Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sure-Fire Signs That an area is Rough

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Poor grammar is the clincher, everybody saying ' done' and 'seen' and 'went' instead of 'did' an 'saw' and 'gone'.

That, and a gathering of dogs cocking their legs over produce stacked outside Minimarket doors.:eek:

Nah, as an English teacher, I can tell you that errors like those are pretty universal. In Ireland anyway.

They're not really good examples of poor grammar anyway, as the speaker's meaning is still clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Nah, as an English teacher, I can tell you that errors like those are pretty universal. In Ireland anyway.

They're not really good examples of poor grammar anyway, as the speaker's meaning is still clear.

I'll not drag this thread of topic, but the speaker's meaning has nothing to do with the usage of proper grammar.

I think you will find that the propensity to speak in the manner I have outlined is more prevelant in what the OP describes as "rougher areas".

I'll not drag this thread of topic, but the speaker's meaning has nothing to do with the usage of proper grammar.

I think you will find that the propensity to speak in the manner I have outlined is more prevelant in what the OP describes as "rougher areas".

That's exactly what grammar is about. A system of structures to convey meaning. The less "grammared" an utterance, the less intelligible it is.
    Saying I done my research isn't really poor grammar because it retains the structure and words of the standard utterance, only changing the form of the verb. It's intelligible to any native speaker, and most non-native speakers.

Poor grammar would be saying something like Research me to do me.

Deviations from standard practice like these are probably more common in disadvantaged areas due to less social status being placed on education, and the existence of different speech patterns related to social grouping.

But these specific deviations are common enough across the board that I don't think you can really single people from disadvantaged areas for using them. And that's not even getting into more common deviations such as using "amount" and "less" to refer to countable nouns, or using "I used not" in place of "I didn't use to..."

And there are even "errors" one could solely identify with middle and upper classes. You won't find as many people from disadvantaged areas talking about someone "medalling" in the Olympics, or using the verb "to release" as an intransitive verb instead of its more established function as a transitive verb (e.g. saying a film "releases" tomorrow). Is it a grammatical error to change a word from one part of speech to another, or to change a verb's function? Those are far greater structural changes than using a past participle form of a verb instead of the past simple form.

Personally, I say no, they're not errors. It's just an example of how language usage varies between different groups yet still remains mutually intelligible.
    Which is great.

Also, you do see loads of small fellas with pitbulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭blackwhite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

The locals are ignorant of mathematics, yet are able to calculate a treble seventeen in a split second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StiffOldMan

Random trolley in the local park. Random horse in the local park

People pronouncing Mary as Merrrrrrie

Jacinta's

10/15 year old cars on the road with the bonnet open and/or missing at least one wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Poor grammar would be saying something like Research me to do me.

I thought that was Yoda :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

At night, half the coming and going cars have a inoperative front headlight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

Voting for Paul Murphy's crowd.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Shopping trolley with no wheels up on blocks

Voting for Paul Murphy's crowd.

AAA/PBP black and white meeting signs up 365 days a year.

A community center
    Speed Bumps Everywhere
    Oversized curbs
    A boxing club
    A local pub that changes its name every couple of years.
    A security guard at a small Spar/Centra
    Horses
    People Before Profit/AAA Posters
    With the exception of the boxing club and the horses, that sounds like Rathmines when I used to live there.

For any non Dubs, Rathmines is far from being a rough neighbourhood.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭VladamirP

The white people paint themselves black.

edit

or Hispanic if your in south central.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

When a perspective employer reads that part with your address on the CV and throws it straight in the thrash.

When a perspective employer reads that part with your address on the CV and throws it straight in the thrash.

I normally take the D11 and Dublin away and just say Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

VladamirP wrote: »
    I normally take the D11 and Dublin away and just say Ireland.

Possessing no actual knowledge of the Dublin area - I am going to say, that's a wise choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Some houses with boarded up windows, burnt out areas on the communal grass, dismantled cars on the front gardens, litter blowing around, children on the streets, many dogs barking at everything.

• Advertisement

Boarded-up pitbulls in pyjamas on blocks at the bookies.

Boarded-up pitbulls in pyjamas on blocks at the bookies.

With the owners teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Anyone living in a large Australian city will understand:
    - Any suburb with dingy looking run down shops with Arabic writing on the storefront/windows
    - Any suburb with young gentlemen either walking around barefoot or wearing the fashionable Nike Tn's with tight tracksuit ends

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

With the exception of the boxing club and the horses, that sounds like Rathmines when I used to live there.

For any non Dubs, Rathmines is far from being a rough neighbourhood.

The free-range nag variety of horse, or piebald pony he means.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

When even the local wildlife are tooled up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

A local shop looking like a garda cell with the lack of windows and bars on the few windows/doors there is.
    Guys with hot rocks.
    Honda Civics.
    Socks over tracksuit bottoms
    Women in leggings.
    Blonde overweight women with dark roots
    Women wearing tracksuit bottoms
    Anyone wearing tracksuit bottoms
    Children in pjs
    Small Children drinking fizzy drinks
    Women with horrific looking eyebrows
    Women with fake MK and a Paul's boutique jacket

In fairness all the posts talking about the people are disingenuous. What if you saw someone with trackie bottoms in say, grafton Street? Would that imply Grafton Street was a rough area. I think it's more the appearance of the area rather than the people you might see there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

HensVassal wrote: »
    In fairness all the posts talking about the people are disingenuous. What if you saw someone with trackie bottoms in say, grafton Street? Would that imply Grafton Street was a rough area. I think it's more the appearance of the area rather than the people you might see there.

With all due respect, that's rubbish.

The posts refer to a majority of the people observed not one or two.

The posts are very accurate in the main and are quite factual in their observation.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,081 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Bonfires are still burning.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

When you can't get a food delivery day or night.

So like in the countryside or the Aran Islands?

Advertisement