Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

I don’t get the advantage of this
    What is it actually accomplishing?

Would you not be better off with dimmer switch and a faceplate to cover the conventional switch
    Cheaper and has more options such as multiple pressing and dimming etc

Agreed. It looks like a dumb solution for controlling a smart light :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

To use the dimmer switches you still have the dumb switch on the wall and people inevitably use that sometimes. Or like in my house the toddler swtiches all the dimmers around or hides them. This is just another option for people. It would be a good one for many if it didn't have crazy Hue tax applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I think one of the things that puts people some people off installing, or certainly expanding, a house wide Hue solution is what to do with the switches.

You’re 100% on this. I’m currently pricing a Hue hub and bulbs etc but I cannot get my head around how I’m going to do the switches.

I was going to trial one room and see how it goes. My other half isn’t that tech inclined so I really need a simple solution to the switch for the main light but there’s a few available and I don’t know which is easiest. I wonder should I leave the remaining switch there and cover it or whether I should take the old one out but then I haven’t a clue about wiring.

Then there’s the whole question of double dumb switches for two lights in the one room and trying to control them separately using hue switches. Would I have to mount two hue switches? Just awkward all around for me but I need to do more research.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Why not just leave the normal switches as they are? No need to remove them.

I’m an electrician and have hue all over my house, its all on set routines and I also have google minis for voice commands, no need to use the switches but they are there should i decide to revert to normal lighting in the future (highly unlikely)

Why not just leave the normal switches as they are? No need to remove them.

I’m an electrician and have hue all over my house, its all on set routines and I also have google minis for voice commands, no need to use the switches but they are there should i decide to revert to normal lighting in the future (highly unlikely)

Well my understanding is if someone turns it off via the dumb switch then I can’t control it via Siri or through my phone. Hence they need to be always switched on? There’s people in my house who’d turn off the dumb switches the whole time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Well my understanding is if someone turns it off via the dumb switch then I can’t control it via Siri or through my phone. Hence they need to be always switched on? There’s people in my house who’d turn off the dumb switches the whole time.

That’s correct, everyone got used to it fairly quickly in my house so no body touches the switches anymore, they’re just left permanently on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

That’s correct, everyone got used to it fairly quickly in my house so no body touches the switches anymore, they’re just left permanently on

I have a 3 gang switch at the bottom of the stairs which visitors (remember them?) would always interfere with so I put a cover over it. All other switches are just left on.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

They are a sledgehammer to crack a nut and look v. Expensive for multi switches, but I think they are a great solution. I have some quite expensive ‘modern’ imported switches that are basically a large white square, no border, throughout the house. In the living room, it’s a single unit, so putting one of these converters on it so it works for everyone in the house, but hue routines/google commands will always work is useful. Same in bedrooms. Assuming can fit them, they don’t look great for chased out wiring.

Not so good in bathrooms, where fan is wired to main switch, or in my 3 and 4 way switches for hall, kitchen, outside light etc, as wiring is already massively tight behind them, so way could add 3 or 4 of these.

Still though they will have their place for sure and I’m sure could have more features added, so could be very useful in retrofits instead of rewiring to control multiple lights.

Is there a way to make a hue bulb return back to a regular colour whenever it is turned back on? I know if I switch it off via the physical socket it will revert back to a normal colour when switched on again. But if I switch on and off via the app the same colour comes back.

Edit: Also, could anyone recommend a switch that covers the dumb switch and controls the light? On off functions only, dimming a plus. I’m not sure which to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Is there a way to make a hue bulb return back to a regular colour whenever it is turned back on? I know if I switch it off via the physical socket it will revert back to a normal colour when switched on again. But if I switch on and off via the app the same colour comes back.

Edit: Also, could anyone recommend a switch that covers the dumb switch and controls the light? On off functions only, dimming a plus. I’m not sure which to go for.

I've this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samotech%C2%AE-Light-Switch-Philips-Dimmer/dp/B07D5KJ4B6/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=hue%2Bwall%2Bswitch%2Bcover&qid=1611139726&sr=8-1&th=1 which the dimmer switch slots in to. Options available for double switches too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Looks like they've a new dimmer switch coming too... looks like it's purely cosmetic though. Could be wrong, can't find a ton of info on it just yet.

https://i.imgur.com/P259QAn.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Shlippery wrote: »
    Looks like they've a new dimmer switch coming too... looks like it's purely cosmetic though. Could be wrong, can't find a ton of info on it just yet.

https://i.imgur.com/P259QAn.png

Similar to the existing one, but the two central buttons have been replaced with a rocker and the mount has been made so that it fits over a standard euro switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,912 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Shlippery wrote: »

Spec is up on the UK Hue site

https://www.philips-hue.com/en-gb/p/hue-dimmer-switch--latest-model-/8719514274617

(Bluefoam has the changes spot on)

Does anyone know if you can use a hue dimmer switch with Osram Smart+ bulb?

My current setup is homebridge on raspberry pi with a hue bridge on the network. The bulbs are zigbee and compatible with Hue Bridge. There’s also a homebridge plugin that will expose the Osram bulbs to home app. So in theory it will work fine. But switches is what I’m curious about

tonc76 wrote: »

I ordered one of those when you posted it. Remarkably, it arrived yesterday. It's s bit bulky but an excellent solution - I used it to cover the old switch in the bedroom and now have my dimmer switch at the door where it makes most sense.

tonc76 wrote: »

Thanks. Now to get an actual hue dimmer switch. Everywhere I’m looking they are around 28/30€ delivered. Is this to be expected for a single switch?

Thanks. Now to get an actual hue dimmer switch. Everywhere I’m looking they are around 28/30€ delivered. Is this to be expected for a single switch?

I paid about £14 for them in December. The price should drop.

Wait until the new model comes into stock in the next couple of weeks. List price is £17.99/€19.99. So with free shipping (e.g. Amazon Prime free trial if you don't have it already), even without a discount (which happens from time to time if you look out for it), you should be able to get it cheaper than what you're currently looking at.

Wait until the new model comes into stock in the next couple of weeks. List price is £17.99/€19.99. So with free shipping (e.g. Amazon Prime free trial if you don't have it already), even without a discount (which happens from time to time if you look out for it), you should be able to get it cheaper than what you're currently looking at.

Thanks. Will keep an eye out. Sold out in most places now and anywhere that has them is pricey enough or really long delivery. Checked adverts etc and none there either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

OK so bought a few bulbs just to test the light output and glad to see they are impressive.
    Question is, do people have an Alexa in every room to turn on/off? now I do have one in most rooms but just wondering. At the moment my wife is used to the smart plugs but with the lights she is just turning them on/off all the time :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

OK so bought a few bulbs just to test the light output and glad to see they are impressive.
    Question is, do people have an Alexa in every room to turn on/off? now I do have one in most rooms but just wondering. At the moment my wife is used to the smart plugs but with the lights she is just turning them on/off all the time :-)

Sensors, routines and get the dimmer switch etc....
    Put apps on phones and get her using that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Going smart should not require changing the behaviour or the way you are used to. The natural way of switching the light on/off is by using a switch - and stick with that.

Get Hue switches (discussed in posts just above) that cover existing switches, so you can use routines and automations while still having access to physical controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

And depending how far the devices are from each other, you may find a different one picks up your command instead, which is annoying if you're using a shortcut for the devices in the same logical room (per set up in your app): e.g I have Google Home Minis in my office, and spare room right next to it, and when I say 'Hey Google, Turn off the lights' in the office, sometimes the bedroom mini picks it up instead and turns off the bedroom light instead of office

What’s the Hue solution to a 3-gang 2 way light switch? I have one at the front door and theres a corresponding one at the top of the stairs for the same lights.

Would love Hue throughout the house but it’s the like of this that I can’t figure out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    What’s the Hue solution to a 3-gang 2 way light switch? I have one at the front door and theres a corresponding one at the top of the stairs for the same lights.

Would love Hue throughout the house but it’s the like of this that I can’t figure out

Set the physical switches so that all circuits are on. Cover both with HUE wireless dimmers.

grogi wrote: »
    Set the physical switches so that all circuits are on. Cover both with physical switches with wireless dimmers.

https://cdn.aws.toolstation.com/images/141020-UK/800/20017.jpg

This is what I’ve got. I’d have to remove the faceplate altogether and out three dimmers on there? That would be huge? I want to control each light individually.

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    https://cdn.aws.toolstation.com/images/141020-UK/800/20017.jpg

This is what I’ve got. I’d have to remove the faceplate altogether and out three dimmers on there? That would be huge? I want to control each light individually.

Have a think if you need to control all 3 lights by a switch in the same place. For instance, I've a similar triple switch in my hallway, controlling the hall light, landing light and outdoor light above the front door.

I've put the landing light on a sensor, so that anyone coming out of any of the upstairs rooms turns it on, as does anyone who sets foot on the stairs. That's one light that is ideal for being switchless. The outdoor light I have on an automated timer, but I also wanted a switch for it. So I got a Hue Button and mounted it on the wall beside the front door, but in a different place to where the triple switch is. So the triple switch is now reduced down to being one switch to control the hallway light. Currently that isn't a Hue light on account of the specific light fitting there, and is manually controlled.

If you truly do need all 3 switches, it might be possible to fit three Hue Buttons on a blanking plate. I've 2 in my bedroom:

541785.jpg

You might be able to get 3 side by side, or you'll definitely be able to get 3 mounted in a triangle formation. You could also consider mounting two on the blanking plate like I have, and then the third one somewhere else nearby. You'll get two Hue dimmer switches side by side on a standard blanking plate, but three will end up being wider than the plate.

You can mount the buttons or dimmer switches and the plate that comes with them with adhesive, so it doesn't have to be a permanent thing.

Note that the buttons themselves are magnetically attached, so they are designed to be removed. They can be easily knocked off, or kids can just remove them and hide them. In order to install a blanking plate like I have, you'd have to remove the switch and use terminal blocks to connect the wiring, and have that hidden behind the blanking plate. You'll need to be comfortable with the basics of domestic electrical wiring (the ability to change a plug, for instance) to do that.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, there's clip-on covers you can get to put over your switch and mount the Hue switches or buttons, but I haven't seen any that can accommodate 3, and they are quite bulky. Also the ones that take the 2 buttons always seem to be out of stock.

Have a think if you need to control all 3 lights by a switch in the same place. For instance, I've a similar triple switch in my hallway, controlling the hall light, landing light and outdoor light above the front door.

I've put the landing light on a sensor, so that anyone coming out of any of the upstairs rooms turns it on, as does anyone who sets foot on the stairs. That's one light that is ideal for being switchless. The outdoor light I have on an automated timer, but I also wanted a switch for it. So I got a Hue Button and mounted it on the wall beside the front door, but in a different place to where the triple switch is. So the triple switch is now reduced down to being one switch to control the hallway light. Currently that isn't a Hue light on account of the specific light fitting there, and is manually controlled.

If you truly do need all 3 switches, it might be possible to fit three Hue Buttons on a blanking plate. I've 2 in my bedroom:

541785.jpg

You might be able to get 3 side by side, or you'll definitely be able to get 3 mounted in a triangle formation. You could also consider mounting two on the blanking plate like I have, and then the third one somewhere else nearby. You'll get two Hue dimmer switches side by side on a standard blanking plate, but three will end up being wider than the plate.

You can mount the buttons or dimmer switches and the plate that comes with them with adhesive, so it doesn't have to be a permanent thing.

Note that the buttons themselves are magnetically attached, so they are designed to be removed. They can be easily knocked off, or kids can just remove them and hide them. In order to install a blanking plate like I have, you'd have to remove the switch and use terminal blocks to connect the wiring, and have that hidden behind the blanking plate. You'll need to be comfortable with the basics of domestic electrical wiring (the ability to change a plug, for instance) to do that.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, there's clip-on covers you can get to put over your switch and mount the Hue switches or buttons, but I haven't seen any that can accommodate 3, and they are quite bulky. Also the ones that take the 2 buttons always seem to be out of stock.

Thanks for this reply, good info here. Not sure about the wiring, I’m fairly handy around the house but one gap in my knowledge is wiring & electrics! Can wire a plug but that’s about it. Will need a blank face plate too I assume. Will look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

anyone using any 3rd party led light strips with hue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

shanec1928 wrote: »
    anyone using any 3rd party led light strips with hue?

I use a couple of different options including the lidl one which is ok, the bulbs not so much.

I have also made a couple up using the likes of this.

These are more dependent on the quality of power supply and led strip used. With any of these options you loose some functionality like entertainment areas and power on behaviour, so depending how and where you want to use them this may be important. I think if you can get a deal on the hue led strip it is a better option.

Advertisement