Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Why is Dylan Moran not an option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

“Charging people” - by doing open mics, free shows where there might be 2 in the crowd or 20 while not getting paid. It’s not a matter of getting up on stage at the 3Arena and being hilarious.
    Comedians are asked to perform at the 3Arena, they don't just break in after selling tickets for weeks and start their act without anyone noticing.

If you were an aspiring comedian and you were asked to perform for money, you would jump at the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

He's retired, or was retired. He works in Centra now. Makes hot chicken fillet baguettes now, he's sh*te at that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MMXX

I voted PJ Gallagher, by mistake. I assigned his name to Colin Murphy's face, for some reason. I'm sorry Colin. I'm sure lots of people find you funny, but I can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Comedians are asked to perform at the 3Arena, they don't just break in after selling tickets for weeks and start their act without anyone noticing.

If you were an aspiring comedian and you were asked to perform for money, you would jump at the chance.

You asked how they work their butts off to get recognised. I explained how.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

MMXX wrote: »
    I voted PJ Gallagher, by mistake. I assigned his name to Colin Murphy's face, for some reason. I'm sorry Colin. I'm sure lots of people find you funny, but I can't.

Blizzard of Odd was great though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

You asked how they work their butts off to get recognised. I explained how.
    So comedians are just supposed to work for free in perpetuity until you, you personally, determine that they're good enough to perform for money? Even if managers, agents, club owners etc believe they are not only already good enough to earn money doing it but go so far as to offer them money for a performance. What a load of absolute ****e, get back up the yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

He's retired, or was retired. He works in Centra now. Makes hot chicken fillet baguettes now, he's sh*te at that too.

Was that meant to be funny? I’d skip the old comedy if I were you, pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,576 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

He’s in the other thread about the “funniest” Irish comedians.

Where he should be.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Because unlike most of those in this thread, he is genuinely one of the funniest people on the planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

there's a reason why I'm not up on stage plying my trade in comedy...same as why you try so hard on this platform.

you and emmet big fan of his? by the way do you two follow each other about on all threads, whats the craic with it "pal"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    So comedians are just supposed to work for free in perpetuity until you, you personally, determine that they're good enough to perform for money? Even if managers, agents, club owners etc believe they are not only already good enough to earn money doing it but go so far as to offer them money for a performance. What a load of absolute ****e, get back up the yard.

Quote: RabbleRouser2k
    Well it's fine to be 'the funny one' in a group of friends-but when you're charging people for tickets to go see your standup, and claiming to be a comedian, and are painfully unfunny.... that's just an insult to genuinely funny comics who work their butts off to perfect their material.

“Please explain how they can work their “butts” off to perfect their material without first claiming to be a comedian and asking people to come see them?“

You asked for an explanation on “how they can work their butts off to perfect their material”. I explained this by saying they play open mics and free sets to between 2-20 people. I never said they had to work for free in perpetuity.

Perhaps read an established comedians book and see how hard it is to get to the point of getting paying gigs. I’d recommend Becoming Johnny Vegas or Kevin Bridges books. Kevin Harts new documentary on Netflix touches on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

It was funny.

Maybe you should stick to pretending that you think Dylan Moran is funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Quote: RabbleRouser2k
    Well it's fine to be 'the funny one' in a group of friends-but when you're charging people for tickets to go see your standup, and claiming to be a comedian, and are painfully unfunny.... that's just an insult to genuinely funny comics who work their butts off to perfect their material.

“Please explain how they can work their “butts” off to perfect their material without first claiming to be a comedian and asking people to come see them?“

You asked for an explanation on “how they can work their butts off to perfect their material”. I explained this by saying they play open mics and free sets to between 2-20 people. I never said they had to work for free in perpetuity.

Perhaps read an established comedians book and see how hard it is to get to the point of getting paying gigs. I’d recommend Becoming Johnny Vegas or Kevin Bridges books. Kevin Harts new documentary on Netflix touches on it too.

Sure thing-many comics work open mic nights, clubs, basically places that allow them try and test out their material. They are 'everywhere', not just paid clubs, or paid gigs.
    Jerry Seinfeld has a documentary where you see him working out a 'bit', that's genuinely irritating the hell out of him as he's practicing it and trying to hone it and make it funny. Often rewriting or reworking it.

Bill Burr has spoken about it too-you have to be EVERYWHERE, not just paid stuff. And you're reworking, and reworking your stuff until it's funny. You can't do material 'in front of your buddies' and then expect it to be good. It's not honest feedback... unless you have genuinely honest friends.

But the thing about 'calling themselves a comedian' to get people to come see em.... that's a loaded question. That's like saying 'when can you say you're an artist?' OR when can you say 'you're a musician'?
    Is it monetary, or is it when people enjoy it?

It's impossible to put a name on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Any else besides Aiden in the bishop family to do a show about?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

Oh she's woeful-woeful-she disables comments and ratings on her youtube channel.
    But when she can't disable comments or ratings...massive thumbs down.

Nails on a chalkboard remixed by wailing cats would be more pleasant than her 'stand-up'...

She is an embarrassment to the comedian profession

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

Kevin McGaghern. Just awful. Nearly as bad as Alison Spittle, though maybe he's not. She's as funny as cancer.

Terrible wasters stealing a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Kevin McGaghern. Just awful. Nearly as bad as Alison Spittle, though maybe he's not. She's as funny as cancer.

Terrible wasters stealing a living.

The only hardy buck that played the game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

She is an embarrassment to the comedian profession

"I'm one of those awful immigrants".

She's an awful something all right.

In that sketch does Rorie shout in a rural accent and pretend to be an ignorant bastard?

That's the other guy. Beardy gobshyte who does his videos sitting in a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Alison Spittle, horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

That's the other guy. Beardy gobshyte who does his videos sitting in a car.
    Farmer Dan and Cathleen?
    That's Farmer Michael I mean. He's a jackeen but Cathleen is a fine thing.

she's doing Cypress Avenue in cork in May....just a warning for anyone down in cork

Not now I reckon. Every cloud.

Not now I reckon. Every cloud.

She's on the RTE website every week...

Talking about keeping Ireland 'entertained'...

Her idea of being entertaining is 'being sassy' on twitter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

She's on the RTE website every week...

Talking about keeping Ireland 'entertained'...

Her idea of being entertaining is 'being sassy' on twitter.

This spittle?

This spittle?

Is there any other Spittle?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Is there any other Spittle?

Wonder how her fund me a coffee campaign is doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Alison Spittle by far - she is not funny, not even slightly. In fact I’d find it hard to imagine even her friends would give a token anxious giggle to the ****e she comes out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Alison Spittle by far - she is not funny, not even slightly. In fact I’d find it hard to imagine even her friends would give a token anxious giggle to the ****e she comes out with.

RTE are scraping the absolute arsé of the barrel with her. She was never funny not even slightly. Her programme on RTE 2 went down like a lead balloon, was it called nowhere fast ?

• Advertisement

RTE are scraping the absolute arsé of the barrel with her. She was never funny not even slightly. Her programme on RTE 2 went down like a lead balloon, was it called nowhere fast ?

Yeah. I think RTE learned (the hard way) that twitter followers does not equal an audience.
    Spittle had followers-but no audience. And why would she, the show was absolute s**t.

The first episode had aired, and she was talking about a second series. No bloody way that was happening.

She was RTe's 'second' attempt at finding a female comic that was funny-after Katherine Lynch imploded. Her 'comedy' show The Centre managed to anger the lgbt community, leading to protests outside of RTE.

Once you anger the 'woke' crowd-you're dead. They won't even let you apologise.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/03/25/ireland-rte-fire-transphobic-new-sitcom/

Advertisement