Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I’ve a sensor at the top of my stairs for the landing light. Most of the time it works great, but sometimes it doesn’t switch on the light until you’re half way up the stairs, or if coming out of one of the bedrooms, until you’ve waved your hand right in front of it. I’ve Daylight and Motion sensitivity set to the max, and I’ve reset the unit a couple of times. Don’t know if I’m doing anything else wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I have inside one outside in outdoor porch area.
    Works perfect

3 inside, no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Thanks all - I was confident enough in them alright. Does anyone have any opinions of the outdoor bollards? For a driveway or that. Standard semi d but was thinking of putting in 4 or 5 bollards at the edges.

I’m between two minds in looking at the likes of the Lucca bollard or just get cheaper bollard lights and add hue bulbs. There is wiring ready to be set up so I’m not just limited to low voltage.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Thanks all - I was confident enough in them alright. Does anyone have any opinions of the outdoor bollards? For a driveway or that. Standard semi d but was thinking of putting in 4 or 5 bollards at the edges.

I’m between two minds in looking at the likes of the Lucca bollard or just get cheaper bollard lights and add hue bulbs. There is wiring ready to be set up so I’m not just limited to low voltage.

I’ve recently put in two outdoor ones and working well, you don’t have as much sensitivity adjustment as some stand-alone units, but most of the complaints are due to poor positioning. If you point it where it can catch a road, or people then even at lowest setting it will likely go off. It’s a combination of positioning and sensitivity that’s key, it’s why I moved over to them rather than the ones built into light position.

I have two, one point back into garden and one lower pointing parallel. So far it’s working perfectly.

I’m also looking at bollards, hue have two options, the Low voltage ones that you can put in line with their spots etc. they would be practical for me in back garden if hardwiring them off the initial point rather than using a plug is practical.

For front garden I’m looking at the standard wiring bollards, although all of those models have a non hue equivalent which is much better value, as much as 50€ per bollard for the hue bulb. I have wiring run, my main issue is mounting and making them safe. A more difficult job than low voltage ones.

Pete123456 wrote: »

I plan on getting other bollards eventually which will take the e27 size lamp.

On a side not, have the house all lit green.

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    I’ve recently put in two outdoor ones and working well, you don’t have as much sensitivity adjustment as some stand-alone units, but most of the complaints are due to poor positioning. If you point it where it can catch a road, or people then even at lowest setting it will likely go off. It’s a combination of positioning and sensitivity that’s key, it’s why I moved over to them rather than the ones built into light position.

I have two, one point back into garden and one lower pointing parallel. So far it’s working perfectly.

I’m also looking at bollards, hue have two options, the Low voltage ones that you can put in line with their spots etc. they would be practical for me in back garden if hardwiring them off the initial point rather than using a plug is practical.

For front garden I’m looking at the standard wiring bollards, although all of those models have a non hue equivalent which is much better value, as much as 50€ per bollard for the hue bulb. I have wiring run, my main issue is mounting and making them safe. A more difficult job than low voltage ones.

Yeah I saw the low voltage ones like Calla but then you’re dependent on a driver and the unit needs to be replaced if it goes... i was also looking at non hue units and adding hue bulbs but they’re almost the same price for decent similar ones...

My Hue lights keep switching off at random intervals and it's driving me mad. I've had a look at the Hue App and other routines from other apps it says there's no routines set up. I've gone through other routines in the app and there's only the one and it has the lights come on everyday at 7.30pm and off at 12.

Anyone any ideas? It's all the Hue lights in the house at this

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

On a side not, have the house all lit green.

Haha .. yes .. for Paddy's day all outdoor lights had to be green. Had to be like that.

/M

My Hue lights keep switching off at random intervals and it's driving me mad. I've had a look at the Hue App and other routines from other apps it says there's no routines set up. I've gone through other routines in the app and there's only the one and it has the lights come on everyday at 7.30pm and off at 12.

Try an update, see if all else fails reset.

Is it set to Dublin time or London?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Marlow wrote: »
    Haha .. yes .. for Paddy's day all outdoor lights had to be green. Had to be like that.

/M

i tried that too, but forgot that i had the older bulbs that can't display green properly. I had picked up 10 for about 100 from currys and put these outside and brought the 10 current bulbs indoors instead, but watery yellowy greenish lights are not a good look at any time, least of all st patricks day.

Is there any fix for that issue on the older bulbs?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

ablelocks wrote: »
    Is there any fix for that issue on the older bulbs?

No.

The 'fix' was simply to buy the newer 'Richer Colour' bulbs that gave off a proper green.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Purchased these to integrate into hue for some outdoor lighting for a flowerbed. No problem being picked up be the hue hub and just need to pick up some armoured cable to get them installed, hopefully when outside they are still in range of the hub.

Cost about €62 delivered and quite impressed for the money and have since ordered the mini set and extension, price gone up slightly since I ordered.

Bear in mind that they come with a Euro 2 pin power supply so an adapter and sizeable waterproof junction box will be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

THE ALM wrote: »
    Purchased these to integrate into hue for some outdoor lighting for a flowerbed. No problem being picked up be the hue hub and just need to pick up some armoured cable to get them installed, hopefully when outside they are still in range of the hub.

Cost about €62 delivered and quite impressed for the money and have since ordered the mini set and extension, price gone up slightly since I ordered.

Bear in mind that they come with a Euro 2 pin power supply so an adapter and sizeable waterproof junction box will be required.

What sort of cabling do they come with? Do they daisy chain off each other for power?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Alkers wrote: »
    What sort of cabling do they come with? Do they daisy chain off each other for power?

Powerblock connected to the zigbee controller and then about 5m 5 core cable to first light then 2m cable between subsequent lights. Connector on end of last light to add an extension for 3 further lights.

Will get some images at night when all connected to give an idea.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

THE ALM wrote: »

I used osram gu10s initially, kinda worked, but not properly with hue. Off in hue was ‘almost off’ in gu10s etc. had to use the osram hub to integrate properly. Now have a bag of 16 osram gu10s as had to replace them all.

Had their older model garden spot lights too but never put them in due to those issues, might try again if yours are reliable.

Have any folks bought batteries for the dimmer switches yet?

My most used dimmer switch in the kitchen needs a new battery, and I could find one in my local Woodies...

It’s a CR2450

They said they’d last 2 years and I must have the dimmer switch closer to 4 years at this stage...

I’ve 11-12 in total, so would be handy to pick up a 10 pack of the batteries if I could get them...

Would be handy if I could get them locally before going to Amazon!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=547617&d=1616324542

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭laros

Would be handy if I could get them locally before going to Amazon

Lidl often have packs of these batteries as a weekly special....

laros wrote: »
    Lidl often have packs of these batteries as a weekly special....

I see Halfords & the likes of ScrewFix have them, but for what they are,,, Lidl processionals would be much more attractive...

I see Halfords & the likes of ScrewFix have them, but for what they are,,, Lidl processionals would be much more attractive...

Usually key cutting places or locksmith places will have them from fobs and that, camera shops and that but realistically they’re gonna be expensive also

Edit: just had a look on Amazon, they’re much better value for several batteries than locally but it seems lost of them won’t ship to Ireland? Seems you’re left to pay €4 apiece...

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

My most used dimmer switch in the kitchen needs a new battery, and I could find one in my local Woodies...

It’s a CR2450

They said they’d last 2 years and I must have the dimmer switch closer to 4 years at this stage...

I’ve 11-12 in total, so would be handy to pick up a 10 pack of the batteries if I could get them...

Would be handy if I could get them locally before going to Amazon!!

[IMG][/img]https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=547617&d=1616324542

Any motor factors will have those as they are popular in keyfobs, or micksgarage.com have them for €3.99 https://www.micksgarage.com/g/domestic-batteries/products/95132453706/coin-cell-battery-cr2450-lithium-3v

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭laros

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Bought the V2 dimmer switch just now. Anyone know if it will work with an OSRAM smart bulb? They show in the Hue app.

DrZeuss wrote: »
    Any motor factors will have those as they are popular in keyfobs, or micksgarage.com have them for €3.99

Yep. Last time I needed some, I got them in the motor factors. They always have them and aren't pricey with them.

The battery packs in Lidl never have that particular one in them.

/M

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Bought the V2 dimmer switch just now. Anyone know if it will work with an OSRAM smart bulb? They show in the Hue app.

Anything, that's paired to your hub will work with the dimmer switch. The dimmer switch talks to the hub, the hub then talks to the bulb. At least, if you have a Philips Hue Hub.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Marlow wrote: »
    Anything, that's paired to your hub will work with the dimmer switch. The dimmer switch talks to the hub, the hub then talks to the bulb. At least, if you have a Philips Hue Hub.

/M

Thanks mate. Yes I have the hub up and running. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Did you get sorted on this? I know the post is nearly 2 weeks old but I'm well behind on this thread and playing catch up today!

I had a similar issue, my routines kept getting deleted (and not by me). Had latest app, all my devices had latest firmware, no third party apps linked. But add a routine and it's gone within 1-3 days.

Got onto Philips Hue via Twitter and they told me there's a know issue that they're working on that involves routines created for lights that are linked to Hue Dimmer Switches (I have the older dimmers, never had issues before).

They recommended I delete my dimmers from the app (I took snaps of the configs for easy reconfiguring to be just as I wanted it wrt scenes - I have 3 dimmers), and then re-add the dimmers and recreate the missing routines.

It worked for me. It's been a few weeks and I still have my routines (morning lights-on to wake up) - fingers crossed the issue doesn't resurface.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Coltrane

Hi
    My Hue bridges have stopped working over the Internet after I recently bought a third bridge (to accommodate more bulbs). Some and intermittently all of them seem to lose their Internet connections. They all connect successfully to the bulbs/devices and can be controlled successfully by the Hue App, but have no Internet connection so that some routines, out of home control, Alexa, etc, don't work.

Setup is a Linksys Velop parent node feeding an unmanaged switch feeding the three hubs.

Have tried

- giving each bridge a static IP address
    - varying the static IP addresses
    - moving some bridges off the switch (to different Internet sources)
    - leaving some bridges powered off

- of course, numerous restarts and resets!

Anyone successfully dealt with this or a similar problem?

Coltrane wrote: »
    Hi
    My Hue bridges have stopped working over the Internet after I recently bought a third bridge (to accommodate more bulbs). Some and intermittently all of them seem to lose their Internet connections. They all connect successfully to the bulbs/devices and can be controlled successfully by the Hue App, but have no Internet connection so that some routines, out of home control, Alexa, etc, don't work.

Setup is a Linksys Velop parent node feeding an unmanaged switch feeding the three hubs.

Have tried

- giving each bridge a static IP address
    - varying the static IP addresses
    - moving some bridges off the switch (to different Internet sources)
    - leaving some bridges powered off

- of course, numerous restarts and resets!

Anyone successfully dealt with this or a similar problem?

Can’t offer any help but I’m envious of anyone that has enough bulbs for 3 hubs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ITMissy

Anyone have success in going around corners with the light strip? I can't get it to sit right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

ITMissy wrote: »
    Anyone have success in going around corners with the light strip? I can't get it to sit right.

Can't comment on going around corners, but I had issues with it staying in place after removing it from some furniture... I got a packet of screw on clips and it's solid as a rock... Might be worth looking into.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/VIPMOON-mounting-included-colourless-waterproof/dp/B072N2C5XV/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=hue+strip+schraube&qid=1617308219&sr=8-3

Advertisement