Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers protesting the lodging of refugees in a local authority house(read post 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

rawn wrote: »
    Is that at all relevant? Are people being asked to personally house refugees? I don't remember receiving a sign up sheet through my door?

Of several thousand who previously offered to house refugee families none have actually houses even a single refugee, yes it is relevant when you cite the 1200 people involved in the survey.

Imagine it as another form of survey where 100% of several thousand who were previously in favour of refugees and prepared to actually put their money where their mouth is and do something about it now just can't be bothered!

Irish people are always being whipped into a frenzy be the media but when the sh1tstorm settles a bit and people start to think about what they pledged they would do they realise that the situation was not as important or as urgent as they were fooled into believing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 198 ✭✭NoFreeGaffs

The majority of 1,200 people who were asked. Not the same as the majority of Ireland as a whole.

Do you understand how polling works?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

The majority of 1,200 people who were asked. Not the same as the majority of Ireland as a whole.

The majority of people in Ireland would like to see our own problems sorted out, not the import of more problems from far away lands.

conorhal wrote: »
    This statement laughably reminds me of, old skool lefty and film critic, Pauline Kale's shocked response upon hearing of Nixion winning the presidency, she moaned (without a hint of irony) 'I don't understand how he could have won, I literally don't know a single person who voted for him!'
    Well, like those shocked at the Trumpocalypse, perhaps Pauline and yourself should get out more. The Irish people are not in favor of this mass resettlement.
    This poll would suggest the MAJORITY are very reluctant to accept migrants.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/poll-majority-against-taking-in-fleeing-migrants-1.2217564

Migrants.
    Not Syrian refugees.
    Thankfully most people have some shred of humanity when it comes to Syrians fleeing their war torn country.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Migrants.
    Not Syrian refugees.
    Thankfully most people have some shred of humanity when it comes to Syrians fleeing their war torn country.
    I'd prefer if our taxes used for foreign aid were used more efficiently by spending the money on the Syrians in the camps where the money that's spent on one family here in Ireland will look after dozens of families in the camps!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Do you understand how polling works?

Only when they like the answer haha... sounds like the "Democrats against democracy" doesn't it!

There'll be another thread next week and all the usual suspects will be telling us the crowd in calais, the med, the hirsute and arthritic unaccompanied minors are not THE danger, they are IN danger. But not in this thread. Any logical contortion is allowed to justify spending millions to bring a small portion over here to do "whatever the hell they want for as long as they want to do it here" , rather than contributing to helping way more people closer to their homeland.

Migrants.
    Not Syrian refugees.

Citations needed.

The majority don't want to take in any through the EU quota scheme. Syrians included!
    Asked if Ireland should offer to resettle migrants as part of an EU response to the problem in the Mediterranean 52 per cent of voters said Ireland should not offer while 48 per cent said we should.

Fine Gael supporters were strongest in support of offering to settle migrants with 61 per cent of them in favour while Sinn Féin voters were most strongly opposed with more than 70 per cent against the move.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I'd prefer if our taxes used for foreign aid were used more efficiently by spending the money on the Syrians in the camps where the money that's spent on one family here in Ireland will look after dozens of families in the camps!
    Indeed.
    If you wanted to rebuild a country, youd surely have a shadow transition government staged near the borders and a load of educated and useful talented people ready to flood back in and rebuild once the shooting and bombing stopped.

Should we assume that anybody that comes this far has zero intention of ever returning? Should we be encouraging syrias best and brightest surgeons, doctors, engineers and architects to leave and never return? ( by all accounts the toilet cleaners and car washers were all left behind as cannon fodder, harsh or what?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

You do understand what a poll is and how they work right?

1,200 is a more then good enough sized sample to ensure the poll was representative. Jesus, it was even published and commissioned by The Times, who you know must have been loathe to publish the result because like yourself they must probably believed they'd get a different result. Well, they didn't, which is probably why nobody in the media has bothered to ask again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

conorhal wrote: »
    You do understand what a poll is and how they work right?

1,200 is a more then good enough sized sample to ensure the poll was representative. Jesus, it was even published and commissioned by The Times, who you know must have been loathe to publish the result because like yourself they must probably believed they'd get a different result. Well, they didn't, which is probably why nobody in the media has bothered to ask again.

I just believe that 1200 people do not speak for the (what is it?) 4.5million in Ireland? The poll represents 1200 random citizens opinions, not Ireland's as a whole.

Foggy-lad - where are you getting that info from re: people who have previously offered to house refugees who are now refusing to? Genuine question

• Advertisement

I just believe that 1200 people do not speak for the (what is it?) 4.5million in Ireland? The poll represents 1200 random citizens opinions, not Ireland's as a whole.

Foggy-lad - where are you getting that info from re: people who have previously offered to house refugees who are now refusing to? Genuine question
    How many of those who pledged to house Syrian refugees have actually taken in even one single Syrian refugee??

The answer is 0, Zero, Nil, None at all!

Show us where some Syrian refugees have been taken in by Irish people in their own homes.

So you don't understand how polling works.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I don't know anything about the offer to house refugees but I know someone who told me she offered a spare room to the Red Cross for a refugee. I don't think her place has been assessed yet and I wonder if the standards are higher than people realise. There isn't a lot of awareness about the whole thing.

So you don't understand how polling works.

I understand perfectly. They're an estimate, a guess at best.

I don't know anything about the offer to house refugees but I know someone who told me she offered a spare room to the Red Cross for a refugee. I don't think her place has been assessed yet and I wonder if the standards are higher than people realise. There isn't a lot of awareness about the whole thing.

It's the first I've heard of it tbh. Fair play to her for offering.

It's the first I've heard of it tbh. Fair play to her for offering.

I think it was a kind thing to do. I just wonder why people are only now finding it in their hearts to open their doors to people in need. If I did the same as her, I'd have nowhere for anyone else who needs emergency accommodation.
    I might be over cynical but I think a few people are in for a shock when their box room is turned down by officials for being below standard.

That's if there's even more than a handful of people who were genuine in the offer to take in a refugee. And if their landlords see it the same way.

I understand perfectly. They're an estimate, a guess at best.

No, they're not a guess at best. You haven't a clue what you're on about.

No, they're not a guess at best. You haven't a clue what you're on about.

Maybe not, I'm not a statistician. But I know I wouldn't take such as small number of people out of the population, ask their opinion and then take that as a representative of what the entire country thinks.

Maybe not, I'm not a statistician. But I know I wouldn't take such as small number of people out of the population, ask their opinion and then take that as a representative of what the entire country thinks.

That's how polling works. Using a sample of 1,000, the chances are 95% of coming within +/- 3% of a hypothetical survey conducted among all members of the population. This means that 95% of all samples that could possibly be drawn will yield an outcome within 3 percentage points of the true percentage among the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Migrants.
    Not Syrian refugees.

Have you got the polls to back that up? Ha.

Are you suggesting anyone that questions or utters any rationality in the face of this topic must be an inhuman monster. Maybe they're in league with the devil too.

Ok you dislike rational discourse. How about you give up your shred of humanity without a shred of sacrifice. Give up your house to the government for a Syrian family. You go without a home. Then Mr homeless. Then you talk about your humanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Citations needed.

The majority don't want to take in any through the EU quota scheme. Syrians included!

He/she is correct. This thread is about refugees and travellers, not economic migrants. The difference has been pointed out to you numerous times on your previous banned accounts.

Here is a poll from this year compared to the one you were quoting from May of last year.

This poll would suggest the MAJORITY are very happy to accept migrants refugees.

http://www.communicorp.ie/newstalkred-poll-reveals-adults-refugees-garda-vetted-entering-ireland/
    The majority of the population (67%) support the government’s commitment to take 4,000 refugees.

dav3 wrote: »
    He/she is correct. This thread is about refugees and travellers, not economic migrants. The difference has been pointed out to you numerous times on your previous banned accounts.

Here is a poll from this year compared to the one you were quoting from May of last year.

This poll would suggest the MAJORITY are very happy to accept migrants refugees.

http://www.communicorp.ie/newstalkred-poll-reveals-adults-refugees-garda-vetted-entering-ireland/

Next you'll be telling us the Mediterranean taxi service should be stopped and the unaccompanied minors are full of aged chancers!

Seeing as you mention vetting there as an important part of the criteria for people being happy about inviting them here...... any update on the vetting of all these doctors and engineers with no paper trail at all? "Yes, I am very good ... doctor, yes, doctor"
    Does it involve tea leaves or dowsing rods or anything?

dav3 wrote: »

Of course the thread is going to wander off from the Syrian family at the centre of the story and people will talk about all of the refugees and economic migrants who came to Europe and who are coming to Europe in future.

If there was honesty & transparency around the procedures for vetting and importing people then these threads would be a lot shorter (if the information was satisfactory, that is)
    The vetting issue is still important in either case.

Next you'll be telling us the Mediterranean taxi service should be stopped and the unaccompanied minors are full of aged chancers!

Seeing as you mention vetting there as an important part of the criteria for people being happy about inviting them here...... any update on the vetting of all these doctors and engineers with no paper trail at all? "Yes, I am very good ... doctor, yes, doctor"
    Does it involve tea leaves or dowsing rods or anything?

That's my elbow Doctor, once more, the Ankle bone's connected to the Leg Bone!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

foggy_lad wrote: »
    That's my elbow Doctor, once more, the Ankle bone's connected to the Leg Bone!

As a doctor with limited English sent my dad home with a sprained ankle - later diagnosed as a broken metatarsal, this could be terrifying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

As a doctor with limited English sent my dad home with a sprained ankle - later diagnosed as a broken metatarsal, this could be terrifying!!

I'm curious, what precisely does the doctor's language skills have to do with a mis-diagnosis?

If we're just going anecdotal, I've a dozen misdiagnosis stories about my local doctor, who has no problems speaking English, it being his first language and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Strange with all of the liberal media pushing for these poor refugees to be brought into Ireland we don't see too many big stories about how much these doctors and engineers are helping other countries.

I'm curious, what precisely does the doctor's language skills have to do with a mis-diagnosis?

If we're just going anecdotal, I've a dozen misdiagnosis stories about my local doctor, who has no problems speaking English, it being his first language and all.

Because my dad was explaining to him that the pain was in "the front of his foot" and this moron kept saying "ah ankle".

"No, front of foot, by toes"

"Okay okay ankle. Likely sprain"

I despair.

I'd say if you're trying to communicate your symptoms in detail and you don't feel like you're being understood,and then trying to get important information about your diagnosis is the other problem

Plenty of awful doctors around as it is but it is really important to be able to communicate clearly with one.

• Advertisement

Strange with all of the liberal media pushing for these poor refugees to be brought into Ireland we don't see too many big stories about how much these doctors and engineers are helping other countries.

Well the lad who tried to blow up the Stade de France was an engineer so the skills are being utilised......

Advertisement