Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Looks like a very good deal to me.

New to this, this will be first kit so just wanted to check.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

New to this, this will be first kit so just wanted to check.....

It's an ideal kit for starting out. Same as what I first bought, then some led colour strips. However since then I have concentrated on buying the cheapest white lights and putting more effort into automation and simplicity. The colour was a novelty for me that rarely gets used.

You'll find your own way, but that's a great kit to get started with. Enjoy, it's an endless pit of spending...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Great deal at a great price..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Bluefoam wrote: »
    It's an ideal kit for starting out. Same as what I first bought, then some led colour strips. However since then I have concentrated on buying the cheapest white lights and putting more effort into automation and simplicity. The colour was a novelty for me that rarely gets used.

You'll find your own way, but that's a great kit to get started with. Enjoy, it's an endless pit of spending...

That's the question, would I be better just to buy the standard hue starter and get more bulbs?

Also what is the light like off these? I have energy saver bulbs and I find myself in my old age struggling with the less than optimal lighting.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Hue-White-Starter-Kit/dp/B07SV87NPM/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=philips+hue+starter&qid=1609416095&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExNzFCT1hFVEdCTExOJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUExMDM4MTU2MTRWWk1QTFpDWjFHRyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDIzNzg0MkpNOTJXOEtZQTA1TCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is there going to be an issue though as from UK.... New charges

• Registered Users Posts: 15,168 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Looking for some right angle connectors for the Philips HUE v4 light strip, but can't see to find any online. Anyone know where I could pick some up?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,168 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Is there going to be an issue though as from UK.... New charges

I presume if you order it today, it should be ok as the order date was in 2020 and the charges only come in in 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Fitz* wrote: »
    I presume if you order it today, it should be ok as the order date was in 2020 and the charges only come in in 2021
    I think it's only if it's shipped today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Fitz* wrote: »
    I got stuff today from Amazon and they have already started putting the item description and the cost on the label same as getting stuff from China.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

shanec1928 wrote: »
    I got stuff today from Amazon and they have already started putting the item description and the cost on the label same as getting stuff from China.

Amazon won't be an issue anyhow. A lot is fulfilled from their Dublin Depot. And if you order with a shipping address in Ireland, then you get charged irish VAT.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Marlow wrote: »
    Amazon won't be an issue anyhow. A lot is fulfilled from their Dublin Depot. And if you order with a shipping address in Ireland, then you get charged irish VAT.

/M

You could be liable for customs charges too on delivery. If possible, best to avoid amazon.co.uk and use their European equivalents (.de, .fr, .it, .es)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,912 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

You could be liable for customs charges too on delivery. If possible, best to avoid amazon.co.uk and use their European equivalents (.de, .fr, .it, .es)

Amazon.co.uk present you with the final price, including Irish VAT and customs charges, at the checkout - they sort it out so you don't end up paying anything extra on delivery.

If you take a look, you'll see that the actual final price for most things hasn't changed much, and you still get free shipping with Prime. So in many cases, it can still be cheaper to buy from the UK site than the EU ones (although it always pays to shop around).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Isn't Amazon Prime UK gone now for people who are not in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Amazon.co.uk present you with the final price, including Irish VAT and customs charges, at the checkout - they sort it out so you don't end up paying anything extra on delivery.

If you take a look, you'll see that the actual final price for most things hasn't changed much, and you still get free shipping with Prime. So in many cases, it can still be cheaper to buy from the UK site than the EU ones (although it always pays to shop around).

No VAT on Amazon UK now for orders under about £20 . Basically a 20% price cut on everything under £20 (as long as you sick to stuff sold /fulfilled by Amazon).

Seen it here - https://www.moneyguideireland.com/buying-from-amazon-uk-after-brexit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Ogham wrote: »
    No VAT on Amazon UK now for orders under about £20 . Basically a 20% price cut on everything under £20 (as long as you sick to stuff sold /fulfilled by Amazon).

Seen it here - https://www.moneyguideireland.com/buying-from-amazon-uk-after-brexit.html

Won't you be stung for £6 delivery if you're buying under £25, so it more or less cancels out?

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Won't you be stung for £6 delivery if you're buying under £25, so it more or less cancels out?

Free delivery if you have Prime (on the many items that support Prime).

Isn't Amazon Prime UK gone now for people who are not in the UK?

No, it’s still available to us, still offering free delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Had my first bulb failure yesterday morning, after my bedroom light woke me as normal with the morning routine. Then after a few minutes it flashed several times and turned off.
    Now it's not reachable on the app but when turned on at the switch, it emits a very faint glow.
    Has anyone experienced this before - it's probably three years old but it wouldn't be heavily used at all. Very disappointing given the price of them.

• Advertisement

Alkers wrote: »
    Had my first bulb failure yesterday morning, after my bedroom light woke me as normal with the morning routine. Then after a few minutes it flashed several times and turned off.
    Now it's not reachable on the app but when turned on at the switch, it emits a very faint glow.
    Has anyone experienced this before - it's probably three years old but it wouldn't be heavily used at all. Very disappointing given the price of them.

My oldest bulbs are just over 7 years old now and still working fine (gen 1 colour bulbs)

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Alkers wrote: »

Could you get a warranty on that assuming you dont have a receipt or original box maybe Philips could cross reference the serial Number and see from date of Manufacture that it failed prematurely?

Could you get a warranty on that assuming you dont have a receipt or original box maybe Philips could cross reference the serial Number and see from date of Manufacture that it failed prematurely?

They are very good on this in fairness.

I got in touch with them on facebook a few months ago as my 3 year old outdoor lily spots had stopped working. It was the power supply unit that had failed, so they wanted to replace it, but didn't have any in stock, so sent me a whole new starter kit (PSU & 3 Lily Spots), in return for me sending back the old PSU and 3 of my 5 spots.

In terms of proof of purchase, a screenshot of the purchase from Amazon sufficed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Have 4 gu10 outside and one was not responding. Opened it up and found water inside.

So take it no good anymore as it's currently sitting on sideboard

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Have 4 gu10 outside and one was not responding. Opened it up and found water inside.

So take it no good anymore as it's currently sitting on sideboard

Yeah water tends to be a little issue with electronic equipment and especially their inners

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I had one candle bulb fail after a power outage.

The german seller (eBay), that I had bought it of as part of a badge simply refunded me the value of that one bulb and told me to bin it. It was obviously within like a month or two of me buying it.

That's the only one i've ever had fail.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

New wall switch module that you can install behind existing light switches. Nice, should help with people turning off switches

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

jester77 wrote: »
    New wall switch module that you can install behind existing light switches. Nice, should help with people turning off switches

They could also do reverse device - a backbox mounted relay managed by the Hue Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

jester77 wrote: »

I don’t get the advantage of this
    What is it actually accomplishing?

Would you not be better off with dimmer switch and a faceplate to cover the conventional switch
    Cheaper and has more options such as multiple pressing and dimming etc

• Advertisement

I don’t get the advantage of this
    What is it actually accomplishing?

Would you not be better off with dimmer switch and a faceplate to cover the conventional switch
    Cheaper and has more options such as multiple pressing and dimming etc

I think one of the things that puts people some people off installing, or certainly expanding, a house wide Hue solution is what to do with the switches. You can't just leave them, as you'll always have people who forget and turn off the light fitting. The various ways of replacing the switch have their pros and cons.

In my opinion, faceplates that cover the switch are too big and bulky. I think they'd do in some places, and it's great that they're easy to install and remove, but I wouldn't have them in my living room.

In three bedrooms, I've removed the switches, wired in a terminal block, fitted a blank plate and stuck the a Hue Button to that. So it looks like a traditional dimmer switch. The main problem is that it's easy to knock the button off, as it's only held on magnetically. Had some close calls where the button was lost for a while.

I don't like the dimmer switch as a primary wall switch. We have one mounted beside the bed, and it's great as a remote control for the bedroom lights, but I think as a replacement for a standard switch, it's too different and complicated. I think some people visiting the house (in normal times) would be confused as to how to turn on the light if they were confronted with it. TBH, there's some people living in my house that would be confused by it.

So this new offering from Hue is interesting. It allows you to keep the aesthetics, familiarity and functionality of a standard switch, while still having Hue bulbs. You do forgo the dimming and scene selection possibilities of the Button and Dimmer Switch, and they do cost more (especially now that there's a new, cheaper Dimmer coming out). But I can see a couple of places in my house where I think this will be a good solution.

So, it's certainly not a perfect, universal solution, but I do think it adds an interesting option to the possible ways of solving the issue.

Personally, I'd like a replacement smart switch plate in the style and presentation of a dimmer switch (allows for presses and turns). This would allow for manual control, dimming, scenes, in something that looks neat and discrete, but isn't removable and losable.

Advertisement