Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers protesting the lodging of refugees in a local authority house(read post 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

There are travellers living next door to me. It would be quieter if ISIS were in there making a bomb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

There are travellers living next door to me. It would be quieter if ISIS were in there making a bomb.

I'd say so. I wouldn't imagine ISIS, or anyone for that matter, would want to draw attention to the house they're making it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

bubblypop wrote: »
    Not At all, the IRA had prescribed targets, but it didn't stop them killing plenty of innocents.
    ISIS may have a different type of target,.
    Terrorists are terrorists.

Are you on with countries banning Irish Catholics, because they could be terrorists?
    It's the same argument

How long was it before one of the golden tenets of Whataboutery was dragged in.

I presume the next reference will be to child abusing catholic clergy. :rolleyes:
    Coventry just said 4000, and when their families come to join them the figure will be 10 to 12 thousand.
    So, not 20000.

Yeah what is another 10-12,000 added to social services, HSE, etc.

Twist, downplay, challenge the figures, then challenge and downplay some more when the facts don't suit your argument.
    Rinse and repeat.

conorhal wrote: »
    In all fairness, he could be on to something, I'd happily swap Dav for a Syrian Christian. That lot really do have no future in the Middle East, we could give them his future and he can go virtue signal his moral superiority to Daesh and explain inclusiveness to them.

Can we have a poll on that ?
    Hell we could make a reality TV show about it and have them parachute into Northern Iraq.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭DredFX

My longevity for peace and quiet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

jmayo wrote: »
    Hell we could make a reality TV show about it and have them parachute into Northern Iraq.

I'm a virtue signaller get me out of here!

• Advertisement

How long was it before one of the golden tenets of Whataboutery was dragged in.

I presume the next reference will be to child abusing catholic clergy. :rolleyes:

Yeah what is another 10-12,000 added to social services, HSE, etc.

Twist, downplay, challenge the figures, then challenge and downplay some more when the facts don't suit your argument.
    Rinse and repeat.

I don't know what you're going on about.
    Terrorists are terrorists, I don't care what they believe.
    I don't know what the Catholic church abusing anyone has to do with anything?
    I personally don't care if it's 4000 or 20000 refugees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I dunno how the syrians will ever fix their country if we spend millions bringing all their doctors and engineers here, rather than helping many more for the same cost by keeping them in safe conditions near their home country so they can return and rebuild it as soon as possible.

Our selfishness is condemning the crowd left behind to a pretty crappy future tbh. But where's the virtue signalling fun in making sure that they get a civilised homeland up and running ASAP, that won't fill rooms in Geldoffs gaffs!

I dunno how the syrians will ever fix their country if we spend millions bringing all their doctors and engineers here, rather than helping many more for the same cost by keeping them in safe conditions near their home country so they can return and rebuild it as soon as possible.

Our selfishness is condemning the crowd left behind to a pretty crappy future tbh. But where's the virtue signalling fun in making sure that they get a civilised homeland up and running ASAP, that won't fill rooms in Geldoffs gaffs!

Oh, I didn't realise these people were being forced to come here & never allowed to leave.

Oh, I didn't realise these people were being forced to come here & never allowed to leave.

But why spend all the money on looking after them here, rather than making the money go further in a temporary solution at a safe distance from the conflict?

Why spend all the money braindraining the Syria people rather than letting these highly educated people do good work amongst their own people?

Are you saying you wouldn't allow them to have kids here? Make friends? Get jobs? Put down down roots? Or would you just make sure the experience was bad enough that they wouldn't stay here getting money for nithing rather than returning to repair their country? Sounds pretty rough man, shame on you!

But why spend all the money on looking after them here, rather than making the money go further in a temporary solution at a safe distance from the conflict?

Why spend all the money braindraining the Syria people rather than letting these highly educated people do good work amongst their own people?

Are you saying you wouldn't allow them to have kids here? Make friends? Get jobs? Put down down roots? Or would you just make sure the experience was bad enough that they wouldn't stay here getting money for nithing rather than returning to repair their country? Sounds pretty rough man, shame on you!

I don't know what point you're trying to make, but I wouldn't make them do anything.
    They can go home
    They can stay here
    They can go and live in some other country
    They can do whatever they want to do.
    How's that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I don't know what you're going on about.
    Terrorists are terrorists, I don't care what they believe.

You see this is narrowminded black/white limited view of things that gets us in all sorts of bother.
    It is similar to the way US/Britain viewed Iraqis before they invaded the place, when they just saw them all as Arabs or all as muslim.

Just like everything else there are various types of terrorists.
    Some you can negotiate and reason with to some extent since they have definite goals and some just want to see you dead end of story.
    Comparing PIRA or anyone else in Northern Ireland to ISIS or even al qaeda is like comparing spuds and figs.
    I don't know what the Catholic church abusing anyone has to do with anything?

Oh don't worry it usually appears when anyone condemns other religions.

You might personally care if it affected you, but like lots of the proponents of migrants/refugees/aid/etc you might not have to compete with the new arrivals for services like health, education and housing.

Shure one of the greatest proponents of Europe helping others is none other than Peter Sutherland, who for some reason I can't ever imagine having to wait in line for anything behind all these new arrivals. :rolleyes:
    I don't know what point you're trying to make, but I wouldn't make them do anything.
    They can go home
    They can stay here
    How's that?

Lets hope doing what they want doesn't include killing pregnant women with a machete like that 21 year old Syrian refugee in Germany.

Or what that matter that our Garda Rapid Response and Rangers doesn't have to arrest Syrians for plotting terror attacks as the GSG9 unit had to do in Germany in September.

The problem is letting some of these Syrians do whatever they want is kinda dangerous.

Some of us see that, some of us chose to be blissfully ignorant.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

You see this is narrowminded black/white limited view of things that gets us in all sorts of bother.
    It is similar to the way US/Britain viewed Iraqis before they invaded the place, when they just saw them all as Arabs or all as muslim.

Just like everything else there are various types of terrorists.
    Some you can negotiate and reason with to some extent since they have definite goals and some just want to see you dead end of story.
    Comparing PIRA or anyone else in Northern Ireland to ISIS or even al qaeda is like comparing spuds and figs.

Oh don't worry it usually appears when anyone condemns other religions.

You might personally care if it affected you, but like lots of the proponents of migrants/refugees/aid/etc you might not have to compete with the new arrivals for services like health, education and housing.

Shure one of the greatest proponents of Europe helping others is none other than Peter Sutherland, who for some reason I can't ever imagine having to wait in line for anything behind all these new arrivals. :rolleyes:

Lets hope doing what they want doesn't include killing pregnant women with a machete like that 21 year old Syrian refugee in Germany.

Or what that matter that our Garda Rapid Response and Rangers doesn't have to arrest Syrians for plotting terror attacks as the GSG9 unit had to do in Germany in September.

The problem is letting some of these Syrians do whatever they want is kinda dangerous.

As a garda, Bubblypop's life isn't likely to be impacted.

If we can't afford to help Irish homeless people how are we going to manage to support thousands of migrants if this turns out to be true

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/ireland-could-be-facing-even-bigger-recession-martin-warns-1.2873534

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

This thread is crazy.

People who everyone is prejudiced against are prejudiced against other people.

What a world.

Glenster wrote: »
    This thread is crazy.

People who everyone is prejudiced against are prejudiced against other people.

What a world.

There's no evidence that the travellers are prejudiced against the Syrians, their objection is based on the Syrians having bypassed the council waiting list, which the travellers have been on for a long time, and the lack of transparency around the way it was done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 198 ✭✭NoFreeGaffs

The Danes are exercising their opt out and refusing to take in their next batch. Time to do likewise.

http://www.epochtimes.de/politik/europa/daenemark-stoppt-zuwanderung-un-programm-zur-aufnahme-von-500-fluechtlingen-ausgesetzt-a1983472.html

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

The Danes are exercising their opt out and refusing to take in their next batch. Time to do likewise.

http://www.epochtimes.de/politik/europa/daenemark-stoppt-zuwanderung-un-programm-zur-aufnahme-von-500-fluechtlingen-ausgesetzt-a1983472.html

can't be done. how many more times do i have to explain this to you. we no longer have an opt out.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

There's no such thing as the Garda Rapid Response, and the Rangers are army, who don't arrest anyone.
    I have no problem with people being arrested that commit crime. No matter who they are or where they are from.

As a garda, Bubblypop's life isn't likely to be impacted.

If we can't afford to help Irish homeless people how are we going to manage to support thousands of migrants if this turns out to be true

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/ireland-could-be-facing-even-bigger-recession-martin-warns-1.2873534

As pointed out to you previously, everyone in my life don't work in AGS.
    Lots of family & friends work/ don't work, none of them have any problem with Syrian refugees coming over here, so don't tar everyone in this country with your brush

can't be done. how many more times do i have to explain this to you. we no longer have an opt out.

We do. That didn't change.

Lots of family & friends work/ don't work, none of them have any problem with Syrian refugees coming over here, so don't tar everyone in this country with your brush

What brush is that?

Since you clearly are making assumptions why not explain what they are?

Also, you didn't point that out to me as I haven't discussed anything other than the vetting procedures with you. You are probably confusing me with another poster and probably the ''brush'' you accuse me of tarring people with is theirs as well. I hope you are more discerning in your work!

And I think it's you who's really tarring people. Nobody's ''concerned with syrian refugees coming'', they're concerned with radicalised islamists, and people who will need major long term support as well as housing and healthcare. Only a simpleton would be incapable of telling the difference.

• Advertisement

One more time it seems, as a non Schengen member we have no obligation to be part of the resettlement program. Like the eejits desperate for a pat on the head from the EU that our government are however, we volunteered to take some anyway. You must be thinking of water charges...

They can go home
    They can stay here
    How's that?

So even if these marvellously educated and talented people were needed back home to rebuild a stable and moderate country.... you'd pay them and house to sit on their holes here if that was their choice and you had the power to make it happen?

As I say... I can't see Syria rising from the ashes all to quickly or all to moderately if this virtue signalling is deemed to be more important.

So even if these marvellously educated and talented people were needed back home to rebuild a stable and moderate country.... you'd pay them and house to sit on their holes here if that was their choice and you had the power to make it happen?

As I say... I can't see Syria rising from the ashes all to quickly or all to moderately if this virtue signalling is deemed to be more important.

Refuge is meant to be temporary but it is being used for permanent settlement. Hence why so many have an issue with it.

I'd appreciate if you'd point out where I have tarred anybody, from anywhere, with the same brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'd appreciate if you'd point out where I have tarred anybody, from anywhere, with the same brush.

It's an official state secret, like the refugee vetting process. But you definitely did it. It's just not her place to tell you where 😂😂😂😂

It's an official state secret, like the refugee vetting process. But you definitely did it. It's just not her place to tell you where 😂😂😂😂

God forbid people should be accountable for what they accuse people of. Especially when they're doing it themself!

This statement laughably reminds me of, old skool lefty and film critic, Pauline Kale's shocked response upon hearing of Nixion winning the presidency, she moaned (without a hint of irony) 'I don't understand how he could have won, I literally don't know a single person who voted for him!'
    Well, like those shocked at the Trumpocalypse, perhaps Pauline and yourself should get out more. The Irish people are not in favor of this mass resettlement.
    This poll would suggest the MAJORITY are very reluctant to accept migrants.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/poll-majority-against-taking-in-fleeing-migrants-1.2217564

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

conorhal wrote: »
    This statement laughably reminds me of, old skool lefty and film critic, Pauline Kale's shocked response upon hearing of Nixion winning the presidency, she moaned (without a hint of irony) 'I don't understand how he could have won, I literally don't know a single person who voted for him!'
    Well, like those shocked at the Trumpocalypse, perhaps Pauline and yourself should get out more. The Irish people are not in favor of this mass resettlement.
    This poll would suggest the MAJORITY are very reluctant to accept migrants.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/poll-majority-against-taking-in-fleeing-migrants-1.2217564

The majority of 1,200 people who were asked. Not the same as the majority of Ireland as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

rawn wrote: »
    The majority of 1,200 people who were asked. Not the same as the majority of Ireland as a whole.

How many of those who pledged to take in Syrian refugee families have actually taken in a single refugee??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

foggy_lad wrote: »
    How many of those who pledged to take in Syrian refugee families have actually taken in a single refugee??

Is that at all relevant? Are people being asked to personally house refugees? I don't remember receiving a sign up sheet through my door?

Advertisement