Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

AngelaRI wrote: »
    Has anyone else notice similar with their own Hue Hub/Lights - after my Hue Hub updated a few days ago (first hub update in a while, normally it's just the lights getting updates), my 'wake up' routine started going wonky - lights turning on like 2 hours later and I'm waking up in the dark to my alarm clock! Evening 'lights off routine' is still grand.
    When I go into routines, 'wake up' isn't in the list, but I can't re-add it as the name already exists (so I recreated with a slightly different name, let's see if the lights come on tomorrow as scheduled)

And to be safe, in case I turned them off in my sleep, I checked my Google Assistant activity (I'm a Google Gal, no Alexa) and there were no 'turn off the lights' commands sleep talking (I have been known to snooze my phone alarm in my sleep, so I had to check!)

All very strange. I don't want to reset the hub as I have it exactly as I want it (or had it until a few days ago), but if things don't resolve I may resort to that. The last time I did that I had to re-add all the lights by serial number as it wasn't having anything to do with 'scan for lights'...

Looks like it could be the app deleting routines from the hub, and not the hub itself - I found mention of the Hue Pro app, which was able to connect to the hub and didn't find those missing routines, so they are well gone.

Happened again today: routines added back Wednesday, Thursday morning lights came on, today at quarter past midnight they started fading in, and this morning - nothing.. I've submitted feedback via App store, not sure what else to do, seems this is an old bug that has resurfaced (found mention of the same thing from 2016!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Im sure youve all seen this already but the smart devices for sale in Lidl at the moment will all link to the Hue app. I picked up a few of the smart sockets and bulbs and so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Im sure youve all seen this already but the smart devices for sale in Lidl at the moment will all link to the Hue app. I picked up a few of the smart sockets and bulbs and so far so good.

Did you get the smart extension lead ? Was looking at it but not sure if it works with Alexa

Tired of manually turning off the Xmas lights before heading to bed.....First world problems :)

Did you get the smart extension lead ? Was looking at it but not sure if it works with Alexa

Tired of manually turning off the Xmas lights before heading to bed.....First world problems :)

Not yet, I was waiting to find out if the sockets on it were individually switchable or all on the one switch.

I have added mine to the christmas lights, have the tree and the outside lights plugged into an ext lead and the smart socket on the wall connected to it. Quick setup in the Hue app and I have them on a schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Not yet, I was waiting to find out if the sockets on it were individually switchable or all on the one switch.

I have added mine to the christmas lights, have the tree and the outside lights plugged into an ext lead and the smart socket on the wall connected to it. Quick setup in the Hue app and I have them on a schedule.

You have the smart extension lead connected to another smart device i.e. smart plug/socket?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭newirishman

DeadSkin wrote: »
    You have the smart extension lead connected to another smart device i.e. smart plug/socket?

That doesn't sound like a smart thing Todo.

DeadSkin wrote: »

Sorry, what I meant was that I had a (not smart) short extension lead plugged into the smart socket. I’m waiting to hear from a mate who bought the smart extension lead to find out if each individual socket on it can be switched independently or is it just like what I effectively have now all switching together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Jaysus... Get me out of here!

I've just ordered a bunch of hue GU10s, more filaments and another sensor. The whole house is done, the only light without hue is in the garden and I took it out of there because I didn't get any benefit out of it.

I may add another sensor to laundry.... Aggghhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Following installation of some spotlights (& naturally the purchase of replacement hue GU10s), I now have a small number of b22 full colour bulbs (with boxes) that I need to move on. They were very rarely used.

Any ideas if there’s a second hand market of them or should I just gift them on to my parents etc?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

OU812 wrote: »
    Following installation of some spotlights (& naturally the purchase of replacement hue GU10s), I now have a small number of b22 full colour bulbs (with boxes) that I need to move on. They were very rarely used.

Any ideas if there’s a second hand market of them or should I just gift them on to my parents etc?

I’d gift them onwards.

I’ve put old bridges and lights in my mothers and sisters house, and usually just send my old bulbs down to either of them.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Might be keen on these when I'm doing the new bbq area next year.

Philips Hue: New outdoor lighting for 2021 revealed

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

i would be interested if you dont gift them.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

I can't message you. Your inbox is full.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    I can't message you. Your inbox is full.

Should be ok now

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

If you don't decide to gift them and it's logistically easy, I'll buy a few off you, your call obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Are any of you guys running multiple zigbee bridges Apart from your Hue system?
    I bought some lidl zigbee plugs and although they pair excellent with hue system, i find the Hue app a little awkward for smart plugs to set up and control. I am thinking to purchase the Lidl Zigbee hub and running all my lidl plugs x 6 of them seperately from their lidl app. Anyone done similar or could i be opening a can of worms with 2 Zigbee hubs running simultaneously (hue and Lidl bridge)?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I bought some lidl zigbee plugs and although they pair excellent with hue system, i find the Hue app a little awkward for smart plugs to set up and control. I am thinking to purchase the Lidl Zigbee hub and running all my lidl plugs x 6 of them seperately from their lidl app. Anyone done similar or could i be opening a can of worms with 2 Zigbee hubs running simultaneously (hue and Lidl bridge)?

Feasible, but you trade in the simplicity a Hue Bridge brings in. You simply will need a hub for all of your hubs if for instance you want routines that span across both systems. You can employ Google to be one for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

The main advantage of using a single hub is around the zigbee mesh network will use all devices to extend coverage. Obviously with two hubs devices on one hub wont benefit from the mesh effect of devices on the other hub.
    So depending on how far apart your plugs are you could have some connection issues to far out sockets

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Generally, I'd recommend to stick with one type of hub.

I have 6 hubs around the house controlling 300 bulbs, tons of smart switches, a couple switched sockets and some motion sensors (yes !! you read right: 300 bulbs !!).

So, the fact, that it's 6 hubs is of course, that one hub only is recommended for 50 bulbs. The hard limit with modern Philips Hue hubs is 63 bulbs.

If you don't like the Philips Hue app, try check out either "Hue Essentials" for Android or "Hue Lights" for iOS. "Hue Essentials" would also be THE app, if you want to control multiple hubs at the same time. The "Hue Essentials" app also is able to talk to Ikea Trådfri hubs. I'm not sure, if it'll talk to the Lidl hub.

Now, the next problem obviously is, if you want to tie the Hub in with Amazon Alexa. The Philips Hue implementation can only access one Hub.

The cheap hack would be to do exactly, what you suggested: buy a Lidl (or an Ikea) Hub. That way you can tie the Hue hub in with Alexa and the Lidl or Ikea Hub seperately.

My way of dealing with it was, that because I already run OpenHAB on a board here in the house for other home automation, is that I basically connected my OpenHAB to Alexa and that can then send the commands to all 6 Hubs. I can even create groups across the hubs in OpenHAB.

If your issue is range between Zigbee devices, Ikea have a Zigbee repeater (with USB charger), that also can be paired up with the Philips Hue Hub. That could solve the issue bridging longer distances.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Marlow wrote: »
    Generally,

I have 6 hubs around the house controlling 300 bulbs, tons of smart switches, a couple switched sockets and some motion sensors (yes !! you read right: 300 bulbs !!).

/M
    Please do share some pics!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 JohnDeereIE

I already have limited "smart" capability in my house. This is mostly just smart plugs connected to lamps etc. Ready to take next step. Thousands of light bulbs available for about 10 pound per bulb. I am just wondering what the advantage is?

The main problem area is I have a driveway which has external lights, this is just on a timer and most of the time the lights are on when nobody is around and of course when someone arrives the lights have gone out. I was thinking of swapping to smart bulbs. Someone mentioned I might struggle with wifi bulbs and zigbee will give better connectivity across distance? is this correct?

I was going to buy a couple of cheap bulbs and just slot into the further light away and see if it works. Everything will be controlled by Alexa so just wondering what people think is the best option? should I start on Philips and stick to it? even at the additional cost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

I already have limited "smart" capability in my house. This is mostly just smart plugs connected to lamps etc. Ready to take next step. Thousands of light bulbs available for about 10 pound per bulb. I am just wondering what the advantage is?

The main problem area is I have a driveway which has external lights, this is just on a timer and most of the time the lights are on when nobody is around and of course when someone arrives the lights have gone out. I was thinking of swapping to smart bulbs. Someone mentioned I might struggle with wifi bulbs and zigbee will give better connectivity across distance? is this correct?

I was going to buy a couple of cheap bulbs and just slot into the further light away and see if it works. Everything will be controlled by Alexa so just wondering what people think is the best option? should I start on Philips and stick to it? even at the additional cost

You're not understanding ZigBee, you cannot just add a few bulbs the furthest away. They are mesh so you need bulbs to extend this ZigBee mesh network between the hub and your furthest bulb by adding bulbs in between. Each bulb you add extends the network. The first thing you need is a hub, you are best start with Starter kit. I got all my hue bulbs at half price in the Amazon sales, I set notifications of price drops.

Can anyone recommend a blank plate that can cover my light switches? I only have one room in the house without smart lighting, and want to keep using the switch there as it also controls the fan...

I just need to cover over the switches to stop other people using them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a blank plate that can cover my light switches? I only have one room in the house without smart lighting, and want to keep using the switch there as it also controls the fan...

I just need to cover over the switches to stop other people using them...

I have this one in a child's bedroom and fitted the hue switch magnetic holder on his bedside locker so he can move the hue switch to beside his bed at night
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H8LF1RM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_TVB6Fb6GCVS7V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08B44JDLY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

This covers the light switch - I have it at the bottom of the stairs to as there's a motion sensor.

This covers the light switch - I have it at the bottom of the stairs to as there's a motion sensor.

This looks good. Very expensive though. I might wait for the new Philips switch/cover and see if they match the price of the current one.

Alkers wrote: »
    Please do share some pics!!!

Our guest room, as an example.

50182486092_d519917033_c.jpg

The entire house has these chandeliers everywhere. Some with 5 bulbs, some with 8 bulbs. All with small bayonet fittings. And the majority were old 30W bulbs. So with 300 bulbs across the place, that's a draw of approx 9 kW just from lights :)

I figured, the best thing was just basically go smart home.

Now .. 300 Philips Hue bulbs would cost a fortune. Especially color ones. We only got those for the living and game room. Every other room, I've got warm white Ikea trådfri bulbs at 8 EUR a piece. Luckily they decreased the price just at the start of the first lockdown (from 15 EUR before). Ikea also has the E14 to small bayonet adapters at dirt cheap pricing (I think 1.50 EUR for two).

To avoid, that the lights physically get switched off, I've used faceplates for the existing switches. (in the picture, that wasn't fitted yet).

Here is an example:
    50427449773_e189a5abfc_z.jpg

I've used various different switches: Hue Smart button as above, Hue dimmer switch, Hue Tap switch, Friends of Hue Smart switch, etc. Most of them mounted in the same manner.

So should your lights go wonky, you can pop the plate and get access to the physical switch underneath, but nobody is able to turn the lights off physically normally.

The speaker lamps in the picture are Ikea Sonos lamps, also with smart bulbs in them.

All of that is then also tied in with Alexa devices across the house and with Hue motion sensors in the hallways and outside. That way, you don't have to give guests access to every single hub or the app at all. All of this is also tied into OpenHAB running on an Odroid board.

I was in Lidl today to grab the last couple of Zigbee LED strips, they had on the shelf. The Lidl bulbs and led strips pair with the Hue hub without problems. So it's another nice cheap option, as long as we can get them.

As I said, I've got a mixture of Philips Hue and Ikea bulbs here. But I also have bulbs from Müller, Innr and now Lidl. I also have Gledopto led strip drivers, that also work on the Philips Hue hub.

Motion sensors generally don't work across the brands. Lidl's powerstrip seemingly also won't work with the Hue hub, but their single switched sockets will. I also have Innr switched sockets, that work just dandy.

/M

I have these for the Hue dimmer switches:
    https://www.samotech.co.uk/products/philips-hue-dimmer-converter-cover-raised-switch/

This for a holding 2 dimmers:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D5KJ4B6

This for the Hue smart button:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083XJQC9X

This one for the Hue tap switch:
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Philips-Hue-Tap-UK-Light-Switch-Converter-Adapter-Cover/192451792734

All of them a good bit cheaper that your one. But they follow the same principle. And yes ... it helps preventing people switching things non smart.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Anybody got a Gradient Strip installed.

Did mine today, but the top bit got a bit confused when herself was watching Emmerdale earlier.
    Don’t know if there’s a problem with the lights, the sync box, or maybe the fact that Emmerdale is absolute tripe.

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    or maybe the fact that Emmerdale is absolute tripe.

That's the problem right there :) ( add's gradients strip to the shopping list ).

I do have 2 Sync boxes, but I'm using a normal strips with one tv and 2 play lights plus a strip with the one in the livingroom.

Anyhow .. I got my hands on a few more left overs in Lidl today. One of them was the switched socket.

50776181108_2f95261487_c.jpg

50776181088_d6be1ac3e8_c.jpg

50776938041_cf8226ec1d_c.jpg

The other socket there is the INNR switched Zigbee socket. The Lidl (Silvercrest) one is much chunkier. What also is interesting, that the Lidl one is fused, the INNR one isn't.

Both have an on/off button and both are rated 13A .... which is a lot better than the genuine Hue one. Can't remember, what it's rated for, but it's only enough to drive a lamp of it. So these are a much better pick.

The INNR one, I've used for over half a year. Can't fault it.

/M

Advertisement