Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

amazon fire 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

now online wrote: »
    I got two for Christmas presents, can I ask how do you put stock android on them and how do you put Google play on it? Thanks

I thought Sgt Pepper already posted about how to install Google Play not but a few posts back?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

mrcheez wrote: »
    I thought Sgt Pepper already posted about how to install Google Play not but a few posts back?

Missed that in the excitement of getting the tablets this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

http://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/development/amazon-fire-5th-gen-supertool-root-t3272695

The above is the very first thing you need to do with your tablet when you get it. I'm hopeful most of these tablets won't be updated to the latest firmware yet so using this will allow you to block OTA updates, install google play store, root, remove ads (some versions), install flashfire.

Once you have flashfire installed, you can install CM12.1

Be sure to read those threads carefully. Only you will be responsible if you brick (break) your device.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭seanin4711

d31b0y wrote: »
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/development/amazon-fire-5th-gen-supertool-root-t3272695

The above is the very first thing you need to do with your tablet when you get it. I'm hopefully most of these tablets won't be updated to the latest firmware yet so using this will allow you to block OTA updates, install google play store, root, remove ads (some versions), install flashfire.

Be sure to read those threads carefully. Only you will be responsible if you brick (break) your device.

i will be doing this asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

d31b0y wrote: »

The above is the very first thing you need to do with your tablet when you get it. I'm hopeful most of these tablets won't be updated to the latest firmware yet so using this will allow you to block OTA updates, install google play store, root, remove ads (some versions), install flashfire.

What is the advantage of doing this if I have google play and Kodi on the device already?

• Advertisement

It depends what you want to use your device for I suppose. If you are happy with how it's setup now, then there is no advantage for you.
    If you want to run certain apps that require root permissions, then there is your reason for root.
    If you don't want to have FireOS, then there is your reason for CM12.1
    Each to their own I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭damemcd

Ds31boy, thanks for expert advicw

I'm no expert. Please, please, please make sure you fully understand what you are doing and the risks involved before doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Sirtoyou

got mine tonight, wow, the amazon appstore is bad. will be putting the play store on asap, very poor range of apps compared to play

I've just updated to the new Fire 5.3.2 and used these instructions for loading google play and worked perfectly. http://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/how-to-install-google-play-store-fire-t3486603
    Plenty available now at checkargos now, as i had to wait to order it again

Are there many apps in Kodi?

All things kodi related explained as simply as possible here https://seo-michael.co.uk/top-10-add-ons/

General rule is if you don't know what rooting is, or don't know what the benefits are, then don't worry about it. There are very few root apps that the average user would need to bother with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

now online wrote: »
    Missed that in the excitement of getting the tablets this morning!

ok that was incredibly easy , took all of 5 mins!
    http://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

I did have to do menu 1 first before menu 2, but the instructions are on screen , incredibly easy
    :menu_1 ADB Driver Install (installs the which gives you the important allow access prompt)

below is what it tells you to do

start devmgmt.msc
    echo [*] Device Manager should open up wait for it.
    echo [*] Find Amazon Fire and right click on it.
    echo [*] Select Properties then Update Driver
    echo [*] "Browse My Computer For Driver Software"
    echo [*] "Let Me Pick from a List of Device Drivers on my Computer
    echo [*] choose Have Disk
    echo [*] Browse to the usb_drivers fold that is in this tool
    echo [*] then click Next NOTE drivers are not signed this is fine.
    echo [*] once installed ADB should find the Amazon Fire Tablet.

then menu_2 Install Google Play store and remove ads from lock screen

echo First you must turn on ADB DEBUGGING in your Amazon fire 5th gen settings
    echo go to device options then click on serial number 7 times to enable
    echo developer options then in developer options turn on Enable adb option.
    echo also make sure your drivers are installed

NOTE for newbies. You do NOT have to type anything, just press a key, the script is automatic once you click on the downloaded 1-Install-Play-Store.bat icon. follow the instructions and you will be fine

good luck and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Ordered my Kindle Fire 7 Friday and it arrived yesterday, normally super saver with amazon is insanely slow.

Asus X540L wrote: »
    Ordered my Kindle Fire 7 Friday and it arrived yesterday, normally super saver with amazon is insanely slow.

Delivery to Ireland or Parcel Motel/Wizard ?

mrcheez wrote: »
    Delivery to Ireland or Parcel Motel/Wizard ?

Just normal Amazon free delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Keith186

Ordered on 25th with a case for a different tablet and it still hasn't been despatched yet. Did you order anything else with it?

Keith186 wrote: »
    Ordered on 25th with a case for a different tablet and it still hasn't been despatched yet. Did you order anything else with it?

Just a cheap Xbox one game that cost a fiver.
    I was thinking that would actually slow the order but it didn't

Just a cheap Xbox one game that cost a fiver.
    I was thinking that would actually slow the order but it didn't

I ordered on 25th.. got dispatch notice today for arrival on Dec 1st... Asus must have been lucky with the particular warehouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Just reading a few more reviews..

Mark it as a gift or else it'll arrive to you with all your amazon details pre-installed... wouldn't be too good if someone else got sent your one in error and started shopping with your account!

Does anyone actually know what generation these are?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

5th I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Keith186

Yeah they're 5th edition.

Don't think I saw this posted in the thread anywhere. There's a product recall over the power adapter causing an electric shock.

Power adapters marked FABK7B are dodgy so watch out!

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/whats-on/whats-on-news/amazon-issues-product-recall-over-12237651

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

What FireOS version do these ship with. Is it just a matter of turning off wifi to prevent updating to the latest version?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yeah they're 5th edition.

Don't think I saw this posted in the thread anywhere. There's a product recall over the power adapter causing an electric shock.

Power adapters marked FABK7B are dodgy so watch out!

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/whats-on/whats-on-news/amazon-issues-product-recall-over-12237651
    That was early this year, they won't ship new ones with the old chargers

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

digitaldr wrote: »
    What FireOS version do these ship with. Is it just a matter of turning off wifi to prevent updating to the latest version?

It comes with FireOS 5 which is based on Android Lollipop.

Thanks but I was looking for the specific FireOS version number eg 5.3.1

Thanks but I was looking for the specific FireOS version number eg 5.3.1

It comes with 5.3.2 ready to update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Anyone pick up a cover for them?

Sirtoyou wrote: »
    It comes with 5.3.2 ready to update.
    Thanks. So I guess I'll have to follow the guide here to roll back to 5.3.1 to make it rootable in preparation for flashing a new ROM.

Thanks. So I guess I'll have to follow the guide here to roll back to 5.3.1 to make it rootable in preparation for flashing a new ROM.

As I said I updated to 5.3.2 after opening and turning it on. I did this for three I purchased so I presume it 5.3.1 is on them when you open the box. It doesn't auto update when you turn it on.

Thanks - sorry misunderstood your previous post.

• Advertisement

Mine has been delivered with 5.1.3

Advertisement