Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leader Of The (Mid) Pack

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Fair play, great report too.

Re earlier, Lusk 20 mile? Do we have that many out here? Might get a few extra installed just so there's enough ground to cover. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Fair play, great report too.

Re earlier, Lusk 20 mile? Do we have that many out here? Might get a few extra installed just so there's enough ground to cover. :p

Another East of Ireland event - there's a marathon, HM and 10k in there too, so I'm guessing they'll concoct a 10k or so loop around the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Well done J! A hard-fought and hard-won PB - those are the best ones ;)
    I'm half considering the Pfizer 5k myself so I just might see you there if you end up going.

Mon 19/8 - 3.35 miles@9:28/mi

Porterstown, outer and inner laps. Plus running to and from the house. Just getting the legs moving again.

Tue 20/8 - Rest

Wed 21/8 - Club session, Porterstown Park

This was quite difficult actually. Even shuffling around the hedge loops, I was feeling well out of shape, and the subsequent reps around the grass track showed it up even more. 4/6/4/6/4 mins (2 min rec) this time, with the wind blowing me all over the shop. Quite simply, I couldn't get any momentum going. Still heavy legged from Sunday, I was just glad to complete all the reps :rolleyes:

Thu 22/8 - 7.08 miles@8:41/mi

Funny how before I was thinking 7 miles might be too short! If anything, it was too far tonight. The old Budweiser Clydesdale was back with a bang. Happy to get home after a run where almost right from the start I felt like I was dragging myself around.

Fri 23/8 - Rest

Sat 24/8 - No running

Late night Friday, and volunteering at the FD10 in the morning. I was roasting just doing my bit at the finish, so fair play to all who took part this morning in what were extremely demanding conditions. I was handing out bags of those Tayto nacho jobbies, wearing a sandy cap and purple Inishbofin t-shirt. Thought I might have spotted more of you, but not to be! Interestingly enough, I did see a few Kilcock 10 t-shirts passing through. Two 10 mile races in six days would have been way too rich for my blood, of that I've no doubt.

The plan was that I would run a 15 mile LSR after all of this, as I wouldn't have time for an LSR on Sunday. Well, following over 3 hours of keeping myself busy, I was in no mood to put my body through 2 hours plus shuffling around in that heat. So I didn't. Possibly for the best in the long run. Time will tell.

Sun 25/8 - Rest

I had planned to do a few miles before heading out for the best part of today, but a slightly later than planned night out (family birthday) meant that one fell through. With my knee having been niggling me before and since Kilcock, I decided I could live with another day off. Our trip took us initially out to Dún Laoghaire, where the Ironman triathletes were in action, so I spent a few minutes at the harbour watching this. Didn't spot Fletch, although apparently he was running in the general vicinity while we were there. I did however manage to get myself a Teddy's ice cream with Oreo sprinkles. There was little chance of getting any training done after that :pac:

Next

Wednesday brings up the BHAA Pfizer 5k, which has moved from Newbridge to Clondalkin this year. Not a goal race by any stretch of the imagination, but I'll get out there and give it a good shot anyway.

Since the last update, I've also added myself to the list for the GT5K. Freebie through work, so my conscience is clear, in the sense that I'm not giving Grant Thornton any money :D

This Saturday, I plan to finish my LSR (last one before Ratoath) with Porterstown parkrun again. Decks are being cleared for Sunday - I'm hoping to have another trophy celebration that afternoon :) Thanks for reading. J.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Those Tayto nacho yokes were lovely! Fair play for volunteering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Great race report J, well done again that was great running :)

Ah dam I took one of those packets from a guy on the left handside I am sure it was not you though I was recovered enough at that point to recognise you I hope :D

I was looking out for you on the course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Haha you were the bearer of much needed nice goodys :D i was the akward anne that asked for the green bag even tho the bloke had red & yellow in his hands so apologies if it was you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

Well done on the recent PBs. Wish I'd read that last race report before Saturday - it might have just provided some inspiration to dig in when things got tough during the FD.

Those Tayto nacho yokes were lovely! Fair play for volunteering.

Nice one P, glad you liked them! Didn't bother with them myself. Pity we ran out of them later on, due to some people taking "more than one" bag :rolleyes:
    Baby75 wrote: »
    Great race report J, well done again that was great running :)

Ah dam I took one of those packets from a guy on the left handside I am sure it was not you though I was recovered enough at that point to recognise you I hope :D

I was looking out for you on the course :)

I was on the right :D unfortunately I didn't know until the morning what I'd be doing. I'll probably be out and about (i.e. supporting) on the HM course :)
    Haha you were the bearer of much needed nice goodys :D i was the akward anne that asked for the green bag even tho the bloke had red & yellow in his hands so apologies if it was you :D

Thanks E, I think I was the awkward one - trying to divvy out bags at speed, especially when vast numbers of mid packers started coming through :pac:
    MrSkinny wrote: »
    Well done on the recent PBs. Wish I'd read that last race report before Saturday - it might have just provided some inspiration to dig in when things got tough during the FD.

Thanks G, I remember talking to you as you were passing through. It seems the large majority of people were below their expected levels on Saturday, so I wouldn't get too upset about this one. Don't know if you're running the HM, but if so, you've an early opportunity to create happier memories for yourself on those roads (it's basically the FD10 again, with a loop through Farmleigh and back around). Best of luck with the training!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Good luck in the 5k. I’m sure I took some nachos thingies from a guy on the left . I don’t think I would have recognized my own granny at that stage mind!

• Advertisement

Good luck this evening J! I'll keep an eye out for you there, although I have to rush away afterwards.

Wed 28/8 - BHAA Pfizer 5k

Pre Race

Since last Thursday (22/8), I hadn't done a thing, due to a combination of real life, nursing a niggle, and laziness. I briefly was fearful of having to withdraw, as a wasp appeared at the window, and me minding my own business, listening to a podcast while on the bus. He even followed me when I moved seats :eek: Maybe he wasn't a Cellic fan? :pac:

Anyhow, he was gone soon after that, and from there I'd an uneventful journey to Grange Castle Business Park in Clondalkin. Some of you will remember it from the South Dublin 10k this year and last. Registration was quick and efficient, and changing was in a massive conference room, which was great, especially for those of us who got there early. Paddy was also in plenty of time, which meant a relaxed warmup lap, along with strides closer to the start time, were the preferred way of preparation. I was looking out for eyrie beforehand, but no sign of her. Not to worry :D

Race

I'm not going to do a blow by blow account of this one, as it was never intended as a goal race, and I was mindful of the need for a bit more control, after six days of inactivity.

I lined up a long way back, as we started into 3 and a bit laps. The south side of the course was into the breeze, with a couple of chicanes and little drags, ending with a very short but steep hill. Slight downhill eastbound, with a little hill at the end of that stretch, but we were downhill and downwind on the longest (northbound) side, which brought us to the short finish straight. My effort levels were above what they would normally be at a parkrun, but a long way short of full tilt. G was there supporting to keep me honest all the same. Steady enough progress, picking off one here and two there, and I wasn't passed at all, due to starting so far back. Overtook Sharon and Vanessa before the long downhill, and kept it at a reasonable tempo to the end. If I wanted to, I could probably have caught Stephen N and another guy, on the short run in to the finish line. Some other day maybe.

Time: 20:37 - second fastest 5k this year.
    Position: 46/173
    Category: 7/12 M45

Post Race

On the cooldown lap with Paddy, we're on the downhill stretch, when up ahead is a girl running on her own. Pull up alongside, and lo and behold, eyrie made it after all :D Not only that, it turned out she got herself a PB, in spite of very little time to warm up etc. She had to get away early, while most of the rest of us tucked into chicken goujons, chips, cocktail sausages, cakes, biccies etc. Luckily enough, we had a team tonight, and I was our top scorer (fast lads missing again!) as we finished third in C class.

eyrie was first in her category, on her BHAA debut, and as the only other Boardsie in action (AFAIK) it fell to me to break the news to her later on :pac: More successes to come, here's hoping! August review to come at some stage on Saturday. Thanks for reading. J.

Great time well done :D

Oh how i miss the buzz & speed of a 5k race ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Nicely done J!

I think the more I run, and the more 5k race reports I read, the more I'm beginning to respect this distance. In the past, I was probably guilty of looking at a 5k distance as 'small fry' but I'm slowly coming around...........:o

Ah I didn't realise I was missing cake too by leaving! Might have to refer people to your description of the course when I get around to writing up my report - mine would be more along the lines of "there was an up bit for a while, then a down bit, then a bit of a flat bit...". :pac:

Hope the knee is ok this morning. Congrats again on the prize and the top scoring spot!

Great time well done :D

Oh how i miss the buzz & speed of a 5k race ;)

Thanks E. In which case, I reckon the Jingle Bells 5k (usually first Sat in December) will be right up your street. Net downhill, super fast finish, and just enough time to recover from DCM ;)
    coogy wrote: »
    Nicely done J!

I think the more I run, and the more 5k race reports I read, the more I'm beginning to respect this distance. In the past, I was probably guilty of looking at a 5k distance as 'small fry' but I'm slowly coming around...........:o

Thanks K, yes this was one I certainly "respected". It's been a while since I deliberately started so far back in an actual 5k race.
    eyrie wrote: »
    Ah I didn't realise I was missing cake too by leaving! Might have to refer people to your description of the course when I get around to writing up my report - mine would be more along the lines of "there was an up bit for a while, then a down bit, then a bit of a flat bit...". :pac:

Hope the knee is ok this morning. Congrats again on the prize and the top scoring spot!

You didn't, to be fair. Just realised that I never clarified that anomaly while talking to you since. That was me embellishing the feed a tiny bit. But everything else was there in abundance :pac:

We're normally in the running for a team prize, provided 3 lads turn up. It's not that often I'm first scorer though!

Thu 29/8 - Rest

Normally I make it my business to get some kind of run in the day after a race, even such low key ones as this one. However, my knee was stinging the f0ck out of me all day, so no chance of that happening this time.

Fri 30/8 - 5.75 miles @9:06/mi

Having met the champ at lunchtime, for the purpose of passing on her prize, I was hoping to get another good running deed done. I was a bit apprehensive heading out, but managing to find the grass for practically all of my run within Porterstown was a great help. Very little soreness lingering. One day at a time, says he.

Sat 31/8 - 15.71 miles @8:22/mi

I didn't feel too bad this morning, so I got the gear on early and set off on a largely familiar route. Through Laurel Lodge and Castleknock and in at Castleknock Gate, trails to Cabra Gate in beautiful early morning sunshine, and across to the hills on the south side. Nice up and down through here, with lots of runners throughout my loop. Might be some big races coming up? I stopped near White's Gate, to chat to a couple I know from parkrun. Once I got to parkrun in time, that was the main thing. Tough little section which I hadn't run before, from Castleknock College down to the Sand Pits and up under the M50 to Castleknock Hotel. Got there in time anyway.

I found a spot in the middle for the parkrun, and finished the LR reasonably well overall. Didn't quite get the progression I was hoping for (couple of seconds slippage from lap 2 to 3, and a little off HMP) but I'm happy with a time of 23:09 (3rd M45), in my 125th parkrun. Feeling tired now, but at least my knee is ok.

August Review

A month of two halves (almost), the first half up to and including the Kilcock 10 mile, the second, emmm.. the rest. Mileage was kept fairly steady in the buildup to another 10 mile PB. I doubt if I'd have been able to replicate that time in the scorchio FD10, so a rare example of wise race selection by me. In this one, I had a bit of extra determination in me that isn't always there, in order to hang on when the whole lot seemed to be falling apart.

After that, not a huge amount to report, partly due to an ongoing niggle, which I've minded a bit more since. That said, a comfortable-ish (by 5k race standards) in Pfizer was good enough for my second fastest 5k of 2019. Mileage has gone through the floor, and even though I hit my longest 2019 distance this morning, most I know with any intention of running DCM have at least one 20 miler in the bag by now.

Races: 2 (YTD 16)
    parkruns: 2 (15) Both of my August parkruns were at the end of LRs.
    Mileage: 151 (954)

Next

Lots going on next week, so I won't get to run the GT5K, and there won't be any time for an LR. The following week brings my last "goal" race of the year, the Ratoath HM, where I'll be aiming to lower my PB from a three year old mark of 1:37:30 (Race Series 2016). A clubmate who ran 1:36 in the R 'N' R is going, so maybe she can drag me over the line :D

Beyond that, for better or worse I've signed up for the Griffith Avenue Mile. With just eight days between it and Ratoath, my participation will be very dependent on my rate of recovery. But it's a chance of going sub 6 for the first time ever, especially if Murph_D is there for me to pace off :pac: Thanks for reading. J.

Brief update....

Sun 1/9 - 3.2 miles@8:09/mi

The above is a semi educated guess, as I forgot to start the clock. Down Chesterfield, right at The Phoenix, right again through the Papal Cross car park and follow the trail past the US Ambassador's Residence back up to OS Road/Furze Road, and back to Castleknock Gate. I had planned to stay longer, but between the Saturday LR, pints watching an easy Liverpool win away to Burnley, and subsequent pre AI settlers, I fell off the back quite early on. So instead of going up to Castleknock and around for a few more miles, on reaching Castleknock Gate I pulled the plug and went home. We'll call it "cumulative fatigue" :pac:

The All Ireland itself was fairly nerve shredding, really mentally draining! Can't handle close games :eek: Thankfully Cellic had an easy win against Sevco to start the afternoon off :D and overall I was back home "several" hours earlier than planned :pac:

Mon 2/9 - Rest

Tue 3/9 - 5.47 miles @8:38/mi

Few jobs around the house when I got home from work, so it wasn't till quite late (or at least, much later than intended) that I headed out into the twilight. I wasn't really in the mood for this, even less so following being hit in the eye by a fly, seconds after I took the shades off. I'd still another loop and a half to go, eventually finishing in the D15 darkness :rolleyes: I had to dust off the hi vis for this one, and not only that, it felt a bit cooler too #WinterIsComing

Wed 4/9 - Grant Thornton 5k - DNS

A few things going on causing havoc with logistics. As it turned out, I probably could have run the GT5K. Good job I didn't (long story!) Plan B was the club session in Porterstown. Tonight Paddy was calling it, and he chose to put us through our paces via the pyramid session (3/5/8/5/3). 2 min rec, except for 3 min after the 8 I think? Funny enough, I felt a lot better through the 8/5/3 than the 3/5 which directly preceded it. I probably got more benefit from this than trying to race through a packed field on narrow streets, and then have to make my way home via public transport late-ish. Who knows, I might still get a goodie bag, if my spot wasn't taken :D

Next

I'm involved in the organising of our club XC handicap race in the Phoenix Park tomorrow (captain's privilege :D) so I won't be running that one. However, this weekend I'll finally be undertaking my first piece of cross border parkrunning, and all going well, I'll get to run on Sunday too, before we have to track back. Either way, no chance of a long run. Nothing else overly strenuous in the lead up to the Ratoath HM, which, due to the All Ireland Final replay taking place that evening, is now the hors d'oeuvre, on what will hopefully be a very special day for me #COYBIB Thanks for reading! J.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Nerve shredding doesn't even come close to describing it!!! What a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Good to see the boys in blue getting a going over in the early kick off Sunday!

Thu 5/9 - No running

Not strictly true, as we had to remeasure the Glen Cup course on the fly, due to part of the normal route being like a jungle. It ended up a bit long, in spite of our best efforts, but not to worry - everyone was told in advance. Overall, I thought the handicaps worked out fairly well - for a first go, it could have turned out a lot worse :D

Fri 6/9 - Rest

Travelling to West Cork. I'd a couple of other runs planned for the weekend, so I reckoned I could get by without running today, especially after the long drive.

Sat 7/9 - Glengarriff parkrun

Sun was shining as we drove out from Bantry to Glengarriff Woods, for my first time ever to cross the border for a parkrun. Arrived just after 9, and already the volunteers were there, with a steady flow of runners arriving. It's a friendly atmosphere, with plenty of visitors - of the 84 this time, probably a third were first timers at this parkrun. Even after the guy doing the first timers briefing explained the course, I was still a bit unsure of myself. Thankfully, there were sufficient marshals, as well as large parkrun signs "GO LEFT" and "GO RIGHT" :D

I had no intention of being any way competitive, having got through a fair bit of food, beer and wine on Friday, topped up with brekkie in the hotel before we set off. With this in mind, I kept an even pace as the leaders pulled away. Once I could see someone ahead, I was happy enough, not to mention more confident that I wouldn't get lost in the forest :pac: The RD mentioned that traffic had right of way here, and sure enough a few of us were avoiding a tractor at one stage. I'd honestly no idea where I was overall. A couple of young lads had gone out too fast in the opening loop, and it was due to them slowing down, rather than any great running on my part, that I made up a couple of places as we came back through the starting point. I didn't even realise that we wouldn't actually be passing the start twice, so my wife didn't see me finishing :rolleyes:

Over the river bridge near the finish, where I caught another chap, and on towards the second loop. A lot more ups and downs in this one. I was soon running alone, not really knowing what lay ahead as I meandered through the forest trail. I'd heard of "the steep hill" though, and sure enough it hit me hard approaching the 4k mark. With gradients of up to 19%, I could feel the food and drink repeating on me big style, but I at least managed to run up it without stopping. On reaching the marshal at the T junction, I thought that was it, but there was still a bit more climbing. For the first time in ages, I could see another runner, as a guy ahead was walking, and then stopped to tie his lace. Well, once he'd done that, he tore off down the hill. I made no attempt to catch him :D Back over the footbridge, and then a few steps into the finish, with a bit of showboating for the camera. Major shock to discover that my time of 23:14 was good enough for 4th :pac: I highly recommend it if or when you find yourself down that part of West Cork. Great to be able to get into the jacuzzi when I got back to the hotel :pac:

Sun 8/9 - 4.54 miles @8:51/mi

By now, we had relocated to the city. In advance, I decided to pick Kellygirl's brains for some local routes. She came up with some good ones right enough. On another sunny morning down South, I had a 90 feet elevation gain in 0.2 of a mile, just after starting my run. Nice downhill to follow though :pac: The main part of the out and back I chose was a steady spin along Rochestown Road - relatively gentle ups and downs. Of course, the "nice downhill" I mentioned above wasn't such a nice uphill on the way back! That said, I could see it continuing further on for at least another quarter mile before turning right, and part of me wanted to see just how far it went :eek: However, common sense prevailed, and I ducked back into the hotel for a nice warm bath before we headed for home. Thanks K.

Next

All roads lead to Ratoath, for my second tilt at the (sold out) HM. Feeling confident at the moment, but the diet will have to be a bit better next week. Not much hard stuff planned over the next few days. Fingers crossed that it all pays off. Thanks for reading. J.

• Advertisement

Good luck on Saturday J; you should be full of confidence after a good few performances lately.

A double celebration of a PB and the Dubs winning on Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Good luck on Saturday J; you should be full of confidence after a good few performances lately.

He’ll get the PB........

A PB or a Dubs win; a tough choice for J!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done on the 4th place. Glad you enjoyed the Rochestown road. Maryborough hill continues for quite a bit though you were looking at the steepest part alright. I used live up the top of it and pushed a buggy up there more times than I care to remember.

Best of luck Saturday:D

I will also be running a HM but my 1st ever :eek:
    Defo hoping for Dublin to win :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Nice one J, Will keep an eye out for you on Saturday!

A PB or a Dubs win; a tough choice for J!

Thanks C, yes performances have been encouraging, with 5 mile and 10 mile PBs gained in recent months. Getting a HM PB seems like a natural progression, but will it turn out that way? :D I'm still confident that both of Saturday's goals can be achieved :pac:
    OOnegative wrote: »
    He’ll get the PB........

Be careful what you wish for B. Even if Kerry don't beat us on Saturday, they'll win more than one AI in the near future, of that I've no doubt. We're only trying to hold back the tide :pac: Interestingly enough, while driving through West Cork last week, we passed through Dunmanway, which, as you may or may not know, is the birthplace of Sam Maguire ;) It's a sign!
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    Well done on the 4th place. Glad you enjoyed the Rochestown road. Maryborough hill continues for quite a bit though you were looking at the steepest part alright. I used live up the top of it and pushed a buggy up there more times than I care to remember.

Thanks K, still can't believe I got 4th in spite of the preparation :D few more hills in there than what I'm used to in Porterstown parkrun. Seemingly I didn't quite reach the best bit on Sunday morning, but I was fairly conscious of time, not to mention mindful of the hill I had to climb on the way back :pac:Next time?
    Best of luck Saturday:D

I will also be running a HM but my 1st ever :eek:
    Defo hoping for Dublin to win :D

Thanks E ! My 16th HM, more than 6 years after my first ever (Clontarf), second this year after Inishbofin. A hard one to get right, in my experience, but your training is going well, so relax and enjoy it :) Up The Dubs!!!
    coogy wrote: »
    Nice one J, Will keep an eye out for you on Saturday!

Thanks K ! Look forward to it.

Nearly forgot. Wave 1, if anyone's asking.

Nicely done in Glengarriff! Hope you enjoyed the weekend away.
    16 HMs in 6 years - that's quite a record! Hope this one goes well and brings the new PB :)

eyrie wrote: »
    Nicely done in Glengarriff! Hope you enjoyed the weekend away.
    16 HMs in 6 years - that's quite a record! Hope this one goes well and brings the new PB :)

Thanks C :) yes, the weekend was a success - a nice few days of R and R.

Seems like a lot of HMs when you put it that way. I actually covered HM distance in the 2016 Wings For Life Run , so you could say 17.

That was a hot day, and we started at 12, so I decided to just cover HM distance from Dún Laoghaire to Greystones (which I did, in 1:47) and then stop. The winner of the Dublin run also finished first in Porterstown parkrun the day before, setting an Irish parkrun record which stood for a year. 8th was the last place he didn't lap ! Bring on Saturday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck tomorrow J, run well man!!

Advertisement