Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sure-Fire Signs That an area is Rough

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Most people don't need a signpost, they just KNOW by looking around.

It ain't rocket science.

I do feel sorry for those residents who try to keep their place nice, but it is a waste of time in some areas.

For some (I said some....), if you don't have to pay for anything, and expect everything to be done for you and paid for you and to you, there can be little respect for surroundings.

On the other hand if you have to work hard and pay for it yourself, it's a different story generally speaking. And I am sure many will agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just listening to Newstalk and the dumping problem in Ballymun.

Generalisations can sometimes be the truth.

It is the only thing SW recipients have to pay for now apart from a euro or two for the prescriptions, and maybe a bit of rent here and there.

So naturally, some will not pay it. Now in fairness there are probably fly tippers from all sides. But you get the drift.

The ONE thing to be paid for by themselves and they will wreck their communities instead. Sad isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭route9

NIMAN wrote: »
    Tiny little men with huge dog(s) on leads (usually the man will be at a 45deg angle to hold said dogs back).

Said man also likely to have some items of Lonsdale clothing.

Weirdly true...I would say the average height of a man in such an area is about 5'5"-5'6" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭route9

A community center
    Speed Bumps Everywhere
    Oversized curbs
    A boxing club
    A local pub that changes its name every couple of years.
    A security guard at a small Spar/Centra
    Horses
    People Before Profit/AAA Posters

My area is very nice but it has those in bold above and cameras everywhere...it's beside more working class areas but still a nice, very quiet area :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Fat people walking around, usually women

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Candie wrote: »
    This thread really just looks like an excuse to both justify various prejudices and sneer at people who've had few choices in life.

Some nasty generalizations here.

I come from a working class area. The choices available to me were:

- free tuition fees
    - grant and saf equalling around five grand a year
    - part time work

I availed of all three and got a bachelor's and masters and now i have a prosperous career, while most of my school chums opted to get high and drink cans all their life.

So, yes, choices are important.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

A community center
    Speed Bumps Everywhere
    Oversized curbs
    A boxing club
    Horses

A community centre? Nah

Scramblers and horses on the green

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You go to a pub theres 3 security gaurds at the door.Random people ask you for a cigarette in the street .Theres random graffiti on a wall, with some
    morons nickname on it .Some shops are closed or boarded up for months .
    Theres only 1 or 2 pubs in the area which look like fort knox.
    You,ll never see anyone going for a jog ,thats a middle class pastime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

RasTa wrote: »
    Fat people walking around, usually women

Badly clothed, scantly even :confused::eek:

Saipanne wrote: »
    I come from a working class area. The choices available to me were:

- free tuition fees
    - grant and saf equalling around five grand a year
    - part time work

I availed of all three and got a bachelor's and masters and now i have a prosperous career, while most of my school chums opted to get high and drink cans all their life.

So, yes, choices are important.

Post of the day!

And pretty much EVERY person in the areas that we are talking about, had choices in the 1990-2000's; whether it was access to Uni, IT or a good FAS course. Hell, even the health board was there to help people to get off drugs if they wanted to.

• Advertisement

riclad wrote: »
    You go to a pub theres 3 security gaurds at the door.Random people ask you for a cigarette in the street .Theres random graffiti on a wall, with some
    morons nickname on it .Some shops are closed or boarded up for months .
    Theres only 1 or 2 pubs in the area which look like fort knox.
    You,ll never see anyone going for a jog ,thats a middle class pastime.

A jog? Nah, more sprinters in those areas. Sprinting away from the Fuzz/Scum or some large security man or even drug lord. Some are able to upgrade with horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Bicky bicky

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Post of the day!

And pretty much EVERY person in the areas that we are talking about, had choices in the 1990-2000's; whether it was access to Uni, IT or a good FAS course. Hell, even the health board was there to help people to get off drugs if they wanted to.

What part of the country where offering drug treatment in early 90s/00s ??

Why have we here in Ireland since late 2000s have areas being regenerated because in the boom drugs were left to flow like a cholocate fountain and now Ireland has a massive drug problem along with the Irish drink problem.

Not everyone has choice's Dan!!

But you are right about the education part I was offered free fees a grant, help with accomdation all because where I was from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Jog on!

Just don't. If Irish people start saying this I'm leaving forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Babies wearing Adidas or Nike runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Post of the day!

Ah come on. I'd bet that fella's parents encouraged him and were probably good people. If not, even bigger kudos to him but I was fortunate to have two good people guide me through to 18 years of age. I'm not going to dare judge people who didn't have that because if you saw your parents being scumbags, there is a good chance you'll turn into a scumbag yourself regardless of what "choices" are available to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

View of the liffey to the south.

People wearing jogging bottoms who aren't currently jogging

"Dogs are welcome" signs outside the pub

a sit down chipper

kids wearing light-up trainers

Minorities

Old ladies with trolleys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I would love a sit down chipper! Never gonna happen in a real rough area though - too much hassle. The only sit down chipper I know is in Ballsbridge.

I would love a sit down chipper! Never gonna happen in a real rough area though - too much hassle. The only sit down chipper I know is in Ballsbridge.

The embassy grill is the exception to every rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

A residential street is coroned off halfway by black and yellow bollards due to joyriding.

Massive stone blocks dotted around the perimeter of the local green to prevent same.

• Advertisement

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Ah come on. I'd bet that fella's parents encouraged him and were probably good people. If not, even bigger kudos to him but I was fortunate to have two good people guide me through to 18 years of age. I'm not going to dare judge people who didn't have that because if you saw your parents being scumbags, there is a good chance you'll turn into a scumbag yourself regardless of what "choices" are available to you.

How much would you want to bet? Did they try hard enough? In fact, many people here are actually referring to the adults and not the kids. As you have already alluded to, how can anyone be shocked if the kids turned out just like their parents? Sure what hope had the weaker minded young wauns? Still, that excuse is still weak enough, surely they had some intelligence that turning out like their parents would not be a good idea.

A residential street is coroned off halfway by black and yellow bollards due to joyriding.

Massive stone blocks dotted around the perimeter of the local green to prevent same.

Funny enough, some of the stone blocks look nice

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Hanwellian

Children under 5 with ear-rings.
    Celtic/Liverpool/Man United shirt wearers.
    Large Aldi & Lidl 'supermarkets'.
    Housing estates with goalposts on communal greens.
    More 'Takeaways' than restaurants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Lads who walk like pigeons while keeping their hands down the front of their tracksuit bottoms.

A community center
    Speed Bumps Everywhere
    Oversized curbs
    A boxing club
    Horses

They are in every housing estate are they not? :confused: More as a measure of slowing down traffic to a minimum where a child could potentially run out in front of a car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Until hipsters I would have said moustaches.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Hanwellian wrote: »
    Children under 5 with ear-rings.
    Celtic/Liverpool/Man United shirt wearers.
    Large Aldi & Lidl 'supermarkets'.
    Housing estates with goalposts on communal greens.
    More 'Takeaways' than restaurants.

Like in Ranelagh and Rathmines. Two sure-fire rough areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Like in Ranelagh and Rathmines. Two sure-fire rough areas.

Compared to Aylsbury or Shrewsbury Road, yep, probably.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'll take a Aldi or Lidl in my area ahead of a Dunnes or Tesco any day.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement