Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carton Wood - Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bryanee

Hi. Does anyone have broadband with sky in the estate ? If so , any performance issues ? Deciding whether to go with them or virgin media for internet.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tp1980

L1011 wrote: »

Hi,

Apologies for my ignorance, but how will the proposed route options actually impact the development or the proposed park (north side of the estate) which the developers mentioned in their brochure?

I am not sure if this new ring-road will in fact restrict or make it more difficult for us to access the Carton House grounds or if the noise from by the traffic will be a problem but if this is the case the owners in the estate should point this out or make their own research.

Otherwise, I do not see a direct link between the proposed routes and the plans for the park at north side of the estate.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

People were told on-site that the land between the estate and the Blacklion Road was to be a park too; there are posts to that affect here and on other threads for the development.

Once again, there are no plans for a park in either location. Amenity zoning allows a huge amount of uses at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mehread

Hi looking at this development - ideally the 5 bed... is it sold out? Will there be another phase ? Looks lovely! Ad says limited availability .

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Moonjet

Is it true there's a halting site across the road from this development?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Moonjet wrote: »

Yes

Also how long from paying the 10k deposit to signing of contracts and paying remainder of deposit ?

Yes

It wouldn't bother me personally as I've lived beside travellers before, but I would worry it could affect resale value of the house (especially when paying north of half a million for the house) if we decided to move in the future, due to the perception of associated trouble/antisocial behaviour. Whether it's a right or wrong opinion to hold, Peter Casey proved there's a large cohort of the population who share that sentiment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The perception would have to be from non locals as there hasn't been trouble of any note there ever. Maynooth is probably the only town that campaigned to *get* a halting site as the conditions they were in before were dire (caravans at a graveyard for years)

However, non-locals are who are likely to be buying a house off you of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

It wouldn't bother me personally as I've lived beside travellers before, but I would worry it could affect resale value of the house (especially when paying north of half a million for the house) if we decided to move in the future, due to the perception of associated trouble/antisocial behaviour. Whether it's a right or wrong opinion to hold, Peter Casey proved there's a large cohort of the population who share that sentiment.

95% of the country hold that opinion...wonder why?!

• Advertisement

Just out of interest, how many caravans are on the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Just out of interest, how many caravans are on the site?

It is houses they are not caravans.
    If you want to count the houses you could use google maps. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Brd123

No Carvans only houses. Lived in the area for a couple of years no and its not an issue

Mehread wrote: »
    Also how long from paying the 10k deposit to signing of contracts and paying remainder of deposit ?

Can someone advise please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Yes. Entrances are literally opposite each other.

There is a height restriction barrier on the halting site which prevents caravans from being added, I think there may be one or two mobile home + facilities block setups there still though; that was the normal first stage of provision before houses.

Its 9 or 10 houses, there's no significant amount of horses (usually none I think) and there is no trouble.

There is a height restriction barrier on the halting site which prevents caravans from being added, I think there may be one or two mobile home + facilities block setups there still though; that was the normal first stage of provision before houses.

Its 9 or 10 houses, there's no significant amount of horses (usually none I think) and there is no trouble.

They have gotten through height barrier before. There does be trouble from time to time.

They have gotten through height barrier before. There does be trouble from time to time.

No more than the baseline of the town - the student estates would be worse to live in than living near the halting site. Much worse if you see some of the crap reported recently in the Champion!

No more than the baseline of the town - the student estates would be worse to live in than living near the halting site. Much worse if you see some of the crap reported recently in the Champion!

There are mechanisms in the town and college to deal with students. There are no ways to deal with nackers. Students are there for maybe 6 months of the year. Nackers are there for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Students have parents and their college to answer to...a halting site answers to no one :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

I’ve lived in maynooth my whole life and the settled travellers are grand. I’ve not heard of much going on down their way at all. As someone said before I would be more concerned up meadow brook, beaufield direction as it’s studentville.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 washburn73

Must have missed that - what was reported?

Fire1985 wrote: »
    I’ve lived in maynooth my whole life and the settled travellers are grand. I’ve not heard of much going on down their way at all. As someone said before I would be more concerned up meadow brook, beaufield direction as it’s studentville.

Meadowbrook and beaufield are grand for the main. Some houses are are students occupied like every estate but with the college adding more accomodation its watered down. As i have said you can deal with students.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Top_Guy

Re: sky broadband. I had them scheduled for a broadband installation there on Friday and the installer told me there was no infrastructure in the estate yet for them to set it up. Seems like virgin is the only option for broadband so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Macdaddy7

Hi,

I see that the creche is being worked on at the moment.

Anyone know who is running this creche and who could be contacted in regards to it?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AlexCT

Hi all,
    We got the snag list today and we found the mold on the ceiling and around the window in the master bedroom, the ceiling also looks like there was water penetration though it. Had anybody got these problems? I am very worry about where the mold came from and if it relates to the frame of the house. :((((.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 housebuyer18

AlexCT wrote: »
    Hi all,
    We got the snag list today and we found the mold on the ceiling and around the window in the master bedroom, the ceiling also looks like there was water penetration though it. Had anybody got these problems? I am very worry about where the mold came from and if it relates to the frame of the house. :((((.
    Never heard of any mold problems in houses. We've had absolutely no condensation at all so I don't think it's a common problem. Make sure builders find source of issue though and resolve before you sign off

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AlexCT

Never heard of any mold problems in houses. We've had absolutely no condensation at all so I don't think it's a common problem. Make sure builders find source of issue though and resolve before you sign off
    Thank you very much for your advice. We are thinking of getting the surveyor to do re-inspection again when we get the next notice. Could anybody please have experience on the re-inspection to share with me? Thanks a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭totallytrees

Mehread wrote: »
    Can someone advise please?

This all depends on how long it takes the builder to finish your house. Paying the deposit is the very first thing that you will do, and paying the remainder with your mortgage payment from the bank will be the very last thing you do, all via your solicitor. None of that will happen until your house is ready, snagged and completed. You will get a "Notice of Closing" from the builder through your solicitor. Then a Completion Statement is provided from the Solicitor for the builder before they prepare the Fee Note & Statement of Account. From the Notice of Closing it should be a short few weeks for you (3-4) all going well.

On a separate note, regarding the halting site. I'm living in Carton Wood since Oct 2018 and can confirm there is absolutely no issue here. I had no concerns with this pre or post buying and nothing has ever come up as long as I'm here. The estate and house is living up to & exceeding all expectations. It has never needed to crossed my mind that there are travellers living nearby as there's never disruption or cause for concern. Trust me, when you're in a toasty A2 rated house in the winter in a great estate full of lovely people, travellers in a tucked away settled location will be the last thing on your mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Ainegrainne

What phase was this? (we are still waiting to hear when we can snag etc.) Thanks

Advertisement