Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leader Of The (Mid) Pack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Maybe not all easy? As I've often commented here, these plans are subject to amendment :D

Tue 4/6 - 7.96 miles @ 8:49/mi

Easy pace, in the sense that there wasn't nearly as much variance in my mile splits. Brutal evening for it - dark, wet, and pretty cold for the time of year. Not so bad once I made the effort of getting out the door. Fairly standard Laurel Lodge - Castleknock - Triangle - White's Gate - Castleknock College - Carpenterstown loop.

Wed 5/6 - Club session, Porterstown Park

After roughly 2 miles of a warmup including strides, this evening was 4 x 4 1/2 mins (2 min rec) around the grass track. In other words, a step up from 4 x 4 mins last week. Dreading this beforehand. Luckily, I was in the middle rather than left behind, and I had Ronan (first time sub 20 in BH) for company for most of it. Final rep was funny, as R blasted by me, seemingly forgetting that we still had a lap or so to go :D Right, I'll make him pay for that :pac: Couldn't quite get him back though! It took me a minute or so to catch my breath at the end - in a way a good sign, as I haven't worked that hard in one of these sessions in quite a while. Not such a bad thing to feel a bit of pain! Cooldown brought it up to about 6 miles or so for the night.

Thu 6/6 - 7.84 miles @ 8:38/mi

Not entirely unlike Tuesday's run. This time, I entered the Park at White's Gate, did a loop of the Furry Glen (reverse of the way the races normally go) and back out White's Gate. Running 6 of the last 7 days, so felt a bit tired at the end.

Fri 7/6 - Rest

Sat 8/6 - Porterstown parkrun

This would be a bit of a fact finding session. Firstly, I wanted to see if a longer pre parkrun warmup would help me, so I ran about 2.2 miles instead of the usual 1.6 (basically, adding the far field to the parkrun lap).

For the parkrun itself, for the first time in a long time, I decided to give it a decent bit of welly, with Docklands in mind. Lined up at the front, but not going crazy early on. I was somewhere between 15th and 20th finishing the first lap, as there were a few people ahead who in my mind were doing paces which they couldn't sustain. One of these was a chap in a Kildare jersey. Yes of course I had him in my sights :D and I made an easy pass at the base of the shorter drag on Lap 2, not long before half way. I passed some others too, and I still had plenty of energy for the last lap - working hard, but not quite at full tilt. I was a bit fortunate in that I had people to chase for most of this - not always the case in Porterstown. Strong finish coming down the hill, for 10th place and 1st M45 in a time of 20:50.

First reaction when I heard the time, I was, shall we say, underwhelmed :pac: However, thinking about it afterwards, it wasn't so bad. Whatever way you try to sugarcoat it, parkruns aren't races, and Porterstown is nowhere near as easy a course as it looks. An example. One of our lads went sub-20 in Docklands last year, in what was just his second 5k race. Since then, he's had numerous attempts at cracking sub-20 in Porterstown, so far unsuccessfully (20:02 twice).

I think the longer warmup helped me here. It's my fastest 2019 parkrun time (better than Tyrrelstown) and best in Porterstown since my century run last August. With 20 min pacers in Docklands, and people to chase and be chased by for the full distance, I haven't given up hope on bridging what is now a nearly 2 year gap since my first and only sub-20.

Sun 9/6 - 9.54 miles @ 8:21/mi

Beautiful weather for this. We'd a big crowd at 8:45, as we set off on the trails. Most were going at a pace (7:45ish/mi) which I and two others had no interest in trying to hang on to, so we tipped along at 8:15/8:20 pace until the Acres Road, when one of the lads headed for home. Myself and Ronan carried on at 8:25 or so across the 15 Acres, past the Magazine Fort and over the Munich hills, till we reached Chesterfield. There, he went left and I went right, so I had 4 miles or so alone at around 8:35/8:40 pace. It suited me to slow down a bit more anyway, as there's a busy week on the horizon! 37.5 miles or so this week, which I think is my highest this year.

Next

The Irish Runner 5 Mile is the main thing next week. Surely I can beat a 5 year old PB (34:08, Terenure 2014), can't I ? Before that, I'm planning to run the BHAA trail race at tempo effort on Wednesday. The week ends with me pacing 30 mins in the Castleknock 5k next Sunday. Hope to see some of you on my rounds! Thanks for reading. J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Whatever way you try to sugarcoat it, parkruns aren't races, and Porterstown is nowhere near as easy a course as it looks. An example. One of our lads went sub-20 in Docklands last year, in what was just his second 5k race. Since then, he's had numerous attempts at cracking sub-20 in Porterstown, so far unsuccessfully (20:02 twice).

Yeah I totally get that J, even though I've never done the Porterstown Parkrun OR entered a 5k race (hoping to put that right by entering the Docklands 5k).I have made several decent stabs at sub-20 Parkruns only to either fall just short or just about pull it off. It's definitely a strange one. But like you say (and as is drummed home every Saturday morning by the RD) "it's a run, not a race"........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

good luck at the Irish runner 5 mile :)

coogy wrote: »
    Yeah I totally get that J, even though I've never done the Porterstown Parkrun OR entered a 5k race (hoping to put that right by entering the Docklands 5k).I have made several decent stabs at sub-20 Parkruns only to either fall just short or just about pull it off. It's definitely a strange one. But like you say (and as is drummed home every Saturday morning by the RD) "it's a run, not a race"........

Thanks K, I'd say you've a very good chance of a sub-20 Docklands. All those early starts show the motivation is there. You're welcome to Porterstown any time :D
    Baby75 wrote: »
    good luck at the Irish runner 5 mile :)

Thanks N, getting close now!

Mon 10/6 - Rest

Tue 11/6 - 5.73 miles @ 9:49/mi

Ok, so I intended to go slow. Maybe not THAT slow.

I went up to Porterstown for this. Place was packed,between little MSBers training along with soccer, GAA, and the usual plethora of dogs and walkers any evening when there's good weather.

Stopped on the first lap, to chat to a clubmate who I hadn't seen in a long time - so long that he congratulated me on the captaincy :D End of the second lap, I'm running by the car park when a little child runs towards her mother, with a dog about 12 feet away from her on one of those "invisible" leads. Of course, I ran into it, and it took ages to free me from the lead, which had wrapped around my leg while the dog growled at me. Left a fair aul mark too (the lead, not the dog) :mad:

Thankfully, as I was still boiling over that episode, a clubmate came down the hill, and she then turned around and joined me for a long lap. Spotted Sheep with his Dunboyne crew, getting ready to set off on their loops as I was leaving. Miles in the bank tonight, if nothing else.

Wed 12/6 - BHAA Trail Race, Phoenix Park Rest

It's been five years since my one and only attempt at the trail race, and the course has changed quite a bit since then. I've all the paraphernalia with me today. Almost all.

Unfortunately, I didn't think of dusting the cobwebs off my spikes. Earlier today, I was thinking back to a session I ran on the grass track in Porterstown in March, when the grass was heavy and soaking, and I had no grip in the runners. I was only planning it to be a progression run anyway, so I'll leave it to others to slip and slide their way around. Irrespective of pacing/progression runs/whatever, officially running four races, with just eight days between the first and last, may not have been the wisest course of action. Instead, I'll do a few easy miles tomorrow, instead of it being a rest day, as was originally planned at the start of the week. Onwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck with the pacing gig tomorrow J, no doubt you’ll do a top class job.

• Advertisement

Cheers B, 9:40/mi apparently. Once I don't burn too many folks off on the downhill I should be grand :D

Thu 13/6 - 4.95 miles @9:06/mi

Easy pace in St Catherine's Park. Even so, I ducked out of doing the short loop. Probably enough in the bank at that stage - that hill at the bottom of the park always takes a bit out of me, regardless of pace.

Fri 14/6 - Rest

Sat 15/6 - Irish Runner 5 Mile, Phoenix Park

Pre Race

I've run this race every year bar one since 2013, with my course PB of 34:23 set on a scorching hot day last year. Today was somewhat different. The Friday night monsoons had passed, but there was still a bit of a breeze around as we warmed up on the Furze Road. Only a PB (currently 34:08) would do this morning.

I hadn't actually registered for the National 5 Mile, but jumped in near the front with the rest of our lads anyway. Bit of a delay waiting for the all clear, and eventually we were off.

Mile 1

Downhill on Chesterfield Avenue for starters. Pace was high as we approached the Phoenix Monument. From last year, I remembered that we would be turning left Continental style, so kept to the right, as Ronan and Bernard were in my sights to the left. Before I even got that far, I sensed that my lace was undone. Our lady captain won the GIR this year, despite having a similar issue. Bit more crowded where I am. Hmmm. As I moved through the field, passing a lot more than being passed, I was becoming more conscious of it, and doubting whether I'd be able to manage for another 30ish minutes. Coming up to the 1 mile marker on the North Road, I spotted skyblue on the side of the road. No shout out?! Appalling :D I guessed correctly that his lady must have been in the vicinity, so he's off the hook. For now :pac:
    Anyway, the lace issue wasn't going to go away. Too much risk of me or someone else standing on it. Very reluctantly, I pulled in at the side of the road and did the needful. F0CK.

Mile 2

How much time did I lose over that? Before the pitstop, I was behind a Lucan runner and Stephen W from Bros Pearse. Looked up the road, and they were maybe 25-30 seconds ahead. Sh!t.

The wind was strong and in our faces, as we turned away from Ashtown Gate and down the hill towards Castleknock roundabout. Having lost the group I was tracking, people I passed were either (a) people who passed me while I was relacing, or (b) people who went too fast at the start. Nobody any use to me, I thought, so I was basically working on my own.

I was still maybe 200 metres from the roundabout, when I saw the Claw turning onto OS Road, having already completed the down and up on Chesterfield. It was a training run for him, as he won unopposed in 24:xx. Meanwhile, I passed Tom F for the second time as we approached the turnaround point at the 2 mile marker. He was just trying to finish this one, so no point in attempting to bring him with me.

Mile 3

It may sound barely possible in a 5 mile race with over 1200 runners, that you could end up running by yourself here. Well that's basically how I found myself for most of this mile. Left onto OS Road, with the wind in my face again, and nobody to tuck in behind, as I was alone about 75-80 metres behind a group of about 10. I managed to pull in one or two of those as we emerged from the dip at the start of Knockmaroon Road, but not really feeling like I was making a great deal of progress.

Mile 4

Definitely feeling the burn in my legs, as we dropped down the hill into the Furry Glen. Bernard had been going backwards for quite a while, and I finally caught up with him at the lake. I tried to bring him with me, but he was clearly struggling (illness, as he told me later) so that wasn't going to happen either. At least I had a few people to run with, as I passed one or two others on the hill coming out, and there were more to target, as I got away from that awkward hairpin bend and started trying to push for home.

Mile 5

I picked the racing line through the twisty Upper Glen Road, making up a place or two by doing so. 1k left as I turned home. Don't know how she managed to spot me, but our treasurer (also running) did so from the other side of the crossroads, and gave me a shout. I didn't feel quite as chipper as I may have looked. Pick it up, last few minutes. Not too much too soon. I can see Sinéad T and a fella from BP up ahead. Passed one or two others. Clock is on 33. No way. Gone into 34. I'm still not over the line! Can't catch S. And I cross the line, and I know I've failed. 34:20, which is 12 seconds slower than my PB. The pitstop proved to be the difference :mad:

Post Race

Just when I thought I was finally going to crack it, one of the stupidest things that could go wrong, did. Unbelievably frustrating, and what's more, as I type I haven't seen or heard of any good 5 milers in or near Dublin, to give me another crack at it. It may sound bizarre considering, but I'm actually feeling more confident about Docklands as a result. The 5 mile PB was definitely there, and I didn't feel remotely spent after it.

Sun 16/6 - 7.54 miles including Castleknock 5k

This was my first ever time to pace a race (paced 23 mins in Porterstown parkrun once). After a recovery/warmup in the grounds of Castleknock College (4.44 miles @ 9:19/mi) I was nervous about getting rid of people too quickly.

I shouldn't have worried. I banked a bit of time on the downhill first mile, and gradually dialled it back, leaving plenty of room for manoeuvre with the hill in the last km. Lots of pacees successfully got under 30, and I got a good few compliments afterwards, which was nice. FWIW, 29:59. Plenty of grub at the finish, to give me energy for the walk home of course :pac:

Next

Docklands 5k on Thursday. Sub 20. Come on. Bring back the old magic! Thanks for reading. J.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Crap about your lace :( At least the form is clearly there though. Best of luck in the Docklands 5k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Ah that’s so annoying about your lace. Well done though. Good luck in Docklands.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,439 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Ah that’s so annoying about your lace. Well done though. Good luck in Docklands.

Unlucky with the lace. But you said you felt great after so maybe not just the lace at fault here? ;) Super pacing job this morning - hope there was no ‘mickey dazzling’ involved (that’s what we call a slow last couple of hundred meters to wind down the clock.) :pac:

See you Thurs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Sounds like plenty of positives to take from yesterday; in great shape heading into the Docklands 5k.......go out there and give it a good lash.

http://www.cillesac.ie/b-5

Just leaving this here.

Thu 13/6
    Sun 16/6 - 7.54 miles including Castleknock 5k

This was my first ever time to pace a race (paced 23 mins in Porterstown parkrun once). After a recovery/warmup in the grounds of Castleknock College (4.44 miles @ 9:19/mi) I was nervous about getting rid of people too quickly.

I shouldn't have worried. I banked a bit of time on the downhill first mile, and gradually dialled it back, leaving plenty of room for manoeuvre with the hill in the last km. Lots of pacees successfully got under 30, and I got a good few compliments afterwards, which was nice. FWIW, 29:59. Plenty of grub at the finish, to give me energy for the walk home of course :pac:

Nicely paced J! Not much of a requirement for pacers at our Griffeen Parkrun but I wouldn't mind giving it a shot for 24/26/30 if they ever put the call out.

Crap about your lace :( At least the form is clearly there though. Best of luck in the Docklands 5k
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Unlucky with the lace. But you said you felt great after so maybe not just the lace at fault here? ;) Super pacing job this morning - hope there was no ‘mickey dazzling’ involved (that’s what we call a slow last couple of hundred meters to wind down the clock.) :pac:

See you Thurs.

Thanks guys, yes, really annoying, but it also brought a couple of other things into focus later on. Looking back, I certainly could have made more of an effort to catch the group on OS Road - it usually helps to have people to work with, especially into the wind. To use a poker analogy, I left it too late to go all in - from the 4 mile mark or before really was the time, especially when I knew I was probably still behind. If I could still smile with a km left of a 5 mile race, the effort levels weren't what they should have been - and the fact that I'm sitting here in absolute comfort, two days and 7 1/2 extra miles later, tells you that there was plenty more there.
    Sounds like plenty of positives to take from yesterday; in great shape heading into the Docklands 5k.......go out there and give it a good lash.

On the flip side, the fact that I ran 34 so "easily", would suggest that a sub 20 is very doable on Thursday. Check everything before setting off!
    OOnegative wrote: »
    http://www.cillesac.ie/b-5

Just leaving this here.

Great stuff B, and also thanks to Bluesquare, who linked it elsewhere on this site. So it seems I may yet have a chance of 5 mile redemption :D
    As it stands, I'm planning to have two shots at beating a weak (71:33) 10 mile PB, set in Kilcock last year. These are the Irish Runner 10 Mile (July) and the Kilcock 10 Mile (August). If I can go to Bettystown, I'll ditch the IR10, and leave all my 10 mile PB eggs in the Kilcock basket. I haven't paid for anything yet.
    Nicely paced J! Not much of a requirement for pacers at our Griffeen Parkrun but I wouldn't mind giving it a shot for 24/26/30 if they ever put the call out.

The times you give would be easy for you. In my own limited experience, runners are usually very appreciative when pacers are around, especially when it comes to parkrun (I ran St Anne's once when pacers were in action). In relation to 'mickey dazzling', I was there a few seconds early, however this gave me the opportunity to encourage the pacees downhill to the finish :pac: Could have done with wearing a cap or visor though - not all the photos are particularly favourable :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Thats a shame about the lace, as you said one of the most simple things that could go wrong, we will have to get you velcro racers! ;)

Its definitely there for you, you were revved up beforehand and all, another crack with the laces checked ;) and your good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

so annoying about the lace I have had that happen once during a race I actually never wore those runners again :D

Good luck on Thursday its there for the taking

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Well done on the race, unlucky with the lace opening but these things happen. It's better that you're in good shape and capable of hitting those PBs. Best of luck Thursday, enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Wouldn't consider your 10 mile weak unless you get stronger the further you go?

The year i ran 19:38 for 5k, i got 33 flat ( very annoying) for 5 miles in Dunboyne. I broke down after that with a hamstring injury.

Dunboyne 5 miler is a great route for a pb.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Thats a shame about the lace, as you said one of the most simple things that could go wrong, we will have to get you velcro racers! ;)

Its definitely there for you, you were revved up beforehand and all, another crack with the laces checked ;) and your good to go.

Cheers D, nice to catch up beforehand, and great to see you starting to clock up the miles on Strava again! The Velcro racers were mentioned once or twice, in among all the stick I got afterwards :pac:
    Baby75 wrote: »
    so annoying about the lace I have had that happen once during a race I actually never wore those runners again :D

Good luck on Thursday its there for the taking

Thanks N, I wouldn't *quite* agree with that sentiment, certainly I'll have to work hard to get it. Straight ahead, no talking :)
    tbukela wrote: »
    Well done on the race, unlucky with the lace opening but these things happen. It's better that you're in good shape and capable of hitting those PBs. Best of luck Thursday, enjoy it.

Thanks T, it definitely showed that I'm *capable* of hitting them. Promises to be a great event, especially if the end result is similar for me :D

The year i ran 19:38 for 5k, i got 33 flat ( very annoying) for 5 miles in Dunboyne. I broke down after that with a hamstring injury.

Dunboyne 5 miler is a great route for a pb.[/QUOTE]

I'd actually be the opposite with increasing distances. My 97 min half marathon PB (from 2016) is also poor IMO.

My PB is 19:43 from that Docklands race, yet although there's only five seconds between our 5k PBs, there's over a minute's worth of deviation in a tiny bit over 3k extra :rolleyes: So a 6:50 average for 5 miles, in my case drops to 7:09 over the 10. Like I say, there's another PB that can definitely be hunted down.

I've run the Dunboyne 5 twice, but not very well on either occasion, blowing up in Mile 4 both times to end up in the 35s.

I tell you what, I'm amazed that nobody has suggested that I run the Clontarf 5 mile in July. Either that, or the more attentive (longer suffering?) readers among you have guessed (correctly!) that I won't ever be going near the summer editions of that HM (or 5 mile) again :eek: In the meantime, I look forward to seeing some of you before and/or after Docklands. Thanks for reading. J.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Cheers D, nice to catch up beforehand, and great to see you starting to clock up the miles on Strava again! The Velcro racers were mentioned once or twice, in among all the stick I got afterwards :pac:

Thanks N, I wouldn't *quite* agree with that sentiment, certainly I'll have to work hard to get it. Straight ahead, no talking :)

Thanks T, it definitely showed that I'm *capable* of hitting them. Promises to be a great event, especially if the end result is similar for me :D

Dunboyne 5 miler is a great route for a pb.[/QUOTE]

I'd actually be the opposite with increasing distances. My 97 min half marathon PB (from 2016) is also poor IMO.

My PB is 19:43 from that Docklands race, yet although there's only five seconds between our 5k PBs, there's over a minute's worth of deviation in a tiny bit over 3k extra :rolleyes: So a 6:50 average for 5 miles, in my case drops to 7:09 over the 10. Like I say, there's another PB that can definitely be hunted down.

I've run the Dunboyne 5 twice, but not very well on either occasion, blowing up in Mile 4 both times to end up in the 35s.

I tell you what, I'm amazed that nobody has suggested that I run the Clontarf 5 mile in July. Either that, or the more attentive (longer suffering?) readers among you have guessed (correctly!) that I won't ever be going near the summer editions of that HM (or 5 mile) again :eek: In the meantime, I look forward to seeing some of you before and/or after Docklands. Thanks for reading. J.

And yet when we go to your 10 mile and half you are 2 mins faster than me. Now i did most my 10 milers in Phoenix park over 6 years ago, Kilcock was a disaster for me, ie 76 mins!!

• Advertisement

Best of luck Thursday evening J, run well!!

Mon 17/6 - Rest

Tue 18/6 - 4.73 miles @9:50/mi

No DOMS or anything like that following the weekend, but after finally cutting our meadow when I got home from work, I was in no mood to go out for a run. It was touch and go for a while whether I'd even bother. When I did get out the door and up to Porterstown, my legs felt tired and heavy - I'd no energy to speak of. Luckily I had a clubmate for company for part of my run.

Wed 19/6 - Rest

Thu 20/6 - Docklands 5k

Pre Race

I'd made no secret of the fact that I was targeting a PB here. I went sub-20 (19:43) in this race two years ago, and I was feeling confident of a return to past glories. I even timed my walk from work to perfection, with a nice 25-30 minute stroll between the showers. Brief chat with aquinn and crockmac, who were sorting out the water, as well as Singer and mister paul (stewards).

After sorting out my paraphernalia in the courtyard, I spoke to coogy at the bag drop. We had similar targets, and he was in good form too. Gradually our crew began to arrive, so once everyone was present we got out for warmup and strides (1 1/2 miles or so).

I spotted Murph_D in the starting pen, and so lined up alongside him and Graham (also targeting sub 20), along with Paddy and Ronan. After numerous requests for people to take off their headphones, Susan finally sent us on our way.

Westbound from the Lime Street junction, following the pacers at a distance of 10-15 metres - close, but not too close. Very bunched there anyway, with pinch points at the traffic island at Lombard Street junction, and roadworks turning onto the bridge over to the IFSC and heading towards the Point. Just behind D as we went under the girders, with the pacers advising us to stay relaxed. Form was good here - shoulders down, not practically beside my ears like they usually are when I'm racing. Through 1k just before the Jeanie Johnston. All good.

Staying in control as we continued towards the Samuel Beckett Bridge junction. The group is still quite large, so I'm maintaining a respectable distance for now. One or two are slipping off, with some others tagging on. I feel like it's hard work, but that I've got the goods, so no need to panic. Pacers are still at the same distance. Through the second girders, and it seems more open as we pass the Central Bank. G is gone out the back at this stage. Can I get a better result?

The leaders are starting to pass on the far side (another win for Somba). How far to that bollard? Hurt is starting to kick in. I decided to keep a tight line to the turnaround point. I think I might have passed D here, as I don't recall seeing him again. It's not as windy heading west as I remember from my previous attempt, but the effort levels are more than cancelling that out. The pacers are still within range. More runners are falling away, but I've still got a gap that I can close when needed. Got a shout from at least two on the other side - one was AGYR, the other wasn't Laura, as I ascertained later on :pac: I'm trying to hang on to a Bros Pearse runner, who I know to see from BHAA races, and who I might be able to work with for the closing stint. Conference Centre, 3k, dig in!

Passing the Samuel Beckett Bridge junction again, somebody's cribbing to a steward along the lines of why are the roads closed. Seriously. Looking back, the fact I even heard this was maybe not a good sign. A clubmate was supporting around here, and gave me a shout. Got a shout from skyblue too. In terms of the actual race, I was getting isolated, and had to start working to try and catch the pacers. I made a bit of progress, but then approaching Seán O'Casey Bridge, I started fading badly. Through the girders again, and I could see the pacers now turning over the bridge about 10-15 seconds ahead. Quick breather as I went over the little hump on the bridge, and down the other side to the 4k mark just after Grant Thornton. Only a few minutes left!

Try as I might, I wasn't making any headway on the run for home. The only people I was passing were runners who'd fallen off the pace group. Why does it seem so much longer now? Seeing 800m to go passing the flats didn't improve my mood. Pain levels were going up and up though. Singer was stewarding with 600m to go. Despite his encouragement, I looked and felt like a spent force. Past the bridge for the last time, up and over the little rise. It felt like a lot more than that at this stage of proceedings. Skyblue was there again near the finish. "A minute to do 300" says he. On another day, perhaps. I'd say it took me considerably longer than that on this occasion. I didn't even have a kick in the legs for a fast finish, trundling across the line in 20:20.

Post Race
    I was feeling very disappointed as I went through. I spotted coogy shortly afterwards. Although he finished ahead of me, he didn't get the sub 20 either. Found clubmates for a photo before getting in for food and drink. While there I found The Black Oil, happy with his PB in the marquee. We weren't there that long, heading to the Ferryman for more scoops - had a quick chat with Adrian in there. Bumped into aquinn, mister paul, laura_ac3 and Singer en route, for more post race musings.

It's actually my fastest 5k since Docklands 2017, and third fastest ever, so maybe not as bad as I thought initially. scotindublin read my mind on Strava afterwards :pac: I've signed up for the St Cocas 5k in Kilcock next Friday, for a quick return to sub-20 chasing. I've also signed up for the Bettystown 5 Mile, so I've abandoned my plans to run the IR10. Thanks for reading. J.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Great detailed report as usual J. Never bumped into you to say hello

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

That last KM was a form of torture that kept on giving :eek: I had to slow considerably along there as the heat was making me very lightheaded. Well done that's still a fantastic result!!!

You'll have to continue your investigations to find out who the second shout was from :D. Was sorry I couldn't hang around but had to get home to Woody.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

What was the official distance? I'm hearing it might have been slightly over the 5k.

Edit: Nice report by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭ariana`

I'm very impressed by this...
    I didn't even have a kick in the legs for a fast finish

it must be very satisfying to know you left everything out there even if the time wasn't what you hoped for, it'll make it all the sweeter when you get it

Well done.

Well done J, not the result you were hoping for but its a solid run and one that will stand to you heading into the summer running season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Still a very solid effort J and one that will definitely stand to you in Kilcock next Friday.

J, I've received my fair share of "chin up" comments today as I imagine you have. Hope you've gotten over your disappointment enough to realise that you still ran a very respectable time. Best of luck next Friday!!!

• Advertisement

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Great detailed report as usual J. Never bumped into you to say hello

Thanks D, and well done on your PB.
    Surprised I didn't see more from here around the place, between bag drops, marquee etc. Your gang were flying in Porterstown on Tuesday btw.
    That last KM was a form of torture that kept on giving :eek: I had to slow considerably along there as the heat was making me very lightheaded. Well done that's still a fantastic result!!!

You'll have to continue your investigations to find out who the second shout was from :D. Was sorry I couldn't hang around but had to get home to Woody.

Thanks AM, it did get fairly warm all right, but I don't think that was the reason for my fade. Certainly it wasn't remotely as fierce as Clontarf. Too lazy to chase up the source of other shout(s) this evening :D I was quite focussed by my standards, hence I didn't pick out so many on the "other side".
    What was the official distance? I'm hearing it might have been slightly over the 5k.

Edit: Nice report by the way!

Thanks, glad you liked the report. Happier ending next week maybe! Not sure of the distance, as I usually race without a watch. I'm old school like that, as well as old :D
    ariana` wrote: »
    I'm very impressed by this...

it must be very satisfying to know you left everything out there even if the time wasn't what you hoped for, it'll make it all the sweeter when you get it

Well done.

Thanks E ! One of the stewards took some photos near the end, including one of me giving it the full works. Just wasn't there, in terms of pace. Effort levels were much higher than my at times parkrunesque workrate in the 5 mile, which is encouraging for future races.
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Well done J, not the result you were hoping for but its a solid run and one that will stand to you heading into the summer running season.

Great stuff B, like I alluded to above, I'm happier with this performance than the IR5. Something (else) has to go right in terms of PBs.
    Still a very solid effort J and one that will definitely stand to you in Kilcock next Friday.

Thanks C, great call by yourself in relation to this. I definitely recall you getting a PB in that race one year, as did Adrian, IIRC. Looking forward to it!
    J, I've received my fair share of "chin up" comments today as I imagine you have. Hope you've gotten over your disappointment enough to realise that you still ran a very respectable time. Best of luck next Friday!!!

Absolutely K, I'm over it. Not everything is just going to fall into your lap, in spite of best efforts. So it's all good, and in just a week's time I'll have another crack at it. Fingers crossed that everything will click into place.

Nice to catch up with you again. Hopefully you won't have too long to wait for another sub 20 attempt. If no races fit into your schedule, possibly St Annes parkrun could be worth a try? Pacers last Saturday of each month, including sub 20.

Advertisement