Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the weather like in your area 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Highest march soil temp and growth since 2012, 2012 had a north wind and low soil temp for the whole of april after and the rest of the year was washout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Jesus I know its said often but the difference in weather is astonishing, we would be pretty close to athenry in the grand scheme of things ,half hour away,it got 34mm of snow/rain when we hot nothing. We had 6 really dry days with clear skies and small bits of frost in the morning, it felt like June cos the grass was so dry and it was warm enough and some light land seemed to be getting a small bit burned iykwim and then timmay who regularly has drought is getting poached as ****. Its unbelievable really

It made up for it last night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

rangler1 wrote: »
    Highest march soil temp and growth since 2012, 2012 had a north wind and low soil temp for the whole of april after and the rest of the year was washout

Do you keep a diary ? I have one here but never keep it filled , it's interesting to be able to look back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I'd say we got over half an inch of rain last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Bullocks wrote: »
    Do you keep a diary ? I have one here but never keep it filled , it's interesting to be able to look back

yea, OH keeps a diary and has a little weather funnel and soil thermometer, 6ml last night....we've had very litlle rain this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Damp evening here. Can visibly see the place greening up the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Muckit wrote: »
    Damp evening here. Can visibly see the place greening up the last few days.

Yeah as much as I give out about the rain all bar the wettest spots will drive on after it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Looks like Base Price is getting hammered over there! (Cavan looks black as well from here)

87XemDDl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

There was a feckin monsoon here at around 5.30 today, back to square -50 again as regards ground conditions. Might get cattle out in June :pac:

tanko wrote: »
    There was a feckin monsoon here at around 5.30 today, back to square -50 again as regards ground conditions. Might get cattle out in June :pac:

I think I hit that one in the car, had to stop talking to Mum as I wasn't able to hear her over the rain on the roof :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I came across this article just now and said I'd throw it up as a contrast to the rain we've been having this last few weeks. it's a small bit about the wildfires that destroyed huge swaths of Mid and Western American plains.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/20/us/burying-their-cattle-ranchers-call-wildfires-our-hurricane-katrina.html?_r=1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Looks like Base Price is getting hammered over there! (Cavan looks black as well from here)

87XemDDl.jpg
    OH is back home and he said that the ground is dry about the yard while he was feeding the younger calves that are on tad.

As an aside - cracking picture Kovu.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Base price wrote: »
    As an aside - cracking picture Kovu.

Kov- who?;)

Kov- who?;)

Arrah don't mind her, talks to cats that one :D

Arrah don't mind her, talks to cats that one :D
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Base price wrote: »
    OH is back home and he said that the ground is dry about the yard while he was feeding the younger calves that are on tad.
    Fierce downpour around 8, then again at 930/10.
    Can forget about slurry for awhile

Farrell wrote: »
    Fierce downpour around 8, then again at 930/10.
    Can forget about slurry for awhile

Told ya! Gat a great view up here so I do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Told ya! Gat a great view up here so I do :D

If you were any good, sure you would of done the few things to save me getting wet : - P ...... or maybe that was the intendion 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Lashing rain here in Leitrim....ground had soaked well earlier in week but the last 48 hours have undone all that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Plenty rain last night again, was gonna chance cows out again today but will need some drying before going out again. Was warmer last night at 9 than it is now. Will be back to cows walking over the public road to get them in the top of paddocks when we do go back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Smashing morning here. Sunny but cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Just a quick question, whats the general schedule for spreading slurry/dung?
    Is it just every dry sunny day or is there an actual timeline?
    Because round these parts every bloody time there's a decent day for getting clothes washed and dried there seems to be some yoke out on a tractor spreading sh1te! And as a result, spreading smell all across the area and into my laundry!!!
    I grew up beside a farm, slurry smell was never as bad 20yrs ago as it is now, and definitely the regularity of it now is unreal! What's changed???
    Every bit of fine weather we got last year drew them out in droves!

And on a Sunday!!! The lords day! Give it a rest ffs!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Lovely sunny day here great drying in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,366 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I said wrote: »
    Lovely sunny day here great drying in it.

Going at slurry?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Reggie. wrote: »
    Going at slurry?

Possibly dung

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Because round these parts every bloody time there's a decent day for getting clothes washed and dried there seems to be some yoke out on a tractor spreading sh1te! And as a result, spreading smell all across the area and into my laundry!!!
    I grew up beside a farm, slurry smell was never as bad 20yrs ago as it is now, and definitely the regularity of it now is unreal! What's changed???

If it's spread in rain or when rain is forecast it's liable to run into drains/watercourses. So it's for the benefit of the environment that it's spread on sunny days.
    Regularity? There's more sheds around than 20yrs ago, modernisation has gotten rid of the byre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Cherrycola wrote: »

You can spread slurry any day outside November to 15th January, or 31st January in Northern counties. Those are the strictly NO Spreading Days.

After that, you can spread any day as long as conditions allow, ie rain and field conditions and you shouldn't be spreading.

Despite the weather being ideal for most of November this year, land dry and grass growing, no slurry was able to be spread due to the legislation. And, typically, as soon as it was legally allowable to spread, both rain and terrible ground conditions arrived to prevent spreading unless it was critical.

Therefore, slurry that would have been spread in January and February wasn't spread and now farmers are taking EVERY opportunity to get it out, Sunday, Monday, bank holiday or whatever. Them is the hands we were dealt.

Welcome to rural life:)

Reggie. wrote: »
    Going at slurry?

Flat out

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Possibly dung

Tomorrow

Advertisement