Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

amazon fire 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

bazz26 wrote: »
    8gb version down now to 44.99 in Argos, 16gb version is 59.99 and get the black folio case half price @ 5.49 if you buy it with the tablet.

Sorry, generally don't like clogging up BA with this stuff, but reserved 2x8gb in Dundalk for a colleague who now doesn't need them.
    In case they run out, 2 more will return to stock on Thursday evening, or pm me for the code.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,872 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Not sure of the details or what benefits, if any, will be available to Fire 7 owners (and others) but Amazon Prime is available to ROI customers now. Just got the tail end of that in business part of the lunch time news on RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭fdevine

muffler wrote: »
    Not sure of the details or what benefits, if any, will be available to Fire 7 owners (and others) but Amazon Prime is available to ROI customers now. Just got the tail end of that in business part of the lunch time news on RTE

https://www.primevideo.com/

1 week free, 6 months at €2.99, then €5.99 per month unless cancelled

Content appears to be a little limited judging by some comments in a BA thread about it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Right guys.

Need to get these things sorted before the big man Saturday night.

Do I go with georgiecasey's or Akrasia's version of things?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,644 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Soarer wrote: »
    Right guys.

Need to get these things sorted before the big man Saturday night.

Do I go with georgiecasey's or Akrasia's version of things?

I'm in the same situation (have to finally setup the tablet before 25th)... TLDR for this thread... so maybe a link to the specific posts with all the best info would be handy pls :D

• Advertisement

This is georgie's one.
    i've bought 4 of these for my nephews/nieces and rooted them all and flashed stock nexus7 firmware using kingroot. so it's just like you bought a tablet from Google and has the play store. it was a bit of a pain alright findind information the first time so give us a reply if anybody has problems

this is THE guide i followed on how to do it:
    https://www.thepolyglotdeveloper.com/2016/05/install-better-custom-rom-amazon-kindle-fire/

there's a rake of other guides and threads on xda-developers and they all left out information, i went through a lot of them. so start on that guide

And this is Akrasia's one.

Akrasia wrote: »
    There are a few youtube videos you can watch, but here's basically what I had to do.

1. download the zip file AmazonFire5thGenSuperTool.zip from my link above
    2. Extract it somewhere convenient on your hard drive
    3. plug your fire into the usb port of your laptop and let windows automatically install the drivers
    4. double click the 'Auto.bat' file

it will run a quick check and it should list your device as a code number before going to a menu screen

type 1 and press enter

in this sub menu click 3 to test if the Device drivers are successfully installed on your laptop. If the tests pass, great, otherwise, you can use options 1 and 2 in the previous menu to install them

First, install the play store using option 2, if that works then you're probably gonna be smooth sailing for the rest of the process

then go ahead and root your Fire using the AmazonFire5thGenSuperTool

Open the auto.bat file and select option 6 'Root your Amazon fire 5th gen'

Select option 3 and hit enter
    this will install kingroot onto your fire NOTE, your fire will bring up an error message saying that this is dangerous software and can not be installed. You can overwrite this message by scrolling down the page and clicking continue anyway
    Once kingroot is installed, open it and you'll see an ad telling you to install some other piece of software, just close kingroot and open it again, and the option to root your device will be there.

I takes a while to run, but a percentage indicator will roll up towards 100. If the device reboots, just launch kingroot again and again until it reaches 100%

After that you go back to your computer and press any key on the command console and it will remove kingroot and install Supersu to make the root permanent. You'll need to confirm root access on the tablet every time you use it to make changes to the tablet, just click ok to the messages on the tablet.

When SuperSU is installed the device is rooted you'l be able to use the amazon fire supertool to run option 3 to block OTA updates (stops Amazon reverting back to their settings)

Option 7, to bring back the standard Android look and feel with the NOVA launcher
    and option 8 to remove the lockscreen ads

Now that your tablet is rooted, you can remove all the bloatware, but be careful to not delete any system processes

Thats it. you should be good to go.

There's a chance that the root won't work on your version of the software, if that's the case, you'll need to sideload version 5.1.2 of the OS before rooting, but that's not too hard to do and if you need help, just ask

you'll need to have the google Adb shell software on your computer
    It's really easy to install using this tool
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979
    run the tool, install adb, just download the earlier version of the OS to 5.1.2
    from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/index-amazon-fire-2015-t3210485/post62986665#post62986665

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

mrcheez wrote: »
    I'm in the same situation (have to finally setup the tablet before 25th)... TLDR for this thread... so maybe a link to the specific posts with all the best info would be handy pls :D

lol i'm the same myself, been hassled all week and finally getting around to rooting 4 tablets from Santa today!

my link and Akrasia's instructions are pretty much the same until the end, when he says install the nova launcher where as i prefer flashing the complete Nexus stock ROM with flashfire to wipe the slate clean of any amazon crap.

lol i'm the same myself, been hassled all week and finally getting around to rooting 4 tablets from Santa today!

my link and Akrasia's instructions are pretty much the same until the end, when he says install the nova launcher where as i prefer flashing the complete Nexus stock ROM with flashfire to wipe the slate clean of any amazon crap.

OK so

Akrasia = keep Amazon stuff alongside Google stuff

Yours = just have Google stuff

?

OK so

?

If that's the correct synopsis, I think I'd prefer the Google only stuff.

Unless there's a reason I should keep the Amazon stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

OK so

?

yes, akrasia rooted his to remove ads, i think. and kept the Amazon OS.

i'm pretty sure you don't need root to install nova launcher.

technically you don't need root to install the Google Play Store but it requires Google Play Services which you've to install as well and i was getting loads of trouble installing that. so i said fúck it, i'd just root and flash the full Google Nexus ROM with Play Store as standard.

you can't use the stock Android Youtube app without Google Play services for example. my nephews have to have Youtube!

• Advertisement

Yours it so I guess georgie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I'm thinking of going back to original firmware for the alexa / echo integration.
    Haven't got my echo dot yet so I will wait and have a little play around first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

for basic use is it ok to leave as is?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭ted1

for basic use is it ok to leave as is?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Hang on a second, if I just give this to the small fella out of the box, he won't be able to watch youtube videos?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

Hang on a second, if I just give this to the small fella out of the box, he won't be able to watch youtube videos?

You''ll have to install the Play Store first. There was a post on how to do this earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,942 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

He can still watch youtube, just not with the official app. There's an app on amazon which basically just links to the YouTube mobile site but works OK, and he'll have no bother.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I'm probably going to go with the "lite" approach and keep Amazon, but also install Google Play Store

Better to be safe in case I want to integrate with Echo Dot, or Fire TV etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I'm probably going to go with the "lite" approach and keep Amazon, but also install Google Play Store

Better to be safe in case I want to integrate with Echo Dot, or Fire TV etc

I will do this because the attraction for me is the kid mode that you can turn on on the device.

Dang, I've got version 5.1.3 .. you have to downgrade to 5.1.2 before doing any of the snazzy Google Play installs right?

To find out what version you have:

- Swipe down on your tablet from the top of the screen.
    - Tap Settings.
    - Tap Device Options.
    - "Device Model" will tell you what generation tablet you are using and tapping System Updates will tell you what Operating System you are using.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Is it worth getting even as a backup if you already have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Looking to give this to 4 yr old niece to watch videos etc. Should I leave as is or go down the tinkering route ? I'm waiting on it to be delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Bob Z wrote: »
    Is it worth getting even as a backup if you already have one?

It's back to full price now I think so I wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Keith186 wrote: »
    It's back to full price now I think so I wouldn't bother.

Bollox

Dang, I've got version 5.1.3 .. you have to downgrade to 5.1.2 before doing any of the snazzy Google Play installs right?

sorry just to clarify... I need to downgrade to 5.1.2 to do this right?

I downloaded the Firmware-Downgrade-to-Fire-OS-5.1.2-Supertool.zip but don't want to run it unless I need to.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

I got two of these for a 5 and a 7 year old. I was going to root and install a custom nexus rom but after playing around with them I have installed the play store, You Tube Kids, some free games from the amazon underground appstore and set up the Amazon parental controls. The parental controls are excellent. This will do nicely for them given their ages.

writhen wrote: »
    I got two of these for a 5 and a 7 year old. I was going to root and install a custom nexus rom but after playing around with them I have installed the play store, You Tube Kids, some free games from the amazon underground appstore and set up the Amazon parental controls. The parental controls are excellent. This will do nicely for them given their ages.

so you didn't need to downgrade to 5.1.2? OK grand, will give it another shot this eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Got one of these on the Black Friday sale, installed Cyanogenmod on it and the Google playstore, fantastic little device, thought it would be slow but is very nippy in use. Going to be one of the presents for the kiddies on xmas day.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Supercell wrote: »
    Got one of these on the Black Friday sale, installed Cyanogenmod on it and the Google playstore, fantastic little device, thought it would be slow but is very nippy in use. Going to be one of the presents for the kiddies on xmas day.

Might take the plunge if it drops again so..
    One of those things I never thought I had a need for, but if it's a bargain... :)

Advertisement