Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2016 Open and Interdepartmental Assistant Principal in Civil Service competition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 clubzero

Hope to be offered Dublin shortly, dreading the commute !
    Are PAS open to requests for placement near to Heuston ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

clubzero wrote: »

Ask them is there anything in that area.

Approx what number were you on Panel?

In the 40s

• Registered Users Posts: 26,325 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Haha.I think that might be a tad specific and unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ZolaGood

noodler wrote: »

I wouldn't say it's totally unreasonable to ask. If PAS are making a batch of appointments and there is one in a dept near Hueston they may consider you. I also know of departments that have a number of locations and a couple of vacancies trying to accommodate new staff in the more favourable location e.g. Justice revenue ...if you don't ask you don't get!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Revenue have offices nearby
    Think Defence still has some presence in Parkgate street

PAS, Education, Social Protection and Housing are on Northside and handy enough to Heuston

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Red Wolf

Riskymove wrote: »
    Revenue have offices nearby
    Think Defence still has some presence in Parkgate street

PAS, Education, Social Protection and Housing are on Northside and handy enough to Heuston

Also the Insolvency Service which is just around a 10 min walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,325 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yeah, some smaller offices are in the area.

Assuming they don't need specific staff or have their eyes on others on the panel.

Regarding the north side suggestion, well on that logic I'd argue nearly anywhere in the city centre is nearby. I don't think it's what the poster meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CalvinBalti

JD1763 wrote: »
    You can just ring PAS and ask to speak to someone about the AP competition and your current place on the panel.

Thanks. I called and spoke to a very helpful guy who told me that I will be contacted in the next two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Regarding the north side suggestion, well on that logic I'd argue nearly anywhere in the city centre is nearby. I don't think it's what the poster meant.

If the poster is concerned about commute time via Heuston I just figured such places would be better than Kildare Street/Stephen's green

you would save 15/20 minutes each way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Mama lion

JD1763 wrote: »
    You can just ring PAS and ask to speak to someone about the AP competition and your current place on the panel.

Thanks.  I called and spoke to a very helpful guy who told me that I will be contacted in the next two weeks.
    Do you mind me asking where you are on the panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CalvinBalti

Mama lion wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking where you are on the panel?

I'm in the mid40s on the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 24 shibbyj

Dolly1978 wrote: »
    Anyone hear of any regional movement? I am waiting on Westmeath or Galway.

I'm batch 2 and I was assigned Kildare.

shibbyj wrote: »
    I'm batch 2 and I was assigned Kildare.

Congrats!

Approx where on Panel were you?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 shibbyj

Congrats!

Approx where on Panel were you?

Thanks! In first 10 on batch 2 and first 5 for regional.

I received my assignment in Dublin also.
    46 on open panel.
    Have to commend Dave in clearance section in PAS, extremely helpful and professional in his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Link3n

I received my assignment in Dublin also.
    46 on open panel.
    Have to commend Dave in clearance section in PAS, extremely helpful and professional in his job.

Did you get a Dept near heuston station?

Got my own Dept in City Centre so happier still

• Registered Users Posts: 29 NoNamesWork

Is it expected that all on Batch 2 for Dublin will get an offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 harrupminute

Is it expected that all on Batch 2 for Dublin will get an offer?

I would assume so. I am quite a bit down batch 2 myself so also playing a waiting game. It would seem illogical for PAS to waste resources interviewing a 3rd batch if they didnt expect, at a minimum, to use up all of batch 2 and some of batch 3 (possibly all). Remember the panel runs to Oct next year so a full 12 months to go, plenty opps then. Also remember many on panel may not have Dublin down at all or may have Dublin down but it wont be number 1 preference so may not accept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Newfoundland88

Interview for batch 3 next week. For all those successfully placed, is the interview as intense as promised? Is it more competency based or wider CS policy based??? Have mountains to read on policy and feeling overwhelmed😵😵

• Registered Users Posts: 29 NoNamesWork

Mine was almost entirely competency based with just one general question to list the major policy issues facing the current government.

Interview for batch 3 next week. For all those successfully placed, is the interview as intense as promised? Is it more competency based or wider CS policy based??? Have mountains to read on policy and feeling overwhelmed😵😵

Mine was very much based on my competency examples with a fair bit of time focussed on my own office as it's regularly in the media and I think the board were just interested in it! Happy days for me obviously:)

Oh and good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SpinningDizzy

Do you get an email from PAS to say you have gone for clearance? I'm in the 50s and am on tenterhooks at the moment... Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Only message I got was my new assignment think clearance will only be in touch if more documentation is required if you're going to a dept with higher clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sodacake1968

I'm quite high for cork and limerick. Can anybody shed any light on how the panels there are moving

Do you get an email from PAS to say you have gone for clearance? I'm in the 50s and am on tenterhooks at the moment... Thanks

As far as I know the 'Clearance' procedure was initiated a couple of months ago for all on the Panel.

If you're in the 50's you'll be hearing very very soon I'd imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 EL23

Anyone had their interview this week? Interested to know what approach the panel are taking. Have heard that some panels go for a very explicit competency based approach (some actually announcing which competency the questions are on before they ask the questions), and allow you to talk through the example, while others go for a more rapid fire, force you into answering very narrow questions and interrupting constantly, so never allowing you really to use the competency examples you have prepared... just interested to know which way they are going this week.

Also seems like some people are getting very detailed policy/current affairs questions and some aren't even being asked a policy question at all...

Makes you wonder as to the fairness of the process, but hey, just have to get the head down and do our best I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 CorkBhoy

Interviewed this week - bit of a mix between the form and fairly open policy type questions. My reaction on leaving was that it was quite straightforward. If I was naive I'd say I flew it but I'd be concerned that I was too low-key or summit. Time will tell; anyone know when the interviews for this batch are done?

Advertisement