Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leader Of The (Mid) Pack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Cross country isn't about time :) Nothing wrong with winning any race, you can only race against who ever turns up on the day :cool: but if want to test yourself against a higher standard of athlete obviously the autumn open is the one to go for

Absolutely. For me it's all about the positions in cross. As I haven't run this race before, I can only go on last year's times to get some kind of marker. Whereas with the Novices races, my aim is to improve on the previous attempt.
    You will be happy to know that you gave me an early 1-0 lead in out weekly how many people can you meet that you know on our run game; the little things we do to make the miles pass.

Horrible morning for a run and definitely hoping for something nicer in 2 weeks; it would be tough hanging around the start line in those conditions.

Thanks C, glad to be of assistance :pac: hadn't heard of that one before. Yeah that morning was awful - nothing as bad on marathon day in the years that I can remember. Hanging around is the worst part of course - even on a dry day you're just dying to get going!

Nothing really to report so far this week. So much so that I'm questioning the wisdom of entering the Abbotstown race. I've also entered the Leinster Novices XC, which takes place six days later. Not sure if the body will be able to adequately manage the turnaround from a long (7500 metres) and testing XC race, even though I believe the course in Gowran is a lot easier on the legs (shorter distance too - 6k).

But before all of that....I will be pacing 25 minutes as part of Porterstown parkrun's 4th birthday celebrations, taking place this Saturday. Hope to see some of you there :D

Wed 16/10 - Club session, Porterstown Park

The spotlights were set up and all before tonight's session even started. We had daylight for the warmup and the first couple of reps (8/4/8/4) but by the end there was a bit of guesswork involved on my part, even with the lights and the extra marker poles around the track. Happy enough with how it went overall. Expecting big things from the marathon men next week!

Thu 17/10 - 4.94 miles @9:15/mi

I didn't fancy three Carpo loops in the dark, so I more or less cogged a run from one of the Porterstown Panthers - basically a combo of two of my old D15 run routes. Regardless of where I got the idea, I wasn't really in the mood for that one either, as yet another run started in daylight and ended in darkness. Miles in the bank, I suppose :rolleyes:

Fri 18/10
    - Rest

Sat 19/10 - Happy Birthday Porterstown

With a beady eye on the cross country the next day, I offered to pace 25 rather than 23 minutes for this one. Thankfully, the aforementioned Panther/Donore speedy proved to be more than up to pacing 23. Great buzz with all the VHI crew, with a warmup by David Gillick (running his 50th parkrun), and yoga at the finish (I didn't partake this time). There were also oodles of cakes and fruit, as we broke through 100,000 kms run at Porterstown. As for me, well the start was a bit chaotic, especially with all the extra bodies, so I decided to speed up for a minute or two to get myself out of it. After that, it was a case of keeping close to the target, and keeping the pacees' spirits high. I got a good few in under 25, and although I thought I'd gone over the time, it turns out I got around in 24:58. Nice one. I've been involved with Porterstown parkrun since the very first run four years ago now, and to see it progress through the years is something I'm very proud of. Plus I've got to meet a lot of new people as a result, whom otherwise I would probably never have met. Here's to another successful year!

Sun 20/10 - Autumn Open XC, Abbotstown

It was with a fair amount of nervousness that I took the "scenic" driving route to Abbotstown (driving anywhere near Blanch SC on Sunday afternoons fills me with dread). Number collection was straightforward, and I was early enough to watch the finish of the last couple of underage races, as well as cheering on our women in the race(s) directly before my own (Senior, Masters, and Junior Women started together).

With all of that having passed, I got in a few strides to supplement my warmup lap. The starting pen was fairly hectic in the few minutes before the start, and I was hoping that skipping birthday drinks with the Porterstown parkrun gang might make the difference between finishing last and not. Lots of serious looking athletes there. I'd spotted "the other" BG as I was heading in to collect my number, so I'd have someone to suffer with at least. Wouldn't I ?

Lap 1

This was 5 x 1500m laps for Seniors and Masters, with Juniors covering 4 x 1500m laps. Advice from K and AJ beforehand was to start off slow. Well, when the gun went, the field tore off down the hill, and I was very soon left behind. Before we even got into the woods, the last three were a Mullingar guy, me, and a Navan runner. No sign of BG. Ground was fine on the downhill part, but then we turned into the section around the graveyard, which had a bit of climbing, and more very sticky conditions underfoot. Just keep going through here. 5 laps, remember. Up a hill on the way out, down again, and uphill into the breeze. Navan man overtook me along here, and without having to look behind, I knew I was last. This can't be happening. Not today. Great support from clubmates (as well as some others) around the course - this isn't always the norm, as most tend to head away when the underage races are finished.

Lap 2

Like I said, it was me, Navan and MH as the last three. However, coming down the hill at the start of this lap, I had renewed hope. Coming out of the first short little section through the trees, it seemed like Navan had overextended himself in trying to get away from Mullingar, who retook the place. Maybe I can double up that disappointment. Got a great shout from a clubmate coming down the hill "Don't worry about other lads, just run your own race". This would prove more important later on, but it also had an immediate benefit. Navan was struggling through the heavy section around the graveyard, and while keeping it steady and not panicking, I made up a place. YES! Through the hilly, windy section and left onto the home straight. Still got three more to go.

Lap 3

I didn't even get down the hill at the start of the lap, before I got lapped by Efrem Gidey, who also lapped me in the course of winning the Dublin Novices two weeks ago. Dare I say it, I'm the only one of the two of us who's aware of that stat :pac: Anyway, there was a big train behind him, and trying to find a line where I wouldn't be trampled on became a concern. In my opinion, the trick here was to try and keep my own pace consistent, while all the speedsters were lapping me. Attempt running at their pace, and I risked being passed back by the Navan athlete. I had no idea how far behind he was, and I didn't dare look back to check. It's not like the XC course in Navan, where, due to all the twists and turns, you have ample opportunity to check on such matters, without it being so obvious :D Two laps. Keep the head.

Lap 4

Still getting lapped along here, although it seemed as if I was making up a bit of ground on the Mullingar runner. Nothing like it to show you where you are in the grand scheme of things. Like I say, everything is relative! I wasn't feeling too philosophical as I was lumbering around though. The heavy ground around the graveyard really took a toll on the legs here, and my feet nearly got stuck once or twice. Loving the MSB runners though. I've got great use out of them through the years - thanks S ! Come on, get through the hills and out of the wind. Turn for home. Where's the Navan man? Is he still running?

Lap 5

"Still a few athletes out on the course"

I heard this as we approached the bottom of the hill at the start of the lap. I assume they mean well, but I for one could do without having it announced for the benefit of all and sundry. There's defined gaps between the races for a reason - without being aware of actual time elapsed, I'd a fair idea we weren't making total fools of ourselves here. It reminded me of the end of this year's National Masters XC out in Dundalk IT, when the announcer stopped calling out finishers, even though I had about half a lap to go (quite a few others hadn't finished either, might I add). Anyway, being more p!$$3d off maybe gave me a bit of a boost going through the forest. I was making up more ground on Mullingar - maybe I could catch another? All the while, I was conscious of the possibility of Navan catching me if I went too hard too early. If he hadn't stepped off. Don't look back to check. Just in case! Feel the pain getting out of the forest and into the hills. Get a shout from Mr Skinny along here. Out of the wind. Come on, this is it. Catching Mullingar. Hurry up. Where's the Navan runner? Can't hear him. Can't catch the Mullingar athlete either. Push for the line anyway. Clock goes through 34. Is that a PB? Don't worry about that for now. Turn around. There's the Navan runner coming down the straight. Phew! I waited for him to go through the line, and thanked him for staying with it and not stepping off (even though he surely knew he was last - although I didn't say that) He certainly kept me motivated!

Position: 95/96 Masters Men
    Time: 34:10 (PB)
    Lap times (from MyRunResults): 6:36 / 6:51 / 6:57 / 6:55 / 6:53

Surprisingly consistent lap times there, apart from getting caught up in the opening lap madness. I actually ran 7.5k once before. That was a hungover (34:50) charity run for Ramble Aid in 2014 - three Griffeen parkrun laps in reverse, starting and finishing in the opposite corner of the park. So I suppose I'll have another PB, if it's going! Definitely the highest standard race I've ever taken part in.

As an aside, tonight I had a look at the times for the "beginners" Spar XC 4.1k. Three sub 15s in the "under 26" race, and a sub 17 in the "over 26". Seems like quite a few were looking for "easy pickings" :rolleyes: If that's what keeps you going, fine, who am I to judge. Me, I still think I prefer taking part in tough races, or if you like, being a small fish in a big pond!

Next

I've entered the Leinster Novices XC, taking place in Gowran on Saturday afternoon. More XC races in the pipeline, including the BHAA Irish Life XC, taking place in Santry on November 16 - no venue has been announced for National Novices as I type. I'm only planning one more road race this year - the Jingle Bells on December 7. All of the above is, of course, subject to amendment! Thanks for reading. J.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Fair play J, no messing about there, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Well done, you seemed very determined throughout!
    Will actually be in Gowran myself next Sat - young lad is running U16. I'm afraid we won't be able to stay to cheer you on as we've to high tail it up to Dublin for husband to collect his marathon number.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Well done J, great running.

• Advertisement

I'm going to throw this one in regardless, before all the heroic tales of DCM derring do justifiably relegate it to the back pages of the logs :D

Mon 21/10 - 3.96 miles @ 9:23/mi

Easy laps of Porterstown to get the legs moving again. Barely a sinner around, in near total contrast to the birthday celebrations of two days previous.

Tue 22/10 - Rest

Wed 23/10 - Club session, Porterstown Park

Not too many around under the lights tonight, as none of our marathon gang were present. 5 x (4 mins/90s rec) was the session tonight. As I was racing again this weekend, I was given the option of running four 4s, which I took, using the time for the middle rep as a jog recovery. Energy levels were reasonable anyway.

Thu 24/10 - Rest

Life kind of got in the way here. It happens. Nothing sinister, just time consuming :)

Fri 25/10 - Nothing

I had planned a shakeout in the evening, but with the rain belting down, I decided that it might turn out to be counterproductive.

Sat 26/10 - Leinster Novices XC, Gowran

Although (because?) I hadn't done a whole pile in the six days since the Open, I was feeling confident that I could do better than last year's 110/115, in the corresponding event in Navan - the 97/112 in Dublin Novices adding some support to my argument.

Following a volunteering stint at Porterstown, I pointed the car towards Kilkenny, and arrived in plenty of time despite having to stop for a sangwich en route. Quick number collection, and wished Dubgal (another DCM Novices mentor of yesteryear) well in her race. I got a warmup lap in - twisty, but not as many turns as Dunboyne or Navan, and a few drags and drops, but nothing outrageously steep. However, in patches the ground was very heavy, with one or two not having any way around them. Luckily I'd brought an extra pair of socks, otherwise I'd have been waiting for over half an hour, in soaking feet, before our race got started. Would I be rewarded for this forward planning? Had a chat with HelenAnne at the start, before her race got away.

Eventually, we got called to the start for our own race. This was a 6k race - 3 x 2k laps.

Lap 1

Downhill start - nothing like Abbotstown, but downhill nonetheless, with the first squelchy patch on the inside, taking us to the lowest point on the course. Already, I felt like I'd no energy at all, and before we'd got out of the first field, I found myself in last place again. Most of the first field was ok, but in the second field you just had to shove through a lot of it. Long downhill about 3/4 way through the lap, but at the end was the heaviest patch of the course, and a little drag away from it, before downhill on better ground to finish the lap. I heard one of the stewards say "That's it" as I passed from the second field back into the first. Yep.

Lap 2

In reality there's four of us in this little battle. Myself, Kilmore and Sli Cualann were going back and forth for most of the first lap. I'd dig myself out of last, then the other fella would respond. Second lap the fourth member of the quartet (Sportsworld) seemed to be coming back to us. Hang in there. Turn, slight uphill, turn, slight downhill. Second field, start digging in again, through the slop. I'd got ahead of all three by the top of the course, but coming down the hill, Kilmore and Sli Cualann had got back ahead of me. Nearly sinking in the quagmire at the bottom of the hill. See some of the speedies passing as they enter the second field. Well I'm not going to be lapped today!

Lap 3

Once more to get through this. I can't close the gap to Kilmore and Sli Cualann. How much of a gap have I got to Sportsworld? Winding my way through the twisty but firm ground of the bottom field, I dared take a look. I'd actually built up a decent lead on him, maybe half a minute. Keep digging in, because that might change just as quickly. Fight to the top of the course. Not much speed being gained on the downhill, but Sportsworld seems to be broken, so I squelch my way through the muck, before downhill and then a right turn to the finish. Clock is going towards 27, but the truth is I'm not really bothered about beating it, as Sli Cualann is too far ahead.

Cross the line in 27:04. Sportsworld kept going. Phew!

Post Race

Was three high quality XC races in a three week time span too much for me to take on? Certainly I can say that I felt completely out of puff almost right from the start of this one - it was just a relief to complete the thing. Delighted to get home and clean up myself and my gear.

Thankfully, no more racing for a while. I'm planning to run the BHAA Irish Life XC, in Santry on November 16, although I'll probably throw in at least one parkrun before that. Just to (dis)prove the notion that I might still have a bit of speed in my legs.

Sun 27/10 - Dublin City Marathon

I know you actually read this log, and hence you didn't make the mistake of tracking me today (those of you who weren't running, that is) :D Just thought I'd throw that one in anyway :pac:

What *actually* happened, was a slow shuffle around Carpenterstown (3.59 miles@9:34/mi) in my DCM 2016 finishers top, feeling a bit sad that I wasn't lining up in the 2019 version. A perfect day for marathon running, if only I'd done the training. C'est la vie. It didn't stop me heading to Castleknock for marathon supporting, before heading home and tracking a stack of people, from here, my club, and elsewhere. Some amazing performances out there, and all should be very proud of what they've done, not just in their training, but on the day itself.

As for me, my marathoning days are over. I just don't feel like I have the dedication to put so many miles in over a relatively long period. I'd decided in early September that this one wasn't going to work out, so the Ratoath HM, six weeks ago now, looks like it will be the high point this year. That race was itself sandwiched by trips to Cork and Portugal - while I did get a few miles in, they were nothing like the distance or intensity required in those vital weeks.

Don't worry, still plenty of other races, just shorter ones :D Probably two or three more this year - apart from Irish Life, there will hopefully be another crack at Jingle Bells, and maybe I'll revisit the National Novices XC (Sunday December 15). Venue hasn't been announced as yet. As I type, I don't think I'd fancy travelling too far for that one, so we'll see. Thanks for reading. J.

TL:DR - Not a DCM race report :pac:

Mon 28/10 - 6.01 miles @9:31/mi

With no marathon in the legs, and having kept my boozing solely to the duration of Liverpool v Spurs (plus about 15 mins :D), it was quite easy to get out for a bank holiday shuffle in the morning sunshine.

Tue 29/10 - Rest

Wed 30/10 - Club session, Porterstown Park

Fully under lights tonight, with plenty of white marker poles to boot. To my surprise, two of our marathon men were in attendance. Hence, the session was quite an easy alternating (pace/jog 400) x 5. With the lads taking it easy, I had the rare experience of going ahead of Kenny, while pacing one of the newbies around. Job done for me anyway.

Thu 31/10 - Rest

I've really enjoyed reading through all the DCM reports - some great stories in there, especially with the background and internal dialogue included. Finally got around to posting on the logs, after the local kids had finished knocking on our door for Hallowe'en.

October Review

My October began in sunny Portugal, with a wonderfully enjoyable run in the Vilamoura area, including a trip to the Euro XC course, and the beach (again). Of course, by that time I'd already decided to bin off DCM, so I felt less guilty about drinking what I wanted, when I wanted, particularly where holidays were concerned.

Even so, my first race of the month was a big improvement on last year's Dublin Novices XC. The ground wasn't quite as firm as last year, but I enjoyed my battles over the Munich hills, and progress from 108/112 to 97/112 was the outcome - in a faster time too, for what that's worth in relation to cross country.

Different story again in relation to the Autumn Open XC in Abbotstown. The standard of the masters was very high anyway, but then you had to factor in the fact that it was a five lap race, and also the senior and junior races were taking place alongside ours. I enjoyed the challenge of not finishing last, but you wouldn't want to be too sensitive about being lapped or anything like that. Seat of the pants stuff, but I got through (95/96) on what was by and large quite favourable ground, with some nice ups and downs, and not too many corners - I think six in the 1500m lap. Many other XC courses could take note :pac:

The final instalment of my October cross country trilogy, the Leinster Novices XC in Gowran, was desperate. From the gun, I felt flat, and to be honest I couldn't have had any complaints had I finished last this time. It took a fair amount of willpower to finally wear down one opponent, having lost my battles with the only other two who existed in my orbit (apart from the first 200 metres). The course had some extremely heavy patches, so much so that the MSB runners were fully covered in muck. The fact that I was one of the tailenders throughout, in the last race of the day (various underage races and Novice Women preceded us) didn't help over the three laps. Real cross country, you might say. In spite of that, I had to laugh at the fact that I ran this race quicker than I covered the first four of my five laps of Abbotstown :pac:

Other than that, it was a pleasure to be involved in Porterstown parkrun's 4th birthday celebrations. I'm not too bad at the pacing gigs, it seems, and I'll probably end up doing a lot more over the coming months. Overall in October, I only ran on 18 days out of 31, which will have to improve if I'm to have any more good results this year.

Races: 3 (YTD 20)
    parkruns: 2 (19)
    Mileage: 93 (1141)

Next

I am more than happy to skip the Dublin Seniors XC, taking place this Sunday in Santry. Whatever about Novices, I know I'm in way over my head there - I don't need to run 10k, while probably being lapped by everyone else (one 1000m lap + 6 x 1500m laps) to prove it. Instead, I'll wait for the BHAA Irish Life XC to take on that course. If nothing else, it should be a welcome return to mid pack status :pac:

Beyond that, although I haven't entered it as I type, Jingle Bells is looming large. A 5k PB seems long overdue, as the existing one (Docklands 2017) is now well over two years old.

Regardless of the venue (TBC) for National Novices, I'll have to think carefully about entering that one, especially if I'm not training well over the coming weeks. Remember, there'll be a lot of marathoners coming back into the mix, on top of what I had to contend with in Dublin and Leinster Novices. Perhaps the fear can motivate me to train better? Thanks for reading. J.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ever been director at a XC event?

Ever been director at a XC event?

Not a chance B. Porterstown RD is as good as it gets for me on that front - I'm back in the director's chair on the 30th.

Fri 1/11 - Rest

Sat 2/11 - Club session, Phoenix Park

Feeling a bit more energetic than usual, as we met the coach at White's Gate. Nice handy shuffle over to the Furry Glen, before the session itself - a hills special. Starting from the bottom where the trails meet, up one hill, down again, straight across and up the other. 16 hills in total. I ran strongly on the way up, while getting my breather on the way down - one of the hills had a lot of leaves covering the trail. Up to about 12 I was grand, but tired a bit in the other four - all the cross country racing seemingly giving me an extra boost on the climbs.

Sun 3/11 - 10.33 miles @8:38/mi

Bit tired after a poker night, so I arrived at Castleknock Gate for 8:45 rather than 8. Seven of us headed away on a (thankfully) dry morning. AMK and RHG (both starting their LRs) pulled clear on the descent to Chapelizod Gate, and after three miles, the other four (finishing their LRs) turned off the S bends and headed back to Castleknock Gate via the Acres. I decided to stay with them, rather than trying to catch A and S.

I left the others at Castleknock Gate, with about 5.2 miles completed, and decided to concoct another route to bring me to 10 miles. This took me down the North Road, across from the Hole In The Wall through the Phoenix roundabout, back down the Acres and in and out of the Furry Glen. I was going to stick to the roads, but then I saw a load of runners coming from the trail by Knockmaroon Gate, so I reckoned the terrain would be dry enough to head that way instead. Quick hello to Adrian as I passed him on the trail. Seemingly I passed him on the North Road as well, but I didn't spot him then, as he was in the middle of a massive gang from Sportsworld. There were lots of marathon tops on display throughout the park - far more than I expected, considering it was only a week ago! Feeling fine at the end of it, as my pace had gradually dropped to over 9 min miles. My longest run since the Ratoath HM, believe it or not. Time to go about improving that!

In other news, I finally got around to entering Jingle Bells. My last shot at a PB this year. 2019 has been fairly good to me on that front, so it would be nice to finish it in style.

As regards DCM 2020, yes I got the offer of a place via e-mail, but no, I haven't accepted "yet". The FOMO part of me is saying "One more year", whereas the realist in me (yes, it's in there somewhere!) is saying that the same rules apply, particularly in relation to training, eating, drinking, and everything else that goes towards preparing well for a marathon. And it's still 90 quid - no early bird this time! Beidh le feiceáil, mar a deirtear. Thanks for reading. J.

Mon 4/11 - Rest

I let the DCM 2020 offer slide. I'd love to think that paying 90+ euro would give me an extra push to train properly for DCM, but I couldn't guarantee it, so all things considered I'm happy with my decision.

Tue 5/11 - 5.84 miles @ 9:41/mi

Maintaining a very slow pace - one lap of Tír na nÓg to start, then three times around the Carpenterstown loop.

Wed 6/11 - Club session, Porterstown Park

After all the rain, the grass was very wet, but the ground wasn't as heavy as I thought it would be. Another round of one lap on/one lap off x 5. I'd a bit more speed in the legs than last week, getting a decent pick up for the last quick lap.

Thu 7/11 - 5.66 miles @ 9:20/mi

Another brutal, wet night. It was one of those evenings where the longer you sit at home thinking about getting out, the less likely you are to do it. So I didn't delay too long after coming home from work. The route around D15 wouldn't inspire you too much either. All the same, I felt a lot better afterwards than had I not done anything.

Fri 8/11 - Rest

Sat 9/11 - Malahide parkrun

I had a plan of sorts to get a hard parkrun in, to get a better idea of where I am for Jingle Bells. The car was available from early, so I had plenty of time to drive across for Malahide's 7th birthday celebrations. Easy warmup lap, before chats with HelenAnne (running) and The Black Oil (volunteering), among others.

The original ED was stepping down, so there was a handover announcement as well as all the usual parkrun briefings. I had to step out on to the wet grass to find a better starting position, but thankfully it wasn't long more before we were away. I spent a lot of the first lap following a guy pushing a buggy, with musical accompaniment, through the pack. After about a km I cleared him and decided to make a bit more progress. So much for the hard parkrun plan, but hey ho. Approaching the end of the short lap, I could see HelenAnne at the head of a group of about seven or eight.

The second lap began with me picking off the group one by one as we entered the forest and headed downhill towards the lowest point on the course. Few puddles through here, but I was in no mood to try stepping around them. I passed HA at the bottom of the hill, at the start of the open section before you go back into the forest. With that, I eased off. In smaller parkruns I could get away with such messing, however seconds later H and several others had passed me back. For the last km, I decided to push again. I caught H and the rest just before we re-emerged from the forest and rejoined the golf course loop. A couple more runners came back to me, and for the last 500 I picked up the pace again, to give me just enough breathing room to stay clear of a horde of chasers. I'd enough time to chill out on the grass, enjoying cakes and Haribo jellies, before heading for home, deciding to skip Avoca on this occasion.

Time: 20:56
    Position: 38/372 (7th M45)

Sun 10/11 - 11 miles @ 8:30/mi (approx.)

I'd an earlier than normal start, as SIL was taking part in the Remembrance Run, and my wife and I had volunteered to support, while looking after her little one. This involved about 2.5 miles of a loop to Castleknock village, up to the M50 and back, before meeting a newbie for 8. Loads more for 8:45 (including AMK) so the lad had a bit of a baptism of fire trying to remember all the names :pac: The phone died as the group approached Castleknock, hence the overall distance and time are guestimates. SIL enjoyed her run, as did Murph_D, who I managed to spot sailing through among the crowds. Pints watching the Reds beat Man City in the evening topped off a good day's work. Hope to see some of you this Saturday in Santry. Thanks for reading. J.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks to the Malahide results I now know what MSB stands for. I see Hehir wears that shirt too.

Mon 11/11 - Rest

Tue 12/11 - 4.67 miles @8:53/mi

A couple of long stoppages, on a pretty dull D15 route. Chilly too, but it didn't deter a sizeable Porterstown Panthers contingent, who I passed in Clonsilla. Thankfully, I got home just before another power cut. The Panthers weren't as fortunate, and their founder had a bad fall in the pitch darkness.

Wed 13/11 - Club session, Porterstown Park

It lashed rain all day, and was still coming down as I trundled up to Porterstown, complete with cross country spikes. I really enjoyed the fartlek - nice to have a bit of extra grip in the wet :D Feeling surprisingly good after it.

Thu 14/11 - 5.34 miles @8:26/mi

Three Carpo loops, which turned into a progression run of sorts. I wanted to get all my other bits and pieces done before Ireland v NZ (soccer), which may or may not have had something to do with it :pac:

Fri 15/11 - Rest

Sat 16/11 - BHAA Irish Life XC, Santry

Pre Race

Arrived with lots of time to spare, having pre registered, and the BBQ was already smoking on the occasion of the BHAA's 40th anniversary race. Had a chat with AJ, before picking up my number and getting all my layers sorted out.

Quite a few heavy patches, as I discovered on my warmup lap with Paddy. I was expecting this anyway, as the ground was very heavy for the Dublin Seniors two weeks ago, and there had been a lot more rain since. Nice chat with FBOT before the start.

Diet hasn't been great the last few weeks, but even so, I thought it was more than realistic to target a top half finish. Last year, I was the man in the middle (115/229) in firm and dry conditions. Of course, this time there wasn't the pressure to avoid a last place finish, like in the Autumn Open and Leinster Novices. We didn't have a team today either, so I really was running for myself.

Lap 1

Cleared the start area fairly quickly, starting a long way back so as not to get caught up in the usual madness at the start. I nearly managed it anyway, as a chap fell a bit to my left, and brought down another fella. It's a nice start to the lap anyway, flat followed by a fast downhill to the bottom of the course. Straight away I was making up places, and this continued up the first drag along the back of the course. Interesting to see who would go straight through the puddles etc, as opposed to circumnavigating the heavy ground. I plotted a path along the right, which I thought would keep me out of the worst of it. Nice dry section alongside the wall, then a heavy patch before the turn onto the sticky finishing straight. Great to hear the support from John Todd and Caprica along here.

Lap 2

I tried to keep it controlled on the downhill, before pushing again on the drag, making up more places in so doing. Caught Tom on the downhill nonetheless. Surprised at that, but today I would take what I thought I could get. Caught a few more near the end of the long drag, as I was feeling relatively comfortable in the heavy ground. Halfway and still feeling in decent shape.

Lap 3

Still gaining places, although I was having to work hard enough for them. Plenty of familiar faces along here, some of whom I hadn't beaten in quite a while, so that gave more satisfaction even through what's usually a very tough third lap of four. Can't look behind you on this course though, so I couldn't dwell on anyone in particular. Less than 7 minutes a lap. I eased up a bit on the hill away from the wall, before picking up the pace to complete the lap. I wasn't lapped, so I was thinking, I'm not doing that bad. Few more minutes.

Lap 4

There's a photo on the BHAA Facebook page, which shows a stack of people lining up behind me. I actually passed most of them in the middle laps, yet I hadn't really pulled too far away from them. Of course, I was blissfully unaware of this, as I continued to chase down targets. Not long left, hard down the hill now. Girl ahead of me got a shout "7th female" from someone we lapped. Caught and passed her near the end of the drag. There was more lapped traffic through the chicane, but in reality none of this affected my result. Down and up, in and out of the slop. Full throttle from now to the finish. Not quite. I eased off as we turned into the finish area, being passed back by three or four. Don't know if I'd passed Mr Skinny previously or not, but either way he beat me. Got a shout from Jim as I approached the line, which I acknowledged before I crossed, just ahead of the 7th F.

Position: 99/216
    Time: 27:12 (16/20 M45)

Post Race

I didn't know for sure until much later, but even at the finish I was quite confident that I'd achieved the target I'd set for myself pre race. A minute and a half slower than last year, but it just shows you the difference between a fast track and a slow, heavy one, even over the short(ish) 6k distance. I got some BBQ grub into me, as well as coffee, cakes and biscuits upstairs, before heading for home and a badly needed shower (the hot water had run out - can't have everything!)

Overall, I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. Best position in my three attempts, and also I beat Paddy for the first time in those three, so lots of club bragging rights, you would think. We were totally overshadowed, (deservedly) however, by Kate's significant contribution to a gold medal effort on the Irish O35s team, in the British and Irish Masters XC races, at Aintree racecourse of all places. It is what it is :pac: I was back in Santry again last night, to watch "The Irishman" with my wife, so I haven't even had a beer yet :D

Sun 17/11 - 7.24 miles @8:40/mi

I felt better than expected this morning, so I arrived at Castleknock Gate for 8:45, thinking I might even get 10 miles in. A dozen or so of us headed away. I was more than content to hang out at the back of the group. This pace was actually faster than I'd normally run recovery on my own, but I didn't feel under pressure at any stage. Four of us stayed together for the loop, including a newbie. Funny enough, I wouldn't have spotted Seán Hehir in PP that often before, yet today he passed us three times in our stint of a little over an hour :D Back to Castleknock Gate, and I didn't feel a glaring need to complete 10 miles, so I decided to leave it at that. It always feels so much easier having company for these runs. Overall, a good week for me.

Next

Jingle Bells is looming ever larger, with cross country out of the way (for now). One more 2019 PB? Three weeks. Apart from that, some of you may have seen that the National Novices XC has been fixed for Dunboyne. Easy location to reach (for me) but I'm not a fan of the course. The hips will need to be in good shape for all the twists and turns in that one :D Thanks for reading. J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Well done - that was great going yesterday! Sounds like it wasn't even too excruciating? Great result anyway!

How was The Irishman? I'm keen to see it but the 3 1/2 hours is hard to get psyched up for...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Great effort yesterday J; a few from the club ran it and I heard good reports.

You will be in good shape for Jingle Bells this year; I won't be around for it this year unfortunately.

eyrie wrote: »
    Well done - that was great going yesterday! Sounds like it wasn't even too excruciating? Great result anyway!

How was The Irishman? I'm keen to see it but the 3 1/2 hours is hard to get psyched up for...

Thanks C, I had a bit left at the end anyway - had I gone all out for the line, I'd have finished a few places higher. But I know it's there, once training goes well.

Regarding The Irishman, I wouldn't think too much about the 3 1/2 hours, just keep an eye on what's in front of you :) We got through it quite comfortably. Best of luck, and enjoy it, if you decide to check it out!
    Great effort yesterday J; a few from the club ran it and I heard good reports.

You will be in good shape for Jingle Bells this year; I won't be around for it this year unfortunately.

Thanks C, great to be back to pressure free racing! We'll hopefully have a good few from the club racing JB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Apart from that, some of you may have seen that the National Novices XC has been fixed for Dunboyne. Easy location to reach (for me) but I'm not a fan of the course. The hips will need to be in good shape for all the twists and turns in that one :D Thanks for reading. J.

What? I can't think why... :D. When is that on? I have been very lax in supporting duties recently (missed some races on there last Sunday I think..)

Sunday December 15. I'm still not declared for that one. It is better for spectators though, as it's easier to cheer on people from several points on the course. But you know that already :D

Mon 18/11 - Rest

Tue 19/11 - 7.08 miles @8:40/mi

I had a day off work, so I decided to use it to my advantage. Instead of the usual wintertime Tuesday night trundle around the D15 estates, I headed over to St Catherine's Park for some lunchtime peace and quiet, with some decent hills included. Very windy in parts, particularly coming down from the dog run, but overall I was quite comfortable at this pace. Not too many people around either (only one invisible lead!) which was another positive.

Wed 20/11 - Club session, Porterstown Park

Purely from a convenience point of view, I decided to have dinner before rather than after the club training in Porterstown. I'd a fair idea this would cause problems at some stage, but then the session difficulty was also increased from previous weeks. It was now (400 off, 800 on) x 5.

The track was dry tonight - no need to throw on the spikes this time. I was quite strong in the early reps, but then the effects of eating so close to run time really began to bite. My body was cramping more and more as reps 4 and 5 progressed, to the extent that by the end I was over 150 metres behind the group I'd been leading out earlier. Glad to get home after it all, and let my stomach settle.

Thu 21/11 - 4.89 miles @9:13/mi

Not much to report here. All my splits were over 9 minutes, and quite consistent, even with all the stoppages at road crossings etc, on another windy but dry night. On the bridge back over the railway line at Porterstown, I passed the Panthers in the middle of their hill drills. What they were doing was harder than my activity. Easy days easy!

Fri 22/11 - Rest

Sat 23/11 - No running

The plan was to join the coach at White's Gate in the morning for the club session. However, life stuff took over, so much so that even much later on in the day, I had no chance of a run.

Sun 24/11 - 5.02 miles @7:38/mi

With Saturday's issues still ongoing, my running window was very small. Hence it would be an 8 AM start. I was accompanied by two sub-3 lads, and a guy who ran 3:06 in DCM this year. Shades of my early days running with the club, where I'd be huffin and puffin after barely a mile, with nobody of "my" standard to run with?
    I like to think I've got a bit stronger over the years, so I decided to stay in the company rather than do my own thing entirely. Through the downhill on Chesterfield and Wellington Road, I was keeping pace fairly well (7:36, 7:15). However, on reaching the bottom of the Khyber (2.7 miles) the lads picked up their gallop, and I dropped back. The third mile was still my fastest! (7:14)
    For the remainder of my stint, I eased down to a more relaxed 8:00 and 8:03 through miles 4 and 5. Overall, it was my fastest time ever for this loop. However, I felt fine at the end - not like some other times previously, when I'd be gasping long before we returned to Castleknock Gate. I wasn't in a position to stay on with the 8:45 group, so once they set off, I headed home. Not a great week overall, just 22.5 miles, but next week should be better.

Next

Earlier this week, I discovered that the Jingle Bells course has been changed, due to roadworks on Upper Glen Road. The hill out of the Furry Glen, to finish the fourth kilometre, may be the rock on which a lot of PB attempts perish. However, I still think it offers an above average chance of a PB, if I train well over the next two weeks, and play my cards right on the day. With the club's ********* party taking place that night, fingers crossed I'll have an extra reason to celebrate :)

Elsewhere, as per above I'm still in two minds regarding National Novices. I may not decide until after JB whether to enter or not. Beyond this, as more and more races sell out well in advance (e.g. Trim 10 mile), I'm having to consider 2020 races a lot earlier than I would ideally like. Here's a few that I have in mind. Of course, the list below is subject to amendment, as other priorities may require additions or deletions closer to the time.

Sun Jan 5 - Dublin Masters XC, St Anne's Park
    Sun Jan 12 - Leinster Masters XC, venue TBC
    Sun Jan 26 - Raheny 5 mile
    Sat Feb 1 - BHAA Garda XC, Phoenix Park
    Sat Feb 8 - National Masters XC, venue TBC
    Sat Mar 7 - Carlingford Half Marathon
    Sun Apr 19 - Connemara Half Marathon

Dublin Masters was one of my favourites from 2017 and 2018 (LOG!), while I've missed the last two Raheny 5s, having run five years in a row from 2013 to 2017 inclusive. Conn is the entry which I had to defer from 2019. I've also found out recently that entries are transferable up to two weeks in advance - not sure if this is a new thing for those races. Plenty to ponder regardless! Thanks for reading. J.

Hmm, you're not the only one bleeping the seasonal word...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

That post dinner session sounds painful J, fair play for lasting so long. I remember having to stop after half a mile of easy running with a belly full of ravioli.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Hmm what would you say if i told you i put my ********* decorations up today:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Earlier this week, I discovered that the Jingle Bells course has been changed, due to roadworks on Upper Glen Road. The hill out of the Furry Glen, to finish the fourth kilometre, may be the rock on which a lot of PB attempts perish. However, I still think it offers an above average chance of a PB, if I train well over the next two weeks, and play my cards right on the day. With the club's ********* party taking place that night, fingers crossed I'll have an extra reason to celebrate :)

The route change has been a bit of a pain for the organising committee; quite late with the notification and a bit of a scramble to get the new route decided and measured. Short sharp hill coming out the Glen but still a flying finish; should still be a fast course.

Solid plans for New Year J; with the way races are selling out it is good to get them locked down. Real life plans are scuppering National Novice for me but will be in St Anne's for the Auld Lads race; a great way to start 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Hi J,

Will also be doing the Dublin Masters, Raheny 5 and the Leinster XC (if i get picked ). So i might see you at some point in Jan / Feb :)

Never done the Connemara Half, is it worth a shot ?

Hmm, you're not the only one bleeping the seasonal word...

Way too early for all that stuff. I didn't realise that others were bleeping it.
    Lazare wrote: »
    That post dinner session sounds painful J, fair play for lasting so long. I remember having to stop after half a mile of easy running with a belly full of ravioli.

Thanks C, I seem to remember reading about that at the time :eek: a more common sense approach will be applied later :)
    Hmm what would you say if i told you i put my ********* decorations up today:eek:

Bah Humbug :D
    The route change has been a bit of a pain for the organising committee; quite late with the notification and a bit of a scramble to get the new route decided and measured. Short sharp hill coming out the Glen but still a flying finish; should still be a fast course.

Solid plans for New Year J; with the way races are selling out it is good to get them locked down. Real life plans are scuppering National Novice for me but will be in St Anne's for the Auld Lads race; a great way to start 2020.

Thanks C, looking forward to it anyway, only 10 days to go as I type! There may yet be a few changes to that 2020 schedule, but it's good to have a few reference points.
    MisterDrak wrote: »
    Hi J,

Will also be doing the Dublin Masters, Raheny 5 and the Leinster XC (if i get picked ). So i might see you at some point in Jan / Feb :)

Never done the Connemara Half, is it worth a shot ?

Thanks D, I'll probably catch you at at least one of those :D

As for Conn, I've only run it once before (and wrote about it at the time) and would highly recommend it, except if you're targeting a PB. I'll be targeting a course PB, which isn't quite the same thing. In 2016 I covered it in 1:40, whereas if I make it next year I'll be hoping to be nearer 1:35. Recommend plenty of hill work in your training, if you decide to take it on. Best of luck on Saturday - I won't be tackling the soft sand of Clontarf this year.

Mon 25/11 - Rest

Tue 26/11 - 5.21 miles @8:55/mi

With rain falling heavily for most of the morning, I was a bit concerned that I'd have to plough through it after work. Thankfully, it had stopped long before I got home - an easy plod around Carpenterstown being the end result.

Wed 27/11 - Club session, Porterstown Park

Similar to last week - (400 off, 800 on) x 5, but this time I left my dinner alone until after the session. Just as well, as there was a bit of give in the ground this time, yet I managed it fairly ok in the runners.

Thu 28/11 - 4.86 miles @9:06/mi

Single loop shuffle around D15. Easy days easy. Not much I can add I'm afraid!

Fri 29/11 - Rest

Sat 30/11 - 5.84 miles @9:01/mi

Following a Run Director turn at Porterstown parkrun in the morning, I was initially hoping to head to PP for a hills session. However, as the day progressed, between logistical issues (wife needing the car) and laziness setting in, it was about 3 PM before I went back out. An easy run around Carpenterstown, with two laps of Porterstown included, was the end result.

Sun 1/12 - 10.65 miles @8:13/mi

C*******s is coming, and typically this means the Sunday morning crowds falling off. Hence, we'd only five out at 8:45. Even after her work party last night, Sarah soon left the rest of us behind, and we lost another one near the zoo. Hence, it was me, AMK, and one of the new lads to finish it out. Basically, this was a lap of the PP, exiting at Parkgate Street, up Infirmary Road, and back in at Garda HQ, then a turn up to Castleknock and back via Knockmaroon Gate. We passed Sarah again at the Ordnance Survey, just to complete the circle :) A very enjoyable run. 31.8 miles or so for the week.

November Review

A quiet month, both from a training and a racing point of view. I enjoyed the Irish Life race in Santry, and hit my pre race target, although it left a nagging doubt that there were a few more places on offer if I went all out. Job done. Otherwise, I made all the Wednesday club sessions, but just one on Saturday.

Races: 1 (YTD 21)
    parkruns: 1 (20)
    Mileage: 117 (1258)

Next

My Jingle Bells race pack arrived on Friday. I'm tempted, at the moment, to go out hard for the first half and see can I hang on for the PB. This may yet change, depending on weather conditions for example - we may have the wind in our faces for the length of the Furze Road. I also entered the National Novices XC this week, and might have one or two other lads from the club with me this time.

Looking a bit further ahead, the 2020 BHAA race calendar has been announced, and I'll be taking on some of those. I'm particularly looking forward to the return of an old favourite, in the form of the Trinity Track races. Hope to see some of you at Jingle Bells. Thanks for reading. J.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

It's the 1st of December, you can use the Christmas word now :D

You can't miss me at Jingle bells...i'll be dressed as the little elf ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Lots of tasty looking races in that BHAA calender! Will certainly be dipping in during the second half of 2020!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I will be at the jingle bells :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

All the best Saturday J, run well man!!

Mon 2/12 - Rest

Tue 3/12 - "5.09 miles @9:01/mi"

The above is for reference only. Maybe it's a new phone thing, but Strava has me cutting all sorts of corners during the Carpenterstown loops. Three laps of that circuit is actually about 5.35 miles, give or take. Bit annoying, but hopefully it will resolve itself.

Wed 4/12 - 4.05 miles @8:45/mi

The key we were given for the cabin in Porterstown didn't work, so a Plan B was necessary. One which didn't involve us all just getting into our cars and going home. Instead, we ran down to Tír na nÓg (over half a mile) and decided to run in and around it. Pace for the longest side outside the park (towards the new estate) and easy through the other two sides - five laps of that. With Saturday's race in mind, I lifted off a bit for the last couple. Better than nothing.

Thu 5/12 - Rest

Fri 6/12 - 2.95 miles @8:40/mi

I had a half day off from work, so used this to my advantage by returning to Tír na nÓg for a daylight pre-race shakeout. Five laps, with 5 x 100m (approx) strides. Delighted with how I felt at the end.

Sat 7/12 - Jingle Bells 5k, Phoenix Park

This was my first ever 5k race, way back in 2012. It seems like a lifetime ago in running terms. Since then, I've run a few marathons, discovered parkrun (130 and counting!) and joined a club, among many other things I've done in the seven years since. This is one of the races I try to get to most years, and yesterday was my fifth time to take the start. The course had changed this year due to roadworks. I had managed to cajole one of my new clubmates into signing up, and ended up getting a bit of slagging from her once she became aware of this (I had guaranteed her a PB, allegedly) :)

I arrived early as usual, listening to a few tunes before Stephen (fresh from his work party) joined me for a warmup. We passed ReeReeG on our way down the hill. Having rounded up a few more clubmates and got some extra yardage in, I ran a few strides near the start. Great to chat to Lazare and Damo before I found my spot in the pen. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Browneyes, and we had a quick chat before setting off.

Km 1

I was a lot further back than I realised, and this caused a lot of trouble as we headed up the Acres Road towards the Phoenix roundabout. I could see Paddy a few yards ahead, but he was having less problems with the traffic, while I had to do an awful lot of bobbing and weaving to make any semblance of progress. Roughly alongside the Papal Cross car park, the sea began to part. I caught and passed Paddy before the roundabout, expecting him to tag on, but no luck there. Left at the roundabout, and already we'd 20% completed. I felt like I'd barely done anything.

Km 2

I moved to the right along Chesterfield Avenue, as it seemed to give me the clearest path. I made up a good few places along here, including passing Barry, hoping he would come with me (not quite - he and Paddy finished together, as it happened). I passed HelenAnne just before the turn onto the Furze Road - where, as I saw it, the real hard work needed to start. With the wind having been behind us on the Acres, we now had to work into the wind. Unfortunately, what I had been dreading, happened around the 2 km marker.

Km 3

I found myself on my own at the head of a group, but about 50 metres behind the next group, with the wind blasting into our faces. I had to resolve the situation quickly. Very quickly. The effort levels were increasing anyway, but I had to work extra hard to close the gap. No time to waste once I got there. Keep pushing! I saw choons ahead approaching the crossroads, apparently sauntering. No time for hellos as I passed. I needed to keep moving up. Now I could spot Ronan in the distance, and Eimear E a few yards ahead of him. I reckoned that I would have to catch at least one of them in order to PB. The dip after the crossroads didn't seem to take too much out of me. Onwards!

Km 4

This was where it would be won or lost, or so I thought. I was expecting a bit more pace as we made our way to the bottom of the Furry Glen, before turning away from the lake and heading for Chapelizod. I could see all the bodies up ahead, disappearing over the top of the hill and down to the finish. I thought I would have more in the tank as we started up the hill, but unfortunately it was as if someone had (figuratively speaking) let the air out of my tyres. This was where I was supposed to knock it out of the park. The 4 km marker was exactly where I remembered it from last week. Not that that really helped me at this stage.

Km 5

Over the top of the hill. Couldn't see Ronan or Eimear any more. Skyblue was at the start of the downhill, and told me I was 50 metres behind Lazare. While C proceeded to rip it up in the last km, I spluttered my way down the hill. This wasn't how it was supposed to happen - simply put, the anticipated rapid increase in pace approaching the finish never came. Turning into the finish, I saw the clock go from 19 to 20 mins, so in my annoyance I switched off, and almost walked up to the line for the closing seconds. Frustrating, but what can you do. So much for the PB plan.

Time: 20:22 (20:06)
    Position: 268/1083
    Category: 28/71 M45

I felt like I'd prepared a lot better for this one than in other years. Hence, even though it's my fastest 5k this year (third fastest ever) it seems like a bad performance. Still and all, this time I didn't deliberate about collecting the mug as I walked through the finish area. choons came in just behind me in the end.

AMK had a good run, but it was Kate who was the first from our club to finish, 2nd F and a PB to go with it. Stephen also managed to PB, as did our newbie member. I do get some things right :pac: Unfortunately, all my layers were back in the car, so there were loads from here that I didn't manage to catch up with before I headed off to put some clothes on. I attended the club's Christmas party later on, in order to significantly boost my alcohol levels have a well deserved night out - quite responsibly too, might I add :pac:

Sun 8/12 - 3.93 miles @9:31/mi

My word, it was desperate out this morning. Dark, windy and absolutely lashing rain. The longer I sat there looking at it, the less likely I was to do anything. Off I went, and actually once I reached Porterstown I felt a lot better. I met some friends along the way, so that was a nice bonus and helped the time pass. Recovery run complete!

Next

The National Novices XC (three times around the 2000m Lap B) in Dunboyne next Sunday, will bring the curtain down on my 2019 racing. I'll run a few parkruns too, but they'll only be for entertainment value, especially when I've been partying the night before :cool: Thanks for reading. J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Great report J. Said this to you yesterday too but I honestly feel you're being too hard on yourself. You ran a great race.

I know it's good sometimes to be hard on yourself but unwarranted in this case imo. You ran your fastest time this year, and close to your best..

Bravo.

Advertisement