Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 3) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,537 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I gotta say at times its a cringe fest, Conor has some great smart one liners but when he gets stuck he curses too much instead of saying nothing,
    I think boxing people get the impression that all MMA fighter are like that and its one of the reasons that it hasn't crossed into the mainstream and people think its for white trash which is the way a lot America's see it,
    If Conor just toned back some of it he would come across as a lot smarter and not classless, his back and fort hwith Snr was good as he was laughing and enjoying it but its cringe when he tries to hard,  
    Also the suit thing is like something a 12 yearold would find funny,I really think its little things like that he almost stopping himself from making even more cash ,
    He obviously super rich and doing amazing for himself but I think he could really hit the next level of mainstream by just making small changes to how he acts,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I gotta say at times its a cringe fest, Conor has some great smart one liners but when he gets stuck he curses too much instead of saying nothing,
    I think boxing people get the impression that all MMA fighter are like that and its one of the reasons that it hasn't crossed into the mainstream and people think its for white trash which is the way a lot America's see it,
    If Conor just toned back some of it he would come across as a lot smarter and not classless, his back and fort hwith Snr was good as he was laughing and enjoying it but its cringe when he tries to hard,  
    Also the suit thing is like something a 12 yearold would find funny,I really think its little things like that he almost stopping himself from making even more cash ,
    He obviously super rich and doing amazing for himself but I think he could really hit the next level of mainstream by just making small changes to how he acts,

If McGregor acted like everyone else he would probably be still on the dole.

He knows exactly what way to act and what people want to see and hear to make the money.

The chap is one smart cookie.

0ph0rce0 wrote: »

If McGregor acted like everyone else he would probably be still on the dole.

He knows exactly what way to act and what people want to see and hear to make the money.

The chap is one smart cookie.
    I know that, I just mean tone down the cringe bits,
    He has done amazing job no doubt but I think he could make even more money with small changes, he loses his composure and just starts shouting bad language its cringe ,.
     Look at Ali even when he lost his cool he remained slick ,

For instance what was the need to have a direct go at the showtime guy ?
    Money people like that may come in very handy down the line when your building a huge brand like Conor is ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Money people like that may come in very handy down the line when your building a huge brand like Conor is ,

Best bit of the night. Showtime tried to fcuk him over the night before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I guess we're in for something along these lines tonight............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

He'd walk through Nate at 155, zero risk.... and it would sell the most PPV's also compared to fighting anyone else for the belt.

Walk through??

Fight 1 : Finished in 2nd Round
    Fight 2 : Barely Made it out of the 5th and won by a split decision....with a lot of professionals not sure who should have got it...I had Mcgregor as a winner....but not by much .and most would share that same view

Again i'll say it...walk through?? You're delusional and haven't the first clue about fighting if you honestly believe that..he could not stand with Nate and continually trade..he constantly walked away..he had to...

When he did manage to drop him early on...he refused to engage further....that's not walking through anyone

I like Conor..Genuinely hes grown on me...but get real...he wouldn't "walk" through Nate on his worst day, in any weight class

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Of course that's what the fans wanted, The crowd didn't want to hear him talk ****, Conor knew that and slated him.

The crowd went mad. Gave them what they wanted whether he believes it was right or not that's how he sells the numbers he does and why fans love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

He honestly did not care in the slightest . In fact , he was delighted .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭Inviere

You didn't watch the first presser then no?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Even when he done the **** the mayweathers bit with the crowd he goes ''no no no we can do better than that'' its straight out of a panto gotta laugh not one drop of bad blood between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭RoryMac

He honestly did not care in the slightest . In fact , he was delighted .

It was probably cleared with the Showtime guy before they went on stage, he looked like a kid on Xmas morning to be part of it

Mayweather isn't the brightest either,
    Conor keeps going back to if there was no rules id murder you ,all Flyod has to say if you had no ref with Diaz ud have been strangled to death and wouldn't be here,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

**** me, its all for show. Conor is putting a $100m in their pockets, you really think your man gives a **** Conor called him a weasel. Every insult, every line dropped all these guys are seen is dollar signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,031 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

rob316 wrote: »
    **** me, its all for show. Conor is putting a $100m in their pockets, you really think your man gives a **** Conor called him a weasel. Every insult, every line dropped all these guys are seen is dollar signs.

And it will be even sadder when all involved cream off their tens of millions for what will be a non-event of a fight, I can almost hear the punters now complaining after a dull affair in which neither gets hurt.

I can guarantee one thing though ....if its a success....you can bet the mortgage on a re-match.

pone2012 wrote: »
    Walk through??

Fight 1 : Finished in 2nd Round
    Fight 2 : Barely Made it out of the 5th and won by a split decision....with a lot of professionals not sure who should have got it...I had Mcgregor as a winner....but not by much .and most would share that same view

Again i'll say it...walk through?? You're delusional and haven't the first clue about fighting if you honestly believe that..he could not stand with Nate and continually trade..he constantly walked away..he had to...

When he did manage to drop him early on...he refused to engage further....that's not walking through anyone

I like Conor..Genuinely hes grown on me...but get real...he wouldn't "walk" through Nate on his worst day, in any weight class

Conor had no business fighting at 170. Was the only reason it was tough going for him.

Have you seen Nate at 155? He's a skinny fcuk. Conor would abso-fcuking-lutely walk through him.

natevjt.png

If the fight happens..... come back here and give me Evens on Nate being TKO'd by the end of the 2nd and I'll snap your hand off.

Conor had no business fighting at 170. Was the only reason it was tough going for him.

I think it was more of a stylistic problem, than a weight problem, he faced at 170. He blew the first fight, & even with all the prep for the second one, he had to play the points game. Diaz is a nightmare for Conor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Have you seen Nate at 155? He's a skinny fcuk. Conor would abso-fcuking-lutely walk through him.

natevjt.png

If the fight happens..... come back here and give me Evens on Nate being TKO'd by the end of the 2nd and I'll snap your hand off.

I thought you were fishing but am starting to get worried you're not, you've over taken Wonder in fanboy stakes incredibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

He does enough to put himself down. I didn't make him say he'd sign away his purse. I didn't make him call Mayweather "boy", knowing the connotations. I didn't make him throw his national flag at Mayweather.

The fanboys are laughable, excusing everything he does.

I'm not a fanboy in any sense of the word.

But you are literally the exact opposite of a McGregor fanboy and that's even more laughable. You won't give him an ounce of credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

natevjt.png

Yeah don't think its a weight thing, Conor scraped through the second fight, one judge had it a draw too.

He lost in the 2nd round to Diaz the first time around, do people forget this? It then took 5 rounds and a decision to get him the victory. Diaz's sub of Conor is more impressive then the decision victory Conor has over him...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Diaz, having been finished one in his career, to be finished by the end of the second? Gladly give anyone evens on that.

Diaz, having been finished one in his career, to be finished by the end of the second? Gladly give anyone evens on that.

Nice one.
    Yeah don't think its a weight thing....

Makes a huge difference when punching a fighter of Nate's caliber whether the fight as it 170 or 155.

Dana's a dickhead and all...... but I agree with his comment 'There are weight classes for a reason'.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah don't think its a weight thing, Conor scraped through the second fight, one judge had it a draw too.

He lost in the 2nd round to Diaz the first time around, do people forget this? It then took 5 rounds and a decision to get him the victory. Diaz's sub of Conor is more impressive then the decision victory Conor has over him...

Most of Diaz's losses went to a decision. He's been TKO'd once and submitted once. The guy has a strong chin so he's difficult to knock out and he's got great jitsu so he's difficult to submit.

Also, he didn't scrape through. He won a majority decision. Most of the media scored it in favour of McGregor too.

http://mmadecisions.com/decision/7244/Conor-McGregor-vs-Nate-Diaz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Nice one.

Makes a huge difference when punching a fighter of Nate's caliber whether the fight as it 170 or 155.

Dana's a dickhead and all...... but I agree with his comment 'There are weight classes for a reason'.

Do you think Conor would beat Woodley?

And objectively which win s better? Nates sub over Conor or Conors decision over Nate?

Normally I'd agree, but not when it comes to Diaz, he's an anomaly. A full on shin to the head dazed him, can't see many fists, no matter the weight class, putting him to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

He does enough to put himself down. I didn't make him say he'd sign away his purse. I didn't make him call Mayweather "boy", knowing the connotations. I didn't make him throw his national flag at Mayweather.

The fanboys are laughable, excusing everything he does.

There are very few (if any) "fanboys" on this forum. Conor McGregor, quite obviously, has a lot of supporters in this country and globally but you'll actually find that the "fanboys" are the first and most vocal to criticize Conor when it's warranted.

This isn't reddit or youtube. We don't have "49-1" or "Lord Conor Bless" posts every 2 minutes. We have (at times) some healthy debate.

Calling people "fanboys" when they disagree with your views is at best intellectually lazy and at worst rather childish. I've been guilty of the reverse in the past in calling people a 'hater' so i'm not preaching from any sort of moral high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Nate just doesn't know when to quit, you drop him, he'll get back up again and again. He will take some ridiculous punishment. He's an awkward match for Conor stylistically and has a similar reach so no advantage for Conor which he usually has.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,038 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

pone2012 wrote: »

As above, it wasn't a split decision.
    Only 1 out of 20 media scores were in Diaz favour. It was a close fight, but fairly clear cut 3 rounds to 2. Lots of retrospective made up scoring to try to Nate, thats about it.
    A rematch wouldn't be a cake walk though, silly to claim that on the evidence from 196 and 202

Mellor wrote: »
    A rematch wouldn't be a cake walk though

Agreed, he's a stylistic nightmare for Conor.

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    .... can't see many fists, no matter the weight class, putting him to sleep.

Would agree with that which is why I said TKO.

I know Nate is on record as saying that he exaggerated the affect the punches had on him (as a ply to try and get Conor to the ground) but I don't by that, as you could see his legs went and he was clearly trying to stay on his feet...............

.........and at 155 he's gonna feel the effect of those punches far more and I think McGregor will not be as shy about going in to finish him off then as a result.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement