Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sure-Fire Signs That an area is Rough

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Hanwellian

Aldi & Lidl included as my experience of when they first came to Uk was in poor areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Hanwellian wrote: »
    Aldi & Lidl included as my experience of when they first came to Uk was in poor areas.

That was indeed the case here too, but it wasn't long before their car-parks started to fill up with Mercs, Jags and BMWs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Halloween bonfires burning in March

90% house/apartment occupancy levels at 1pm (other 10% at work)

Large queues out the door of the post office on dole day.

Joking aside, plenty of good, hard working and friendly people in rough areas. And if you ask nicely, you'll get a jant on a horse

• Registered Users Posts: 19,595 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Heyor boyiz, he sayin we're bleedin Brits!

Gerrim!

Meanwhile, i'm quite fond of a lot of these things (no harm in a choice of chippers within walking distance, is there?), but seriously, what's the craic with the hands down the jocks? Good Lord, when I was a lad, hands in the pockets was a givaway of the ne'er do well whelp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

Horses with heads out the living room windows.

Ugly people walking ugly rottweiler type dogs and not carrying plastic bags to pick up poo.

Children as young as six out on bikes in the dark with no lights, no helmets and in gangs.

No flowers in the gardens, no sign that anyone does any upkeep at all.

Horrid lurid light up santys and over the top lights in the untidy gardens, who is paying the electricity bill in January, probably the Vincent de Paul.

• Advertisement

Hands down the jocks & walking with a limp.

Really feckin annoying, I just laugh at em as they pass looking shiftily at the pavement.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Too long to read all, so apologies if these are already mentioned, but mine would be:

- Trackie blokes with any dog from dangerous dogs list
    - Young lads doing wheelies on the path
    - Overuse of Xmas lights on terraced house
    - Decorative tat on houses (example)
    - Shopping complex pub, with bars over windows
    - General rubble on roadway
    - "Pushers out" graffiti
    - Black flags (more of an '80s thing really)
    - Pigeon club

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I would love a sit down chipper! Never gonna happen in a real rough area though - too much hassle. The only sit down chipper I know is in Ballsbridge.

Always been a sit down chipper or two in ballymun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Like in Ranelagh and Rathmines. Two sure-fire rough areas.

Ranelagh has an Aldi/Lidl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Saipanne wrote: »

Ranelagh has a Lidl. Rathmines has both of them, as does Terenure. It's only Rathgar and Clonskeagh putting up the good fight to keep the riff raff out.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Saipanne wrote: »

There was a Lidl at the triangle, just down from Super Valu. Maybe it's gone now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Glenster wrote: »
    People wearing jogging bottoms who aren't currently jogging

"Dogs are welcome" signs outside the pub

a sit down chipper

kids wearing light-up trainers

Minorities

Old ladies with trolleys

Rough areas have hip pubs?

Anyway, and not in direct reference to the above post: This thread is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Lots of available parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Even the local wildlife want to fight you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I just stopped two little scumbags trying to rob a bike locked to a pole right beside my house.
    That's my windows getting broken tonight.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Hands down the jocks & walking with a limp.

Really feckin annoying, I just laugh at em as they pass looking shiftily at the pavement.

I normally roar over "Has it fallen off yet?" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Can anyone tell me where the fad for having your hands down the front of your tracksuit pants comes from? Not so fashionable right now, but it was a few years ago.... Baffles me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

seachto7 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where the fad for having your hands down the front of your tracksuit pants comes from? Not so fashionable right now, but it was a few years ago.... Baffles me.

Nah, it still goes on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

To me it came from "Married with children"

Apparently psychologically speaking it's a sign of insecurity. They're literally protecting they're most vulnerable bits. But they don't know that or that that's why they're doing It.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

david75 wrote: »
    Apparently psychologically speaking it's a sign of insecurity. They're literally protecting they're most vulnerable bits. But they don't know that or that that's why they're doing It.

Couldn't agree more..

Watched one of our local "hardmen" walk past my house last week doing his level best to look as hard as possible with his hard man swagger..

I had a bit of a giggle as he doesn't realise it bless him but but it just screams insecurity to me..

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

Are their hands not disgusting ? The groin is the sweatiest part of the body gross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

'Free the Jobstown Five' posters!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

You can buy Mach 3 blades in the local boozer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Houses refurbished to within an inch of their lives even though no one who lives in them has ever had a job.

Queuing outside post office on a Thursday before it has opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The local shop is a modified shipping container.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Houses refurbished to within an inch of their lives even though no one who lives in them has ever had a job.
    Country estates aren't typically rough to be fair. Unless you mean the wildlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Pubs with flat roofs

• Advertisement

Country estates aren't typically rough to be fair. Unless you mean the wildlife.

Or unless they're in cork

Advertisement