Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

And, I would guess similar to the new Play HDMI Sync Box that was released, it can only light one colour at a time, making is considerably less effective. The tv's display several colours at a time each side of the tv.

https://www2.meethue.com/en-us/p/hue...-/046677555221

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Set up hue stream today on the nviada shield and it works excellently, now I must try convince himself we need another light strip.

In out little 70m2 cottage we have
    8 bulbs
    1 sensor
    4 switches
    5m light strips

Might not sound like much but every room has 2-6 smart home gadgets and he's not one bit interested in any of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

Set up hue stream today on the nviada shield and it works excellently, now I must try convince himself we need another light strip.

In out little 70m2 cottage we have
    8 bulbs
    1 sensor
    4 switches
    5m light strips

Might not sound like much but every room has 2-6 smart home gadgets and he's not one bit interested in any of it!

Hey

Can I ask a few questions....

1. What light strips did you use?
    2. Does it work with Netflix from the nVidia shield?
    3. Does it work for two sides and a strip on the top?
    4. Does each strip show several colours at a time, or just one colour at a time?

Thinking of setting this up on the upstairs tv.

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

1. What light strips did you use? 2. Does it work with Netflix from the nVidia shield? 3. Does it work for two sides and a strip on the top? 4. Does each strip show several colours at a time, or just one colour at a time?

Sorry I might not have been clear. I don't have light strips behind the TV yet I was just using the ceiling lights to test, going to put a spare bulb into a desk lamp later and place behind TV (diy bloom) to test in the dark.

My current lightstrips are under the kitchen cupboards

I don't think it works with Netflix I was using it with IPTV and it worked well .

• Subscribers Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

First time I’ve seen the garden floodlight reduced, 119.99gbp with the outdoor sensor on amazon deals of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It's that time of year again, Halloween, I have a Hue bulb in the front porch with a motion sensor and I also have a spare strip as well as a Google Mini speaker, what would be the best setup for the kids? Ideally I'm thinking an app that senses motion so plays a sound and flashes the light, I'm thinking thunder and lightening.

And before anyone says anything, yes this is more for me than the kids :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Clareman wrote: »
    It's that time of year again, Halloween, I have a Hue bulb in the front porch with a motion sensor and I also have a spare strip as well as a Google Mini speaker, what would be the best setup for the kids? Ideally I'm thinking an app that senses motion so plays a sound and flashes the light, I'm thinking thunder and lightening.

And before anyone says anything, yes this is more for me than the kids :D

The Hue Halloween app is very good I find.

I had it set up last year and it stopped some kids coming up my garden as the lights and sounds scared them. It does exactly what you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The Hue Halloween app is very good I find.

I had it set up last year and it stopped some kids coming up my garden as the lights and sounds scared them. It does exactly what you mentioned.

Yes and I'll be using again this year, we will be in our new home for our 1st Halloween so looking forward to scaring a few new neighbours....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Clareman wrote: »

Yeah, thats the one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

New bluetooth bulbs and plugs are in Argos UK but cant see here yet

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2910875

Are these still only available on argos UK? I need to pick 3 or 4 up for the Christmas lights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Brian017

Are these still only available on argos UK? I need to pick 3 or 4 up for the Christmas lights
    You could get 3 or 4 smart plugs on Amazon for the price of a Hue branded one, if you can sacrifice the Hue app integration

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Have not seen on any IE site or on a shop yet.

Brian017 wrote: »
    You could get 3 or 4 smart plugs on Amazon for the price of a Hue branded one, if you can sacrifice the Hue app integration

Ya but the Hue integration is the key. I have 7 or 8 lights already and routines. It will be good to put the Christmas light on the same schedule and app etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Get ones with zigbee integration, I have 2 that are not hue branded but still appear in the hue app, can switch on/off set schedules etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I love this time of year I'm already planning how I'm going to scare the kids. Last year I hid a Bluetooth speaker outside and moved 3 colour hue bulbs to the outside light, doorway and front window, a hue sensor on the door and the hue Halloween app on a tablet. They've added a few new effects this year
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.ijsdesign.huehalloween

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Ya but the Hue integration is the key. I have 7 or 8 lights already and routines. It will be good to put the Christmas light on the same schedule and app etc

Meh,

I have a house full of Hue (50+ bulbs), at least half on routines.

I bought 3 G-Homa smart plugs from B&Q a few years ago and use them all only at Christmas, and they work great. It’s another app with routines set for each plug, but it works fine nonetheless.
    Set the routines up when decorations go up, and turn off when decorations come down.

No need for this to be run through Hue.

I love this time of year I'm already planning how I'm going to scare the kids. Last year I hid a Bluetooth speaker outside and moved 3 colour hue bulbs to the outside light, doorway and front window, a hue sensor on the door and the hue Halloween app on a tablet. They've added a few new effects this year

Seems the same to me.... Still loads at the end of the scroll locked.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

My Halloween this year will be my regular Hue set up (entire house lights doing something) with a blue tooth speaker, but this year I’ve added a projector upstairs, and a smoke machine outside!
    Also putting a bloom at the end of the garden lighting up a skeleton with headstone!!

Seems the same to me.... Still loads at the end of the scroll locked.

Unlock them, they're €1.99

• Advertisement

Unlock them, they're €1.99

Oh ok. I'll do that, it's only when it was said there was etc. I actually had forgotten about them as hadn't used.

Unlocked them there...

Is there any use getting the haunted house one also?

Nice app, but it keeps randomly changing the lights it uses. It seems to change it to try to use whatever is on. I have 2 colours lights and 1 white GU10 outdoor that I'd like it to use.

Anyone else getting the same?

Nice app, but it keeps randomly changing the lights it uses. It seems to change it to try to use whatever is on. I have 2 colours lights and 1 white GU10 outdoor that I'd like it to use.

Anyone else getting the same?

It works perfectly for me, I'm selecting only 3 colour lights (of 12) and this year I'll also have a light strip. I tried it out yesterday evening and had no issues. You sure you've it set to only use just the selection bulbs you want (not them all), then it will move it's focus between these bulbs depending on what effect is playing

It works perfectly for me, I'm selecting only 3 colour lights (of 12) and this year I'll also have a light strip. I tried it out yesterday evening and had no issues. You sure you've it set to only use just the selection bulbs you want (not them all), then it will move it's focus between these bulbs depending on what effect is playing

Ya I had selected just the lights I want but each time the app reopens and reconnects to the Hue Bridge it defaults to different bulbs.
    I'll send a screenshot later once I'm back home

Last year I was working so had set it all up in the in laws as we were in between houses and ended up buying and are in our new home now.

I'm going to add to it next year but for now I have 2 strobe lights which can be set to flash colour or stay on any colour, hue throughout the house so all the front rooms will be flashing including the hall where there are two pendants from the ceiling, I'll use hue go and a stand up lamp too.

I've a skeleton in the hall which I'll place a light behind.

Looking forward to it and thinking I'll place the Bluetooth speaker in upstairs window obviously opened out.

I have a black light but it's locked away with more boxes where access is impossible for the moment.

I'm hoping to get a smoke machine for next year and would love the bride and groom skeleton....

I think the lighting will look cool though.oh yeah at the moment only one outside light above the door but it's hue also so will link it up also....

Ya I had selected just the lights I want but each time the app reopens and reconnects to the Hue Bridge it defaults to different bulbs.
    I'll send a screenshot later once I'm back home

Working fine now. Must have been something going on when I first set it up, as the app was showing every sensor I have 3 times.

Pretty cool app. Planning for Thursday now :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Absolutely love the hue platform but I won't be buying them overpriced plugs.

I've already got 3 different makes and routines set and love them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

I've already got 3 different makes and routines set and love them.

Can you see them in the hue app?

Advertisement