Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the weather like in your area 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

ganmo wrote: »
    Anyone else looking for a drop?
    :D

Ya stirring it, G?

I'm normally the one looking for it early but should be OK for a week at least. Must get Lime out the start of next week so I'll join you then:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

I could use a shower of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,366 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Piss off you lot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Anyone else looking for a drop?

Go and boil yer head. :D Putting out slurry here tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Ya stirring it, G?

I'm normally the one looking for it early but should be OK for a week at least. Must get Lime out the start of next week so I'll join you then:pac:

I've a few icbs collecting water for the ewes in one of the sheds lambing and they're nearly empty

• Advertisement

I've a few icbs collecting water for the ewes in one of the sheds lambing and they're nearly empty
    You're far enough North that you might get a sup of rain by the weekend so, hopefully.

Jeeze, you have to be careful talking about rain on here and not knowing who wants it and who's pulling the wee:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Spread fertiliser on silage ground yesterday, still a few wet patches. Will be the weekend before I can roll it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I hope this burst of grass the FJ is talking about arrives soon, this cold wind is starting to irritate me. Grass still tight here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yep grass getting tight here too. i have a few cows and calves and a bunch of dry hoggets on silage field theres a bit of picking for them but i think i might have to get out fertiliser very soon for silage and get stock off it. really need a shower of rain and bit of heat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

I hope this burst of grass the FJ is talking about arrives soon, this cold wind is starting to irritate me. Grass still tight here

Grass flying out of the ground here problem is buying stock to ate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

I said wrote: »

What part of country are you in?...feck All growth in North West the last while,very cold in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

What part of country are you in?...feck All growth in North West the last while,very cold in general.

What's the soil temperature?

Edited to say you can look it up on the Met Eireann website and pick your nearest station if you have no way of measuring yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Cool day here today. Stopped some silage ground but will probably be baling 1 or 2 paddocks next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Cool day here today. Stopped some silage ground but will probably be baling 1 or 2 paddocks next week

I have paddocks i could cut too but nitrogen has just gone out so I'm strip grazing it. giving .5 ha to 200 ewes every 3 days, dry weather means they're grazing it off well....Was cursing the heavy grass but regrowths are poor elsewhere so glad to have it now.
    Some mild wet weather wouldn't do any harm here now,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

rangler1 wrote: »
    I have paddocks i could cut too but nitrogen has just gone out so I'm strip grazing it. giving .5 ha to 200 ewes every 3 days, dry weather means they're grazing it off well....Was cursing the heavy grass but regrowths are poor elsewhere so glad to have it now.
    Some mild wet weather wouldn't do any harm here now,

How do you handle strip grazing ? Do you use the gallagher reel for allocating grass ?

How do you handle strip grazing ? Do you use the gallagher reel for allocating grass ?

No, I have the electrified sheep netting for the last 20 years, must have 30 rolls of the stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Cool dry day here too.
    The horizon and sky is glowing orange tonight from the heather burning on the mountains.

A neighbour here has some paddocks mowed down for silage that got too far ahead of the cows. He had the cows inside on silage when I had mine out fulltime. The only consolation I give myself is all the silage I saved by having the cows out when his were in and it should do till next winter unless I need it for a scorcher of a summer. Not a hope yet here of mowing paddocks. They're well under control. Wether that's a good or bad complaint remains to be seen.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Cool dry day here too.
    The horizon and sky is glowing orange tonight from the heather burning on the mountains.

A neighbour here has some paddocks mowed down for silage that got too far ahead of the cows. He had the cows inside on silage when I had mine out fulltime. The only consolation I give myself is all the silage I saved by having the cows out when his were in and it should do till next winter unless I need it for a scorcher of a summer. Not a hope yet here of mowing paddocks. They're well under control. Wether that's a good or bad complaint remains to be seen.:rolleyes:

So his cows were inside eating expensive silage while yours were out grazing, and now he is out spending more money bailing paddocks instead of being on top of his grass, I don't see what your consoling yourself about, the fact that he won the willy waving competition that he cut silage earlier haha???

Timmaay wrote: »
    So his cows were inside eating expensive silage while yours were out grazing, and now he is out spending more money bailing paddocks instead of being on top of his grass, I don't see what your consoling yourself about, the fact that he won the willy waving competition that he cut silage earlier haha???
    What were his ground conditions like though. No point having them out mucking everything up just to beat the neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Pm sent

• Advertisement

I said wrote: »

You could get a shock when you do get it grazed, not great regrowths at the moment........anywhere there's grass is growing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭jaymla627

rangler1 wrote: »
    You could get a shock when you do get it grazed, not great regrowths at the moment........anywhere there's grass is growing

Was thinking the same this morning, it looked like at the weekend the place was going to explode with grass but since that temperatures have dropped and a very hash wind is blowing, forecast isnt to exciting either heading into next week

...feck All growth in North West the last while,very cold in general.

Same here in Midwest .the cold wind is killing growth

lovely moon out tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Same here in Midwest .the cold wind is killing growth

Same here in Laois. Thought the grass was going to explode last weekend but now this evening I am very tight. There is very poor regrowth.

Lovely morning, heading off rolling silage ground. Good enough growth here this last few days, cows going out at night from tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 24,366 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Lovely morning, heading off rolling silage ground. Good enough growth here this last few days, cows going out at night from tonight

https://youtu.be/RYnFIRc0k6E

Feels milder out there today, hopefully grass growing weather !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭Base price

+1 Temperature has risen from 7 earlier this morning to 11 now.
    Got the knapsack out and sprayed the nettles (feckers) under the beech hedge (before the leaves head out) and post/rail fencing.

• Advertisement

Growth seems good today here. Very warm and a drop of rain forecast for tomorrow.

Magic day is about to strike here.

Advertisement