Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Thanks for this
    I have a 2 pin to 3 pin adapter but what I am looking for is the actual adapter for the Hue that slides into the plug searched Philips website and amazon could not find one
    Will check re the settings later
    Cheers

Check the voltage, amperage and polarity and then look for one on eBay etc. Should be plenty of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Somehow posts was duplicated can admin delete dupe
    I have the adapter that can change from 2 pin to 3 what I am looking for is the actual plug itself that slots in so makes it a 3 pin socket
    You should be able to pick up an adaptor in most places.Im sure do them. Amazon etc

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

s.welstead wrote: »
    Maybe its a bug or intended but what I've noticed is that if you flick the light switch off and then on again it turns the hue bulb on to a default lighting.
    So for family etc. who won't understand they are smart tech they'd still manage to get them lighting.

That's exactly it, if the system fails in some way, the bulbs can still be operated as regular light bulbs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,210 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks for the help. I ordered some sensors and bulbs (standard white, not ambiance) from Amazon.co.uk last night, they've already shipped. Ordered the hub from Amazon.fr. Christmas shopping is kind on the wallet. :pac: Sounds like I'm in the same boat as Irish Gunner, will look into an adapter.

Another question re sensors. How about you're in a room where the hue bulbs are the main source of light at ceiling level, but it's day time and you don't really need them. Let's say you're working on your PC with a desk lamp, nothing to do with hue. When you first walk into the room, will the sensor turn on the main hue lights for a few seconds and then know to them turn off or will it 'see' your motion because you're tapping away at the keyboard? I may be overthinking this...

You can set the sensor so that if there is enough light in a room during the day, they won't come on,

They are quite clever.

• Advertisement

If you find one let me know
     Ordered the hub from Amazon.fr. Christmas shopping is kind the wallet. [img]https://static.boards.ie/b//assets/img/sceditor/emoticons/pacman.gif?v= d4f4efbde3ca2018ed6c52d26abdb03a[/img] Sounds like I'm in the same boat as Irish Gunner, will look into an adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

adox wrote: »
    Thanks all.

What do you do with things like hallway/landings and luddite household members :pac: who may press the wall switch and grumble when it's not working because it's controlled by the Hue, or what's the best approach to have there? Is that where the dimmer switch comes into play?

Is there a difference between this B22 and this other one?

Finally, is this on amazon.fr the same as this one on the UK site?

I'm in the process of fitting my hallway and landing with Hue White Ambiance bulbs(3 in all). Knew it would drive my Mrs mad and had just thought about scheduling them to come on and off but seemed too clunky, so instead I'm getting two motion sensors too. No need to worry about switches or apps etc.

I don't really see what the issue is with the switches, and really cant understand why you'd go for timer only lighting. Sometimes you want the lights on, sometimes you dont, and having a switch to control this in regularly used rooms like kitchen is invaluable, particularly when it also adds dimmer and different colour scenes functionality, not to mention the wife.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I don't really see what the issue is with the switches, and really cant understand why you'd go for timer only lighting. Sometimes you want the lights on, sometimes you dont, and having a switch to control this in regularly used rooms like kitchen is invaluable, particularly when it also adds dimmer and different colour scenes functionality, not to mention the wife.....

I'm talking about the hallway and landing only. Places where we will only ever be passing through on the way to another room. The sensors seem the perfect option to me for these areas.
    I'm fitting white ambiance bulbs so won't be worrying about colour scenes.

My point about the switches is, from my wife's point of view, she would be asking why I'm putting in switches for the lights when we already have them(with the regular bulbs). I already have a dimmer switch still in th box which I intend integrating somewhere in the house.

The hallway/landing set up I have in mind seems perfect to me in theory. Neither the bulbs nor the sensors have arrived yet so the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

adox wrote: »
    I'm talking about the hallway and landing only. Places where we will only ever be passing through on the way to another room. The sensors seem the perfect option to me for these areas.
    I'm fitting white ambiance bulbs so won't be worrying about colour scenes.

I'm planning to do exactly the same, a sensor and two GU10 white ambiance in the hall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Have sensors for the hall, living room, kitchen and bar.
    My thinking was to remove the need for switching lights on or off for the most commonly accessed areas.
    It's no big deal if you have to switch your bedroom light on once or twice a day, but I'm in and out of the kitchen 10 times a day.

I have another hue sensor on the way for the baby's room. Might use it to trigger the Go as a night light or one of the hue colour bulbs in the main light fitting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Roen wrote:
    Have sensors for the hall, living room, kitchen and bar. My thinking was to remove the need for switching lights on or off for the most commonly accessed areas. It's no big deal if you have to switch your bedroom light on once or twice a day, but I'm in and out of the kitchen 10 times a day.

I've a couple of motion sensors in my house.

I think that the concept of a properly placed sensor is very smart.

Nest smoke detectors really need to open up the use of their motion detectors as usually smoke detectors are ideally placed in room for dual purpose.

My sensors are in the utility room and a bathroom. I don't have hue fittings there. Just regular Philips lamps being switched on and off with a regular PIR far more cost effective. The lamp and PIR would be 25 euro combined with a 5 euro lamp replacement.

It would be interesting to have these sensors in a living room, it would be better value imo if there was a proper link to nest protect devices so that one PIR was used for both it would be cost effective too.

It would be good business for Google too as the nest protect with its movement sensor is dar better value than the hue sensor with its fewer functions etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Maybe its a bug or intended but what I've noticed is that if you flick the light switch off and then on again it turns the hue bulb on to a default lighting.
    So for family etc. who won't understand they are smart tech they'd still manage to get them lighting.

Ooh, if that's the case, then manual control is a doddle, and you can put in retractive momentary switches in place of your standard ones, and then use the light switch as normal.

I have my entire house using these for my smart lighting (it's not hue), they are called click minigrid and I use the retractive momentary switches.

Had similar ones from clipsal beforehand for ten years, white ones, but herself wanted chrome or brushed steel and to be honest these are beautiful. Had to swap out the old clipsal ones.
    See here for info

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?3376-Uk-style-momentary-wall-switches!/page2

Here is one in action

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1zlDoqP2HdxYVprVkxfZ1g0Y0U

If you put these in your hue circuits, then they just pulse on off etc which should turn the light on for you like a normal switch

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭dendof

Does this mean then you would have to go back into app to retrigger scene? ie it's not saved? or if it's on a timer would it stay on the set colours?

dendof wrote: »
    Does this mean then you would have to go back into app to retrigger scene? ie it's not saved? or if it's on a timer would it stay on the set colours?

In my experience, I haven't seen the light come back on to a preset scene/timer (set/activated prior to the power being cut/switched off), although another poster did say the scene that was timed to be on at that moment would come back on.
    most of my hue lights are in lamps that are set to 'always on' and the traditional wall switches I have would only be for centre lights which are not on timers in my set up.

In the odd time I do have to use a 'traditional' light switch to get the light powered up again, I'd usually have phone in hand to turn it back off via the app or select a scene.

If you find one let me know
     Ordered the hub from Amazon.fr. Christmas shopping is kind the wallet. [img]https://static.boards.ie/b//assets/img/sceditor/emoticons/pacman.gif?v= d4f4efbde3ca2018ed6c52d26abdb03a[/img] Sounds like I'm in the same boat as Irish Gunner, will look into an adapter.
    Emailed Philips and said I was looking for new adapter. So gave them my address and contact and they are contacting their service dept to see if they can send me a new adapter with the 3 pins
    Having fun setting up scenes last night and got the unreachable but managed to figure that out. Trying to remote access from phone to the Hub using the app but getting No Hue connection. I did not turn off the switch would there be any other reason ? I can access my smart plugs via phone so not data issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

I did not turn off the switch would there be any other reason ? I can access my smart plugs via phone so not data issue?

Is UPnP enabled on your router?

davo2001 wrote: »
    Is UPnP enabled on your router?

Not sure ? Have the virgin hub router so not sure what setting it defaults to as have not manually configured anything

Emailed Philips and said I was looking for new adapter. So gave them my address and contact and they are contacting their service dept to see if they can send me a new adapter with the 3 pins
    Having fun setting up scenes last night and got the unreachable but managed to figure that out. Trying to remote access from phone to the Hub using the app but getting No Hue connection. I did not turn off the switch would there be any other reason ? I can access my smart plugs via phone so not data issue?

Must try that. I have my bridge and two Iris' which are both on 2 pin plugs which is a bit annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

One app doesn't allow connection unless you are connected to the bridge where the other one allows away and home connection.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,210 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Irish Gunner, which email address have you been on to?

My bulbs and sensors are now with Parcel Motel in Northern Ireland, might have them tomorrow...although I think PM has been in the spotlight for delays. Megathread here.

• Advertisement

Irish Gunner, which email address have you been on to?
    Just put in details on their contact page and they contacted me back via email url is http://phl-cip.quicksupportlink.com/ConsumerEmail.aspx?language_id=ENG&country=IRL

One app doesn't allow connection unless you are connected to the bridge where the other one allows away and home connection.
    Ok so I have the Philips Hue app installed on phone this works when I am on wifi and home and I need another app to get remote access, is my understanding correct ? If so what other app do I need for remote access?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Ok so I have the Philips Hue app installed on phone this works when I am on wifi and home and I need another app to get remote access, is my understanding correct ? If so what other app do I need for remote access?
    Thanks

It's the same app, just create an account and log in. Think it's under the 'More' section.

Roen wrote: »
    Thanks

It's the same app, just create an account and log in. Think it's under the 'More' section.
    Thanks think I sorted it
    Downloaded the IFTT app and then gave access to Hue and created Applets to turn lights on and turn lights off.  Then created a DO Button widget for these and added them to my home screen on android phone so will check when I get home if they are working or not

Thanks think I sorted it
    Downloaded the IFTT app and then gave access to Hue and created Applets to turn lights on and turn lights off.  Then created a DO Button widget for these and added them to my home screen on android phone so will check when I get home if they are working or not

The Hue app comes with widgets that you could use without the addition of IFTTT

The Hue app comes with widgets that you could use without the addition of IFTTT

I can see apps under more on Hue app but can't connect to see but happy enough with IFTTT

Thanks

I can see apps under more on Hue app but can't connect to see but happy enough with IFTTT

Thanks

Have you set up an account with Philips hue? You need to do that to allow 'offsite' access to the system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hi guys,

After more research than I'd care to admit on the humble light bulb, my hub, a few richer colour bulbs and a lightstrip all got set up yesterday ;o)

Does anyone know if you have two people in the house, do you share login username and password for the Philips Hue app, or do you set up two separate accounts and each log in separately on your own phones?

Also, does anyone know how to see the rooms on the website? It shows the individual bulbs but not the rooms it seems?

Thanks!
    Al.

edit: Yellow exclamation mark showing next to bulb on Hue website was due to it being switched off at the wall!!

Thanks

Have you set up an account with Philips hue? You need to do that to allow 'offsite' access to the system
    Sound did not know this so this works also cheers

• Advertisement

Thanks

No I mean once you have the app installed on your phone it then gives you widget options within Android OS. So you'd generally hold down on your homepage and it allows you to change wallpapers, apps or add widgets. It's all done through your Android OS, outside of the Hue app

Advertisement