Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sure-Fire Signs That an area is Rough

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

degsie wrote: »
    The name: Bally(anything)
    Baile Átha Cliath

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

HensVassal wrote: »
    In fairness all the posts talking about the people are disingenuous. What if you saw someone with trackie bottoms in say, grafton Street? Would that imply Grafton Street was a rough area. I think it's more the appearance of the area rather than the people you might see there.

Pure rubbish.It very much includes the people in it,the people thst make the area rough. Grafton St is a laughable example. It is a public street in the middle of the city. Obviously all types will go through it. Not as bad as Henry St of course. (Pure Peasant street )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Pure rubbish.It very much includes the people in it,the people thst make the area rough. Grafton St is a laughable example. It is a public street in the middle of the city. Obviously all types will go through it. Not as bad as Henry St of course. (Pure Peasant street )

Why would you lower yourself to be among them then?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

Graffiti advt for RIRA or CIRA in different marker colours (just so ya'd know dare not da same....janorramean ?).
    The smaller imprint was placed first as the larger one was the inevitable 'shoutdown' in reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Street Art.... indecipherable squiggles everywhere and maybe something like "Fuk Off Gards" on a wall for good measure.

Bus shelters that used to have glass in them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Why would you lower yourself to be among them then?

Sadly, it is unavoidable ,one has to traverse through the area for work reasons.Yes , the notions of having to work,but how selfless of me. Alas, one tends to try to avoid the city centre during leisure time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭westcoast66

Although most rough areas have bonfires at halloween, you know you are in a real rough area when they mostly consist of washing machines and fridges!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Sadly, it is unavoidable ,one has to traverse through the area for work reasons.Yes , the notions of having to work,but how selfless of me. Alas, one tends to try to avoid the city centre during leisure time

If you throw scratchcards to your left and right you'll probably clear a path for yourself and get out of there more quickly to your office so you can slot into your place in the machine which is just as pointless and devoid of value, ultimately, as theirs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Are you Harold Lauder from The Stand?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Getting pregnant when you've nowhere to live and expecting the social and the community welfare officer to buy your cot your travel system and your maternity bag

And how, exactly, does that describe an area or have you just gone from pointing out features of a impoverished neighbourhood to sneering at poor people?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

There is a massive inflatable paddling pool in the middle of the street on a hot day which eventually is burst by shards of glass from a broken blue wicked bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

And how, exactly, does that describe an area or have you just gone from pointing out features of a impoverished neighbourhood to sneering at poor people?

i think having a large number of people like that in a place would be as legitimate an indication as any other in this thread that an area is rough as a badgers arse to be honest.

Its all just lighthearted banter anyway chillax

lawlolawl wrote: »
    There is a residents/regeneration committee headed by the 'soundest man on the estate' who is on the dole but works cash in hand for a few months of the year delivering coal for some lad who runs a fuel depot.

This guy is seen as a pillar of the community because he only has around 10 previous convictions and they are mostly for drunk and disorderly with 1 assault charge from headbutting someone in a pub carpark in an argument about a Liverpool match.

He will slowly siphon money from the committee until he is found out and he is run out of the estate when someone breaks all the windows in his council house.

Don't stop now, you're on a roll with your merry chuckling at the unwashed masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

a high sinn fein vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭CloudCumulus

Young boys with rats tail hairstyles and already an air of scumbag entitlement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Bicky bicky

So like in the countryside or the Aran Islands?

Not literally but good man yourself!

its exactly what thees areas need an influx of money and people who improve the property's , and the overall look and feel of the area , see it all over areas like Phibsborogh , Cabra , Glasnevin , Stoneybatter, Whitehall parts of Finglas ... there start to look like respectable areas in time house prices will force the gentrification of most of the suburbs close to the city center and that can only be a good thing.

The less working class and unemployed in an area the better and more desirable it becomes and the social problems and so on reduce. These concentrated areas with poverty and social problems that came out of government housing schemes from the 30's -70's need to be broken. No need to evict people , the market is simply pricing them out.

Whitehall? Since when was Whitehall a rough area? Corporation houses, yes, but never a rough area. Inhabited by salt of the earth types who all had jobs. No crime or graffiti in the area ever apart from maybe "Aoife <heart> Johnner" in marker on the park bench. And no marauding gangs of youths. The parents there wouldn't stand for their kids getting up to any shit. Plus they had Ellenfield park with its tennis courts, playground and playing fields. Closest thing to a scrote in Whitehall would be a lad who left school after the Inter Cert to take on an apprenticeship as a cabinet maker.

I grew up close to the area and know it well. Used to like hanging out there sometimes as a young teen, the Whitehall girls were not shy at all :)

And Glasnevin? Some of the houses in Glasnevin make Ballsbridge look poor. Well not poor but Phibsboro and Glasnevin have some beautiful leafy avenues with redbricked houses you wouldn't get much change out of 800 or 900k for, and wouldn't look out of place in Rathgar or Dartry.
    There are parts of Glasnevin that are poorer but overall it's a generally ok area.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

Yea but that's only in Glasnevin North which, as everybody knows, is really Finglas East.

Whitehall? Since when was Whitehall a rough area? Corporation houses, yes, but never a rough area. Inhabited by salt of the earth types who all had jobs. No crime or graffiti in the area ever apart from maybe "Aoife <heart> Johnner" in marker on the park bench. And no marauding gangs of youths. The parents there wouldn't stand for their kids getting up to any shit. Plus they had Ellenfield park with its tennis courts, playground and playing fields. Closest thing to a scrote in Whitehall would be a lad who left school after the Inter Cert to take on an apprenticeship as a cabinet maker.

I grew up close to the area and know it well. Used to like hanging out there sometimes as a young teen, the Whitehall girls were not shy at all :)

And Glasnevin? Some of the houses in Glasnevin make Ballsbridge look poor. Well not poor but Phibsboro and Glasnevin have some beautiful leafy avenues with redbricked houses you wouldn't get much change out of 800 or 900k for, and wouldn't look out of place in Rathgar or Dartry.
    There are parts of Glasnevin that are poorer but overall it's a generally ok area.

Was more of a general observation not being critical of those areas at all there some of the areas i'm looking a buying in at the minute , just saying the gentrification of those central suburbs is a good thing that can only benifit the city in the long run , great mature hosing stock in those ares and the rougher / poorer element being totally priced out of the market now for the most part

infogiver wrote: »
    Struggle after struggle, year after year

Never fails to make the hair stand on the back of my neck 30 years later, his perfect Cockney accent resonating with millions of people all over the world

Cockney? Weller's from the Home Counties.

• Advertisement

forestgirl wrote: »
    When everyone in the town or area look alike.(looking like all inbred)
    Bouncy castles in gardens for darlings birthday parties.
    Men and women wearing those tacky tank tops
    Smoking on the street,parking in shop doorways
    Shouting in the street
    People wearing tattoos....yuck and tack
    Men with earrings......soo tacky

You don't post much I see but when you do you post crap.

Such yuck and tack!

Mod-Banned

forestgirl wrote: »
    Haha no hint
    Another thing I do not like is men and women thinking it's okay to wear track suit bottoms into town like how gross is that and they normally do not even fit right

Like, totally :rolleyes:

Anywhere with Villas or gardens in the street name.

This thread has been great Craic to read actually. Shame the wannabe champions for the working class and "most vuldnerdable" have to turn it into a boring social science, anti middle class rant.

Doubt you could afford to live in this kip, Hans:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3684332,-6.2487536,3a,75y,17.86h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sKur2vaRN4ihVDjQubzBfaw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DKur2vaRN4ihVDjQubzBfaw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D10.881842%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

You don't post much I see but when you do you post crap.

Such yuck and tack!

chill out man its all just a bit of a laugh

to be fair some tatoo's are pretty tacky but not really the preserve of those in rougher areas thanks to the major upsurge in hipsters hahahaha

And i always to get a laugh out those names on dodgy estates some crappy little flat in something mansions , Villas in estates with rotten little two up two down councils houses , avenues in estates where any trees that were once there have been long since burnt or kicked down like it is pretty ironic.

and some of those cheap ill fitting track bottoms are pretty gank looking

• Registered Users Posts: 31 raycre

People been aggressively rude to servers in fast food premises for no reason..... (:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

raycre wrote: »
    People been aggressively rude to servers in fast food premises for no reason..... (:

People spelling 'being', 'been'

:P

I did it in work email once myself - to my horror

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭bobbyss

In fairness all the posts talking about the people are disingenuous. What if you saw someone with trackie bottoms in say, grafton Street? Would that imply Grafton Street was a rough area. I think it's more the appearance of the area rather than the people you might see there.

We all know what we are talking about here. No need to imply this or that.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 raycre

People spelling 'being', 'been'

:P

I did it in work email once myself - to my horror

I did (grammar)NAZI see that coming !!! (:

With all due respect, that's rubbish.

The posts refer to a majority of the people observed not one or two.

The posts are very accurate in the main and are quite factual in their observation.

Well the thread title was about signs that an area was rough yet self-righteous, smuglings such as yourself immediatley went on a rant sneering at the garb of poor people in general and the behaviour of hypothetical criminals. We had Lt Dan not even being subtle in his clamouring to have poorer areas sealed off and their utility services cut off......for fun.

• Advertisement

Well the thread title was about signs that an area was rough yet self-righteous, smuglings such as yourself immediatley went on a rant sneering at the garb of poor people in general and the behaviour of hypothetical criminals. We had Lt Dan not even being subtle in his clamouring to have poorer areas sealed off and their utility services cut off......for fun.

dont think thats true at all to be fair

Advertisement