Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'm going to order this for my living room / kitchen. I'll be getting six GU10s, a hub and a dimmer switch. So far the only other lights there are an Ikea Floalt panel (doesn't change colour but you can change warmth of the light a bit) and E14/E27 lamps.

Just wondering if I should be going for ambient white or colour? Do people use the colour a lot?

Living Room - If you plan on using Hue Sync/Entertainment (movies/music), then get the colour bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks - I have six spots, should I get all six colour?

Absolutely.

Keep an eye on the price though as they’ve regularly been as low as £35 per bulb.

Absolutely.

Keep an eye on the price though as they’ve regularly been as low as £35 per bulb.
    Thanks will do - looking to buy a starter kit on Amazon FR or DE first and another three pack of bulbs whenever I see a deal

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

Just make sure you have the correct light fittings for the colour bulbs.

See Andy's post here for examples or search the thread for GU10 fittings for more information.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107009114&postcount=1147

• Advertisement

Thanks will do - looking to buy a starter kit on Amazon FR or DE first and another three pack of bulbs whenever I see a deal

The GU10 starter kits haven’t really shifted from £150 on Amazon U.K., but they do have a starter kit with a dimmer switch for £158.

Not massive savings, but take the price of the dimmer switch away and it’s a GU10 starter kit for £140

Just make sure you have the correct light fittings for the colour bulbs.

See Andy's post here for examples or search the thread for GU10 fittings for more information.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107009114&postcount=1147

And also the side by side comparison photos I posted a page or 2 back to show the difference in size of the colour GU10’s compared to regular GU10 bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭micks_address

Living Room - If you plan on using Hue Sync/Entertainment (movies/music), then get the colour bulbs.

Probably asked but what's the best android app for music sync? thanks mick

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ugh just discovered some of the GU10s in my hall are MR16s :-/

keane2097 wrote: »
    Ugh just discovered some of the GU10s in my hall are MR16s :-/

The 10 in my kitchen were like that, so I bought 10 GU10 fittings on eBay for about €3 and changed them all (also removing the transformers). Only took about 3-4 minutes to change each fitting.

• Advertisement

Probably asked but what's the best android app for music sync? thanks mick

Hue Sync is for PC/Mac, but there are phone apps that are great for music too, not sure about Android, but Hue Disco on iOS is great, not sure if it’s available on Android.

The 10 in my kitchen were like that, so I bought 10 GU10 fittings on eBay for about €3 and changed them all (also removing the transformers). Only took about 3-4 minutes to change each fitting.

I must have a look for the adapters. If you could dig out a link I'd be obliged.

Is there much involved in removing the transformers? My ceiling is 11 feet up so I'm fairly precarious at the top of a stepladder when going at these fittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What's the best price the gu10 colour have been at as need 6 for starters and will add more.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I must have a look for the adapters. If you could dig out a link I'd be obliged.

Is there much involved in removing the transformers? My ceiling is 11 feet up so I'm fairly precarious at the top of a stepladder when going at these fittings.

It’s just these;

20x EVolution GU10 Ceramic Lamp Holder | Value Pack! | 0,75mm² silicon wire | for LED and Halogen https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K2TJ4I8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_UDC-Bb8ABR70N

You’d need to be sure your current lights are running off transformers, but even if they are, just remove them and wire the 230v in to the junction box, and connect the new GU10 holders up to the other side if the junction box.

If you’re confident wiring a plug, it’ll be no issue to you, just have a nice steady ladder.

What's the best price the gu10 colour have been at as need 6 for starters and will add more.

Cheapest I ever saw them was £35

Cheapest I ever saw them was £35

Didn't see any in deals this year. Wonder will cyber Monday do anything or maybe January....

It’s just these;

20x EVolution GU10 Ceramic Lamp Holder | Value Pack! | 0,75mm² silicon wire | for LED and Halogen https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K2TJ4I8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_UDC-Bb8ABR70N

You’d need to be sure your current lights are running off transformers, but even if they are, just remove them and wire the 230v in to the junction box, and connect the new GU10 holders up to the other side if the junction box.

If you’re confident wiring a plug, it’ll be no issue to you, just have a nice steady ladder.

Thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

Amazon France have 2 plus a dimmer for 85euro delivered. But you can only order one set at a time.

https://www.amazon.fr/Philips-ampoules-connect%C3%A9es-T%C3%A9l%C3%A9commande-variateur/dp/B075MHMPRL/ref=lp_12720859031_1_5?m=A1X6FK5RDHNB96&s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1543098027&sr=1-5

At least with the GU10's you have the choice of all the amazon eu stores unlike the B22's.

Didn't see any in deals this year. Wonder will cyber Monday do anything or maybe January....

I only ever saw them reduced at completely odd random times, so the trick is to check at least 2-3 times per week.

They also sometimes come in as part of the 3 for 2 deals!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Hope I am not very off topic, but would someone be able to suggest a good quality firerated gu10 downlighter fitting for the hue bulbs?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Does anyone have an old style light strip plus with the non soldered connection spare or for swap? Looks like I have a failed controller on under cabinet ones and the new ones aren’t easily put in its place due to the wired connection on the newer ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

On Philips own site they are doing the 3 for 2 so should be some saving there especially those looking at the GU10

THE ALM wrote: »
    On Philips own site they are doing the 3 for 2 so should be some saving there especially those looking at the GU10

What site address I can't find

What site address I can't find

Google ‘Meet Hue’

Google ‘Meet Hue’

All the gu10 are out of stock.... All..... So disappointed wanted for new house. Don't want to pay full price for them.

All the gu10 are out of stock.... All..... So disappointed wanted for new house. Don't want to pay full price for them.

Just keep an eye on Amazon, almost daily, and they will go down again.

I'd say if their anything between £30-£40, pull the trigger, or likewise if they are part of a 3 for 2, and still £50, they'll work out about £33 per bulb!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

2 x GU10 colour + dimmer switch for €84 delivered here on amazon.fr:
    https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B075MHMPRL/ref=twister_B077MNFQJ4?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

They also have this:
    https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B07JM23QDQ/ref=twister_B077MNFQJ4?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

bk wrote: »
    How much would that Echo Dot sell for?

How much would that Echo Dot sell for?

£25they were half price.

• Advertisement

You will need a Mailbox.de address or another way of ordering - but Tink.de currently have a Hue E27 colour starter kit (only two bulbs but including bridge and dimmer), and a Google Home Mini for only 99e.

https://www.tink.de/philips-hue-white-and-color-ambiance-e27-sk-2-lampen-bridge-dimmschalter-google-home-mini

Advertisement