your device as a code number before going to a menu screen

type 1 and press enter

in this sub menu click 3 to test if the Device drivers are successfully installed on your laptop. If the tests pass, great, otherwise, you can use options 1 and 2 in the previous menu to install them

First, install the play store using option 2, if that works then you're probably gonna be smooth sailing for the rest of the process

then go ahead and root your Fire using the AmazonFire5thGenSuperTool

Open the auto.bat file and select option 6 'Root your Amazon fire 5th gen'

Select option 3 and hit enter
    this will install kingroot onto your fire NOTE, your fire will bring up an error message saying that this is dangerous software and can not be installed. You can overwrite this message by scrolling down the page and clicking continue anyway
    Once kingroot is installed, open it and you'll see an ad telling you to install some other piece of software, just close kingroot and open it again, and the option to root your device will be there.

I takes a while to run, but a percentage indicator will roll up towards 100. If the device reboots, just launch kingroot again and again until it reaches 100%

After that you go back to your computer and press any key on the command console and it will remove kingroot and install Supersu to make the root permanent. You'll need to confirm root access on the tablet every time you use it to make changes to the tablet, just click ok to the messages on the tablet.

When SuperSU is installed the device is rooted you'l be able to use the amazon fire supertool to run option 3 to block OTA updates (stops Amazon reverting back to their settings)

Option 7, to bring back the standard Android look and feel with the NOVA launcher
    and option 8 to remove the lockscreen ads

Now that your tablet is rooted, you can remove all the bloatware, but be careful to not delete any system processes

Thats it. you should be good to go.

There's a chance that the root won't work on your version of the software, if that's the case, you'll need to sideload version 5.1.2 of the OS before rooting, but that's not too hard to do and if you need help, just ask

you'll need to have the google Adb shell software on your computer
    It's really easy to install using this tool
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979
    run the tool, install adb, just download the earlier version of the OS to 5.1.2
    from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/index-amazon-fire-2015-t3210485/post62986665#post62986665

A little side (no pun intended) question for this thread. I take it that its a micro SD card thats required for more storage. Does it need the adaptor with it and can anyone recommend one at a decent price? Cheers :)

Thanks Akrazia, for going to all that bother in explaining that, will help a lot.

Muffler: here's a few MicroSD cards on Argos
    as some are cheaper than when i got one!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

A little side (no pun intended) question for this thread. I take it that its a micro SD card thats required for more storage. Does it need the adaptor with it and can anyone recommend one at a decent price? Cheers :)

It's a micro sd, you don't need any adaptor. If your sd card doesn't fit, it's not a micro sd

Thanks guys. I assume there's no difference in the micro sd cards particularly where the description refers to their use in a mobile phone like this one They still fit and work okay in the Fire 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,282 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Thanks guys. I assume there's no difference in the micro sd cards particularly where the description refers to their use in a mobile phone like this one They still fit and work okay in the Fire 7?
    That doesn't show the speed , should be class 10

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B010NE3QHQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480888483&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=kindle+fire+sd+card&dpPl=1&dpID=41jO4SsqKhL&ref=plSrch

ted1 wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

I had a look at the one I linked to on the Argos UK site and in the Q & A's I found that it was only class 4 and hence the price I suppose.

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    There are a few youtube videos you can watch, but here's basically what I had to do.

1. download the zip file AmazonFire5thGenSuperTool.zip from my link above
    2. Extract it somewhere convenient on your hard drive
    3. plug your fire into the usb port of your laptop and let windows automatically install the drivers

What happens when windows doesn't recognise the tablet on My Computer, i've tried different ports, as it's connected directly thru the USB port & have tried different one's as well

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

What happens when windows doesn't recognise the tablet on My Computer, i've tried different ports, as it's connected directly thru the USB port & have tried different one's as well

follow the steps below, especially the menu1 ADB driver install,
    this is what gives you the allow access.
    Device manager needs to install a driver for it to see it properly

ok that was incredibly easy , took all of 5 mins!
    http://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-...n-fire-tablet/

I did have to do menu 1 first before menu 2, but the instructions are on screen , incredibly easy
    :menu_1 ADB Driver Install (installs the which gives you the important allow access prompt)

below is what it tells you to do

start devmgmt.msc
    echo[*] Device Manager should open up wait for it.
    echo[*] Find Amazon Fire and right click on it.
    echo[*] Select Properties then Update Driver
    echo[*] "Browse My Computer For Driver Software"
    echo[*] "Let Me Pick from a List of Device Drivers on my Computer
    echo[*] choose Have Disk
    echo[*] Browse to the usb_drivers fold that is in this tool
    echo[*] then click Next NOTE drivers are not signed this is fine.
    echo[*] once installed ADB should find the Amazon Fire Tablet.

then menu_2 Install Google Play store and remove ads from lock screen

echo First you must turn on ADB DEBUGGING in your Amazon fire 5th gen settings
    echo go to device options then click on serial number 7 times to enable
    echo developer options then in developer options turn on Enable adb option.
    echo also make sure your drivers are installed

NOTE for newbies. You do NOT have to type anything, just press a key, the script is automatic once you click on the downloaded 1-Install-Play-Store.bat icon. follow the instructions and you will be fine

follow the steps below, especially the menu1 ADB driver install,
    this is what gives you the allow access.
    Device manager needs to install a driver for it to see it properly

ok that was incredibly easy , took all of 5 mins!
    http://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-...n-fire-tablet/
    After enabling ADB access, connect your Fire Tablet to your computer with the included USB cable. Windows should detect it properly and download the necessary drivers.

Unfortunately, it didn't detect it, i've even tried to restart both laptop & tablet, but to no avail?

but below it tells me,
    Proceed to the next step–if you have any issues, you can try installing Google’s USB drivers manually as described in step three of this guide.
    Step One: Set Up the Android SDK

Head to the Android SDK download page and scroll down to “SDK Tools Only

But can't find SDK Tools Only, as i don't want to d/load anything else that's there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Got my tablet and installed stock nexus Rom with a guide a few pages back. Fairly straightforward but I got a little confused thinking I had to go into boot menu myself but just leave the tablet turned on as normal.

For its price I'm really impressed, I wish it was bigger in size but it will do me fine wheb backpacking, ill get a large sd card and fill it with movies.

I turned mine off and left it on charge and it doesn't seem to have charged. Can't it charge when turned off?

I seen lands of kindle apps before I changed to the nexus Rom, can u get them back? I wouldn't mind reading some books in some kind of power saving kindle mode

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Unfortunately, it didn't detect it, i've even tried to restart both laptop & tablet, but to no avail?

but below it tells me,

But can't find SDK Tools Only, as i don't want to d/load anything else that's there?

Are you sure you enabled the debugger access?
    Try a different cable and /or test the cable on your phone
    try a windows 7 pc
    go start run,
    devmgmt.msc
    enter

Are you sure you enabled the debugger access?
    Try a different cable and /or test the cable on your phone
    try a windows 7 pc
    go start run,
    devmgmt.msc
    enter

Yeah, it was the (new) cable supplied with Tablet, changed it with phone cable, I had already d/loaded the AmazonFire5thGenSuperTool & extracted it, but can't find the auto.bat file

So had more of a selection here visit the Root Junky website

But further on, it wasn't as easy as i thought, but figured that, as im new to tablets:rolleyes:

echo
    [*] "Browse My Computer For Driver Software"

But this is where i got stuck above, in where i knew where it was & gave the location of the usbfolder, but it kept telling me, it cant be found every time:( even where i gave the correct path on the C:drive

echo
    [*] "Let Me Pick from a List of Device Drivers on my Computer

I tried here, couldn't see the tablet name, but only the name of the phone cable for Samsung phone, so tried that & while all the unsigned notifications were bugging me, not to do the ADB, it almost put me off from doing it:(
    echo
    [*] choose Have Disk

I had no idea what that was above, as i thought you needed a disk, but went through the options a few times!

echo
    [*] Browse to the usb_drivers fold that is in this tool
    Enough said about that one :rolleyes:

After a while, finally got Google Play also installed.

Now to root it, that's ongoing, as i have the kingroot installed & it's telling me on the console to open it on the tablet, but can't find it, searched in the Library & done the Search Apps too!

It says on the console: pkg:/data/local/tmp/Kingroot.apk,

So i checked in Docs & local storage & find the same folder mrw that's in the Amazon...Tool on C:drive, after that is anyone's guess what to do there?

Have had enough excitment tonite, back tomoro, as i came back to it a few times, as i thought it was easy to do:o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Is there a limit on the MicroSD size you can use? I assume we format cards using NTFS rather than FAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

You'll be pretty safe with any SD card that you use. Amazon says it supports up to 200GB external storage.
    The tablet will format the stick itself if needed. Just plug it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Received mine today, even though initially it was marked to be received on 16/17th. All my colleagues who missed now want to get one :D

• Advertisement

Yep, bought one of these last week for a relative as a Xmas present, pretty impressive tablet/ereader considering the low price. My only regret is that I didn't buy one for myself too but hopefully they will drop back down in price for the January sales.

Advertisement