Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

RTE are scraping the absolute arsé of the barrel with her. She was never funny not even slightly. Her programme on RTE 2 went down like a lead balloon, was it called nowhere fast ?

And they repeated it a few weeks back, and will be sure to repeat it again, and again, and again.......

Then they stuck her on that ‘celebrity’ holiday type show... and was about as funny as prostate cancer on it.

Some people are naturally funny, but with some, you can clearly see its put on, like they’re trying too hard to be the funny/goofy character. The giveaway is when they’re always the 1st to laugh at their own ‘jokes’

• Registered Users Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

And they repeated it a few weeks back, and will be sure to repeat it again, and again, and again.......

Then they stuck her on that ‘celebrity’ holiday type show... and was about as funny as prostate cancer on it.

Some people are naturally funny, but with some, you can clearly see its put on, like they’re trying too hard to be the funny/goofy character. The giveaway is when they’re always the 1st to laugh at their own ‘jokes’

I'd say they're trying to make their money back from it-Bachelor's Walk will be repeated too. RTE will be killing two birds with one stone-repeats and Nostalgia. (RTE loves their nostalgia).

As for Spittle. she's got mental health problems (which she's spoken of, had a breakdown in the past) and sometimes, with mental illness, you get a dark and cynical outlook on life. Which is depressing as hell, but often a goldmine for comedy. (Not saying mental illness is a gift, just noting the comedy's a by-product). Plenty of comedians have suffered mental illness.
    The difference is, they use their comedy as Catharsis... and in many respects, are more open.

For me, Spittle is like someone who escaped from a mental institution. Possibly because they needed the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I'd say they're trying to make their money back from it-Bachelor's Walk will be repeated too. RTE will be killing two birds with one stone-repeats and Nostalgia. (RTE loves their nostalgia).

As for Spittle. she's got mental health problems (which she's spoken of, had a breakdown in the past) and sometimes, with mental illness, you get a dark and cynical outlook on life. Which is depressing as hell, but often a goldmine for comedy. (Not saying mental illness is a gift, just noting the comedy's a by-product). Plenty of comedians have suffered mental illness.
    The difference is, they use their comedy as Catharsis... and in many respects, are more open.

For me, Spittle is like someone who escaped from a mental institution. Possibly because they needed the room.

She escaped from a mental hospital because they needed the room? So they let her out? But she still escaped? What are you talking about?

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    She escaped from a mental hospital because they needed the room? So they let her out? But she still escaped? What are you talking about?

They let her out, but she tells everyone she escaped because ‘it’s mad craic all together’

They let her out, but she tells everyone she escaped because ‘it’s mad craic all together’

Is that something she’s said? You don’t have to answer, I know it isn’t.

The biggest failed comedians around are the funnymen in here who try to blast the people they don’t like with some lame one-liner and then immediately fall at the first hurdle.

I maintain that the majority of the misogynistic critics in here are people who are deluded enough to think they’re actually funny themselves (they’re not, nobody is funny on this website), but lack the bottle to give making comedy a go themselves.

“Alison Spittle is like someone who escaped a mental hospital after they let her out ha ha ha.” Hey you know what? YOU should be a comedian, not Alison Spittle. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Get ****ing real.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

The biggest failed comedians around are the funnymen in here who try to blast the people they don’t like with some lame one-liner and then immediately fall at the first hurdle.

I maintain that the majority of the misogynistic critics in here are people who are deluded enough to think they’re actually funny themselves (they’re not, nobody is funny on this website), but lack the bottle to give making comedy a go themselves.

“Alison Spittle is like someone who escaped a mental hospital after they let her out ha ha ha.” Hey you know what? YOU should be a comedian, not Alison Spittle. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Get ****ing real.

Just no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Do you want a tissue to dry your eyes you complete ****ing fanny??

I don’t speak for anyone here but myself, and I am certainly not a comedian, however if one claims to be a comedian, and is funded by the tax payer, then they are fair game for criticism. It’s my opinion (and clearly the majority opinion of the voters in this threads poll) that Spittle is not funny. Pointing this out doesn’t make me a failed comedian, or misogynistic (I also find Jason Byrne to be painfully unfunny so does this make me misandrist?). That fact that Spittle is female has little relevance to the topic on hand, yet you seem to bring this up against anyone who criticises her, “ you slate her so you must hate women” - would you ever cop onto yourself.

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Do you want a tissue to dry your eyes you complete ****ing fanny??

The only wet fanny around here is your auld one’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

Is that comment any funnier then the ones you were deriding here earlier? Alison Spittle wouldn't even use it in a gig.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Good one Alison lolonot

I don’t speak for anyone here but myself, and I am certainly not a comedian, however if one claims to be a comedian, and is funded by the tax payer, then they are fair game for criticism. It’s my opinion (and clearly the majority opinion of the voters in this threads poll) that Spittle is not funny. Pointing this out doesn’t make me a failed comedian, or misogynistic (I also find Jason Byrne to be painfully unfunny so does this make me misandrist?). That face that Spittle is female has little relevance to the topic on hand, yet you seem to bring this up against anyone who criticises her, “ you slate her so you must hate women” - would you ever cop onto yourself.

“Funded by the tax payer,” is such a pathetic excuse for hurling abuse at her, saying she’s a mentaller for example. She’s not writing herself massive cheques anyway, the “taxpayer” needs to be angry at whoever commissioned her programme.

Alison Spittle is just an artist trying to ply her trade, she’s not diddling the accounts in a children’s hospital.

DrSerious3 wrote: »
    Is that comment any funnier then the ones you were deriding here earlier? Alison Spittle wouldn't even use it in a gig.

I’m not trying to be funny. I say that with utter seriousness.

“Funded by the tax payer,” is such a pathetic excuse for hurling abuse at her, saying she’s a mentaller for example. She’s not writing herself massive cheques anyway, the “taxpayer” needs to be angry at whoever commissioned her programme.

Alison Spittle is just an artist trying to ply her trade, she’s not diddling the accounts in a children’s hospital.

She is an entertainer. Her entire career is standing in front of people and attempting to entertain them. Hey success depends on making people laugh. It's entirely reasonable to criticize under the circumstances

She's said it herself-about having mental illness.

Nobody's saying it about her, she said it herself.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/alison-spittle-i-just-tried-stand-up-like-you-would-try-abseiling-1.2592097

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Yep, bang on there Woke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Alison Spittle isn’t my taste in humour, in the same way I don’t understand why anyone likes Mrs Brown’s Boys. But both are popular. As they say, humour is subjective.

Whether people will admit it here or not, she’d get a lot less abuse if she was size 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭cal naughton

KiKi III wrote: »
    Alison Spittle isn’t my taste in humour, in the same way I don’t understand why anyone likes Mrs Brown’s Boys. But both are popular. As they say, humour is subjective.

Whether people will admit it here or not, she’d get a lot less abuse if she was size 8.

You are the first person bring her weight into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You are the first person bring her weight into it!

they're not. this thread has been going for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Or if she were a man.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Or if she were a man.

Or an incel stoner.

Name any Irish male comedian who's been using the Covid-19 to raise their profile like Spittle has.

Or any Irish male comedian (of the last ten years) who's been given as much high profile chances as Spittle.

(I'm talking Republic of Telly, A comedy show pilot on the RTE player, multiple appearances on chat shows and other TV shows, her own scripted TV show, as well as appearances on a holiday show-all of which were paid for by the license fee).

I'd have included Jason Byrne, but he's outside the last ten years.

Name any Irish male comedian who's been using the Covid-19 to raise their profile like Spittle has.

Des Bishop.

Des Bishop.

Bishop was born in London, grew up in New York. He didn't come to Ireland until he was a teen.

Bishop was born in London, grew up in New York. He didn't come to Ireland until he was a teen.

He’s irish american but anyway, besides him there are loads. I used to do stand up as a hobby so I follow a lot of comedians and almost all of them have lost almost all their income as they can’t gig - so they’re trying to use the time to boost their online profiles.

I don’t see anything wrong with it tbh, we need the entertainment and they want to entertain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Are you threatening to rape his auld one?

He’s irish american but anyway, besides him there are loads. I used to do stand up as a hobby so I follow a lot of comedians and almost all of them have lost almost all their income as they can’t gig - so they’re trying to use the time to boost their online profiles.

I don’t see anything wrong with it tbh, we need the entertainment and they want to entertain.

'Wanting to entertain' versus being entertaining are too separate things.

Plus do you honestly think they're getting their profile out there for free? Far from it.

'Wanting to entertain' versus being entertaining are too separate things.

Plus do you honestly think they're getting their profile out there for free? Far from it.

You’re not obliged to follow any of them online? If you don’t find them entertaining, unfollow?

And yes, the vast majority of them get no money out of their social media.

Joanne McNally gets a paid partnership every now and then and she’s about the only one. Some of them who have bigger podcasts might make a small amount for ads on that.

Overall, most put it out there for free.

And as I said, without being able to gig they have all lost most of their income so maybe give them a break?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,069 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Alison Spittle is just an artist

Gold, off to the funniest comedians thread with you woke!

• Advertisement

You’re not obliged to follow any of them online? If you don’t find them entertaining, unfollow?

And yes, the vast majority of them get no money out of their social media.

Joanne McNally gets a paid partnership every now and then and she’s about the only one. Some of them who have bigger podcasts might make a small amount for ads on that.

Overall, most put it out there for free.

And as I said, without being able to gig they have all lost most of their income so maybe give them a break?

I'm not following ANY of them online-they're on the RTE website. That's what I mentioned. I go to RTE's site to check on news, and get stuck with Spittle (or other's) faces on the flipping site. And it's been every few days with Spittle.

I wasn't discussing Social Media-I was discussing the RTE site, paid for out of the license fee.

As for their not being able to gig-that's unfortunate. But many people are unable to go to work, or even carry out work. They're still getting the constant 'pay your license fee' messages from RTE-a portion of which is going to these people.

Joanne McAnally and Des Bishop got free holidays for High Road/Low Road. Spittle got one for some show from a year or so ago.
    All on the RTE dime.

Advertisement