Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leader Of The (Mid) Pack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

OOnegative wrote: »
    http://www.cillesac.ie/b-5

Just leaving this here.

Deffo a redemption race , and there is sure to be some super stewarding going down !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Fri 21/6 - Rest

Longest day of the year, but apparently not long enough for me to find time to go for a run :rolleyes:

Is Fearr An Iarthar 2019 - Cuid A Dó

Sat 22/6 - Rest

Back West for a couple of days. Long drive to catch the afternoon ferry to Inishbofin, then got too settled to run before dinner and drinks.

Sun 23/6 - 6.26 miles@9:08/mi

I was out bright and early (before 7 AM) to get a 13+ mile run in before breakfast. Forecast for later on wasn't great, so the earlier the better was definitely in my interests. Bit of rain on the high side of the island, but I really enjoyed running a full lap of the HM course without meeting another person, as I easily averaged the first 5 miles in over 9 minutes. Beautiful stuff. Sure even most of my second time climbing up the hill past the school was grand :D

Passing through the cluster of houses just beyond the airport, a startling realisation came to me - I was being followed. Not by an angry dog, like used to happen to me a lot on Inishbofin. About maybe 15-20 feet above my head, I can see and hear "ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK" "AAAAA" before the f0cker divebombed no more than 3 feet above and ahead of me, before banking back up into position. With nobody else in the vicinity, it was clear that I was the target of this angry avian. What I did to p!$$ him off, I have no idea. This went on for the best part of half a mile, with him repeating that drill something between 15 and 20 times, while I had to hope for the best. Luckily, I was on a downhill stretch for most of this stint, but that on its own wouldn't account for a couple of little sub-6 bursts. I had to laugh when I looked at Strava on the laptop, and saw the mega spike in pace during that period :pac: Anyway, although he'd given up by the time I reached the bottom of the hill, I decided I wouldn't risk passing through that corridor of uncertainty again that morning, and turned back to base instead. Hence a run which was less than half its intended duration. Thankfully, on a drenching day, in the afternoon the Dubs did the business in Croker :D

Mon 24/6 - 3.90 miles @8:14/mi

Conditions were considerably brighter, as I ran the HM course in reverse, just for the one lap this time. I know the pace looks high, but to me it just felt comfortable, and not like I was going anywhere close to flat out. To my immense relief, there was no sign of Steven Seagull :eek:

On the long ascent from the harbour towards the East End, I passed a mother and daughter out walking. The mother goes "Fair play to ye". "I'm grand. Nearly done!" says I. They probably thought I was a bit nuts doing this, so early in the morning too. I was thinking of finishing with 8 x 10s hills, but decided to leave it. Witnessing that would have had both of them convinced!

Hope to see some of you in Kilcock. Thanks for reading. J.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

That was a great race report and great running you held on as others have said it will stand to you :)

I remember you mentioning the seagull on strava :D wonder what its problem was! they are so noisy I thought crows were bad, we stayed in Waterford and they sounded like someone was strangling them with all the cackling all night long

The very best of luck on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

I see there is a €50 prize for the best race report at the Bettystown 5 mile; Paddy Power have you listed as odds on for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

About maybe 15-20 feet above my head, I can see and hear "ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK" "AAAAA" before the f0cker divebombed no more than 3 feet above and ahead of me, before banking back up into position. With nobody else in the vicinity, it was clear that I was the target of this angry avian. What I did to p!$$ him off, I have no idea. This went on for the best part of half a mile, with him repeating that drill something between 15 and 20 times, while I had to hope for the best.

This is exactly the sort of thing that I thought only happened to me! I feel so much better now!!!! :D

• Advertisement

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Deffo a redemption race , and there is sure to be some super stewarding going down !

Thanks a mill :D Congratulations on your sub-50 :)
    Baby75 wrote: »
    That was a great race report and great running you held on as others have said it will stand to you :)

I remember you mentioning the seagull on strava :D wonder what its problem was! they are so noisy I thought crows were bad, we stayed in Waterford and they sounded like someone was strangling them with all the cackling all night long

The very best of luck on Friday

Thanks N, km 4 will probably be the biggie again. Get through that one still in the game, and I reckon I can seal the deal this time.

As for the seagull, I'm still confused as to why. I definitely didn't run over a nest or anything, and I wasn't carrying any food. Hope it turns out to be a one off :pac:
    I see there is a €50 prize for the best race report at the Bettystown 5 mile; Paddy Power have you listed as odds on for that.

:pac: Thanks C, but since I've never "even" received a RROTY nomination here, I'd say it's unlikely that 50 notes will be winging their way to D15 - unless maybe AMK has a go, that is :pac::pac::pac:

coogy wrote: »
    This is exactly the sort of thing that I thought only happened to me! I feel so much better now!!!! :D

Sure don't you know that's all that matters :D my sole purpose here is to make others happy, regardless of personal cost :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

All the best tomorrow evening J, run well!!

Good luck tomorrow J :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

Good luck tomorrow J, looking forward to meeting up.

Tue 25/6 - Rest

Wed 26/6 - Club session, Porterstown Park

As I was racing on Friday, I kept my paces easy for most of this, along with two of the lads who were planning to run the Clonee 10k on Thursday. About 5.5 miles for the night. It was the coach's birthday, so we organised a cake for him on the night. Well deserved :)

Thu 27/6 - Rest

Fri 28/6 - St Cocas AC 5k, Kilcock

"How long?
    Not long,
    'Cause what you reap,
    Is what you sow"

I was confident that tonight would be the night I'd return to sub 20 glory, after missing out in Docklands. A fast course, with plenty of runners around to help me seal the deal. Even though my diet was dreadful all week, and sleep was terrible too (to the extent that I was feeling mashed throughout the day in work) confidence was still high, as myself and AMK made the short trip into North Kildare.

Got parked up around 7, before quick and easy number collection, then a not quite two mile warmup and strides as scotindublin was there to support. Met Lazare and Damo at the start, and along with Graham and Joe from BP, we were ready to give this one socks.

We were stuck a little behind the 20 min pacer, but I wasn't overly concerned by this, once I could maintain the gap for 3 or 4k before cutting loose. There was a slight drag over the motorway early on, with a fair bit of bobbing and weaving around runners too. We got the drag back with interest once we crossed the M4, down a hill and then a left-right-left down a country lane. Damo, Lazare and Graham were just ahead of me, while Joe would appear on my shoulder every so often. This was fast. So much so, that when we passed the 1 km (4 km to go) marker, I thought to myself "WTF, one already?!" 3:50 according to the lads afterwards. Quick systems check. Docklands last week, I felt great at this point. I couldn't quite say the same here. Although the clouds were keeping the hot sun at bay, the air was heavy, and I was finding breathing difficult even now.

Keeping the pace high, through the forest almost directly parallel to the motorway. The lads were at the back of the still enormous pace group, so I decided I'd make a move to try and tag on. Gap partially closed. Tough work, but I felt I could go again. Held that pace. Felt like my tongue was almost stuck to the roof of my mouth though. Where was the 2k marker? I was trying to guess whether it was around this corner or the next one. I tried to close the gap completely. Thought I felt something go in my calf. "OH NO AAAAAAAH" - that was all internal by the way, no screaming. I was absolutely disgusted. I started walking back towards the start, which was over a mile away. About 2 minutes of this, the 25 minute pacer was passing. I changed my mind, and decided to see if I could finish it out.

The Rest

I finished. There's no point in breaking down kms 3-5 here. I jogged the last two miles. I didn't even bother trying to sprint down the hill at the finish, crossing the line in an absolutely miserable 22:29. No trace of any actual injury either, as I comfortably managed a two mile cooldown with AMK and AJ. Not a happy bunny at all on the drive home, even after coffee, cakes and biccies in the school afterwards. Our lady captain won first prize, cementing a growing reputation after her second place in WMM.

Sat 29/6 - Porterstown parkrun - Start Making Sense

Ordinarily, my parkruns don't give much cause for comment, good, bad, or indifferent. It was therefore particularly interesting to see questions from laura_ac3 on my Strava after this. She asked "Why a workout the morning after the race? Would recovery or easy not be the better option?"

Of course, I hadn't explained fully the goings on from Friday above on my Strava, prompting a mixture of confusion and bemusement among some of you on here when I posted a 21:17 time for the parkrun i.e. well over a minute faster than Friday. Had I gone full tilt for the whole 5k, there's not a chance I'd have run the parkrun at anything close to that pace. But with the only pain on Saturday morning being mental, I decided I had more room to manoeuvre. I kept Paddy in my sights throughout, in hot and sticky conditions in the warm sunshine. On another day I might have tried harder to catch him, but this wasn't really the right time. 9th place, 2nd age cat - first in the category finishing first overall, after what was a solo tempo run for him. A mile with Paddy and the winner, both before and after.

Sun 30/6 - 10.34 miles @ 8:42/mi

Up for 8:45 at Castleknock Gate, in spite of Friday and Saturday's activities, which included a few pints in the evening watching the GAA. Very pacy early on with the full group of about ten, before four of us eased back on our way through the Furry Glen. Some geezer in a black and off-white stripey jumper emerged from the undergrowth as we were passing. Luckily we had a good gap if he decided to come after us :eek: Gradually we slowed our pace, as four became three, then two. Once Podge headed off as we were passing the zoo, I slowed my pace even more, so much so that all my solo miles were over 9 minutes. Great to have the lads on board, as I would have really struggled with this otherwise. I was a bit short of the 10 when I got back to Castleknock Gate, so I ran an extra little triangle to take me into double figures.

June review to follow later. Thanks for reading. J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sorry things didn't go well on Fri. I deleted my own Strava comment as I felt the phrase 'All downhill from here' was on the negative side of ambiguous - I'd meant downhill in the easier to run sense, not the descent into obscurity that is more often associated with that phrase. It was in response to your observation that you need to train more and race less, which I thought was insightful.

If you really stopped and walked back towards the start for two mins, to end up with 22:29 is a pretty impressive time, suggesting you got right back close to race pace rather than jogging it in, as you say. Anyway, better days ahead, etc.

June Review

The month began with a nice MLR, finishing with a parkrun executed as a progression run. This went about as well as it could have done on the day, so I think it's something I will definitely return to in the coming weeks and months. Probably my best run of the month, the more I think about it.

The second half of the month (give or take a day) was where things started to go gradually pear shaped. To my extreme annoyance as I type, I chose to ignore the obvious warning signs.

The Irish Runner 5 Mile should have seen me break a 5 year old PB. Even the footwear malfunction early on shouldn't have been my undoing. I didn't have the required urgency to chase down groups when I got isolated, and even in the final mile I didn't push to the max. I wouldn't say I could have gone around the course again, but I was far from spent afterwards :rolleyes:

Five days later, I was toeing the line again, this time in an attempt to beat a two year old 5k PB, set on the same Docklands course. Unlike the IR5, I felt like this time I gave it a really good shot, but just didn't have enough gas to see it through for the last mile or so, on a sticky Thursday evening. Even so, 20:20 is my fastest 5k this year, and third fastest ever - fastest since Docklands 2017 in fact.

As a result of missing out on a PB in the above, I signed up for a quick rematch with the 5k distance, this time in Kilcock. Well, here's where everything came back to bite me. Big style.

Trying to run three races in less than two weeks was an ambitious plan to say the least, and it rapidly came down like a house of cards, with me stepping off after less than 2k. In relation to D's question above, it may not have actually been two minutes (walking in the wrong direction!) but it certainly felt like it. I turned around in front of the 25 min pacer, however long it took me to get there. But hey, it meant I could run a parkrun over a minute faster, just 13 hours later! Yep, totally back to front is right.

For anyone reading here who might be curious, "How long? Not long..." although it's actually from a speech by Martin Luther King, was something I lifted from "Wake Up" by Rage Against The Machine (a throwback to my student days) Very appropriate, in my opinion.

Anyway, back to the bigger picture. I doubt if too many of you would seriously consider that many races in such a short space of time, with (or without?) such a low average of 25-30 mpw. In fact, I only took a full part in one of the club sessions in June. Why? Because I was racing!! Added to this, for about two months straight, there's been an apparently endless supply of sweets and chocolate in the office, due to staff bringing goodies in after holidays. Not blaming them, might I add! Personal responsibility comes into it there - the fault is entirely mine. Alcohol - not bad, but still some room for improvement. Sleep has been atrocious the last week or so. I'm a light sleeper anyway, but warm weather just makes things worse, even with the windows open or whatever. I also need to get better at getting rid of the doubts that manifest themselves during races.

So, how to turn this ship around?

More training, and less races, seems to be an obvious starting point when planning the next few months. To this end, as I type I've three races planned in the next three months (as opposed to two weeks!) with the intention being to build up the mileage and get more sessions in, to give me a bit more endurance and help with the confidence when things start to get tough. Diet is something that's easier to fix in the short term. Hard to say no when you've a sweet tooth like I do, but things have to change on that front. A lot. Better sleep will hopefully come with better diet and training. All of these things will, all going well, lead to positive outcomes, as we move into the second half of the year.

Races: 4 (YTD 13) - the fourth was as a 30 minute pacer in the Castleknock 5k on June 16.
    parkruns: 3 (10)
    Mileage: 127 (639)

Coming Up...

Tuesday July 16 - Bettystown 5 Mile
    Sunday August 18 - Kilcock 10 Mile

I signed up for the Kilcock 10 yesterday. I got a 2 1/2 minute PB in the inaugural event last year, and all going well I should be capable of a sub 70 attempt this time. My September race will be either the Ratoath HM (14th) or the Race Series HM, taking place the following Saturday (21st). I'm strongly leaning towards Ratoath at the moment.

I'm saying now that I won't be running DCM. However, I'm entered anyway, and the refund period has expired. So if I'm fit and healthy when the day arrives, and I've the miles and good sessions in the bank, who's to say I definitely won't conquer my FOMO, and shuffle around for old time's sake? :D More than likely the cross country spikes will be cleaned off by then though. Beidh le feiceáil ! Thanks for reading. J.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I once printed the lyrics to Wake Up for a college lecturer, because of the Matrix. No kidding...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I'll miss the frequent race reports, but it sounds like a sensible approach! Sorry to hear neither Docklands nor St Coca's went as planned, but at least the calf scare didn't turn out to be an injury.

I once printed the lyrics to Wake Up for a college lecturer, because of the Matrix. No kidding...

Thanks B, wouldn't have had you down as a fan of RATM!
    Yes, I remember Wake Up being used for the closing credits of The Matrix.
    The more avid GAA watchers among you may also remember it, as it was the theme tune from GAA Beo on TG4 for a number of years :D
    eyrie wrote: »
    I'll miss the frequent race reports, but it sounds like a sensible approach! Sorry to hear neither Docklands nor St Coca's went as planned, but at least the calf scare didn't turn out to be an injury.

Thanks C. I'm pretty much over the aforementioned failures. I'm also probably fortunate that the three races in such a short space of time (plus a parkrun so soon after the last!) haven't significantly impacted on me physically, as far as I can tell.

Sorry about the lack of race reports in the pipeline. On the plus side, I am hoping that the ones that I do concoct in the coming months will have happier endings. Less is more :pac:

The bad days do makes us stronger and make the better days sweeter :D

I am glad Parkrun went better and the calf was ok in the end.
    Although it turned out to be ok you were right to stop and check and still did pretty good to come in at 22 minutes :)

Good luck with the training and next race :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Mon 1/7 - Rest

Tue 2/7 - 10.88 miles@8:55/mi

As I made my way down the hill from Castleknock College to White's Gate, I was deliberating about how much of the Phoenix Park I'd be able or willing to cover. Not too hot, but fairly humid. The Porterstown Panthers were assembling at White's Gate, so I asked if I could tag along. A fairly large group were doing a 10k loop, so I jumped in here, and ended up running at the front for more than half of it. Three of us added in what Strava calls the "Ho Chi Minh Trail" (Hole In the Wall to Castleknock Gate) which brought us slightly over the 10k. Home via White's Gate for unscheduled double figures midweek miles.

Wed 3/7 - Club session, Porterstown Park

Warm and sunny tonight, as I dragged my heavy legs up to the grass track. Warmup was laps of the grass track followed by four hedge loops, then strides before the body of the session. This was (5/4/3 mins) x 2, with reducing jog recoveries - 3 mins between the 5 and 4, 2 between 4 and 3, and then 3 mins before the second set. I held up very well throughout the first set, but had to resist the temptation to skip during the second set. Pleased with the fact that I completed the full session, although I slipped off a bit in the second set, tiring in the heat. Cooldown brought it up to 7.15 miles for the night.

Thu 4/7 - 7.72 miles@9:04/mi

Over to St Catherine's Park for this one. Surprisingly not many runners around, on a very humid evening. I followed a previous route of three reducing loops. The first loop had a very steep climb at the bottom of the park, then some nice little drags through the trees, followed by the hill up to the BMX track just after the trail exit. Second loop had a nice drag leading to BMX hill, while the last lap was all flat, skirting around the soccer and GAA pitches. All three passed the rangers hut and dressing rooms before heading up to the railway stretch, with a brief stint on the Kildare side towards the end of each lap. Nice and relaxed, apart from some persistent flies, who seemed to follow me around more than you would normally expect!

Fri 5/7 - Rest

Sat 6/7 - Club session, Polo Grounds

It had been over a year since I last did this session with the lads, so I was a little bit apprehensive as we made our way down from White's Gate. Few strides to complete the warmup, and then we were ready to go.

The session itself was (3 sides x 3) + 1 full lap to finish off. Jog recoveries around the top bend. Starting on the pavilion side, we'd the breeze behind us heading towards the zoo. It got tough on the neverending bottom bend, and then we'd the breeze in our faces on the Chesterfield Avenue side, with the coach waiting for us seemingly miles away. Disappointing to slip from 2:57 to 2:59, but I improved to 2:55 on the third rep.

We picked up the pace for the last rep, but where I erred was in striking out too early, roughly half way up the far side. Keith and Ronan had little difficulty in picking me off as I faded around the top bend, but I had just about enough in the tank to keep Paddy behind me. 3:43 for this one. Shuffled back to White's Gate with the lads, then a quick change before driving to Porterstown for parkrun volunteering. A very satisfactory morning's work.

Sun 7/7 - 11.88 miles @ 8:54/mi

I wanted to get a double figures run done this morning, but I was also mindful of the fact that I'd already covered a lot more ground than in most weeks of the last two years. Fortunately, I'd company who were willing and able to slow the pace down to what I wanted. Oddly enough, the Khyber hill had some of our quicker times. On the second part of the run (from 8:45), we deviated from the "usual" MSB route, in that we left out the Magazine Fort and Munich hills, for a gentler and flatter route around the 15 Acres. Fairly steady throughout, with a nice pickup from Ordnance Survey Road to finish off at Castleknock Gate.

44.4 miles for the week. This is actually my highest weekly mileage in almost two years - since I was training for DCM 2017 (W/E September 3). I had to dig out the old "Immortality Beckons" sub-log to check that one! Feeling tired but happy sitting here after a post-run bath, with no pain to show for all that. I don't know if my mileage will go too much higher TBH - probably low 50s at best. Might try raising it more gradually over a few weeks, and see how that goes.

Next

With the Bettystown 5 on Tuesday week, I will be easing back on the mileage again. Before that, I will be volunteering at the BHAA 5k in Irishtown Stadium on Wednesday night. Hope to see some of you there. Thanks for reading. J.

Mon 8/7 - Rest

Tue 9/7 - 5.84 miles @8:35/mi

Back to St Catherine's Park, on a sunny and warm evening. I normally run anticlockwise loops here, but for a change I decided to run in the opposite direction. The plan was to run the three loops in increasing size this time, but due to time constraints I dropped the shortest one. It's more of a drag up along the Leixlip side than you would think, and finishing each lap with the zig zag hill to the dog run is a big difference to the normal order of things. As for the woodland trail, I didn't get the benefit of going downhill, as it is very steep with a sharp bend as you reach the tarmac, so I more or less walked the last few yards to the bottom. Fairly tired afterwards, but nice to have it done.

Wed 10/7 - No running

I was volunteering at the BHAA race in Irishtown Stadium. My intention was to run a few easy miles around the track, before taking up my marshalling position. However, as I was walking over, it firstly started to rain on the way through Trinity, and then just after I crossed the river beside Aviva Stadium Lansdowne Road, WOOOOOOOOFF!! a monsoon kicked into gear, leaving me suitably drenched, having not felt the need for an umbrella. Although my running gear was dry, it continued to lash rain until just before the race start, so that was that! Be better prepared next time :rolleyes:

Thu 11/7 - 5.99 miles @8:53/mi

I haven't done the Carpenterstown loops mixed with Porterstown laps in a long time. However, I wasn't feeling in the mood for a longer run to and from Phoenix Park, so back to what's normally a winter staple. On a hot evening, I felt sluggish throughout, while hoping Tuesday's weather is a bit more favourable.

Fri 12/7 - Rest

Sat 13/7 - Porterstown parkrun

As entries for the Irish Runner 10 Mile were being accepted on the day, I was half thinking of jumping in after all. Woke up this morning feeling like I'd been run over (lack of sleep!) and that was another cunning plan gone up in smoke.

The parkrun wasn't a bad Plan B, as it transpired. I decided that #121 would be a progression run, and I think I carried it out fairly well. For the second and third laps, there was some Eastern European guy pushing a buggy alongside me - he thanked me for "pacing" him afterwards :D On another day, I might have pushed harder to get rid of him, and catch three others up ahead. Not today. 21:40, 14/123, 2nd M45. Happy with that. As an added bonus, due to a miscommunication of sorts there were two lots of goodies at the finish :D By the way, I'm back on our Run Director roster, and will be RD for Porterstown parkrun #200, on August 10.

Sun 14/7 - 8.48 miles @8:17/mi

With Tuesday's race still in my plans, I decided to curtail my participation in the Sunday club runs. I was going to leave it after the standard 5 mile Chesterfield/Wellington/Khyber loop, but just as the gang were taking off to start the 8:45 stint, I decided I'd jump in for a few more miles. Still only 25 miles for the week, but with a race in two days time, probably for the best. Thanks for reading. J.

Best of luck tomorrow evening J, run well!!!

• Advertisement

Enjoy tomorrow - I’ll be cheering you on along the way . I’m stewarding and positioned at about 1 mile left to go !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Good luck tonight!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow evening J, run well!!!
    Bluesquare wrote: »
    Enjoy tomorrow - I’ll be cheering you on along the way . I’m stewarding and positioned at about 1 mile left to go !

Bib 837, light green singlet with blue trim, shades and black visor. I'll keep an eye out for you :)
    eyrie wrote: »
    Good luck tonight!

Thanks all :D The Norwegians are forecasting a cooler evening than most of those we've been having lately, along with some more than welcome cloud cover. Report to follow in due course, with hopefully a much happier ending than the last one!

https://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Bettystown/

Don’t forget there is a race report competition - 50 bucks for winning entry !!!

Adding shades to the ensemble; I like it! See you at some point this evening no doubt.

Great stuff J, well deserved PB man, well done.

Mon 15/7 - Rest

Tue 16/7 - Bettystown 5 Mile, Co. Meath - Times Like These

Pre Race

I'd been waiting for a shot at redemption over this distance, since fouling my latest attempt a month ago in the IR5. It's not easy to get the pacing right for 5 miles anyway. A trawl back through the records this morning tells me that last night's race was my 15th 5 miler on the road, since setting my PB waaaay back in the 2014 edition of the Terenure 5. The fubar that was my Kilcock 5k only made me more determined to put this one to rights.

Nice drive out to Meath's Gold Coast (as the sign in Julianstown informed us) thanks to clubmate K. We arrived to a bit of tailback coming in from Laytown, but luckily a lad was leaving a parking space just as we were approaching. Even so, the guy behind nearly took the front off K's car, in his impatience to get around us! An easy mile or so warmup out and back, before taking our places at the start, where I found scotindublin for a pre race chat. Laces were definitely tied nice and tight this time :pac: In the end K decided not to run, leaving me as our only club representative. No pressure!

1 - Are You Ready?

We began on a looooong straight stretch alongside the golf club, heading towards Drogheda. Bit of a breeze behind us too, and it seemed to be constantly downhill, although according to Strava, a net elevation of -1 feet. More on them later. The entire masters male contingent of Balbriggan and District seemed to be out tonight, and I always had at least one or two in my sights. Even here I was thinking I was going too fast, but was reluctant to back off, in case I lost all momentum. We still haven't covered a mile yet. Maybe I'm not going too quickly after all. Finally, there it is! Systems check: breathing a bit heavy for this stage, form fairly well controlled, maintaining position. Oh and of course it's hot!

Just under 2k covered, and finally we turn left, and head out into the countryside. A guy in a Dunshaughlin 10k top has pulled up alongside, and there's also a Duleek runner in my mirrors. We're about 20-30 metres behind a cluster of Balbriggan boys and about 10 others. Heat's getting to me. Now the real race is starting. There are no hills to speak of at this point, yet the doubts are kicking in already.

"You haven't trained enough"
    "This is too fast for you. Pull back. Pull back"
    "No way you're going to PB in this heat"
    "STEP OFF! STEP OFF! STEP OFF!"

Not this again! I was finding it hard enough as it was. COME ON! We're here now. You've got to fight for PBs, they're not just handed out!

Just after the mile marker, comes the toughest climb of the race. From a fair way back, I can see people going up it. Looks tricky, especially when I'm already flagging. Dig in, drive up it. Shorten the stride, work the arms! Into the village of Donacarney, and there's loads of people out, including one kid with a big water pistol, and another with a garden hose. I was glad to get some very brief respite from the heat as we passed. Turn left at the staggered crossroads. An aul fella is up there going "All downhill to the finish" G'way outa that! In fact, there's still another sharp little drag in this section, to bring us to an overall elevation change of over 50 feet in three quarters of a mile. Dunshaughlin has gone ahead a bit, but I have to battle hard now, as we're really in the dead zone, still a fair bit left.

"Still over 2 miles left. Why bother?"
    "Breathing's all over the place. Take a break"
    "Much harder than you thought"

Badly needed water at 3 miles! I took one, couple of sips, tipped a load more over my head, and off again. Phew!

Ok, so I suppose we're getting a bit of downhill now. Not all downhill like yer man said though! Lengthen the stride, pull in one or two up ahead. Now we're coming back into Bettystown, with lots of little estates branching off the main road. Get a shout from Bluesquare, stewarding at one of those junctions. In the midst of my pain, I was trying to work out how long I might have left. Less than 10 minutes, bit more downhill.

"You can't beat any of these guys"
    "They're training properly"
    "Did you really cut down on treats and booze that much?"
    "Too hot. How long before another Clontarf collapse?"

Some of those old Lucozade Sport ads came into my head. It's all about the last 15 minutes, etc etc. Ahhh push it! Or at least try! I did make up a place or two here, catching some runners who'd gone out too fast. Or maybe they were walkers? Can't dwell on that too much. Legs are starting to go a bit. Not long left now, dig in!

"What if I say that I'll never surrender?"

Little bit of a drag to the left turn at the Tesco, then we're heading downhill towards the little triangle in the village, just before the seafront. By now I've caught a couple of Balbriggan runners, Dunshaughlin top, and a guy in a dark Meath Fitness top (Derek). I know there isn't long left now, so start picking up the pace. Sign on the path indicating "Heavy Traffic" to the left, which is where we turn, back along the seafront. Derek gets one of several shouts just behind me. Guessing he's a local lad. Long straight again. Breeze behind us. This is it. Still about half a mile, I think. Doesn't matter now.

I'm alongside one of the Balbriggan men. K gives me a shout. 400 to go. One lap of the track. How much have I got? This could be the difference between going home with a PB, and going home with another tale of 5 mile woe. Not this time, or not for want of trying anyway! "Fight each other" a random spectator says as we pass. Fair enough, says I, picking up the pace. Balbriggan comes with me. Nice one. This is what I want! If I was on my own, I probably would have just sauntered through the last 400. I can see the last corner now. I know from the warmup that it's a short little turn into a housing estate, which should take me no more than 10 seconds to complete. Keep going! Couple of other lads and a Drogheda girl turning ahead.

I can see the clock. I know I've got it. At last! Balbriggan pulls away, and I don't quite catch Drogheda. This time, I'll get over it. YEEEEEEAAAAHHH! GET IN!!!! I thank the Balbriggan man for a great finish, before finding a spot on the grass to sit down and get my breath back.

Time: 33:51 (33:48) 20 second PB
    Position: 69/618
    Category: 9/44 M45

Post Race

It took me the best part of 5 minutes before I felt comfortable with getting back up and walking. Still getting my breath back, sweat absolutely pumping out of me. Nice to catch up with C again, who was disappointed with his own race, but delighted that I'd finally cracked it. Over to Laytown and Bettystown golf club across the road. It took a while to find the post race grub, but when we did, I have to say I was very impressed! Oodles of biccies, cakes and sambos, most of it home made, as well as tea and coffee. Piled into a load of that, before walking back to the car. Nice to bump into Bluesquare en route. Very well organised race, and I'll definitely be back. Still bouncing all the way back to D15, and PB beers went down a treat when I got home.

Next

Double the distance, as I return to the Kilcock 10 Mile in August. I hope to have a lot more miles in the legs, which should help with the confidence. In addition, Ratoath got the nod over the Race Series HM in September. And yes, DCM is still on the agenda - kind of :pac:

Oh. Nearly forgot. I mentioned Strava earlier. For those of you not on it....

Monday night, my mailbox pings with this jobbie from them "We're giving away free entries to the NYC Marathon" I'm thinking, WOW! I'd sell my DCM ticket for that :D But let's dig a little deeper, shall we? (emphasis mine)

"If you’ve ever dreamed of running a marathon, this is it: We’re giving away five prize packages for the biggest marathon there is, The TCS New York City Marathon.

Winners will get a free race entry, free Summit, free gear, free coaching and cash to cover expenses. In other words, just about the best first-time marathon experience we can muster. It’s free to enter and all are welcome. Go for it."

Click the "Join Contest" button, and then the myth is unmasked. Once you've read past the prize details and whatnot, the very first of "The Rules": "Only US residents can win". Goddammit! It's a disgrace Joe!

Anyhow, back on topic after that mini rant :pac: I'm still full of beans as I'm wrapping this one up. Looking forward to seeing what the next few months will bring. Thanks for reading. J.

Great effort last night and well done again on the PB!

I shuffled back to the car after the refreshments.....probably not the best idea.....sweat fest again!

Good shout for race report of the evening if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Well done J, that's a much deserved PB!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I was looking forward to seeing a report on this! Excellent stuff, congrats :)

Advertisement