Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

shanec1928 wrote: »
    anyone using any 3rd party led light strips with hue?

I use third party bulbs with hue hub alright, Osram.

Will be buying a gledopto light strip from Amazon soon I think. Compatible with hue hub

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

shanec1928 wrote: »
    anyone using any 3rd party led light strips with hue?
    Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Will be buying a gledopto light strip from Amazon soon I think. Compatible with hue hub

I have the original Hue, the Gledopto modules and the Lidl strips. All work with the Hue Hubs without problems.

I also have Hue, Innr, Müller Tint, Ikea and Lidl bulbs. No issues there either. Also Innr and Lidl switched sockets. Lidl powerstrips will not work with the Hue Hub.

Everything apart from the Ikea ones pair straight with the Hue Hub without issues. The Ikea ones typically require to be paired using Touchlink.

You just need to be aware, that stuff like Hue Sync only will work with genuine Hue bulbs/strips. Otherwise .. everything else works perfectly.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 19,741 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

woke up this morning to find that a fox has been missing with my Lilys and bloody chewed through one of them,

anyone have any idea how they open up, appear to be sealed units :(

Image.jpg

I have IFTTT setup so if motion is detected at the ring doorbell the hue lights come on. However, they stay on. Is there a way to have them go off automatically after say 15 mins? Don't want them on all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

I have IFTTT setup so if motion is detected at the ring doorbell the hue lights come on. However, they stay on. Is there a way to have them go off automatically after say 15 mins? Don't want them on all the time

Mine are set up to blink when motion detected on ring. Not sure if there on /off but be interesting if there was

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Cyrus wrote: »
    woke up this morning to find that a fox has been missing with my Lilys and bloody chewed through one of them,

Probably can't or best not to open them with the IP65 rating. You might be able to do a solder job on the cable though to get it back working. Its 24v

Davy wrote: »
    Probably can't or best not to open them with the IP65 rating. You might be able to do a solder job on the cable though to get it back working. Its 24v

As you can see I have very little to play with

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Anybody got a sync box set up controlling lights around their tv, with different devices in the different inputs?

'Cause I've had a fill of trying to get mine working, and I'm gonna chuck it in the fire.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You could do this with Alexa routines using the 'wait' feature without using IFTTT.

Trigger when: Motion Ring
    Action: Light A on
    Action: Wait 15 minutes
    Action: Light A off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Cyrus wrote: »

Image.jpg

It’s tight but you’d be able to get a connector block on it. Do you know any electricians?

• Advertisement

Davy wrote: »
    You could do this with Alexa routines using the 'wait' feature without using IFTTT.

Trigger when: Motion Ring
    Action: Light A on
    Action: Wait 15 minutes
    Action: Light A off

That works. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

This may be common knowledge to everyone else, but I just discovered it yesterday.

"Hey google, wake the bedroom light" gradually increases the brightness of the light over 30 minutes. Similarly "sleep the bedroom light" will dim it slowly over 30 minutes.

I have routines set for weekday wake up times within the Hue app, but it's handy at the weekends if you don't want to go from pitch dark to full brightness immediately.

Thoie wrote: »
    "Hey google, wake the bedroom light" gradually increases the brightness of the light over 30 minutes. Similarly "sleep the bedroom light" will dim it slowly over 30 minutes.

That must be triggering Hue's sunrise/sunset routine, which is unique to Philips Hue. None of the other brands have that feature (that I know of).

/M

Soarer wrote: »
    Anybody got a sync box set up controlling lights around their tv, with different devices in the different inputs?

Yes. I've got a Google Chromecast in one input and a bluray player in another port.

It's just an automatic HDMI switch. Whatever device is sending a signal is selected automatically. Or you can select the port via the app.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Marlow wrote: »
    Yes. I've got a Google Chromecast in one input and a bluray player in another port.

It's just an automatic HDMI switch. Whatever device is sending a signal is selected automatically. Or you can select the port via the app.

/M

Thanks.

Mine didn't work properly. Suspect it's the SkyQ box being a bollox.
    Swapped it for another, same issue.
    So gave up and returned it.

Also returned my Striplight.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

great deal at argos.ie

Lily 4 light unit plus a

philips hue bridge all togther for 255.64 euros

Philips Hue Bridge
    Philips Hue Bridge 700/7415
    €59.99
    This price only applies if all items in this offer are bought together. Click on the product name for full offer details.
    Philips Hue Smart Outdoor Spotlight Base Kit
    Philips Hue Smart Outdoor Spotlight Base Kit 839/3616
    €195.65
    This price only applies if all items in this offer are bought together. Click on the product name for full offer details.
    Total:
    Includes special offer saving (if you buy all items together at one store):
    €255.64‡
    €125.00

lardarse wrote: »
    great deal at argos.ie

Lily 4 light unit plus a

philips hue bridge all togther for 255.64 euros

Philips Hue Bridge
    Philips Hue Bridge 700/7415
    €59.99
    Philips Hue Smart Outdoor Spotlight Base Kit
    Philips Hue Smart Outdoor Spotlight Base Kit 839/3616
    €195.65
    Total:
    €255.64‡
    €125.00

super deal

I may have to look at that. That really is a good deal. I just bought a Lily XL, so my outdoor PSU is now maxed.

/M

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Good deal, very annoying idea that you buy a hub you don’t need to get the lily spots cheaper though! I could do with a 2 or 3 sets of spot lights, if could get 4 lily spots for 200 each set, would probably buy 3. Don’t want 3 extra hubs for the extra 150 though. Having said that, seems like the cheapest way to get 4 lily spots. Arghhh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

lardarse wrote: »
    great deal at argos.ie

Total:
    €255.64‡
    €125.00

Picked mine up this morning, thanks. Note, despite the reservation email confirming the €255.64, if you put the reservation number into one of the collection machines, it comes up as €380+ If you bring it to a checkout they can sort it out with your reservation number.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Thoie wrote: »
    Picked mine up this morning, thanks. Note, despite the reservation email confirming the €255.64, if you put the reservation number into one of the collection machines, it comes up as €380+ If you bring it to a checkout they can sort it out with your reservation number.

Looks like the price has increased

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

Looks like the price has increased

No still working and you can now get it for home delivery.
    You have to go to the special offer tab on the base unit and add both in, to get the discount.
    Still coming in as €255.64

• Registered Users Posts: 15,248 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Had a bit of a mare yesterday trying to apply the LED light strip to the back of the TV. The pinching on the corner seemed to be the main contributing factor but the sticky tape part is not exactly the strongest. The pinch just would not stick.

I can't see to find any of the right angle plastic connectors online to use after cutting the strip, and I'm also unsure about any flexible connectors. Any advice?

Fitz* wrote: »
    I can't see to find any of the right angle plastic connectors online to use after cutting the strip, and I'm also unsure about any flexible connectors. Any advice?

What kind of a strip ? White, Warm-White, White+Color, Warm-white+Color ? How many pins ? Generic strip or genuine Philips Hue ?

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 15,248 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Marlow wrote: »
    What kind of a strip ? White, Warm-White, White+Color, Warm-white+Color ? How many pins ? Generic strip or genuine Philips Hue ?

/M

It's the 6 pin Philips Hue Lightstrip Plus v4 White & Colour Ambiance.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Fitz* wrote: »
    Had a bit of a mare yesterday trying to apply the LED light strip to the back of the TV. The pinching on the corner seemed to be the main contributing factor but the sticky tape part is not exactly the strongest. The pinch just would not stick.

Loop over, I wouldn't cut, another bit of tap or a little super glue to give extra hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

I saw a bargain alert on the Amazon deal thread where the outdoor sensor was reduced to about £16 - back up to 30 something now, but there was a comment about poor reviews. I was wondering whether anybody here has one or two and if you find them overly sensitive?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Pete123456 wrote: »
    I saw a bargain alert on the Amazon deal thread where the outdoor sensor was reduced to about £16 - back up to 30 something now, but there was a comment about poor reviews. I was wondering whether anybody here has one or two and if you find them overly sensitive?

I have six sensors though the house and one outside and they've been great. Some of them are about 5 years old and haven't even had a battery change yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭PreCocious

Pete123456 wrote: »

I have indoor ones and they're perfect.

I have one outdoor unit and I don't find any issues with sensitivity - works exactly as I want it for my patio. Sensitivity can be adjusted via the app.

I had a look at that thread and there were nearly 5k reviews and only 2-3% poor.

• Advertisement

I have quite a few indoor sensors and they work perfectly.

The outdoor ones, that I have, I haven't fitted yet. But I expect them to work fine the same.

/M

Advertisement