Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leader Of The (Mid) Pack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Brilliant! Delighted to see this, well done. PB!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Great report J and fair play for the internal dialogue and fighting through it all. Well deserved pb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great racing and great attitude during the race J. Looking forward to the race report prize giving report too... you're a banker for that one! Congrats on the PB, very well earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

As usual J, your race report did not disappoint. Really enjoyed reading it and as for the race, you sure as hell earned that PB.
    Well done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done, J, much congrats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

You've got to fight for PBs, they're not just handed out!
    Love this!!
    Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Thanks for all the kind words both here and on Strava.
    It still came as a bit of a shock to end up front and centre on our FB page as a result :pac:
    Hope the report conveyed some sense of what it was like out there.
    In case any of you are curious...yes I have entered the report comp....however I had to change a few lines here and there, as usual there are parts where only the regular readers would get what I'm on about :p

Back to the present....

Wed 17/7 - 3.33 miles@9:17/mi

Woke up this morning basically stuck to the bed. Yep, I gave it the works in that race. Around lunchtime I finally threw on the runners and got out again. Feeling very tired, but I got a couple of laps of Porterstown in the bag before heading back home. Job done!

Thu 18/7 - 9.35 miles@8:39/mi

From the house to the Phoenix Park via Laurel Lodge, into the Furry Glen via Furze and back out. Spotted a gang of Porterstown Panthers about to do their hill runs - kept going just in case :D Very happy with this run. Only 9 seconds differential between my fastest mile (8:32, twice) and slowest (8:41, first mile). Being able to run a lot of it on grass was a massive help, as there was a fair bit of cumulative fatigue kicking in.

Fri 19/7 - Rest

Apart, that is, from a good sized lunch, as well as cakes in the afternoon. My promotion has finally gone through, so I may well have started in the new job by the time you read this. I got a lovely send off anyway - way better than I deserved or expected!

Sat 20/7 - 11.52 miles@8:22/mi, including Porterstown parkrun

As I would be volunteering at the South Dublin 10k, I decided to use a partial reprise of one of my June runs for this week's MLR. I'm not quite up to LSR mileage yet :D Arrived in Porterstown a little bit early, but no matter, as I shuffled around the grass track to fill in the time. The parkrun itself was a progression run, with my last mile (7:10) being at around 10 mile race pace. FWIW, I covered parkrun #122 in 23:07. Cooldown brought me over 12 miles for the day. Delighted.

Sun 21/7 - 7.06 miles@8:17/mi

We'd a fair bit of interest in a 7 AM run from Castleknock Gate, so in spite of putting away "some" wine after the Dubs' latest demolition job, I was more than willing and able to join in. Six of us set off, nice and easy through Castleknock and back in via Knockmaroon Gate, before completing most of a loop of the park, apart from the North Road/zoo.

As it turned out, for the SD 10k I was handing out the medium sized t-shirts at the finish (Dublin GAA top). Super busy for a good while, but a bit of craic and turned out better than expected, considering I'd never done that job before. I spotted quite a few from here, as well as numerous non Boardsie buddies. Special mention for OOnegative, all the way from the Netherlands to run an aul 10k.

38 miles for the week. Considering I'd a race in there, I'm quite pleased with how this turned out. Back to building up the miles again next week! Thanks for reading. J.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Good to see you again J, fair play on the volunteering man, need more like you.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Good to see you again J, fair play on the volunteering man, need more like you.

Thanks B, yeah a lot of our regular crew were in Tullamore for the National Juvenile Championships, so the reserves got drafted in! I'm on the list for the FD 10, so will probably end up doing something similar there.

As an aside, I reckon a 10k PB, closely followed by a 10k race win, would merit an aul race report. Or two! :pac:

Back to my own gig. Slipped out to Page 3 since last week.

Mon 22/7 - Rest

Tue 23/7 - 11.09 miles @8:47/mi

After running from the house to White's Gate, I decided to make another guest appearance on the Porterstown Panthers Tuesday run. Four of us kept a nice pace on an anticlockwise lap of the Park. The faster ones in the group go at a pace that suits, so I might jump in again before the summer's out. Quite a warm evening, with a turn off the North Road to the trail from the Hole In The Wall providing welcome shelter from the sun. Once we'd completed the loop, I left them at White's Gate, and a solo run home brought me into double figures.

Wed 24/7 - Nothing

Best intentions, but cooking related issues meant I missed the club session in Porterstown (adult supervision wasn't available, as my wife was at a work do). Once I (a) learn where everything is, and (b) don't have to check the recipe(s) every two seconds, all will be fine :D As it turned out, dinner wasn't made till 7:30, so I just ate it there and then, rather than shuffling up for the last few minutes of the session and eating later. It turns out I missed a beast of a pyramid - 3 mins/5/8/5/3 :eek: Not sure what the recoveries were, but something tells me it won't be long before I find out.

Thu 25/7 - 11.55 miles @8:45/mi

"Hot and humid Thursday trundle" as I labelled it on Strava. For a change, I returned to a route I covered almost a year ago.

From the house through Clonsilla to the end of Ongar Road, roughly 3.2 miles. Then turn around, and the real fun started - over four miles of virtually dead straight road. From well over a mile away, you can see the Power City in the distance, and it seems much further away than that! Head down, and don't think about it too much. This road passes the "West End" Blanch SC shops, crosses the N3, and passes the National Sports Campus. Left at the roundabout towards Tyrrelstown (as opposed to turning right for Finglas) and turn down the hill behind Corduff, back over the N3 (different bridge) passing the Blanchardstown Centre again, and onwards to home. Like I say, not a very inspiring route, and I wasn't feeling very energetic, although the splits came as a pleasant surprise - very consistent by my standards.

Fri 26/7 - 3.61 miles@8:38/mi

This was an attempt to partially compensate for no running on Wednesday. I didn't have much time, so a quick scoot around the Carpenterstown loop (x 2) was what transpired. You would think I ran for a lot longer, considering how sweaty I was at the end of it!

Dé Sathairn 27/7 - parkrun Athair Uí Choileáin

Bhí sé ar m'intinn agam dul go dtí an seisiún leis an gclub ag na Polos, ach bhí mé tuirseach traochta ar maidin (easpa chodladh). Mar sin, shocraigh mé cuairt a thabhairt ar an parkrun seo, mar parkrun as Gaeilge a bhí ann inniu.

Bhraith mé go breá sa warmup, ach ní raobh aon fuinneamh agam ar chor ar bith sa parkrun. Thaitin sé liom ar aon nós. 21:17 sa deireadh (#123). Is parkrun é. Ná bí buartha. Leanfaimid ar aghaidh!

A few clubmates were racing too. Our lady captain picked up silver in the National Senior 5000 metres in Santry. No shame in being second to Fionnuala McCormack, and she left the other silver medal contenders well behind early on in what was an outstanding performance.

Elsewhere, one of the lads gave up his own race in the Mullingar 10, to help a girl who collapsed while running with him. Very scary, but she's ok now, much to the relief of all involved.

Sun 28/7 - 12.15 miles @8:11/mi

I spent a fair bit of yesterday deliberating whether to start at 7 or 8 AM. Even better numbers for the earlier stint, as it turned out, and we had five together for the entirety of this 7 mile plus loop. Another 5 miles with the 8 AM group brought me to over 12 miles for the day (even though I tired on the Khyber), and 44.6 miles for the week, just over my mileage for the first week of July. Delighted with that, as the mileage slipped in between, partially due to racing, but now I'm where I want to be again. A slight increase in mileage next week, to bring me closer to 50 than 40, will be a very satisfactory outcome as July turns to August. Thanks for reading. J.

Mon 29/7 - Rest

Tue 30/7 - 12.07 miles@8:35/mi

Between lightning strikes along my preferred train route, and super slow buses in the floods, I was 45 minutes later than planned in getting home. It was one of those evenings where the longer I sat there thinking about it, the less likely I was to actually get out and run. Eventually, I threw on the rain jacket and got out the door. Long route to the Phoenix Park (i.e. via Laurel Lodge and Castleknock village) before a lap of the Park and back out. The worst of the rain had passed, however, it did fall for most of my 1:43 stint.

I also got chased by two black Labradors near Ashtown Gate. One of the Panthers asked me about this on my Strava. I've no idea why it's always me that seems to attract canine "attention" (as well as flies and seagulls).
    Being black Labs, they probably would have tried to lick me to death, but I couldn't be sure. Funny when I discovered that one of them had the same name as me. Now that's a first :pac: As for the run itself, probably a bit quick, although it didn't feel that way, even with a very heavy jacket near the end. Two 12 milers two days apart? Something to keep an eye on, as Paddy pointed out tonight. Plenty to ponder indeed.

Wed 31/7 - Club session, Porterstown Park

For various reasons, I hadn't actually taken part in a club session since the first week of July. Hence, I was a bit fearful tonight, especially having heard of the 3/5/8/5/3 pyramid last week. Well anyway, after a shuffle up, followed by a couple of laps of the track and four hedge loops, what transpired maybe wasn't as bad.

The coach said before we started, that there would be 24 minutes of hard running (sub 5k pace). Five runs, shortest 4 minutes, longest 6. I guessed that it would be another pyramid (4/5/6/5/4). Wrong. Turns out it was alternating (4/6/4/6/4) with 2 minute jog recoveries. Between the warm weather, increased mileage, and lack of recent speedwork, I found the second 6 particularly tough. The last 4, Ronan passed me with about 500 to go, and although I made up a lot of ground on him and Bernard near the end, I didn't quite catch them. Happy with my evening's work. Stretches afterwards (while trying to avoid swallowing flies!) and then a shuffle home to bring it to 7.15 miles for the night.

July Review

Overall, I'm very happy with how this month has gone. Following a shocker of a month in June, it was time for a change in strategy, among other things. More training and less races was the single biggest change. It seems to be working well so far. I only had the one race, but that was the night I finally broke a 5 year old 5 mile PB, on a warm and sunny evening in Bettystown. A very satisfactory LR followed four days later, finished with the last mile of a parkrun at 10 mile race pace.

Since then, the hardest thing has maybe been to monitor the increased mileage, and do it in such a way that's controlled and not in danger of knocking me for six down the road. As mentioned earlier, the closeness of 12 mile runs, and the pace at which I'm doing them, could come back to bite me. Luckily, I'm not planning to increase the midweek runs by much (if anything slightly decreasing) and the overall weekly mileage shouldn't go too much over 50. Overall, I ran on 21 days out of 31, and I achieved my highest ever monthly mileage, which should hopefully stand to me in the coming races. Diet hasn't always been as good as planned (i.e. most days good, one or two not so), alcohol the same, but that can be turned around again. Sleep still terrible though. Heat doesn't help me.

Races: 1 (YTD 14)
    parkruns: 3 (13)
    Mileage: 164 (803)

Next

Upcoming races are, as it stands, the Kilcock 10 Mile on August 18, and the Ratoath Half Marathon on September 14. After that, it's really decision time regarding what I want to actually do in October. The Irish 3/4 Marathon, the Lusk 20 Mile, and the Dublin Novices XC, are all taking place the first weekend in October, just after we come back from our holidays. More observant readers will have noted the absence of any reference to marathon plans here :D

In other words, *if* I take the DCM start line, it will purely be for show, and the sightseeing tour to follow. If I fancy any actual racing in October, cross country will be my friend. Decisions, decisions! Thanks for reading. J.

FÓGRA

Just in case any of you were wondering what happened to the report competition. I got word tonight that I finished second, for which the prize is a free entry to next year's race. Hope none of you lost money on that one!

• Advertisement

Thu 1/8 - 11.53 miles@9:13/mi

This was last Thursday's run in reverse, i.e. straight up past the Blanchardstown Centre to begin, downhill past the National Sports Campus, and all the way to Ongar, before turning around and coming home via Clonsilla.

On another warm, sunny evening, I felt desperate almost right from the start. Even early on, it seemed to take forever to reach the top of the hill after passing TU Dublin and the back of Corduff. Downhills didn't improve my mood. Even so, I resisted the temptation to turn off the Ongar Road early. Much slower than last Thursday's effort, but I didn't take part in the Wednesday session last week. "Too long by at least 2 miles" as I commented on Strava. Still think that's a valid statement :rolleyes:

Fri 2/8 - Rest

Sat 3/8 - Club session, Phoenix Park

Down to White's Gate for 8 to meet the coach. Seven of us were out for what for me was a new session. Over to the hills in the Furry Glen to start off. Not the ones you run up or down in, for example, this year's Irish Runner 5 & 10 Mile races. Shorter, but steeper! We were given the choice of 8 or 10. Up one, recover coming down, straight up the other and repeat. Trying to keep a consistent rhythm was tough, but I had Ronan and Joan with me, and I let it be known that none of us were stopping at 8! Delighted to complete the ten, although the legs were a bit jellylike after the last one.

We exited the Furry Glen by the more conventional route, passing Browneyes (in mid LSR) along the way, and came back to the crossroads at the end of Furze Road. After a few strides, time for the last part of the session - a hard run around the OS Road/Chesterfield Ave/Furze Road triangle, a distance of about 2.7 km. I've always blown up early any time I've raced the Tom Brennan, so this would be tricky. I was gasping even on the OS Road, but while Kenny was gone way into the distance, the rest of us were still reasonably close. I managed to reel in a fading Ronan half way down the Furze, and although I finished strong and was catching Bernard at the end, at the same time Joan was catching me. 10:53 as timed by the coach - not a bad first attempt. Run back to the car to bring it to 6.6 miles for the morning.

My work was not quite done! Quick drive up to Porterstown for parkrun volunteering. Pleasantly surprised to meet ReeReeG, who was doing this one as part of her long run. There was even some hot chocolate left for me at the end of my marshalling stint. Good work :D

Sun 4/8 - 11.56 miles@8:32/mi

Between already having a lump of miles on board this week, and then a few pints watching the GAA on Saturday evening, the original plans for today were more than a little ambitious. These were (a) run along the canal as far as Drumcondra, then turn around (13-14 miles), or (b) 10 miles around Phoenix Park with the lads, with the runs to and from the house taking it to over 14.5.

Even coming down the hill towards White's Gate, my head wasn't in the game at all. The decision was made very quickly in the end, as while the faster lads went the traditional MSB Sunday route around the OS trail, the rest of us reverted to an old fashioned perimeter lap of the park. Quite similar to the Porterstown Panthers route, so much so that we passed a few of them along the way. Coming back up the North Road, I was dreading having to undertake the two drags on the way home solo - White's Gate to Castleknock College (half a mile or so), and then roughly a kilometre from under the M50 up to Carpenterstown. Badly needed bath after I finally reached base camp. Several hours later, I'm still feeling a bit wiped out.

So there you have it. 48.85 miles for the week, which is my highest ever mileage. Had I gone with the other plans, it would have been 51 or 52. Next week, the Tuesday and Thursday runs will be shorter. I'm Run Director in Porterstown next Saturday morning, so I'm planning an early start for my Sunday LR before supporting at the Rock 'N' Roll races. Hopefully I'll catch a few of you in action. Thanks for reading. J.

Mon 5/8 - Rest

Tue 6/8 - 10.26 miles@8:36/mi

The aim this week was to reduce the distance on my Tuesday and Thursday runs. This one was broadly the same as last Tuesday (30/7) with the main difference being that, instead of running the full perimeter, I cut across from the Hole In The Wall down through the 15 Acres to Chapelizod Gate, saving myself a good mile and a half plus. I also cut across Tír na nÓg instead of going around the outside of it like I normally would, but I was hungry, and I knew I still needed to reduce the distance a tiny bit. Everything under 9 minutes tonight - sweaty at the end, but otherwise reasonably comfortable.

Wed 7/8 - Club session, Porterstown Park

You may remember I mentioned missing out on the pyramid from the club session of two weeks ago (24/7). Well, tonight I would get my chance to experience 3/5/8/5/3 (2 min jog recoveries). As is his normal practice, the coach didn't actually say this - he said there would be 5 runs covering 24 minutes, and that the first would be of 3 minutes duration. This time I called it correctly. Out quite hard through the opening 3/5, and I led out a group of five for about the first 5 1/2 of the long 8 minute stint. Four of the lads passed me with about 700 to go, but I managed to reel one back in, and stop myself from falling off the pace altogether. I was a bit more measured on the 5/3 that followed than the earlier 3/5, although I did pick it up hard for the last 250. Great to have company throughout - it was a bit cooler than most of the recent evenings, but still tough going. Between warmup, cooldown, strides etc, it came to around seven miles for the night.

Couple of changes for the weekend. I'm not actually going to be Porterstown RD on Saturday - instead I'm moving my long run forward a day, to finish it with the aforementioned parkrun. Probable few pints on Saturday evening, after (hopefully) watching the Dubs qualify for a shot at 5 in a row. It seems like half the club is racing the Rock 'N' Roll HM, so Sunday will then be a few easy miles either before or after supporting my clubmates. Might spot some of you on my rounds. Thanks for reading. J.

Thu 8/8 - 9.42 miles@8:45/mi

Continuing with the theme of less midweek miles, I did the reverse of a run I did a couple of weeks ago. This time in White's Gate, over to Furry Glen, and back up to run the Furze Road before exiting at Castleknock Gate and going home via Laurel Lodge. First few miles weren't too bad, but once I got out of the park I was really struggling. Clearly the pyramid session hit me harder than I thought.

Fri 9/8 - Rest

Sat 10/8 - 14.61 miles @8:38/mi

That was rank. I think I stopped three times, between firstly wondering would I complete my planned run in time for the parkrun start, and secondly thinking would I even bother! The route didn't help - over four miles of long straight road from Ongar to Ballycoolin, and then three miles into the wind, past the back of Corduff and the Blanchardstown Centre, towards Porterstown. The RD was just starting her briefing as I arrived. I looked and felt fairly ragged, especially compared to most of those fresh as daisies about to start their runs. The plan was to finish with a progression run, similar to a couple of LRs I've done this summer. No chance of that happening this time I'm afraid. I really did only have one gear, Friday night pints during and after watching the Reds v Norwich not helping my cause. I got lapped by the first finisher, a lad wearing a Mayo jersey. Thankfully, in the end that didn't turn out to be the bad omen I feared :D 25:46 for parkrun #124 for me, the 200th at Porterstown. My longest run this year - the next LSR can only be better.

Sun 11/8 - 3.56 miles @9:21/mi

Down to the Phoenix Park to cheer the R'N'R athletes home - a large contingent from my own club, as well as a good number of Boardsies, such as RayCun, ReeReeG, Sheep1978, quick feet, HelenAnne and RedRunner. After all of that, my wife suggested taking the car, rather than me shuffling around the Carpenterstown loop. So it was off to St Catherine's Park with me. Between the LR and drinks following Dublin's demolition of Mayo, I was still a bit tender. The forest trail was a disaster - lots of families, dogs etc making it a very stop start affair. There's a farmers market on Sundays there now as well, and there was a fair bit of activity here too, as I tiptoed my way through the masses. By the time I'd got to the railway stretch, I was in no mood for going around again. Thankfully, I had company for the last few minutes, as a result of a chance meeting with one of the Porterstown Panthers. By the time I returned to the car, I was feeling majorly clapped out, in more ways than one!

44.8 miles for the week. Next week will be mostly easy stuff, with mileage reducing again, as I aim to improve on my 10 mile PB in Kilcock. This is currently 1:11:33, set in the same race last year. Sub 70 seems to be more achievable this time. There are 70 min pacers, so I'll follow them early on and see what I have for the second half. Thanks for reading. J.

All the best today J, run well man!!!

Mon 12/8 - Rest

Tue 13/8 - 7.38 miles@8:41/mi

Like the previous two Tuesdays, down to Phoenix Park via Laurel Lodge and Castleknock village, and out White's Gate. Much shorter stint in PP though. All about Sunday now.

Wed 14/8 - Club session, Porterstown Park

Thankfully, no pyramids tonight! I'd say the lads who ran the Rock 'N' Roll HM were even more grateful. 4 x 6 mins around the grass track tonight (2 min rec). I was much more consistent throughout pacing wise, with my best effort being my last. I took a minute or two to get my breath at the end, but pleased with how it went overall.

Thu 15/8 - 6.00 miles @9:01/mi

Two Carpenterstown loops, followed by two old parkrun laps of Porterstown. Moving on!

Fri 16/8 - Rest

Sat 17/8 - 2.96 miles@9:29/mi

Just around to Tír na nÓg for these. 5 laps (roughly half a mile each) with 5 x strides thrown in. As you can tell, most of it was mega shuffle pace, but I was happy to get the strides in, especially when they were into the breeze on the straight side of the triangle. After this, I made a long overdue return to the Run Director's chair at Porterstown parkrun, for the first time in more than two years. Thankfully, it went well and the results were out early.

Sun 18/8 - Kilcock 10 From 10

Pre Race

Since breaking a very old 5 mile PB in Bettystown in July, this race has been the main focus, with mileage reaching new heights, for me at any rate. With more speed sessions on board than other years too, I was in confident mood on the short drive out, although sleep had been awful all week, and diet only so so. I had very contrasting fortunes in my previous races here. I set my 10 mile PB (1:11:33) in this race last year, but just over seven weeks ago was the 5k horror show. That was one memory which I was keen to banish!

Parked up on the grass inside the track, and had a chat with Sarah on the way in before collecting my bib and t-shirt. Easy warmup and strides around the track, before heading out to the start. Very surprised to say the least to bump into Sheep1978 on the way. The man's come on leaps and bounds since our first meeting, way back in the 2017 Dublin HM at Newbridge House. I began that race helping Marthastew pace 2 hours - quick hello to her, before we got the all clear to start.

Miles 1 & 2

I took a position about 20 yards behind the 70 min pacers - not too close, not too far back, so I hoped. Little rise over the motorway, then a steep drop to a chicane which took us onto a narrow country road. Same road as the 5k, for those of you who've run that one. It wasn't too warm or anything, and there was a nice tree canopy to keep the sun out. The pacers seemed to be a bit ahead of schedule, but even before we'd covered a mile, I had a decision to make.

(1) Stay behind, and hence out of the scrum, but also getting isolated with less protection from the elements.
    (2) Make up the ground, so working harder and moving faster, but having the benefit of running in a group, with added shelter.

Ok. Slowly. SLOWLY! close the gap. I eventually made it into the pack of 20 or so, just before we went up the drag up to the motorway bridge. Instead of turning left and over the motorway like the 5k does, we went right and downhill to the 2 mile marker. Harder to get into this position than last year?

Miles 3 & 4

Even running in the group, we were getting buffeted by the strong winds, with some rain added to the mix. I was thinking that it shouldn't be this hard, this early. Had I been training to my actual fitness level, as opposed to where I wanted it to be? On the positive side - yes, I'm in the right place to make a break later on, if I have enough in the tank. Very long straight section here. I skipped the 3 mile water stop in order to maintain my rhythm. It wasn't that warm, and I've sometimes run 10k races without water, so IMO that wasn't such a big deal. Sharp little rise to the 4 mile marker, and then we turned left.

Miles 5 & 6

This should have been easier, with the wind now seemingly behind us. Not so. Were the pacers going faster, or was I running out of puff already? This can't be happening. Not now. Any change in elevation, and my legs were burning. I moved right over beside the continuous white line in the road, to give myself a tiny bit of space in the group, which had lost a few off the back since the opening miles, and gained a guy from Dunleer (I think) and a girl from Ratoath. There's the 5 mile mark. Still another 5, was the first thought that came into my head. Not a good sign! There weren't any steep climbs around here, and yet I was struggling. Left at the church, and onto a long straight descent heading towards Maynooth. Gradually I moved to the back of the group, having been in the middle for about 3 miles. This straight seemed to be going on forever! Left again. 6 miles! Come on, only 4 to go!

Miles 7 & 8

Water. Badly needed. Even before this, I fell off the back of the group. It was just too difficult to hang onto them, irrespective of HTFU, JFDI, whatever you want to call it. I drank about a third of the cup, and tipped the rest of it over my head, before getting back out there and picking up the pace. A guy who I'd been talking to in the start area was a bit behind the group too, and I tried to bring him back up with me, to no avail. Right turn, shorten the stride and work the arms, up and over the motorway. Seven miles. Less than a parkrun to go! Unfortunately, now my lungs started filling up - I had to slow down just to clear them. Get back up there, come on! Got a shout from a guy passing wearing a green Dublin Airport 5k top. If I had the energy, I could have got a tow back up to the group. Not happening this time I'm afraid, even with a bit of downhill on the other side of the motorway bridge. The pacers were about 100m ahead now, as we reached the humpback (Jackson's) bridge over the canal and railway line. Ouch. Ouch. The stewards were directing us to the right, in order to make the sharp turn onto the canal greenway easier. Or maybe that should read "less painful". Right, here we go, last push!

Miles 9 & 10

From last year, I thought the 8 mile marker was a lot closer once we started the canal run. Wrong. Maybe 400 metres? Either way, I skipped the last water station. Dig in, come on. Wind in my face, with no group for shelter. However, a few more had fallen off the back of the pace group, and these would be my targets on the long push for home. Don't go too hard too early, otherwise I'd run the risk of being passed back. Trim runner. *Steady* hard pace. One up.

At one stage, I thought I could see the 9 mile marker about 500 metres ahead. Maybe 10 minutes left? Two women running almost side by side. Zap zap. Surely we've passed that marker now? Actually, no. Ooooff. *There* it is! Mind playing tricks or what. Can't believe there's still so much left. Past a canal lock. Seven minutes. Push. One more within range, a guy from Na Fianna AC (Enfield). He looks like he could stop at any second, yet I'm only catching him very slowly. Last km or so. Past the new houses. Still haven't got him. Worrying about being caught by people I passed earlier. Finish is way up there, around a little bend. Spectators are gathering, as we get to the railed section of the canal. Being a local(ish) lad, yer man is getting a few shouts. Time to upset that little applecart. I know we've only a few seconds left. NOW! YES!! One more place gained. The sub 70 is long gone, but the clock is still in the 1:10s. All the way in. PB!!!

Time: 1:10:46 (1:10:31)
    Position: 123/620
    Category: 44/122 M40

Post Race

I sat down for a minute or two to recover, before finding Sheep again and getting some food and liquids on board, including blueberry flavour protein milk. Normally I wouldn't dream of letting stuff like that pass my lips. Just shows you. Like I say, PBs aren't just handed out! I couldn't get beyond the pacers to hit my pre race goal of sub 70, but I'll take a PB of just over a minute.

Back up to race HQ with some of the Dunboyners, before an abandoned cooldown attempt, which was supposed to be four laps of the track, but cut short after one. Eventually I got dressed and into the school, for another top notch post race spread, where I proceeded to make a pig of myself among all those delicious cakes and biccies. Quick chat with RedRunner on the way out, before driving home for a bath and dinner, then PB beers while watching the hurling. Good day's work indeed!

Next

At the moment, my next race is the Ratoath Half Marathon, although I might add in the BHAA Pfizer 5k on Wednesday week. The more I think about DCM, the more I feel like I'm just going to focus on cross country for the winter. All of this is subject to change :pac:

Before all of that, I'm volunteering at the FD10 on Saturday. Hope to see some of you there. Thanks for reading. J.

Good man J, great guts & determination to finish that out. Any day you run a PB is a good one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Another very well-earned result there J! You certainly know how to get the best out of yourself, no matter what the conditions. Reading that report has me raring to go for next weekend!!
    Congrats!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Great run J; real guts and determination shown out there. As you say PBS don't come easy and have to be earned....savour it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Ahhh that's a great gutsy run, well done J, a hard earned PB. There's a lot of us around these parts still getting PBs *reasonably* handy but it's inspiring to read reports like that and i for one can only hope i have a bit of that grit and determination when i need it. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Congrats J, well deserved result after your training recently and past race results, you have been flying!
    Keep it going now, hopefully see you Saturday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Great report as always J. Well done again on the pb yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Great running well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Sounds like there was no small amount of suffering for that PB. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on the PB J, well earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done on Pb. Great report.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Inspiring! Well run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I am mildly distracted by the blueberry protein milk, which actually sounds worse than chocolate milk.

That's some run, with a report to match. Congrats on the PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Sounds like a well raced race. Congrats on the PB again, hope the beers were enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done on the PB :) Great race report!!

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    Good man J, great guts & determination to finish that out. Any day you run a PB is a good one!!

Dead right B. I found it very hard to get them last year - this race provided me with my only one of 2018.
    coogy wrote: »
    Another very well-earned result there J! You certainly know how to get the best out of yourself, no matter what the conditions. Reading that report has me raring to go for next weekend!!
    Congrats!!

Thanks K, certainly far more put into this one than my last race in Kilcock. No chucking it in early this time!
    Great run J; real guts and determination shown out there. As you say PBS don't come easy and have to be earned....savour it!

Thanks C, of course I totally stole that quote from Krusty, but not to mind!
    ariana` wrote: »
    Ahhh that's a great gutsy run, well done J, a hard earned PB. There's a lot of us around these parts still getting PBs *reasonably* handy but it's inspiring to read reports like that and i for one can only hope i have a bit of that grit and determination when i need it. Congrats.

Thanks E, glad you enjoyed it! Perhaps the memory from the 5k helped spur me on to avoid a repeat performance. Still a few more good years left for me I hope :pac:
    Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Congrats J, well deserved result after your training recently and past race results, you have been flying!
    Keep it going now, hopefully see you Saturday!

Thanks D, however I did wonder in running whether those "too long" midweek runs would come back to bite me! One (?) long race left this year :D
    Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Great report as always J. Well done again on the pb yesterday

Thanks D, yes one to savour. Fair play to yourself, a handy 64 in the bag!
    Great running well done!
    Sounds like there was no small amount of suffering for that PB. Well done.

Thanks guys, I'd say with most distances from here on I'll have to suffer for every PB I get.
    Younganne wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB J, well earned.
    Bluesquare wrote: »
    Well done on Pb. Great report.
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Inspiring! Well run.
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    I am mildly distracted by the blueberry protein milk, which actually sounds worse than chocolate milk.

That's some run, with a report to match. Congrats on the PB.
    Singer wrote: »
    Sounds like a well raced race. Congrats on the PB again, hope the beers were enjoyed.
    Well done on the PB :) Great race report!!

Thanks all! Beers (yes, plural!) went down a treat on Sunday. @Huzzah! I've actually drank chocolate milk before in non race situations :D as for blueberry, desperate times...

Overall!

Another pleasing aspect of Sunday, apart from all those already mentioned, is that in spite of all my earlier troubles, I wasn't passed by anyone in that 2 mile plus finishing stretch along the canal, although I only passed one runner in the last mile. That wasn't the case last year. I don't think they had it for their inaugural (2018) event , but this year the last mile was timed. My last was 7:06, which isn't amazing when you consider I had a 7:03 average for the 10, but it's certainly quicker than I thought it was. The chap I caught at the end clocked 7:26 for the last mile.

I don't think I could have done much better on the day. Sub 70 just wasn't there this time. I got into the right position, but even from early on, it was too much work just to stay in the group.
    Could I have pushed ahead of the pacers anyway? Probably.
    Would I have been able to make it stick? No, as subsequent events proved my in race analysis to be correct.
    Next time I should be able to seal that deal - it might not be another whole year before I race 10 miles again.

Comparing mile averages so far this year....

Docklands 5k 20:20 (6:33)
    Bettystown 5 Mile 33:48 (6:46) PB
    Kilcock 10 Mile 1:10:31 (7:03) PB

My current half marathon PB was set in the Race Series HM in the Phoenix Park, as long ago as September 2016. 1:37:30 gives me a 7:26 average. I'm thinking that if I can average 7:03 over 10 miles, surely I can beat that in a few weeks time. 17 seconds difference between 5 and 10, yes the distance is increasing, but I feel like it's well within my range. Couple more good weeks training (here's hoping!), and we'll see. That will be a nice one to crack, if I can bring it home.

Advertisement