Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

another quick newbie question from me. So I got my starter pack yesterday but the thing is my new home doesn't have fixed line broadband yet, I'm using a mix of phone hotspots and MiFi's will the hue's work ok on a MiFi if it's constantly broadcasting a network (i.e. plugged into a wall and set not to shut down to power save).

I do realise it was a little silly buying them without fixed broadband but in fairness it's a temporary solution and the hue were half price :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Brian017

another quick newbie question from me. So I got my starter pack yesterday but the thing is my new home doesn't have fixed line broadband yet, I'm using a mix of phone hotspots and MiFi's will the hue's work ok on a MiFi if it's constantly broadcasting a network (i.e. plugged into a wall and set not to shut down to power save).

I do realise it was a little silly buying them without fixed broadband but in fairness it's a temporary solution and the hue were half price :pac:

The bridge has to be connected via an Ethernet cable

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Brian017 wrote: »
    The bridge has to be connected via an Ethernet cable

Yep, the only way the bridge will work is connected to an Ethernet cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ah well they'll sit in their box a little longer so unless I splash out for the 4g modems with a ethernet jack.

or actually I've an AirPort Extreme that can extend a wifi network that has ethernet jacks attached to it.

I'll investigate tonight and see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

If you are going to be waiting a while for the fixed broadband you could pick up a 4G router, something like this. Don't have fixed broadband either (due winter 2018 and won't be holding my breath) and are currently using one of these and have hue, hive, smarthings, harmony, google homes etc all running using 4G.

• Advertisement

ah well they'll sit in their box a little longer so unless I splash out for the 4g modems with a ethernet jack.

or actually I've an AirPort Extreme that can extend a wifi network that has ethernet jacks attached to it.

I'll investigate tonight and see :)

I was actually going to say in my above post that an Airport Express/Extreme would most likely do the job, but didn't mention it as they wouldn't be so common!!

That should work fine.

Once you are all setup (if you set up lighting routines/timers) you could then disconnect the ethernet as the timers are stored in the bridge and the bridge connects directly to the bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Started playing with my new hue set.

What 3rd party apps would people recommend ?
    It seems having them open at the same time as the main app causes confusion and crossover.

I was having issues with the Wifi dropping on my phone and losing connection with the bridge- seem to have solved that by setting up a hue account and away from home - works with 4g now + no wifi.

One annoying thing is if the light is switched off on the wall and on again - the colour of the bulb reverts to bright white regardless of what was previously on it. Any way of getting around this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

carq wrote: »
    One annoying thing is if the light is switched off on the wall and on again - the colour of the bulb reverts to bright white regardless of what was previously on it. Any way of getting around this ?

Not yet I don't think, apparently there's a software update due before end of year

as for 3rd party apps I use 'Hue Essentials' as it has touchlink that helps setting up non hue bulbs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭OU812

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

copacetic wrote: »
    Does anyone have an old style light strip plus with the non soldered connection spare or for swap? Looks like I have a failed controller on under cabinet ones and the new ones aren’t easily put in its place due to the wired connection on the newer ones...

Anyone? It’s definitely the controller that’s failed on mine, and it’s an easy swap with the same controller type, major job with the new wired in one.

Will throw in a 1m Lightstrip extension if that helps. As well as a newer type, so latest 3m version for the older type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

copacetic wrote: »
    Anyone? It’s definitely the controller that’s failed on mine, and it’s an easy swap with the same controller type, major job with the new wired in one.

Will throw in a 1m Lightstrip extension if that helps. As well as a newer type, so latest 3m version for the older type.

Would you not order up a controller from aliexpress? Got one the other day, works perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

My GU10 colour won't fit my fittings - and seems partly to be an issue of ceiling clearance space to the insulation above the fitting rather than the fitting itself so not a lot I can do there. They will have to go back and I'll get white ambiance and two coloured E27 lamps instead

Btw if anyone spots deals on white ambiance GU10s please shout - I need up to 10 of them, Amazon IT had three for 49.99 but that seems to have expired

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

My GU10 colour won't fit my fittings - and seems partly to be an issue of ceiling clearance space to the insulation above the fitting rather than the fitting itself so not a lot I can do there. They will have to go back and I'll get white ambiance and two coloured E27 lamps instead

What price you get them at??? I missed out.

What price you get them at??? I missed out.
    The GU10? Got them for 74 for two including a dimmer from Amazon FR (I live abroad otherwise I'd offer them to someone here before returning)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Do the gu10 colour and gu10 white have the same size, height wise ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

For those looking for best price points, you can set up a pricing alert using camelcamelcamel - can set to any change or set a threshold you'd like to see it fall below. Historical pricing is also useful.

Example:
    https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Philips-Ambience-Dimmable-Smart-Light/product/B01L99H850

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Colour are longer if I'm correct

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Alkers

Colour are longer if I'm correct

The GU10 white, white ambiance and colour all all different sizes. Smallest to largest in the above order

Thanks, I checked in Philips site, for anyone else looking
    GU10 White/White ambiance: Height 57 mm
    GU10 Colour: Height 71 mm Width

So a Gu10 fitting that says height 108mm should be ok with both i guess?

• Advertisement

AstraMonti wrote: »

Here are some side by side photo's;
    Here is a photo of a Hue Colour Ambiance, beside a White Ambiance, beside 2 regular LED GU10 bulbs,

As can be seen, the Hue Colour Ambiance is much larger than the other 3, the Hue White Ambiance is almost identical to a regular LED GU10

439441.jpeg
    439442.jpeg

holder for the larger GU10 colour here;

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105911276&postcount=1475

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

What's the best app for hue/Google home Christmas experience. Trying to get house set up for the 2 niece's who are coming over to us today to visit Santa and watch toy show

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Pedro32561

What's the best app for hue/Google home Christmas experience. Trying to get house set up for the 2 niece's who are coming over to us today to visit Santa and watch toy show

I downloaded iConnectHue a couple of days ago. Have found it good. You can do custom light animations. I’m using it on Lightstrips in the main windows of the house and it looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Brian017

There's an app called Hue Christmas (on iOS at least)

Anyone know an adapter to use an E27 in an E14 lamp that definitely works with Hue?

Anyone know an adapter to use an E27 in an E14 lamp that definitely works with Hue?

Any adaptor will work, as long as its E27 to E14.

Hue bulbs get their power exactly the same way a regular lightbulb gets its power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

I made a big boobo with my 2m light strip I accidentally cut at beginning by mistake so only beginning is lighting. I'm such a idiot. Is there a way to fix it

Once you set the ikea bulbs, how solid are they after? I need to change all the outside lights (about 10) and I only want to be able to turn them on and off through the app/Google home, no dimming or colour change needed.

Also, once they are setup, what's the maximum distance you can get them away from the hue bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

I made a big boobo with my 2m light strip I accidentally cut at beginning by mistake so only beginning is lighting. I'm such a idiot. Is there a way to fix it

would something like this work for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

THE ALM wrote: »
    would something like this work for you?

I dunno I'm so pissed off that I did by mistake. Can it be re attached using those

Advertisement